#1 of 84 Old 12-26-2007, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Its tomorrow finally! the 26th! So answer the following points:

The gift:

Your reaction:

It will go great in the:
-trunk to be returned when I finally get around to it in late Jan.
-huge plastic container w other regifter possiblitites
-closet with the other clothing just like rest of them
-in the good will pickup this Friday
-at the next get together to show your friends how cheap your family member is
-in the garbage
-make up your own.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#2 of 84 Old 12-26-2007, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

I will go first:

The gift: huge huge fleece pants in size L for men with drawstring waist. Weird weird pattern.

Your reaction: DH got it. A pastey smile "Thanks Mom"

It will go great in the:

-in the good will pickup this Friday

When we got home and I pulled them out of the bag. DH said. You know I am really really sick when you see these on me. The upside. They gave us all checks for each family member. We deposited them last night! But my MIL likes to give something else along with the checks every year. So cannot complain!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#3 of 84 Old 12-26-2007, 01:18 PM

Thank you for the three hideous cookie jars! Poor DH got three cookie jars from the same aunt! LOL...we appreciate her thinking of us and they always do a lot for our kids, but I think she just may be at a loss when it comes to DH. All three are going to the goodwill.
She did get our almost 13 year old guitar hero for his Wii and I got the new Rachel Ray cookbook. The little ones got great things too. Funny that poor DH gets three cookie jars.
#4 of 84 Old 12-26-2007, 02:33 PM

The gift:
A 31 day wind up wall clock from DH's parents.

Your reaction:
A big smile and thank you, with a sinking heart.
I really don't know what to do with it, and I feel petty, but I really only want a clock like this if it chimes the 1/4 hour. They knew that, but got one that only chimes the hour. Its expensive, so maybe I'll try e-bay, I really don't know though.

Mama to three - DD : 1/03, DS 2/06, and DS 6/09.
#5 of 84 Old 12-26-2007, 03:10 PM

Oh my, I don't even know where to start....

A huge box of clothes covered in stains and two sizes too big for my son. Um, thanks? (this from the corporate attorney and his wife)

A video game for my son that plugs into the tv and he's supposed to sit at and drive or something. To be honest, I'm lucky I opened this before he did. He's never seen it (and never will). Going to the thrift store with the clothes...

Ten million plastic toys even though we specifically begged wooden toys only or games for a three year old. I hated to be picky but we're really trying hard to simplify/declutter this year. Our plan is to hide one everyday and if ds doesn't miss it, to the thrift store they go!

That said is was a super nice holiday! We live on the other side of the country from both my and dh's families so all of this stuff came through the mail. Ds actually got tired of opening presents there were so many! And we thought about "cancelling" the present part because we were very short on money this year. So, in all, I know I shouldn't be complaining, it's just interesteing to see what other people think a three year old would like...
#6 of 84 Old 12-26-2007, 04:03 PM

the gift: tele*story, the magical piece of junk that turns reading time into tv time!

my reaction: but . . . what . . . is it? what do you do with it?

answer: plug in the *story* (not a book, mind you, but a *story* about power rangers and the like) to the plastic contraption, which is connected to your television, and follow along with the words as they light up on the screen. basically closed captioning for preschoolers.

it will be exchanged. sil & her dh gave it to the boys (2yo and baby). their 3.5yo loves it, so i'm sure they figured the boys will love it too, and i appreciate that. however, um, no.
#7 of 84 Old 12-26-2007, 04:15 PM

The Gift: a previously written in address book

Giver: DH's Aunt (not hurting for money)

Response: "Awe, thank you! I was just telling DH that we needed to get all of our phone numbers on paper in case we lose our cell phones again."

It will go great in: "the next get together to show your friends how cheap your family member is"

We are a family of Jesus loving urban-nesters living the granola life in a not-so-crunchy city.  Our kids (DS 8, DS 7, DD 4) are home birthed and educated, and we just found out that a new Little will be added to our roost mid-April '14!

#8 of 84 Old 12-26-2007, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hmmm, where to start.

First there is the huge plastic, talking Leapfrog table for DD2, a plastic phone for her (we are doing no plastic), a baby doll that I swear has "lead poisoning" written all over it. Moon shoes for DD1, more stuffed animals. Four very $$$ but not in the least bit practical outfits for the DD's. Quilted place mats, beautiful, but do I really need something else that barely gets used and is just going to take up space. And a bunch of very old photos and books from DH's side of the family. Which I have to keep, but once again, more STUFF to store. Sigh.

My reaction to everything: painful grin, and a "Oh wow".

The table will be stuffed in the back room to be brought out for another visit or two with that family member before making it's way to the thrift store. The plastic phone will head to my parent's house in the mountains, toxic baby doll will go to the donate pile. Moonshoes will suffer the same fate as said noisy table. Stuffed animals will have to remain until DD1 loses interest. And I don't know what I''m going to do with outfits and placemats, probably stuff them somewhere until DH forgets we got them.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#9 of 84 Old 12-26-2007, 04:30 PM

;

#10 of 84 Old 12-26-2007, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by truelife View Post

Response: "Awe, thank you! I was just telling DH that we needed to get all of our phone numbers on paper in case we lose our cell phones again."

It will go great in: "the next get together to show your friends how cheap your family member is"
So far, this might be the winner! :
Can anyone top this??

#11 of 84 Old 12-26-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truelife View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
So far, this might be the winner! :
Can anyone top this??
Wow, definetly the most awful so far. What are some people thinking

Mama to three - DD : 1/03, DS 2/06, and DS 6/09.
#12 of 84 Old 12-26-2007, 06:24 PM

the gift: a BIG bottle of tequila and four shot glasses in a LARGE wooden box (I think it's supposed to be fancy) - from FIL and his girlfriend "The people at the liquor store seemed so surprised that they had one of these left so we HAD to buy it."

my reaction: "Oh, look, tequila." I actually do like tequila but I'm happy to just enjoy a margarita at a restaurant now and then. DH and I aren't big drinkers either. And I certainly don't need all of this in a large wooden box.

where it's going: well, it's sitting on top of our microwave right now.... I don't think Goodwill would accept it. I would regift it but I don't know who to give it to. Maybe one of my girlfriends.... I think this is the kind of regift gift where you have to ASK your intended receiver before you give it away.

Jill
#13 of 84 Old 12-26-2007, 06:28 PM

The gift: Q-tips for an accident prone 9 year old, shipped to us from 3,000 miles away by my mom who feels she must save these kids from bad hygiene apparently.

Your reaction: Give me those, please. They're dangerous for kids.

It will go great in the: bathroom in my room

To give her credit, she knows they like getting toothbrushes, soaps, etc... but not as Christmas presents under the tree, and not something that could damage an ear drum. She's a NURSE who felt it was okay to tell me a homebirth would result in GD, toxemia and a dead baby but who gives known dangerous items to my kids. Sweet!

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#14 of 84 Old 12-26-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillChristina View Post
the gift: a BIG bottle of tequila and four shot glasses in a LARGE wooden box (I think it's supposed to be fancy)........ I don't think Goodwill would accept it.
Funny! That's one you can't sell or give away to the usual channels! eBay, Freecycle, Craig's List, good will... Lucky you! I say yard sale it.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#15 of 84 Old 12-26-2007, 06:55 PM

The gift:
Inflatable life vest purchased in Mexico.. for ages 3 and up (impulse purchase?)

Our reaction: Yes, it's cute but DS is 1 and it's winter!

MIL just returned from Mexico and we did get some tequila and shot glasses as well, which we do like. She also got DS a nice book and wooden toy.

Overall DS got a few really nice books, a few items of clothing that are not in our taste but are almost already too small, and a few plastic schlocky things. Not many gifts this year which is probably good. But a little disappointing.

We gave him a nylon tunnel (Ikea) and a book.
#16 of 84 Old 12-26-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
the gift: a BIG bottle of tequila and four shot glasses in a LARGE wooden box (I think it's supposed to be fancy) - from FIL and his girlfriend "The people at the liquor store seemed so surprised that they had one of these left so we HAD to buy it."

my reaction: "Oh, look, tequila." I actually do like tequila but I'm happy to just enjoy a margarita at a restaurant now and then. DH and I aren't big drinkers either. And I certainly don't need all of this in a large wooden box.

where it's going: well, it's sitting on top of our microwave right now.... I don't think Goodwill would accept it. I would regift it but I don't know who to give it to. Maybe one of my girlfriends.... I think this is the kind of regift gift where you have to ASK your intended receiver before you give it away.

Jill
Hey! How much would it cost to ship it? I might buy it off you! lol!

Loving Mother to our adoption miracle, Riana :, and our angel baby, Xavier. Trying for baby. Wife to my Hero! BLOG LINK IN PROFILE
#17 of 84 Old 12-26-2007, 09:26 PM

The gift: Huge plastic Fisher-Price playset from MIL, along with a letter explaining that she knows we really don't want plastic toys, but she'd already bought this for DS...at a big sale at Toys R Us...more than TWO YEARS ago.

My reaction: Opened all presents for DS before Christmas, because MIL does this every year.

It will go great: on Craigslist. In fact, I listed and sold it a week before Christmas, hooray!

The gift: Gift basket of "gourmet" treats from BIL, all of which are full of preservatives, sodium, and sugar. DH cannot eat sugar because of a medical condition, and has not eaten sugar in more than 30 years. BIL, who grew up with DH, is presumably aware of this.

Your reaction: Um, DH, you can write this thank-you note, too.

It will go great in the: local food pantry. Someone will enjoy this, just not our family.

Cindy, part-time family doc, full-time Mommy to Jared (2/04) and Connor (2/08) :
#18 of 84 Old 12-26-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:

Jill
You could regift it to me.

I haven't had the pleasure of opening any extended family gifts yet. But we did have some friends stop by before Christmas with multiple plastic trucks & toys for each child. My reaction--thank you, they will love them. My thought--some will be okay for the beach this summer, some will be donated, a couple might stick around for a few months and make the end of school year toy donation/sale.
#19 of 84 Old 12-26-2007, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Jill
DH and I agree this may have been already re gifted to you!

#20 of 84 Old 12-26-2007, 11:30 PM

The gift: a giant "anti-snore" pillow for my husband who doesn't even snore.

His reaction: "Thank you! This looks comfy!"

It will go great in the: store where we promptly returned it this morning. It was from Brookstone. I swear that place is like the clutter headquarters. You look at everything in there and at first glance think, "wow, neat idea" but you then realize you'll never actually use it. Luckily, they took it back for an exchange without a receipt and he was able to get a grilling toolset that he'll use often.
#21 of 84 Old 12-26-2007, 11:47 PM

A marble run roller coaster thing similar to http://www.amazon.com/Skyrail-Marble...8722857&sr=8-1. It is really, really cool-looking. What's the problem, you say? My son is 2.5. I did mention to my father that he would like a marble run, but I didn't really mean one that required assembly of a small elevator with a motor and gears. The age says 8+. However, I am over the age of 8, and I intend to enjoy it myself.
#22 of 84 Old 12-26-2007, 11:47 PM

The Gift: Came with the disclaimer that if I did not like it, Marshal (nephew) had picked it out. It was ... earrings ... with porcupine quills attached. Nephew said it was to remind me of how my dog got into a brutal battle with a porcupine earlier this year. :Puke

The reaction: "wow ... thanks ... luckily the pointiest part of the tip has been filed down ... otherwise I could really hurt someone if I hugged them"

It will go in ... I haven't figured this out yet.

He's 12, I guess I shouldn't expect much else.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#23 of 84 Old 12-27-2007, 12:06 AM

The gift: Rooster mugs and tea pot
The reaction: Trying to hold a smile "Oh, look dh. Rooster mugs."
My thought: Didn't they give us this last year???
I think it was their mom and dad who gave us a similar set last year. We really like them, but how many do you need? I just don't want people to feel like they have to get us a gift just to get us a gift! kwim?
I would be happy if we didn't get any items, but just gift cards or money instead. Or nothing at all would be just fine too!! We have sooo much stuff.

Married to wonderful DH 10 yrs DS 9yrs self-weaned @ 3 1/2 yrs  TTC 3 yrs got preg 4 months after HSG with DS 4yrs self-weaned at 3 1/2 yrs  Hope to have more little ones but have secondary infertility issues so we'll just have to see what the future brings Enjoying homeschooling and farming
#24 of 84 Old 12-27-2007, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not THAT horrible, but I recieved a big box of chocolates. I am diabetic.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#25 of 84 Old 12-27-2007, 12:46 AM

The Gift: The video game system for preschoolers, along with 6 games, the dancing playmat, and the video book that connects to it along with the reads-you-a-book system for infants.

The Giver: my mom's new husband

Reaction: DD opend about half the gifts before curling into my lap and saying "this is all a little much for me."

It will go in: sigh.... My mom babysits for us 2 days a week. She warned me that this was coming. Her husband, who is very nice, but very mainstream, bought this all because it was so educational and spent hundreds of dollars. My kids are "his" first grandkids, and they have only been married 6 mons. My mom didn't have the heart to tell him I didn't want this crap. I finally got my step mom and dad and IL's to buy nice wooden toys, etc. for the kids and now this! Anyway, it will be set up, for now anyway, in the living room. DD doesn't really care for playing with it and DS just wants to eat the pages of his baby book system. But my mom would be devestated if it wasn't there anymore.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#26 of 84 Old 12-27-2007, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My Dad and his partner got me a giant decorative...jug. With tea roses painted all over it. I am so not a decorative jug kinda person. It is too large for a water pitcher, and too large to just stow away. It might just get broken... oops!

(I however spent many an hour on handmade hiking socks for my dad's very large feet and a cute needlepoint I made myself all framed for his wife. I wish I had kept the socks!)

My Dad usually calls a few days before Christmas and asks for a detailed list so he can spend as little time shopping as usual. This year, I was all proactive and send him a list with lots of suggestions. My kids got fugly clothes with no tags or receipts, I got the aforementioned decorative jug, and my partner got the only cool thing and the only thing off the suggested list: an iTunes card. Dp is going to share. I just wish my Dad had been more thoughtful. An almost 10 yr old boy does not appreciate clothes for Christmas, and my dd got this hot pink puffy vest. I guess I should be more thankful, but I just feel that there was no thought for the recipients in their gifts.

(For my son's last birthday we got him a whole bunch of kid friendly tools, and stuff to make little sculptures from - nuts and bolts and stuff. Well didn't my Dad, on hearing what we got, go and get him the same thing. Whaaaaa?)
#27 of 84 Old 12-27-2007, 01:17 AM

My GMIL gave my DS clothes without tags as well. What's up with that? They were clearly new, but I don't understand why she removed all the tags. Maybe it's too much trouble to search for prices to hide so they all just get ripped out?

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#28 of 84 Old 12-27-2007, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamavegan View Post
My GMIL gave my DS clothes without tags as well. What's up with that? They were clearly new, but I don't understand why she removed all the tags. Maybe it's too much trouble to search for prices to hide so they all just get ripped out?

My MIL does this and takes it one step further...she takes the toys out of the boxes and cuts all the wires and whatever on them, then puts them back in the boxes and sends them. She sure makes sure they're non-returnable....
#29 of 84 Old 12-27-2007, 02:25 AM

The gift: A big giant pop up tent with two connecting tunnels for DS from ILs

Reaction: Where am I going to put this? It's as big as my living room and I live in a 1 bedroom apartment.

It will go.. in it's storage case, probably to be taken out very rarely or never until we move to someplace to accommodate an item of such size. I can't tell you how many times we have stressed our lack of space to the ILs.

Nursing bras should not double as birth control!
#30 of 84 Old 12-27-2007, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolliePollie View Post
The gift: A big giant pop up tent with two connecting tunnels for DS from ILs

Reaction: Where am I going to put this? It's as big as my living room and I live in a 1 bedroom apartment.

It will go.. in it's storage case, probably to be taken out very rarely or never until we move to someplace to accommodate an item of such size. I can't tell you how many times we have stressed our lack of space to the ILs.
I had a very similar reaction when my DD opened her birthday gift from my (childles, 21yo) brother. It was three tents connected with three tunnels. It takes up the entire bedroom that my DD will maybe someday sleep in. One more perk to cosleeping- if Raina slept in there we'd have no place for the tunnel system

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page