Help! No Dresser, No closet... Ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-25-2007, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, the truth is, I have a dresser but I am coming to terms with the fact that I apparently cannot use it. As much as I want to use it and keep my room tidy, I just can't. So, it's time for another solution. Anyone have great ideas for clothes storage (that is tidy, not just stuff shoved on a shelf) that doesn't involve a closet or a dresser? Or am I looking for the impossible?

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2007, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
How about a big heap on the floor?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 12-25-2007, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

That's where we are now and it grosses me out! I've (finally) got good systems in place for just about everything else, even getting the laundry sorted, washed and folded. I just CANNOT get myself to put it away! It's really annoying me but I know there's a solution somewhere... I hope

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
Old 12-25-2007, 07:50 PM

have room for a free standing clothes rack?
Old 12-25-2007, 08:24 PM

Would an armoire work better for you? Then you can hang some things up.

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
Old 12-25-2007, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Why can't the dresser be used? Is it too small? Drawers too hard to open? You have too many clothes to fit comfortably in it? You can't bend to reach the bottom drawers?

Do you have room for more furniture, or at least some plastic furniture-like things?

It's hard to make concrete suggestions without knowing how the room is laid out and the specific reason you can't use the dresser (ie, we may make suggestions that won't work for the same reason the dresser won't work.)

Or you could just move the heap of clothing from the floor to a chair.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 12-25-2007, 08:31 PM

for ds's dresser, we use one of those rubbermaid drawer units they work great!
Old 12-26-2007, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Why can't the dresser be used? Is it too small? Drawers too hard to open? You have too many clothes to fit comfortably in it? You can't bend to reach the bottom drawers?
Sorry. Guess I wasn't clear that the problem lies completely with me. I can't seem to get the folded clothes put away. Really it's just that simple. And it's only my clothes. I can get ds' and dh's put away, but for some reason my clothes never make it into the dresser. I think in general, I work best with open-type storage solutions. I'm a very visual person and can manage to maintain a system if I can easily see where everything is supposed to go. And then I can keep it clean as well as tidy. But for some reason folding clothes into a dresser isn't, hasn't and I'm just gonna admit probably won't ever be a good clothing storage solution for me. I can't hang in the closet because the closet (one of 2 in the house) is used for other storage that can't be put elsewhere at this point in time. So, I'm looking for ideas that would take roughly the same footprint as a dresser that would work with who I apparently am. I have spent a lot of energy trying to change this particular personality um, quirk (shall we call it?) and I just cannot seem to change it by force of habit (I've truly spent years trying).

So, I guess the real question is what non-folding clothing storage solutions are there? Hanging the clothes? Not folding the clothes in tubs on a shelf? I like the armoire suggestion someone had earlier though I'm not sure there's enough room for it. The bedroom is 8'x10' and is almost wall-to-wall bed (Queen running along the 8" wall). At the foot of the bed (with a clearance of ~1 1/2 ft) are two dressers side by side, positioned between the entrance and the closet door. There is nowhere else to put anything. (But I like my small house ) I'm having a hard time coming up with a creative solution here, so I've come to you ladies for assistance!

Old 12-26-2007, 04:15 AM

clothes baskets to sort stuff in pants here, shirts there, undies and socks there... no need to fold, just toss in, just make sure the basket isn't too small that the clothes get tossed out when you are pilaging through them., tall baskets are't as good, the rectagular shorter ones are better to pilage through.

to gain vertical space save, could you use a table/shelf that a couple baskets fit under with enough room for you to actually get in there and look around and the top could hold more baskets.

for your 'fancier stuff' (for me that would be the sweatshirts without the blobs on the front that won't come out) could they be hung on bathrobe/coat type hooks that were either screwed into the wall or screwd into a board hung on the wall.

disorder can look 'neat' if there is a system!
Old 12-26-2007, 07:45 AM

If you can manage to get your clothes folded but not into an actual drawer, maybe you could stack them on a bookcase? Same footprint as a dresser, but you'd be able to see the clothes at a glance.

If you can put the clothes away but can't seem to fold them, maybe a whole bunch of hooks Shaker peg-style would work? Minimal effort and a bit of visual clutter but it would be beat having stuff all over the floor.

You could also try plastic / fabric boxes under your bed and just throw your stuff into the appropriate box, rather than on the floor.

Or maybe some cute boxes or baskets on change table shelves for your larger stuff and then on the top, you could put little baskets for undies and socks and the like?
Old 12-26-2007, 02:48 PM

what about something like:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50103086

similar to the bookshelf suggestion, and you can get little cubes to fit right into the spaces, to hold things you don't want exposed. add hooks to the ends, to hang up a few things.

or if you think hanging might be the solution, but don't have a closet, how about a wardrobe, like:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/14903207

or they have lots of other ones, so you can find the material and dimensions you prefer. that is just a cheapie.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:38 PM

I'd do a freestanding clothing rack (like http://www.organize.com/frestanwarwi.html) and then put pretty wicker baskets up on top for things like socks, undies and bras that won't hang easily.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:53 AM

My husband and I both have ADD, and we can't use dressers or any closed clothing storage, either.

I have a wire cubby system in the spare bedroom that holds all my clothes, neatly folded. Its out in the open, and it's got open baskets the size of the wire cubbies to hold things like underwear, bras, socks. Shirts, skirts, pants, and jammies are just neatly folded on the shelf. Hats and scarves hang from the corners. I'm in the middle of re-doing the spare room to hold an actual guest bed (and crib, as we may be fostering soon) and so I think I'll put a japanese screen in front of the shelving unit just to keep it hidden partially, but still accessible so I'll put my clothes away!

My husband cannot be that neat and cute with his stuff, so he has shelves built into a closet (we took the hang bar out and built in open shelving) and he keeps all his stuff there. Same concept, but we can shut the door on it if his folding is a little askew.

Also, a labelmaker is your friend. Label where your clothes go so you don't have to think when it's time to put them away. My Brother Ptouch was about $20 and it was the best investment I ever made in terms of home organization - I use it everwhere for this very purpose.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions! After reading these posts and some other threads, I decided yesterday that I could figure out somewhere else for the stuff that was in the closet and I'm gonna try just hanging EVERYTHING. Hopefully I can figure out a way to work with myself! That and I am getting rid of even more clothing. Cause really, there's only so much a body can wear!

Old 12-27-2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocks_box View Post
Also, a labelmaker is your friend. Label where your clothes go so you don't have to think when it's time to put them away. My Brother Ptouch was about $20 and it was the best investment I ever made in terms of home organization - I use it everwhere for this very purpose.
I love the label maker. To be honest, I miss the one I had. I'm ADHD and having stuff labeled worked so well.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:43 AM

I have a closet from ikea..
For the kids I have wooden shelving with plastic bins on it, I keep it all up high so the 2 year old cant spread his clotehs all over the house. It looks great when it's tidy but sometimes it gets messy looking so I'm thinking of putting curtains in front of the shelving to ease my eyes. I can stick more messy looking things behind there that way too.

User Tag List