Need some motivation! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-20-2007, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My apartment is trashed! We started out pretty good when we moved in, but it has become a disorganized mess. Part of the issue is that we simply don't have places for everything. Our vaccuum cleaner is quite large and cumbersome, and takes up so much space in the ONE closet we have in the place (it's actually the pantry, but we multipurpose it). It's also a pain to get out and - consequently - we don't vaccuum as often as we should. Considering our eating area is on carpeted floor, this is an obvious issue.

The bedrooms - oh my goodness! Our closet is maybe 2 feet in length, and - while we don't have a LOT of clothing - everything is so crammed and cluttered. Again, because we don't have a linen closet or any storage space at all, this closet needs to be multi-purpose. It holds ALL of mine and DH's clothing and out of season stuff, along with my art supplies (2 small bins), and important documents.

The kids room is horrible. They share, and their closet is just as small as ours. They don't have a ton of toys, but even still, there are always toys everywhere. I don't understand!!

My desk is probably the worst area, as it's where I spend most of my time. I have one small desk and can't afford to upgrade it just yet. So it's piled high with instruction books for various programs I frequenly use, projects I'm working on, and always quickly gets cluttered with coffee cups. :P

I'm good at cleaning, and everything looks wonderful when it's tidy. But it never stays that way for long, mainly because I have nowhere to put anything!

Help? I'm hoping to tackle this over the next couple of days, so we have a sparkly, clean, and organized apartment for the holidays. I need a jump start here. I just can't get motivated. I'm too overwhelmed!
#2 of 3 Old 12-20-2007, 01:27 PM

go to flylady.com and read some of her hints. Pick one area to start with and do small spurts of cleaning. I speak from experience...you CAN do this! good luck and get to it!

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#3 of 3 Old 12-20-2007, 04:39 PM

i have a couple of suggestions, which may require either a little $$$ or some clever scrounging for items others don't want.

1. the vacuum. if your carpeting under your table is low-pile, you could use a hokey to do the daily clean up, which can be stored on a hook on the back of a door. or, if your vacuum is huge, glorious, and covetable, maybe someone wants to trade with you for a smaller, more practical model?

2. your bedroom closet. important documents? put them in a big envelope or folder labelled "important documents" and stash that elsewhere. i know you said space in your desk is limited, but what about right under your desk, right behind it (between it and the wall), under your sofa, on top of your fridge, on top of a kitchen cupboard - or just upright against a side wall of your closet? they can't take up that much room. do the same for everything else that doesn't belong in your closet. use underbed storage, or box up out-of-season stuff, keeping the boxes on the floor of your closet. whatever is sitting on the floor of your closet right now, can sit on top of the box(es).

3. kids room. do they have furniture to store the toys in and they just aren't putting them away, or do the toys not have a place to go? again you can use the space under the bed for extra clothes, or for small toys, books, whatever. if you need storage furniture, open shelving is easiest for kids. you can probably find something at goodwill or salvation army, but i also think those wire cubes from target are practical and handy. it's $15 or $20 for a box, which makes a 2x3 shelf unit (so six cubes), and they're also good in closets. in my last apartment, i had them in my livingroom (holding craft supplies, magazines, etc), covered up with fabric.

4. your desk. what about a shelf or a little crate to store your books in, right above or right next to your desk? you can get brackets and a plank very cheaply, or you may be able to find a wooden crate for free (grocer, liquor store). coffee cups? pick one! reuse, you don't even have to wash it for weeks at a time. (seriously, i never wash mine )

we are also a family of four with two bedrooms and few closets, so you have my sympathy. we have an unfinished basement, though, for storage - i don't know what i would do without it. the truth is, i can sit here and tell you what to do, but i need major intervention myself! good luck and happy organizing.

marisa
klaus 9-8-05
sonnen 3-25-07

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page