Calling those making a "one month" commitment to compacting - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 01-04-2008, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today I pulled out my wash tub... I normally wash dishes w/ running water, so this month I figure I can do it in a tub (it sits in the sink). I'm curious to see if this saves much on the water bill as well.

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
#32 of 52 Old 01-04-2008, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
well, i am doing very well so far... i haven't bought anything at all so far. tomorrow we go grocery shopping, and i am challenging myself to use up pantry items and only really buy fresh fruit and veggies, to keep my bill low.

my dh, however, isn't completely on board with this compacting thing yet.. he has still gotten take out and bought a few little things.

but, i figure that even if just i keep my spending under control, it will make a difference.

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
#33 of 52 Old 01-04-2008, 10:49 PM

Well, don't feel too bad, Jen, I went and broke the rules. I went and got new jeans and a suit set from steve and barry's since everything in the store is $8.98 AND because I have recently lost 4 sizes and only have 2 pairs of jeans that fit. I rarely ever buy retail clothes for myself. I always do thrift shops, but for my new trim figure, I just couldn't resist.
And my bum looks fabulous in my new pants.

Other than that, I'm back on and I will try really hard not to do it again.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#34 of 52 Old 01-04-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply_Jen View Post
Why is it that when you are determined not to spend that all of a sudden you find something you want [or have to have?]

I bought a really super soft throw blanket [the softest one I've ever felt] about 2 weeks ago.

This is an in-store special and I doubt they'll have them very long and I can either buy one now or I can wait and not find one again [you know how that goes, right?]

Ugh, what to do!!

This is gonna be a hard decision because I do want to make it a full month but at the same time when it is something that I know that I will get full use of for a long time to come [it's $9.99].

The first one I got, I bought for my cat [yes ... she's super spoiled! *lol*]

I guess I'm going to have to make a decision about whether to get this or not.

I do have $10.00 left from December that I haven't spent and that would pay for it so it wouldn't be out of January's money.

Still, I guess I'd be breaking the compacting rules for the month, wouldn't I?

I'm not going to run right over and buy it but I am thinking about it seriously only because I know how it goes and as I said - things like that, once they're gone, they're usually gone for good.

Okay ... I'm off to do some serious comtemplating!

Either way and I hope this doesn't sound like a cop-out or my trying to justify things but either way, I am still WAY more conscious of my spending than I usually am which is a good thing!

Love,

Jen [instead of Jen "the great" just call me Jen "the weak" ... *lol*]
Now Jen, you already have one super soft throw.. do ... you.. really need another one? How many other throws do you have? Think about it.

Just trying to help.

#35 of 52 Old 01-04-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley4 View Post
well, i am doing very well so far... i haven't bought anything at all so far. tomorrow we go grocery shopping, and i am challenging myself to use up pantry items and only really buy fresh fruit and veggies, to keep my bill low.

my dh, however, isn't completely on board with this compacting thing yet.. he has still gotten take out and bought a few little things.

but, i figure that even if just i keep my spending under control, it will make a difference.
Good Shelley! Keep it up and use that pantry girl!!

#36 of 52 Old 01-04-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelagain View Post
Today I pulled out my wash tub... I normally wash dishes w/ running water, so this month I figure I can do it in a tub (it sits in the sink). I'm curious to see if this saves much on the water bill as well.
Good idea, Rachel. Let us know how it goes!

#37 of 52 Old 01-04-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelagain View Post
Ok, I'm in for the month.
I want to do the 2008 in 2008 thing, so I'll simplifying and taking things to the Rescue Mission.
I am working on my menu for the month so as to limit grocery shopping- once a week for errands sounds good-- I'll just have to plan it out so I can hopefully get it done in the 2 hours my baby girl is awake between naps. Hm.
But driving is a big one for me--
Sundays: church 2 times (no, we can't cut that back), visit Grandma
Tuesday: Piano lessons (this is near the Rescue mission though)
Wednesday: visit Grandma, kids club @ church.
Every other Friday: Bible study
Any ideas on how to lesson this? I also have to do errands-- piano lessons is not near the bank or grocery store. We are Grandma's only grandchildren and she is in the nursing home- it wouldn't be right to cut that back.
We could cut back on the driving by staying near church/grandma on those days- but on Sunday that would be 2 meals and Wednesday 1 meal- but if I'm not buying fast food... ?
I have started paying bills online.

My exception: I got $100 for Christmas and I'm going to have a pampered chef party on the 29th to buy stoneware.
The only thing that I can think of is you are going to church an awful lot, is there no one in your church that lives near your neighborhood that you could perhaps swap carpooling with? Also, instead of the rescue mission, sometimes you can find places that will pick up donations like purple heart, so you dont have to drive your clutter anywhere.

#38 of 52 Old 01-05-2008, 01:33 AM

Well, I broke down and bought lunch today while I was at work. I'd forgotten my lunch, and was totally starving. I did pick the cheapest place that was within walking distance, but still I felt bad. I'm going to bring some cans of soup or something up to work so that I will have food there if I forget again.

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#39 of 52 Old 01-05-2008, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissum View Post
Well, I broke down and bought lunch today while I was at work. I'd forgotten my lunch, and was totally starving. I did pick the cheapest place that was within walking distance, but still I felt bad. I'm going to bring some cans of soup or something up to work so that I will have food there if I forget again.

Hey-- at least you walked there, right?

Blog on profile.
#40 of 52 Old 01-05-2008, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunanthem View Post
The only thing that I can think of is you are going to church an awful lot, is there no one in your church that lives near your neighborhood that you could perhaps swap carpooling with? Also, instead of the rescue mission, sometimes you can find places that will pick up donations like purple heart, so you dont have to drive your clutter anywhere.
Um, not really. lol We are a family of 6-- we can squeeze one more person in our mini van, so yeah, carpooling is out-- and when we do, we pick up a single gal that doesn't drive due to disabilities.
We are very involved in church, yes, but dh runs the sound and we are both in choir and that's just not something we're willing to cut back on.
Thanks though. I will have to see if I can schedule a pick up at my house-- that should get me getting rid of more stuff anyway- good motivation!

Blog on profile.
#41 of 52 Old 01-05-2008, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

I would have posted earlier today but was too ashamed because I broke and did go over to the store [which is right across the street] and bought 2 of the throws last night [Thursday night] after I posted here.

sunanthem, I knew your post was meant to help me and nothing bad and I do appreciate it but unfortunately you posted and I'd already went and bought them. *lol*

What I may end up doing with the one is to make throw pillows for my bed out of them 'cuz the colors go perfect in my bedroom!

As for the first one I bought, that one is for my cat ... I put it on my rocking chair in the bedroom 'cuz I don't have the cushions for it and am not willing to pay nearly $80.00 for a set of cushions. Yikes, way too expensive!

If it helps to redeem me any, I did go all day Friday without spending any $.

Love,

Jen
#42 of 52 Old 01-06-2008, 12:26 PM

Hey, we both slipped up. It happens. Enjoy your throws! I love the idea of making pillows, that sounds like it will look good.

For me, I'm doing good this wknd so far.

#43 of 52 Old 01-06-2008, 12:28 PM

So far so good. I went to the mall with my son on Friday and saw many cute on sale clothes but still did not buy a single thing.

I looked at the clothes very closely and went home and sketched them out and plan to try to sew them.

Elizabeth
#44 of 52 Old 01-06-2008, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

sunanthem, thank you so much for your encouragement ... I felt better after I read your post. *Hugs*

Elizabeth, you did great with going to the mall and not buying anything - keep up the good work!

How's everybody else doing? I hope good!

I did good for Saturday and not planning on spending a penny today either!

Love,

Jen
#45 of 52 Old 01-06-2008, 02:21 PM

I'm doing pretty well. I think I am probably going to commit for the whole year, with my same exceptions. I buy mostly hand made (which is one of my exceptions now) anyway, so I think it's feasible. I haven't even left the house all weekend so I haven't had much temptation.
I can't figure out what to do about DD's birthday, though. I've been given money from family members requesting I buy DD a present with it, from the toy store. Should I try to find something hand made rather than the toy store? If I do that though, chances are it won't come in time for her birthday. WWYD?

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#46 of 52 Old 01-11-2008, 05:13 PM

*bump*

How is everyone doing?
I feel like I'm doing good-- I've been watching my water usage and other than having to buy shoes for ds #3, I haven't done any spending- except groceries and I am staying within my budget for that-- so yay!

Blog on profile.
#47 of 52 Old 01-12-2008, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not doing too bad here I guess.

I did have to buy groceries yesterday and also while there I bought one of those canvas type store bags that are out now to hold groceries and to save plastic bags but it was only 99 cents.

Also had to take a bit of $ out of my savings for 2 of my granddaughters birthdays this month.

Other than those, I'm doing good and what a major change from usual!

Love,

Jennelle
#48 of 52 Old 01-12-2008, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
i'm doing really well.. i haven't bought anything at all for january yet. (except groceries).

dh has eaten out 2 times this month, but that's much better than 2 or 3 times a week!

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
#49 of 52 Old 01-13-2008, 01:29 AM

Kissum, I think either buy a nice handmade present for her, or maybe spend the money on art supplies, if you dd will enjoy them. That's a great kids gift you cant find used too often, so you'd have to buy it new. Or used books are a good present too.

Let's see. I think I had posted about needing a toy storage thingy. Well last week I completely decluttered and organized ds' room and instead of buying a new toy storage thingy, I packed up all his toys and let him take what he wanted to play with out over the next few days. Now he has out his favorites, and the rest is being packed away to swap around in a month or so. I put 3/4's of his toys away and the room looks fabulous. I love it. I also had bought these star shaped wooden pegs ages ago for his room so we painted them together to match (his room is all blue) and I finally hung them and now all his capes and swords and things have a home. Everything has a place, except his new board games he got for christmas, but I will figure a spot for them.

I have also been wanting plastic storage bins for packing up clothes/ toys, etc for the attic, but will not buy plastic, so I found a freecycler from a newpaper who is giving me 10 or so puple plastic boxes used to ship newpapers. I have to go pick them up. I want to use some for a recycling station in the garage instead of my carboard box filled/ piled high mess I call my recycling right now. I thought I'd tell you girls this b/c maybe the newspaper near you is throwing theirs away b/c they dont realise someone could reuse it; it wouldnt hurt to give a call and ask.

I did break the rules last week though b/c ds's bday party so I bought a few bday things, but the party has been postponed due to many of his friends being sick, so I think I will return most of the stuff, (decorations, favors, paper plates! I know. ) But really, do I want a bunch of 5 year old boys using my plates, and having to wash them? Well, we do have a plastic set of kids plates, so I think I will use those when the party is back on.

Other than that, I've been keeping to the compact. Since part of it is decluttering and simplfying, I've been reading about how to organize a kitchen and have learned a few ideas I never thought of and I cant wait to get started.

#50 of 52 Old 01-13-2008, 08:53 PM

I am still doing excellent on my compacting. To my surprise, it has not been that hard for me. I am really more conscious of what I need vs what I want. I still have the quick flash of desire for things but after about 10 seconds I seem to have come up with an alternative.

My current issue is I am going to begin to dread my hair and my brother ( who has had dreads) told me I needed to get a tam hat or two for the process. I do not know any other alternative than to purchase one. I am thinking of looking around Etsy for one or asking someone to knit me one. I will let my mind marinade on it a few more days and see what I come up with.

Elizabeth
#51 of 52 Old 01-14-2008, 01:19 PM

I made a few slip-ups this weekend. I'm organizing my pantry and have been buying more food in bulk. I needed some glass containers for wheat germ, raisins, rice, etc, etc. I bought 2 new glass jars. I asked around my friends first and none of them use larger jars (and a quart canning jar isn't large enough- I do use those for some things). I don't buy big jars of food that I could eat up and use the jars later...

I also bought a new scrub brush (could have used an old toothbrush)... Ohhh and I also got something I've wanted I picked up. My shower/tub combo has a drain with holes and I'd like to take the occasional bath so I got a flat, round cover for the tub drain. Not sure what an alternative to that would have been.

All together my "mistakes" only came to $10 so I've not done THAT bad!

Susan- Vegetarian Single Mom to 9 year old twins!!
#52 of 52 Old 01-14-2008, 04:36 PM

Elizabeth, we have so many knitting and crochet mamas here, you could post on the TP asking to swap something for one, if you wanted. I'm sure you would get a huge response. Or, I could crochet you one.

Alaska and anyone else who needs a drain cover. I have heard recently on a frugal yahoo list that one can use the plastic lids from yogurt, sour cream, etc... to cover drains. I havent tried it, though.

Keep it up, ladies!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page