Happy New Year Compactors! January thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 124 Old 01-06-2008, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I finally found the compacting thread! Yay! I'm so excited. Myself and my SO are going to be compacting for 2008. I've read through the thread, and I'm glad to read about everybody's successes! I'll do a little intro of myself by posting "our rules" for compacting that we wrote out since everybody does it a little bit differently (forgive the formatting, lol!):

A.Buy no new items, except for FOOD, HYGENE ITEMS, MAINTANENCE ITEMS, MEDICAL NECESSITIES, and SHOES/SOCKS and UNDERWEAR.
B.Support the local economy as much as possible by:
1. Only eating out at locally-owned restaurants.
2. For the purchase of any new items, try to locate an independent local store that carries that item.
3. Try to support local food growers if at all possible.
C.For every one item coming in to the home, one item must leave the home.
D.Recycle as much as possible. Try to minimize the amount of packaging that comes into the home.
E.Reuse as many things as possible. Find new uses for things instead of throwing them away.
F.Minimize unnecessary driving. Focus on reducing our carbon footprint.
G.Avoid plastic products if possible. Use tote bags when ever taking trips to buy anything.
#62 of 124 Old 01-07-2008, 01:00 AM

shelbell- I like the idea of writing out our own rules. I will have to think about it and do that! great idea!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#63 of 124 Old 01-07-2008, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

So I slipped up yesterday. I was at a local bookstore and I bought a christmas book for each of my daughter's stockings for next christmas. They were 50% off and I couldn't pass them up. I probably would have been able to find them used some place. Impulse buy on day 6; this is harder than I thought.

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
#64 of 124 Old 01-07-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaveggie View Post
So I slipped up yesterday. I was at a local bookstore and I bought a christmas book for each of my daughter's stockings for next christmas. They were 50% off and I couldn't pass them up. I probably would have been able to find them used some place. Impulse buy on day 6; this is harder than I thought.
I think gifts ON SALE are perfectly acceptable.

(I am such an enabler )

but seriously..I think it's better to buy xmas gifts on clearance in Jan than in Dec. if you have to buy gifts. I wouldn't feel guilty! I think gifts, clothing, food, shelter, body care, car maintenence, vacations, photos,etc. are all acceptable things.

#65 of 124 Old 01-07-2008, 07:24 PM

I've slipped up a few times. Just keep trying. It's harder than I thought it would be.
#66 of 124 Old 01-07-2008, 07:46 PM

We're still chugging away. My MIL gave us a check to purchase a grainmill as her gift to us, and I was able to find a new-to-us nutrimill on Ebay so we're really looking forward to that.

When I am tempted by new purchases, I just remember what the true cost of that purchase is and that reminder helps me to stick with the compact.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#67 of 124 Old 01-07-2008, 08:03 PM

I think I'm going to commit for the whole- with my exception being that i am not limiting myself on handmade goods. I can't help but feel that supporting a person is much better than supporting big business, and much much better for the environment.
I have a question though (I posted this in the other thread too)- I've had a couple of people give me money to buy dd a birthday present. There is nothing at the thrift shop for her (I looked) and if I buy hand made online, it'll come too late. Do I just let it be late or take her to the local toy store that sells mostly wood toys and call it a day? I feel like I should use the money as directed, since it's not really mine, kwim?

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#68 of 124 Old 01-07-2008, 08:07 PM

Oh, and I am trying to give up diet coke for the compact and I have one heck of a caffient withdrawal headache. Owwwwww.

#69 of 124 Old 01-07-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissum View Post
I think I'm going to commit for the whole- with my exception being that i am not limiting myself on handmade goods. I can't help but feel that supporting a person is much better than supporting big business, and much much better for the environment.
I have a question though (I posted this in the other thread too)- I've had a couple of people give me money to buy dd a birthday present. There is nothing at the thrift shop for her (I looked) and if I buy hand made online, it'll come too late. Do I just let it be late or take her to the local toy store that sells mostly wood toys and call it a day? I feel like I should use the money as directed, since it's not really mine, kwim?
Instead of buying a physical item, could you buy your DD an "experience" item with the money that she will enjoy? A trip to the zoo, the children's museum, the aquarium, etc? Your DD may be at an age where she's too little for a lot of that type of stuff, though. Let us know what you end up doing!
#70 of 124 Old 01-07-2008, 11:01 PM

I like the experience idea. How about mommy and me music classes or gymnastics. She is two, correct. DS1 loved at stuff at two and ds2 would like it even at 18 months.

Also, she probably would have just as much fun with it if it came left. It would kinds prolong the experience.
#71 of 124 Old 01-09-2008, 12:00 AM

That's a really good idea! I did buy her a WAHM made dress online today as one of her gifts-
I think she's going to love it. For the rest of the money though I am definately going to look into activities. That had occured to me, but the zoo etc is all 2 hours away. Hopefully I'll find something.

In other news, I did my grocery shopping at the small independant store tonight rather than the chain. It was a bit more money, but they also have a better selection of organic veggies, which was nice. I never go there, but it's actually right on the way to pick DD up from school (or on our way home) so I think it's going to work out really well.

#72 of 124 Old 01-09-2008, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Oh, and I am trying to give up diet coke for the compact and I have one heck of a caffient withdrawal headache. Owwwwww.
Yes, I tried this to Pepsi is my weakness..My headache was sooo bad. I gave in and dh bought it for me on his way home I'll evetually try again.
#73 of 124 Old 01-09-2008, 04:15 AM

Doing really well here. No slip-ups yet, but I haven't had too many temptations: no gifts to buy, nothing breaking or wearing down in our house, still sticking pretty close to home with the new babe.

DH isn't compacting with me, but he's been on board so far this month. I gave him money for new clothes, and he only bought socks and undies (which I've named as exceptions in my compact), which is great!

I'm realizing that compacting will take a bit more planning than I'm used to. I'm trying to think really far ahead about gifts I'll need for birthdays, etc. so I can make them myself or keep an eye open when I'm thrifting.

My objective is to save enough money to stop working by the end of the year and be a stay-at-home mommy (rather than a stressed-out WAHM).

Jen (snowbunny), you are such an inspiration to me! I may be bugging you for advice every now and then.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#74 of 124 Old 01-09-2008, 04:24 AM

No slip ups here!

I bought one thing that was allowed on my compact exceptions and it felt really *weird* doing it! I guess that is a good sign.

Dd's birthday is coming up and we need some gifts for her. I made her a Waldorf doll, but I definitely need some more active toys. I am hopefully nabbing a tricycle off craigslist. But I need to find something she can play with right away. I checked Goodwill, but it was all c*** toys there. I'll have to keep trolling craigslist with fingers crossed!
#75 of 124 Old 01-09-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkenna&lucas View Post
Yes, I tried this to Pepsi is my weakness..My headache was sooo bad. I gave in and dh bought it for me on his way home I'll evetually try again.
LOL- I bought some yesterday at the grocery store. I'm trying to switch to tea instead, but I think it's going to have to be a gradual change.

#76 of 124 Old 01-09-2008, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

I don't mind buying used items for my family, but what do you do about other people? We have a kid birthday party to go to next month and I want to get some ideas from the rest of you compactors. I think I am going to adopt an animal from his local zoo in the little boy's name. The adoption kit comes with a few free zoo admissions to visit the animal, a picture of it, a small plush and a fact sheet. I know this family's home is more cluttered than mine, but they are big on material things. I am the odd duck in our group, so they never know what to expect from me.

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
#77 of 124 Old 01-09-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I don't mind buying used items for my family, but what do you do about other people? We have a kid birthday party to go to next month and I want to get some ideas from the rest of you compactors. I think I am going to adopt an animal from his local zoo in the little boy's name. The adoption kit comes with a few free zoo admissions to visit the animal, a picture of it, a small plush and a fact sheet. I know this family's home is more cluttered than mine, but they are big on material things. I am the odd duck in our group, so they never know what to expect from me.
I think that is a GREAT idea!!:
#78 of 124 Old 01-09-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
LOL- I bought some yesterday at the grocery store. I'm trying to switch to tea instead, but I think it's going to have to be a gradual change.
I quit drinking soda in 2007. now quitting coffee in 2008.

I have found that the celestial seasonings country peach tea to be the best for a subsitute. it's sweet, but not funky! (it's also caffeine free) my kids and I are addicted now and I have to order it by the case because I can't find it anywhere in town most the time! anyway, sweetened with honey and served iced, it is a GREAT subsitutue for soda and other drinks. Stash's mango tea and starfruit tea are also other favorites in my house as well (you can get them loose too) they are all caffeine free.

(Just thought I'd throw that out there )

#79 of 124 Old 01-09-2008, 07:24 PM

this is a great idea!

Quote:

#80 of 124 Old 01-10-2008, 05:59 PM

Dang it. I was caught off guard today and now I don't know what to do. A good friend is having her baby shower on Sunday. I had it all figured out, I was going to tie dye her some onesies and make her a hand painted frame (all from stuff I have in my garage ) But then today I was at a gymnastics playdate and was asked by another friend (she doesn't know that I am compacting) to pitch in $30 for the friends baby stroller. I always go in on the bigger gifts. I had three of my children there I was watching and so what did I say, "SURE". I walked away and felt so stupid. How do I go back to her and say nevermind? How do I justify this purchase? Ten days in and the gifts for others are the hardest part. CRAP! Any words of wisdom? I think I have decided to go through with the $30, atleast I am putting towards a purchase that is going to be well used, right?!
#81 of 124 Old 01-10-2008, 06:01 PM

Good news the stroller is being purchased at a local children store. So even though it is a "big brand", it is going to help the small, local business.
#82 of 124 Old 01-10-2008, 06:02 PM

I think gifts are allowed.

#83 of 124 Old 01-10-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #4ishere View Post
Dang it. I was caught off guard today and now I don't know what to do. A good friend is having her baby shower on Sunday. I had it all figured out, I was going to tie dye her some onesies and make her a hand painted frame (all from stuff I have in my garage ) But then today I was at a gymnastics playdate and was asked by another friend (she doesn't know that I am compacting) to pitch in $30 for the friends baby stroller. I always go in on the bigger gifts. I had three of my children there I was watching and so what did I say, "SURE". I walked away and felt so stupid. How do I go back to her and say nevermind? How do I justify this purchase? Ten days in and the gifts for others are the hardest part. CRAP! Any words of wisdom? I think I have decided to go through with the $30, atleast I am putting towards a purchase that is going to be well used, right?!

If you made a commitment, I would go through with it. Then decide how you want to respond to things like this for the rest of the year.
#84 of 124 Old 01-10-2008, 07:47 PM

Well I went into a big box store today and bought NOTHING!!! Very pleased with myself! I took my Grandma to do her errands and shopping, and she uses that stores pharmacy so we went into it..Along with my 2 year old and 4year old..Not a penny spent from me!
#85 of 124 Old 01-10-2008, 08:40 PM

I am struggling with gifts too. My mother's birthday is coming and she is a big shopper type person. She really wouldn't like a thrift store present. I am thinking of getting her a Klean Kanteen since she uses tons and tons of bottled water. While I will be purchasing something new, at least it will help in the long run. Then I was thinking of getting her a piece of jewelry from the thrift store... or maybe a gift certificate to a restaurant. Hmmmm...
#86 of 124 Old 01-10-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkenna&lucas View Post
Well I went into a big box store today and bought NOTHING!!! Very pleased with myself! I took my Grandma to do her errands and shopping, and she uses that stores pharmacy so we went into it..Along with my 2 year old and 4year old..Not a penny spent from me!
Good job!!!! And it gets even easier to do as time goes on. Although, after a while, you really get sensory overload looking at all that ..... stuff!!!
#87 of 124 Old 01-10-2008, 11:30 PM

Any of you have this happen? First, I think I made the mistake of talking about the Compact with this person. I thought she might actually want to join me, but she had 1,000,001 reasons why not. Fine, I am doing it for myself and my family. Anyway, since then, whenever we talk, I get the feeling that she is hoping to hear about how I have slipped up or how difficult it is. I am trying really hard to be mindful but not obsessive about my choice. I don't want it to become all I think about, I just want it to be the way I live. I want to be able to come here and read and comment about it, but not 24/7. So anyway, during a recent conversation I was really excited and upbeat about it and she changed the subject super fast. Contrast that to when I was thinking about it and considering how difficult it would be and we talked about it forever.

Sorry to unload this, but it is really bothering me. I think I am just going to steer conversations away from the topic and not engage her, but I just don't get it.

Thoughts? or Advice?
#88 of 124 Old 01-10-2008, 11:50 PM

For those of you dealing with gifts and not wanting to thrift them, have you considered simply buying handmade, recycled (note: that doesn't mean thrifted but made from recycled materials) items or making them yourself? Also, there's a world outside of material gifts. Think of charity donations, massages, gift certificates to restaurant, a week of organic food delivery it goes on and on.

There's also a lot to be said for giving up gifts entirely. We spend way too much of our time and money buying things for friends and family on special occasions and way too little time simply celebrating our relationships with those that we love.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#89 of 124 Old 01-11-2008, 01:14 PM

I agree with the others- gifts don't necessarily count in my book. I like the idea of gift cards for restaurants, too!

I've done good and haven't purchased anything. I even scored a *free* 2 gallon cooler (for camping). It was around noon last Saturday and I passed a garage sale. They were "closed" so I had to knock on the door to inquire the cost of the cooler. I was thrilled when they said "just take it"!! I've cleaned it up (it had a lot of baseball clay on it) and it's as good as new!!

Susan- Vegetarian Single Mom to 9 year old twins!!
#90 of 124 Old 01-11-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2mama View Post
Any of you have this happen? First, I think I made the mistake of talking about the Compact with this person. I thought she might actually want to join me, but she had 1,000,001 reasons why not. Fine, I am doing it for myself and my family. Anyway, since then, whenever we talk, I get the feeling that she is hoping to hear about how I have slipped up or how difficult it is. I am trying really hard to be mindful but not obsessive about my choice. I don't want it to become all I think about, I just want it to be the way I live. I want to be able to come here and read and comment about it, but not 24/7. So anyway, during a recent conversation I was really excited and upbeat about it and she changed the subject super fast. Contrast that to when I was thinking about it and considering how difficult it would be and we talked about it forever.

Sorry to unload this, but it is really bothering me. I think I am just going to steer conversations away from the topic and not engage her, but I just don't get it.

Thoughts? or Advice?
I haven't had this happen to me yet, but I can see it happening. I think some people would feel that my actions would be inherently judgmental of their lifestyle choices. Like because I home birthed, then I must be looking down on their hospital birth.

In terms of trying to catch you slipping up, sometimes people are too black and white in their thinking. To some people if you're using a stroller, then you're not AP enough b/c you should be wearing the child. If you're driving a Prius alone, that's not good enough b/c you should be carpooling or taking public transportation or even walking! The world is so grey, and I'm happier when I focus my energy on my own behaviors. It's not always easy.

I probably won't talk to many people about our decision to Compact, unless it's really relevant. I wish more people knew about it and made educated decisions about spending, but I just don't have the drive or energy to advocate or preach. I might blog about it a little.

My advice is to not talk about the Compact with that friend unless she brings it up. Enjoy the things you share in common.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page