Oh you shouldnt have! No really you shouldn have!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 84 Old 12-30-2007, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyavery View Post
The Gift: The video game system for preschoolers, along with 6 games, the dancing playmat, and the video book that connects to it along with the reads-you-a-book system for infants.

The Giver: my mom's new husband

Reaction: DD opend about half the gifts before curling into my lap and saying "this is all a little much for me."

It will go in:
Grandma's house where her new husband can enjoy seeing the kids play with the games he selected.
#62 of 84 Old 12-30-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlutterBee View Post
Oooh, we have a rotisserie and we love it!! We use it weekly, I used to roast chicken but this gives it incredible tenderness and flavor.
But we can't afford whole chickens and the basket it came with is too small to fit a single piece of chicken in . Ok, all this talk of chicken is making me :
#63 of 84 Old 12-30-2007, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This thread is cracking me up.

The gift: A Barbie doll from my grandmother who knows we are anti-Barbie, brought up by my visiting parents for my six-year-old

The reaction: Since my grandma wasn't here we spent ten minutes talking about how she just doesn't listen, and I warned Katie Grace that Barbie's days in the house were numbered

What we did: I bought it from Katie Grace for $5 and pitched it. I'll probably fish it out of the trash and toss it in the Rescue Mission box
~*~*~

The gifts: A whole mess of made in China plastic toys from MIL, given after we had a whole talk about not giving made in China or plastic toys

The reaction: The kids loved them. Nicholas especially loved all the cars, because all of his Matchbox-type cars have myteriously "disappeared" over the last few months

What we'll do: Well, since the kids opened everything, I guess they'll play with them a bit before they "disappear" as well
~*~*~
The gift: A wooden puzzle that has batteries and makes noise

The reaction: Thanks!

What we'll do: Keep the toy but lose the batteries

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#64 of 84 Old 12-30-2007, 11:47 PM

The gift: hunting knife(double blade scary looks like a Klingon weapon)...I think

Your reaction: Great thanks ! now I need to find some Romulan's.....

It will go great in the:
Car just in case someone tries to car jack me..its scary but not sharp...or in case I find a romulan

that one took the cake to much junk to list....
#65 of 84 Old 12-31-2007, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
This thread is cracking me up.
s
You think this is funny, check out the one in TAO!! the mil revisited one had me almost peeing in my pants.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#66 of 84 Old 12-31-2007, 07:44 AM

Well we got a funny box of Chanukah/Birthday presents from my grandfather-in-law.

First he called up to tell me "Happy Birthday!"

I said, "Ummm, it isn't my birthday. It's not for two months."

Anyway... he wanted to find out if the box he sent us arrived. It hadn't, but we were got a slip for it that day and went to pick it up.

On the phone, he told me that he sent me a beautiful gold bracelet that had belonged to his mother. He said he also sent us two watches, one for me and one for dh, and two chains, one for each of our girls. Since I hadn't seen the gifts yet, all I could say was, "Thank you so much! It's nice to get a gift and it's not even my birthday!" although I have opened some of his "interesting" gifts in the past.

When we opened the box, we saw the bracelet. It was actually kind of cool. It does appear to be antique, although it is not a style I could ever see myself wearing anywhere. I'm not really a jewelry person and when I do wear some, I stick to white metals (the bracelet is made of yellow gold). In any case, I appreciate the history of it.

The watches: two men's watches. These look like they have been pulled out of his own drawer of things he no longer wears. Both are scratched up, besides the fact that I won't wear a men's watch.

The chains
: two very thin, long gold chains with small gold charms, also obviously not new. Our daughters are aged 2 and 5. They will just break these, and the chains are so long, I doubt they will be appropriate before they are teens.

Also included:

A pair of weird cufflinks
. The cufflinks have what look like writhing human bodies on them. Dh doesn't have anything with which to wear cufflinks, but okay. They look like something else decluttered from grandpa's drawer.

An old "World Radio". It works, but only gets local stations, hmmm.

A 2-CD set of Israeli music. Again, this is not new, and I suspect it has come out of grandpa’s personal collection.

A small digital clock. Looks like something from a dollar store, or from grandpa's junk drawer.

A single new-looking (although without tags) blue hand towel.

A random power cord that does not go with any of the other items in the box.

Three yarmulkes. One is white with silver embroidery. It looks old and like something one would wear at a wedding. I wonder where he got it. The other two are small leather yarmulkes, with other people's names on the inside. One says it belongs to "LIOR". No one in the family named Lior. I wonder where he got these two; did he raid the "free yarmulke" basket at his synagogue???
#67 of 84 Old 12-31-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinahYeteirah View Post
Well we got a funny box of Chanukah/Birthday presents from my grandfather-in-law.

. . .
Three yarmulkes. One is white with silver embroidery. It looks old and like something one would wear at a wedding. I wonder where he got it. The other two are small leather yarmulkes, with other people's names on the inside. One says it belongs to "LIOR". No one in the family named Lior. I wonder where he got these two; did he raid the "free yarmulke" basket at his synagogue???
: For some reason that last line totally has me cracking up! I can't even begin to imagine the thought process behind sending someone not ONE, but THREE used yarmulkes.
#68 of 84 Old 01-02-2008, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreemama View Post
I'm actually starting to enjoy my collection.
:
#69 of 84 Old 01-02-2008, 09:50 AM

mice!?!

Needless to say we are bringing them back to her!

What was she thinking??

I have 2 children with Autism. I don't need mice to care for, guard from the children, and think about!

Aaaaahhhhh!

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4
#70 of 84 Old 01-02-2008, 09:57 AM

It actually moves rather well for it's size. It goes forward and back and it turns while moving so it's rather manueverable. It also says "My name is Mega Mech. I am your personal robot. How many I assist you?" in a robot-y voice.

Problem is my children with Autism are afraid of it! LOL! The fact that it is still off gassing doesn't help.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5679530

I feel bad my SIL wasted $20 (the invoice was on the box) but glad she didn't pay $34.94 like the link I posted shows it costs!
#71 of 84 Old 01-02-2008, 12:08 PM

ummm BIL and SIL got DH a robotic R2D2. You can give it commands and stuff. You know the $125 one from sharper image? WTH am I gonna go with it? Sure the 3 yo likes it but he can not make it work he just turns it on and it beeps all freaking day! DH "played" with it while they were here and has not touched it since except to turn it off......... LOL hmmmm where to sell it now.
#72 of 84 Old 01-02-2008, 12:12 PM

The gift: A pair of what must be size 18 socks (there was no tag) for DH, who wears size 9 shoes, in his stocking from parents.

Your reaction: HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH, is Santa on drugs??

It will go great: ..on his feet, with the heels sitting just below the back of his knees. No joke. These are seriously the BIGGEST socks I have ever seen in my life.

The gift: Matching plastic guns for all of the kids, that flash, make loud noises, and vibrate - from their grandparents.

Your reaction: Um.....wow.... Just wow.... (our no gun rule is really the only strict "toy rule" we have. Heck, I'd even take a freaking BARBIE over these things).

It will go great in the: grandparent's house. They're staying there. If they want to buy nasty, noisy toys, I'm sure they'd love to enjoy them while the kids are visiting. :P
#73 of 84 Old 01-02-2008, 12:33 PM

ok--here goes--

my soon to be 17 yo son went Christmas shopping--awesome gift for me by the way he even called to check whatsize flogging molly tshirt I would like. THEN he comes home and shows me the gifts he bought for his 8 yo brother and 8 yo nephew---Plastic light sabers! Those star wars collapsible light sabers that they have been making since the 70's. His whole purpose for buying this is because he thought the light saber battle between 8 yo's would be HILARIOUS to watch. :

so then--it get worse--christmas morning the 8yo's are opening their presents and what does my dh buy them--PAINTBALL GUNS--17yo was just about to die from laughing--he was like come on kids lets go outside and shoot eat other yay! luckily both 8yo seem to understand that [aintballs would hurt and they never even tried to shoot each other. There was also no grand light saber battle either-much to ds's disappointment.

where will these gifts go?

well the paintball gun is currently hiding in the bottom of the laundry basket andthe light saber is behind ds's (8yo) bed--both places that no one ever looks except me LOL!

IF I have anymore kids at least one needs to be a girl.

mother, wife, sister, friend--step mom to one grown man and mommy to 3 boys-ages 19, 10 and 4
#74 of 84 Old 01-02-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1gg1e View Post
The gift: hunting knife(double blade scary looks like a Klingon weapon)...I think

It will go great in the:
Car just in case someone tries to car jack me..its scary but not sharp...or in case I find a romulan

I laughed a lot at your post, as a big star trek fan!
#75 of 84 Old 01-02-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zersha View Post
I actually heard it's a good idea to do this so the poor kids don't have to be sitting there on Christmas while mom & dad spend hours trying to get the darn toy out of all the packaging & can just play with it right away. Maybe she heard this too and is just trying to help??? Not actually trying to force you to keep it.
I was gonna say that too...i thinkshe was trying to be nice, not stop you from being able to return it.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#76 of 84 Old 01-02-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaveggie View Post
Great idea, but I want to see pictures!
The gift: http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f8...C/DSC04973.jpg A piece of wood shaped like a sled 1 foot by 1 foot with 2 rows of hooks on it. It came with a tag "For women who love Lia Sophia jewelry or other jewelry." It is supposed to hold necklaces but it looks like a key hook. Btw, his wife loves Lia Sophia and owns almost the enitre catalog. The jewelry is fairly expensive for being so poorly made. He stained them all the color that his wife likes and made one for her, each of his step-daughters and me. He told me I am supposed to hang it on the wall in my bedroom.

Your reaction fil. How clever! His wife must have felt the same way, because she hung hers in the closet.

It will go great in the:
Hallway to hang our keys.

The gift: http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f8...C/DSC04975.jpg A doll bed I commissioned fil to make. I gave him a picture with the dimensions, thinking he couldn't screw it up. I was wrong. The bed was beautiful, just like the picture except that her woodburned dd's name and the word baby into it. Along with a garish heart. They also bought a hideous baby, that came with a polyester pillow, blanket, disposable diaper and bottle. As soon as dd opened the present, fil's wife took the doll out of the box so it couldn't be returned and we found out it smelled like baby powder. DD, not having used a bottle, said that it was baby medicine. I told fil's wife that we didn't want anymore babies, just the bed but she didn't listen.

Your reaction: Oh thank you (trying to cover up the fact that I was horrified) He smiled and said he has to make one for our other dd now, because he put dd1's name on it.

It will go great in the:
I wish I could sand out the uglies, but I will make a fluffy matress out of muslin and a pillow and hope that it covers it up. I am also going to make a quilt for it.
aw...except for the ugly baby, i think this is a sweet gift and he did a nice job

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#77 of 84 Old 01-02-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1gg1e View Post

It will go great in the:

:

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#78 of 84 Old 01-02-2008, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntLavender View Post
mice!?!

Needless to say we are bringing them back to her!

What was she thinking??

I have 2 children with Autism. I don't need mice to care for, guard from the children, and think about!

Aaaaahhhhh!

Sincerely,
Like real alive mice, you mean the ones people spend money to have killed in their home?? The ones my dh has set traps for? whatever!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#79 of 84 Old 01-02-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnutter View Post
ok--here goes--

my soon to be 17 yo son went Christmas shopping--awesome gift for me by the way he even called to check whatsize flogging molly tshirt I would like. THEN he comes home and shows me the gifts he bought for his 8 yo brother and 8 yo nephew---Plastic light sabers! Those star wars collapsible light sabers that they have been making since the 70's. His whole purpose for buying this is because he thought the light saber battle between 8 yo's would be HILARIOUS to watch. :

so then--it get worse--christmas morning the 8yo's are opening their presents and what does my dh buy them--PAINTBALL GUNS--17yo was just about to die from laughing--he was like come on kids lets go outside and shoot eat other yay! luckily both 8yo seem to understand that [aintballs would hurt and they never even tried to shoot each other. There was also no grand light saber battle either-much to ds's disappointment.
This made me laugh-- We have both. My brother got the paintball gun for my oldest-- I think when he turned 10. (BTW- I was carded when buying extra balls!!) I have been in several paintball fights-- so he asked if he could shoot me to know how much it hurts to get shot w/ it! LOL!! No... but I'll shoot you! So he stood there and I shot him in the chest-- lol- he hasn't wanted to go paintballing since.

Oh-- and the light sabers? How to you avoid swords?? My kids have been making them from anything "longish" since they could walk- I gave up and they now have about 10 of them... enough so that when my young siblings come over all 7 can have a light saber!! (besides dh!!) lol

Oh- and I think the used address book has to be the winner... or maybe the Klingon knife-- he he!

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
#80 of 84 Old 01-02-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwylde View Post
But we can't afford whole chickens and the basket it came with is too small to fit a single piece of chicken in . Ok, all this talk of chicken is making me :
Mine came with baskets too but you can actually skewer the chicken onto the rotating pole thingy on ours without bothering with the basket. But of course that doesn't help if you can't afford them in the first place!
#81 of 84 Old 01-02-2008, 11:30 PM

My husband's gift to me one year was a pair of shoe inserts, to make the soles more cushy. He is my ex-husband now.

My mother keeps giving me these nice long-sleeved shirts with 2 buttons. I actually told her earlier this year that really, I have something like 45 long-sleeved t-shirts in my closet and I don't need anymore. She has even looked in my closet and said, "Wow, you really have a lot of clothes!" in a disapproving way. So what did I get for Xmas? Four long-sleeved t-shirts.

I don't know why she feels like she has to give me something. Every year I tell her "Nothing," when she asks me what I want. (or, "money!" ) (I'm trying to conquer a clutter problem.) I really mean that, but somehow she just has to buy something. I think she thinks that I don't really mean it when I say I don't want anything--like I'm being crafty or manipulative and I will pout on Xmas day if I don't have any gifts--but the answer really is: I DON'T WANT ANYTHING. PLEASE, KEEP THE CRAP FROM MY HOUSE. Sigh.
#82 of 84 Old 01-03-2008, 04:35 AM

The gift:
For 3.5 year old DD, a girl's size 14 nightgown. Scratchy polyester, appears to be from the 70's, torn hem, part of the trim is completely gone, tag says "treated with flame retardant."

Your reaction:
"Oh, wow. This must be for the make-believe clothing box?"

It will go great in the:
Trash. I can't bring myself to donate torn, chemically-treated clothing that is missing pieces.
#83 of 84 Old 01-03-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuller2 View Post
My husband's gift to me one year was a pair of shoe inserts, to make the soles more cushy. He is my ex-husband now.

The only what-the-hell-is-this gift I remember getting in recent years was from my father-in-law's brother and wife, who, for whatever reason, gave my husband and I what looked like a dead stuffed cat. It wasn't an actual cat corpse; it was a stuffed animal that (I think) was supposed to be in a sleeping sort of pose-- but it looked very realistic and very deceased, and I remember staring at it in wonder, thinking it might be a joke? But alas, it was not. They knew we were cat owners, and just thought we'd enjoy it. I don't think they were with us when we opened it, so we didn't have to fake a joyful reaction (which is good because I'm a terrible actress), but they're very kindhearted people and their intent was good, so I honestly didn't mind. (I don't know if fellow family members teased them about it, though, because they've been awesome giftgivers every year since!)
#84 of 84 Old 01-04-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
Like real alive mice, you mean the ones people spend money to have killed in their home?? The ones my dh has set traps for? whatever!
She brought 2 cages and food and litter.

Mice smell really bad! (When you'd walk by their cage it smelled like urine.)

The wheels squeeked terribly! (Mice are nocturnal ya know!) We already sleep badly from my youngest's anxiety issues.

The best part is my DH took them back and SIL wasn't home. She keeps her door unlocked so he left them in the laundry room (the one room with a light on). I wish I could have been there when the mice were making the wheel squeek! Priceless eh? Bwa ha ha ha! She'll learn to lock her doors eh? (It was the one night here in Central FL where it was going to freeze so we couldn't leave them on her doorstep.)

Sincerely,

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page