Happy New Year Compactors! January thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 124 Old 12-31-2007, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is everybody ready for tomorrow? I went today to Target to buy next year's christmas cards, kleenex, q-tips and cat litter. That is all I left with, which is a miracle with christmas clearance at 50% off. When I had the kleenex in my hand I thought about getting/making some handkerchefs instead. Does anyone else use them?

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
#2 of 124 Old 12-31-2007, 09:14 PM

If you want one thing cloth, tissues are the way to go. They are a million times softer and you never get any stuck to your nose! And they're super soft! I love hankies!

~ Kim

mama to E (01-2007) and wife to C

#3 of 124 Old 12-31-2007, 09:40 PM

I am all set. I hit walmart yesterday, used up my gift cards and spent more on top of it but I got stocked up on batteries for the electronics we got for xmas, got a paper sorter, large white board, etc stuff I need to use our xmas gifts or make the most of our homeschooling. NOw I am set.

Brandy Single momma to A(11), C(10), H(6) and I(2)
:
#4 of 124 Old 12-31-2007, 10:43 PM

I am all set to go as well. :

1. I will not purchase anything new except: needed personal items (undies, etc.), useful, basic crafts for dc (crayons, etc.), tires (I like to bike ride), items necessary for work (paper, binders, ink, etc.).
2. I will avoid disposable items, except toilet paper.
3. I will buy locally as much as possible.

I do have a gc to Target left, but I will use it for necessities. We are using sposies right now (since we are selling the house) so I will probably buy those. We also use tp, but no other disposable paper products.
#5 of 124 Old 12-31-2007, 10:49 PM

Can I join in if I am just starting. I keep hearing all about this and have been leaning towards it anyway. My challenge is to find a new shelf or toy storage thingy for both of my kids.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#6 of 124 Old 12-31-2007, 11:45 PM

I made my last purchase today..other than the few things in my exceptions (a few unpaid co-ops that I joined before joining the compact) So I think I am good to go! Very excited!
#7 of 124 Old 01-01-2008, 02:50 AM

Okay, I have a little over an hour left here before the new year, and I'm all set for my year of compacting.

I'm having a weak moment...I have some super special jammies online that I'm scoping out for DD1 and me...I may just do a "one last purchase" splurge before midnight hits. Or I might not.

But, yeah, ready to compact and even a bit excited.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#8 of 124 Old 01-01-2008, 04:18 AM

Okay, so I passed on the PJs. Darn it, even warming up to Compacting has corrupted me! I just couldn't justify the expense...and I kept asking myself if matching PJs for my DD and me would bring me more happiness than just keeping that hard-earned money in the bank.

Now, onto my year of Compacting...sans snazzy jammies.

Happy New Year!!!

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#9 of 124 Old 01-01-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiemonster View Post
Okay, so I passed on the PJs. Darn it, even warming up to Compacting has corrupted me! I just couldn't justify the expense...and I kept asking myself if matching PJs for my DD and me would bring me more happiness than just keeping that hard-earned money in the bank.

Now, onto my year of Compacting...sans snazzy jammies.

Happy New Year!!!
I have been feeling the same for a while! I hear Compacting is addicting!
#10 of 124 Old 01-01-2008, 01:12 PM

Hi mamas.......new here

can somewhat let me know what the concept of compacting is?

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#11 of 124 Old 01-01-2008, 03:10 PM

We're ready to jump in for the first time! And we are really excited! So far so good for the first half of Jan 1st!

Angie, mama to Anna '01, Mia '04, and Leif '08 and angel1.gif '03  angel1.gif'07 angel1.gif'12.Expecting someone new in 7/13! pos.gif

h20homebirth.gif familybed2.gif bftoddler.gif homeschool.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

#12 of 124 Old 01-01-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediesmom View Post
Hi mamas.......new here

can somewhat let me know what the concept of compacting is?
The Compact
1) to go beyond recycling in trying to counteract the negative global environmental and socioeconomic impacts of U.S. consumer culture, to resist global corporatism, and to support local businesses, farms, etc. -- a step, we hope, inherits the revolutionary impulse of the Mayflower Compact
2) to reduce clutter and waste in our homes (as in trash Compact-er)
3) to simplify our lives (as in Calm-pact)
So, here goes for the rules:
•First principle - don't buy new products of any kind (from stores, web sites, etc.)
•Second principle - borrow or buy used.

Many people come up with a list of their own exceptions, particularly for work and health items (perhaps including pillows or shoes or car tires if needed).
#13 of 124 Old 01-01-2008, 04:07 PM

I took my first compacting trip to the grocery store this morning. Wow! I never realized how much junk I buy. It took me twice as long because I had to talk myself out of every other thing I picked up. 50% off holiday candy--NO, cheaper than water Coke--NO, three boxes of crackers--one will do, etc.

I think I am going to make all my purchases at the grocery store (incl. paper prod, batteries, etc.). I know it will cost a little more, but it will reduce temptation.
#14 of 124 Old 01-01-2008, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarAndSun View Post
I am all set to go as well. :

I do have a gc to Target left, but I will use it for necessities. We are using sposies right now (since we are selling the house) so I will probably buy those. We also use tp, but no other disposable paper products.
Wow! Moving and compacting at the same time would be extremely difficult for me. We sold our house and moved into our new fixer upper back in August and we spent several thousand dollars immediately on paint, roofing materials, new locks, storm doors and what not. I admire your ambition. I switched to disposables for a few months too, but I am back on track now.

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
#15 of 124 Old 01-01-2008, 04:37 PM

We are excited to be jumping in, too! We haven't done any stocking up. I figure if we're sill using q-tips & other health stuff, then I'll buy them as needed. We will avoid big box stores though.

I made one last trip to Target a few days ago to use a Christmas gift card for my daughter. I loaded up on crafty stuff and a storage container to store them. The storage container made me pause since I'm sure I could find one used that would work. It snaps and stacks with one we already have though, so it felt like an okay last pre-compact purchase. It did feel good to pass up all of those 50% off end caps. It is freeing to realize I don't NEED any of that stuff!

When we started making our our exceptions list, I thought it would be excessively liberal. It ended up being surprisingly short though:

Supplies for making a placenta print. (If I ever get around to defrosting it and making a print, I'd like to have acid-free paper.)
Others, only if they can't be found used:
Vegetable gardening materials
Home repair supplies – lots of internal remodeling needs finishing, plus external painting and a partial new roof.
One particular bike part my husband doesn't think he'll be able to find used.

We've also decided to eat out or order in once per week at a local restaurant. That's considerably less than usual for us.
#16 of 124 Old 01-01-2008, 04:47 PM

I heard about our local compacting yahoo group and joined. You may find one near you, too.

I think for one of my kids storage thingys I will put together the new desk and bookshelf for the office room and take the old shelf for kids toy storage. I will have to see if that will work.

#17 of 124 Old 01-01-2008, 06:02 PM

I'm in, as well. This is desperately needed for all sorts of reasons

Sandi - Work at home writer mama to Zoe the monkey girl 9/06 and Luna the zen baby 8/08
#18 of 124 Old 01-01-2008, 06:02 PM

Forgot to sub ...doh!

Sandi - Work at home writer mama to Zoe the monkey girl 9/06 and Luna the zen baby 8/08
#19 of 124 Old 01-01-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaveggie View Post
Wow! Moving and compacting at the same time would be extremely difficult for me. We sold our house and moved into our new fixer upper back in August and we spent several thousand dollars immediately on paint, roofing materials, new locks, storm doors and what not. I admire your ambition. I switched to disposables for a few months too, but I am back on track now.
We aren't buying right away though. We are going to rent between homes. I do admit that buying a new home would seriously cause problems.
#20 of 124 Old 01-01-2008, 10:56 PM

I am ready and so excited about compacting. I did not "stock" up on anything so I am going to really push myself to find alternatives to any purchases other than those allowed.

I have caught myself really feeling the urge to purchase different kinds of foods than I have before. Maybe I will become a foodie.
#21 of 124 Old 01-02-2008, 02:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, day 1 and I fell off the wagon. We went to Ikea. The plan was to go to lunch then DD go to smaland while I checked As-Is (there are a couple of specific items I'm looking for in as-is, which I consider an exception because the stuff is basically secondhand/damaged and many stores would just chuck it rather than sell it at reduced price). But Smaland was full, so DD came with me to check as-is, then still wanted to play, so I let her go to Smaland since it was too late to go to the zoo, and while she was in there, I perused Ikea and came away with 2 items for redecorating DD's room, which I plan to do to lure her back into sleeping there.

They were NOT in As-is.

Next time, I'm just gonna sit in the coffee shop while DD is in Smaland. Oy.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#22 of 124 Old 01-02-2008, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravin View Post
Well, day 1 and I fell off the wagon. We went to Ikea. The plan was to go to lunch then DD go to smaland while I checked As-Is (there are a couple of specific items I'm looking for in as-is, which I consider an exception because the stuff is basically secondhand/damaged and many stores would just chuck it rather than sell it at reduced price). But Smaland was full, so DD came with me to check as-is, then still wanted to play, so I let her go to Smaland since it was too late to go to the zoo, and while she was in there, I perused Ikea and came away with 2 items for redecorating DD's room, which I plan to do to lure her back into sleeping there.

They were NOT in As-is.

oh, Ikea is so hard to walk away from. We dont have one nearby, but one is coming this spring. uh-oh.
I stayed home today and manage to declutter a bit of kitchen stuff. I realize I have alot of decluttering to do in this house and I'm going to try to get some help with some of it from dh tomorrow. I didn't buy anything today.

#23 of 124 Old 01-02-2008, 02:21 PM

Where to draw the line is where I am already struggling. I am trying to eliminate chemicals, go green, etc. But to make a change. I need to purchase items. For example I am in a mama pad co-op (this one was in my exceptions though ) On one hand I am buying something "new". On the other hand, I am changing from disposables and I am helping a wahm..Now I find out how horrible dryer sheets are. I "could" stop buying them and change to something else, but that would break my compact So confused..this is hard..
#24 of 124 Old 01-02-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAnt View Post
The Compact
1) to go beyond recycling in trying to counteract the negative global environmental and socioeconomic impacts of U.S. consumer culture, to resist global corporatism, and to support local businesses, farms, etc. -- a step, we hope, inherits the revolutionary impulse of the Mayflower Compact
2) to reduce clutter and waste in our homes (as in trash Compact-er)
3) to simplify our lives (as in Calm-pact)
So, here goes for the rules:
•First principle - don't buy new products of any kind (from stores, web sites, etc.)
•Second principle - borrow or buy used.

Many people come up with a list of their own exceptions, particularly for work and health items (perhaps including pillows or shoes or car tires if needed).
thanks for 411.....I'm in!

kind of feels like cheating a bit, since christmas just passed, but I do most of these thing already.

I need to purchase a gift for my dd....who will be birthing soon

other than that i can freecycle or buy at resale IF I need anything.

I do want emotional help decluttering and getting rid of unused mounds of stuff. Its gotten to the point that it is emotionally overwhelming.

so, for the month, I am in. we'll take it from there. Thanks mamas! this could be just what we here need.

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#25 of 124 Old 01-02-2008, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Day 2 and things are going well. I was about to go out and buy my mil a birthday card like I do every year, but instead had dd draw a pic. That would have been a quick $3+ since I always end up buying more at Target.

#26 of 124 Old 01-02-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravin View Post

They were NOT in As-is.

I am so glad there isn't an Ikea anywhere close to me! That would be my downfall for sure. I think you hit on something so key though. I am planning to avoid all big box stores, and only go into stores for very specific purposes without DD. I'll be able to get through stores quicker without her, and she won't see toys and other tantrum illiciting things. Beyond that though, I'm getting off of all store email and paper catalog lists. If I don't SEE it, then I don't WANT it - especially during the ever-tempting 70% off Christmas sales.
#27 of 124 Old 01-02-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkenna&lucas View Post
Where to draw the line is where I am already struggling. I am trying to eliminate chemicals, go green, etc. But to make a change. I need to purchase items. For example I am in a mama pad co-op (this one was in my exceptions though ) On one hand I am buying something "new". On the other hand, I am changing from disposables and I am helping a wahm..Now I find out how horrible dryer sheets are. I "could" stop buying them and change to something else, but that would break my compact So confused..this is hard..
Perhaps I'm not thinking about this as strictly as some might, but I see those purchases as completely acceptable. If you are setting your home up for reusable and ecologically-sound cleaning, then you are avoiding countless negative environmental impacts in the future.
#28 of 124 Old 01-02-2008, 06:14 PM

I'm in. I didn't realize this had a name. I just started a blog about this--it's linked in my sig.

It's an exciting challenge, isn't it?

:

Crunchy check list:  2 homebirths (one accidental UC!), co-slept, no CIO, cloth diapers, home/un school, raw milk drinker (!) I am a walking cliche!! I even blog and knit...
#29 of 124 Old 01-02-2008, 11:28 PM

I am so proud of me. I badly need new clothes, I seldom check the thrift shops because they seem to only have ugly clothes in my size. Well today I decided to check it when my older kids were with g'ma. Tey had changed the layout which made it so much easier. I checked out the clothes on the 50% of rack, most were my size, my style and in next to new condition. talk about coincidence. I redid my whole wardrobe(new skirts,pants, shirts,a sweater and nice 2 pce outfit) all for only $22.40. Yesterday I had bought nothing. So day 2 and nothing new from retail, just used.

Brandy Single momma to A(11), C(10), H(6) and I(2)
:
#30 of 124 Old 01-02-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swellmomma View Post
I am so proud of me. I badly need new clothes, I seldom check the thrift shops because they seem to only have ugly clothes in my size. Well today I decided to check it when my older kids were with g'ma. Tey had changed the layout which made it so much easier. I checked out the clothes on the 50% of rack, most were my size, my style and in next to new condition. talk about coincidence. I redid my whole wardrobe(new skirts,pants, shirts,a sweater and nice 2 pce outfit) all for only $22.40. Yesterday I had bought nothing. So day 2 and nothing new from retail, just used.
Nice! Where did you go? I'm on the hunt for another good thrift store.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page