what does "decluttering" mean for you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-29-2007, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hear lots of folks, in this forum and elsewhere, talking about "decluttering"... but what does this really mean for you? How do you go about it? What are the goals? Methods?

I'm not a fool, so I can sort of guess what "decluttering" means. I think I do a fair amount of it myself... sorting out things to be donated, freecycled, thrown away; clearing surfaces (counters, shelves, tables); trying in general not to accumulate things we don't need. But I feel like there may be more to it than this?

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear what decluttering an simplifying mean for you!

Meg, BFARing mama to two spirited daughters, born at home June 05 and April 08.
#2 of 9 Old 12-29-2007, 10:23 PM

In the imaginary "Land of Energy, Focus, Motivation, & Time" decluttering my house would mean that everything in my house - EVERYTHING - would be either useful, meaningful , or beautiful. If something doesn't either have utilitarian, sentimental, or asthetic value, it shouldn't be in my living space. Everything that does "earn" it's right to be in my home, should also have a specific place to be that makes sense.

In real life, we're drowing in crap we don't need. It's a daily struggle.
#3 of 9 Old 12-29-2007, 10:48 PM

One of my main goals with decluttering is for everything to have its own place. We have lots of homeless stuff that just floats around the house, and it makes it three times as hard to do cleaning (so cleaning doesn't happen often enough around here). We also have lots of unused things hogging our very limited storage space, so getting rid of those will free up space for the things we do use. I want a cleaner house, and decluttering is an important step in making that happen.
#4 of 9 Old 12-30-2007, 03:40 AM

For me, decluttering means getting rid of things I dont' want in my home because they are ugly, or they don't fit, or I no longer use them...I find it very refreshing! And people in my apartment complex get things that they will use! So it's good for everyone.
#5 of 9 Old 12-30-2007, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just keep wandering through the house chanting.......... "beautiful or useful?" So many things don't pass the test and don't deserve a permanent place in my home.

I have the house under control and I'm slowly tackling the garage. My kids just got new sleeping bags ( they grew taller) so we washed the old ones and they are on their way out to a friend's house New Year's eve for her little guys to use someday.

Purging can be a slow but methodical and terrific thing.
#6 of 9 Old 12-30-2007, 04:53 AM

For me it means paring down to the most basic needs. I work on being conscience of everything that comes into my house and decide if it will be used or just take up space. Space to breath, move, and look at.

I also think de-cluttering means de-cluttering my mind. I feel if I have heaps of unfinished projects, they also need to go away or be pared down to perhaps three projects. It's important for me to not feel guilty, overwhelmed or constantly sad because I have a million things on the back burner.

The mind thing goes so much deeper too. It has to do with my relationship with my dh doesn't and my children. My friends and my boss.

So I think de-cluttering is a constant thing to be aware of. I know if I'm out of balance, so to speak, my life wont feel healthy then I know it's time to slow down and make some changes.
#7 of 9 Old 12-30-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilla626 View Post
In the imaginary "Land of Energy, Focus, Motivation, & Time" decluttering my house would mean that everything in my house - EVERYTHING - would be either useful, meaningful , or beautiful. If something doesn't either have utilitarian, sentimental, or asthetic value, it shouldn't be in my living space. Everything that does "earn" it's right to be in my home, should also have a specific place to be that makes sense.

My thoughts exactly.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#8 of 9 Old 12-30-2007, 11:42 AM

decluttering my house would mean that everything in my house - EVERYTHING - would be either useful, meaningful , or beautiful. If something doesn't either have utilitarian, sentimental, or asthetic value, it shouldn't be in my living space. Everything that does "earn" it's right to be in my home, should also have a specific place to be that makes sense.

Exactly.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#9 of 9 Old 12-30-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilla626 View Post

GREAT post.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page