Calling those making a "one month" commitment to compacting - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 52 Old 12-31-2007, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!

I was just wondering if any of you who have also only made a "one month" commitment to compacting would like to post on this thread with me?

I know that many are going for 3, 6 or even 12 months but I think I want to start small and just go it for a month.

Anyone care to join me?

Love,

Jen

* Only one shopping day left before the "Big C" starts [Compacting! *lol*]
#2 of 52 Old 12-31-2007, 11:05 AM

I'll post with you. It's going to be hard for me, but I'm giving it a try.

I wanted to add that I've been doing an "avoid the after Christmas clearance" version so far, and it's going well.
#3 of 52 Old 12-31-2007, 11:49 AM

yep, i'm doing february - the shortest month of the year! sadly, i'm bribing myself with something i want to buy on march 1.

marisa
#4 of 52 Old 12-31-2007, 11:53 AM

We're doing a month, January. I'm totally trying not to freak out-- we rarely buy anything new anyway but...this....is scary!!

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#5 of 52 Old 12-31-2007, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so glad I won't be alone here ... thanks for posting everybody!

Vanessa ... good job with avoiding the clearance sales [I've totally avoided them as well!]

I totally agree with you gals, this IS kind of scarey. *lol*

Back in October I think it was, I attempted to do this and did great UNTIL the 7th of the month and then I went hog-wild and way over spent that month so am gonna really need support here I'm sure!

Love,

Jennelle
#6 of 52 Old 12-31-2007, 02:53 PM

ok... But what are we doing "compacting"? Just not buying anything or...?

We spent too much over December and then found a $200 receipt that didn't get put in the checkbook, so we're (thanks to Christmas presents) not in the red, but I'm wanting to save money in January-- so I have an extremely tight budget and trying to "save" $300 in January- which means no spending!

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
#7 of 52 Old 12-31-2007, 05:54 PM

rachel, i am going to be thrifty in other ways, too.

for example, we have to buy some groceries every week, but i'm going to try to use up some of the things that have been sitting in my cupboards for a while (ie, to buy less groceries, basically just produce & dairy).

i am going to try-try-try to have one errand day per week, which will save on gas. right now, i tend to go to the big grocery store, the crunchy grocery store, target, and one or two other random places, all on different days.

what else? if you spend any money on entertainment, even if it's little things like renting a movie or meeting a friend for coffee, you could think of free things to do instead - like re-watching an old movie you already own (or reading!), having the friend over to your house for coffee (or a walk!).

i need to go take my own advice.
#8 of 52 Old 12-31-2007, 10:55 PM

I'm in it with you for January. I keep hearing so much about compacting and feel I lean towards that way anyways, so why not?
I'd like to know what everyone thinks about light bulbs. What kind should I get? I hear the long term ones have mercury in them???

I also need to make/trade for/ find or buy used a shelf or two for my kids toys. I'd love one with little bins, but target has them for $60 and no way I'm spending that. I'd like to avoid all big box stores anyway.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#9 of 52 Old 01-01-2008, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Hi again!

Rachel, for me with compacting - I'm aiming for not buying anything this month except for food, health items if needed and the other exception for those compacting long-term, I believe is personal items such as toilet paper, deoderant and such things as that.

I am also going to try to be careful with grocery spending as well and use up as much as I can with what I have here.

Of course, I may end up with some pretty strange meals if I do that. *lol*

sunanthem, I'm not sure about the lightbulbs because I've never bought or used any but just the regular ones. Sorry!

Well gals, it's just after 12:30 a.m. so ......... here we go!

Love,

Jen
#10 of 52 Old 01-01-2008, 03:04 AM

I feel a lot like Simply Jen.

I just want to see less crap in this house and MORE MONEY SAVED! I'm so excited at seeing what my bank account might be at the end of the month!

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#11 of 52 Old 01-01-2008, 03:12 AM

We're working on NO SPENDING in 2008. We're starting with Jan. No eating out. I'm excited to see what our bank account will look like come Feb.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#12 of 52 Old 01-01-2008, 04:44 AM

I did one month in November. It was pretty easy...so I know you mamas can do it.

I'm signing up for the year. Hopefully I'll see some of you in the longer-term threads after your month is up.

Good luck!

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#13 of 52 Old 01-01-2008, 11:43 AM

I'm in for the challenge!! I'm VERY new to compacting. I'm packing up my CHirstmas stuff (waaay too much) and already have 2 boxes that are going to Goodwill...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunanthem View Post
I also need to make/trade for/ find or buy used a shelf or two for my kids toys. I'd love one with little bins, but target has them for $60 and no way I'm spending that. I'd like to avoid all big box stores anyway.
Wait a while. Those are *always* on sale for $35-40 at Target. That's when I got my DDs for her room! They are the BEST at sorting little toys (polly pockets, books, dolls).

Happy 2008!!

Susan- Vegetarian Single Mom to 9 year old twins!!
#14 of 52 Old 01-01-2008, 11:51 AM

What exactly is compacting? I'm hoping to use up all of our extra products - like soaps, creams, cleaning products etc. and then have a SINGLE preferably naturally homemade one for a lot of them (you know, like my homemade cream...instead of 7 different moisturizing skin products, 7? Make that more like 15). I'm decluttering the apartment so that there is a lot of empty space, everything has a spot and it's easy to clean up... AND I'm getting to work (organized babysitters to get some time) on our basement rooms and attick. 9 years worth of packratting from both DH and I, but we want to start fresh and be simple.
#15 of 52 Old 01-01-2008, 11:52 AM

I'm up for it, but I need to mentally prepare. I think I'll shoot for Feb. too. Where can I find info on all that is involved in compacting? I have an idea, but I want to be sure I understand completely.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#16 of 52 Old 01-01-2008, 01:35 PM

Well, I'm already bust. We have some Christmas money and we're going to the mall to buy pants, in my defense I desperatly need pants that fit. I only have 3 pair right now and 1 of those have a HUGE hole in the butt. We can only wash jeans once or twice a week (pay washer & dryer) so I need more than 2 pair. Off to buy 1 or 2 more at Steve & Berry's they are only $9 each

Does that count since I acutally NEED pants?

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#17 of 52 Old 01-01-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg_s View Post
What exactly is compacting?
Stolen from the jan. compacting thread Red Ant said, :
The Compact
1) to go beyond recycling in trying to counteract the negative global environmental and socioeconomic impacts of U.S. consumer culture, to resist global corporatism, and to support local businesses, farms, etc. -- a step, we hope, inherits the revolutionary impulse of the Mayflower Compact
2) to reduce clutter and waste in our homes (as in trash Compact-er)
3) to simplify our lives (as in Calm-pact)
So, here goes for the rules:
• First principle - don't buy new products of any kind (from stores, web sites, etc.)
• Second principle - borrow or buy used.

Many people come up with a list of their own exceptions, particularly for work and health items (perhaps including pillows or shoes or car tires if needed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Love-Alaska View Post
I'm in for the challenge!! I'm VERY new to compacting. I'm packing up my CHirstmas stuff (waaay too much) and already have 2 boxes that are going to Goodwill...

Wait a while. Those are *always* on sale for $35-40 at Target. That's when I got my DDs for her room! They are the BEST at sorting little toys (polly pockets, books, dolls).

Happy 2008!!
But even buying clearance items is still buying new, and from a big box store. I think I will first try swapping around some shelves in my house, if that doesn't work I may find something used at thrift shops or craigslist, or I may buy a shelf from a local gift shop that sells locally made rustic furniture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrinat View Post
I'm up for it, but I need to mentally prepare. I think I'll shoot for Feb. too. Where can I find info on all that is involved in compacting? I have an idea, but I want to be sure I understand completely.
Here is a compacting blog; http://sfcompact.blogspot.com/
on the lower right you'll see a link to the yahoo compactors group. You may even have a local group. I was refered to one and joined, people are pretty helpful with questions for newbies.

#18 of 52 Old 01-01-2008, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Well gals, here it is ... 3:11 p.m. and so far so good.

But then too ... no bus running today so I couldn't get anywhere to spend money anyways. *lol*

Okay, that's not true I guess 'cuz Rite Aid is right across the street from me but it's snowy, cold and well - I'm not going anywhere so I guess I'm safe today. *Grin*

Love,

Jen
#19 of 52 Old 01-01-2008, 05:21 PM

I am in for January as well. IDK yet what I will do next month. We'll see how it goes. I am going to make 2 exceptions:
1) I will allow myself $20 of my Christmas money to buy something my home really needs (decorative cord covers, for the cords that hang behind my desk, it looks awful). Someone gave me the cash specifically for that, and I feel like I should use it that way rather than put it away.
2) I am not restricting spending on handmade goods, as I think that it really helps support people rather than big business.

Happy new year everyone!

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#20 of 52 Old 01-01-2008, 05:38 PM

I'm so in for this!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#21 of 52 Old 01-01-2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:

But even buying clearance items is still buying new, and from a big box store. I think I will first try swapping around some shelves in my house, if that doesn't work I may find something used at thrift shops or craigslist, or I may buy a shelf from a local gift shop that sells locally made rustic furniture.
Oops- I should have done more research on compacting before posting or subbing!

#22 of 52 Old 01-01-2008, 11:07 PM

I am in. I am aiming for the entire year so will certainly be here for one month.

Look forward to supporting everyone.

Elizabeth
#23 of 52 Old 01-02-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Love-Alaska View Post
Oops- I should have done more research on compacting before posting or subbing!
That's alright. We're all hear to learn!
So will you be sticking around with us trying to compact?

#24 of 52 Old 01-02-2008, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
i'm in for january. and i will take the money i save and put it on our debt.

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
#25 of 52 Old 01-02-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
That's alright. We're all hear to learn!
So will you be sticking around with us trying to compact?

Ohhh, Absolutley!! Sometimes the frugal side of me gets in the way of the (wanna be) simple side! I'm here for the challenge!!

I'm going to stop at Goodwill (and another local thrift shop) on my way home and see what they have in the way of cloth napkins. I'm going to ditch the paper napkins!!

#26 of 52 Old 01-02-2008, 02:35 PM

Ok, I'm in for the month.
I want to do the 2008 in 2008 thing, so I'll simplifying and taking things to the Rescue Mission.
I am working on my menu for the month so as to limit grocery shopping- once a week for errands sounds good-- I'll just have to plan it out so I can hopefully get it done in the 2 hours my baby girl is awake between naps. Hm.
But driving is a big one for me--
Sundays: church 2 times (no, we can't cut that back), visit Grandma
Tuesday: Piano lessons (this is near the Rescue mission though)
Wednesday: visit Grandma, kids club @ church.
Every other Friday: Bible study
Any ideas on how to lesson this? I also have to do errands-- piano lessons is not near the bank or grocery store. We are Grandma's only grandchildren and she is in the nursing home- it wouldn't be right to cut that back.
We could cut back on the driving by staying near church/grandma on those days- but on Sunday that would be 2 meals and Wednesday 1 meal- but if I'm not buying fast food... ?
I have started paying bills online.

My exception: I got $100 for Christmas and I'm going to have a pampered chef party on the 29th to buy stoneware.

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
#27 of 52 Old 01-02-2008, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Dear Rachel,

I'm sorry ... wish I had an answer for you, but I don't.

As for not spending, I've made it through day #2 and have not spent one penny. Yea!!

Wish I could say I've done as good on my other goals. *lol*

Love,

Jen

No Spending Days: 2
#28 of 52 Old 01-03-2008, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Oh man ... I broke down today and spent $1.25 in the candy machine in our lobby.

I guess the only good thing about it is that it come out of my change jar instead of out of my January check [which I get on the 1st].

And, it was "food" - does that still count? *lol* Technically we are allowed to spend for food but I'm not sure the junk food part is included. ha! ha!

Love,

Jen

Have any of you ever thought of keeping track of every penny spent during a entire year?

I know it'd be hard to do but I'm sure that it would really open our eyes if we were to do that, ya know?
#29 of 52 Old 01-03-2008, 10:42 PM

So far so good. I really have not had much of a temptation. The only thing I am wanting at the moment is a broiler pan for my oven which I have posted as wanted on my local freecyle list.

Elizabeth
#30 of 52 Old 01-03-2008, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Why is it that when you are determined not to spend that all of a sudden you find something you want [or have to have?]

I bought a really super soft throw blanket [the softest one I've ever felt] about 2 weeks ago.

This is an in-store special and I doubt they'll have them very long and I can either buy one now or I can wait and not find one again [you know how that goes, right?]

Ugh, what to do!!

This is gonna be a hard decision because I do want to make it a full month but at the same time when it is something that I know that I will get full use of for a long time to come [it's $9.99].

The first one I got, I bought for my cat [yes ... she's super spoiled! *lol*]

I guess I'm going to have to make a decision about whether to get this or not.

I do have $10.00 left from December that I haven't spent and that would pay for it so it wouldn't be out of January's money.

Still, I guess I'd be breaking the compacting rules for the month, wouldn't I?

I'm not going to run right over and buy it but I am thinking about it seriously only because I know how it goes and as I said - things like that, once they're gone, they're usually gone for good.

Okay ... I'm off to do some serious comtemplating!

Either way and I hope this doesn't sound like a cop-out or my trying to justify things but either way, I am still WAY more conscious of my spending than I usually am which is a good thing!

Love,

Jen [instead of Jen "the great" just call me Jen "the weak" ... *lol*]

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page