Forum Jump: 

#61 of 239 Old 01-05-2008, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyRev View Post
subbin!

I feel kind of like that...I unofficially compacted for the last year. I didn't really, but my mindset shifted so much that I hardly wanted to buy anything. My definitions of NEED and WANT really changed and I just realized there were very few things I really needed.

Most of my clothes were old to begin with, but now after buying hardly any clothes for a year, stuff started wearing out and fitting wrong. I needed new shoes and jeans, so I bought some. BUT, instead of the way I used to be, where I would buy cheap clothes, feel unsatisfied and buy more cheap clothes I didn't really like, I bought only the clothes that fit REALLY well and were going to last. The money I spent, is at least a good investment, and I won't need to buy more any time soon.

Are you wanting to buy things just because, or are they things you really need? I've been getting more excited about buying quality things that help my daily life, rather than just acquiring stuff.
I agree with you about buying quality over quantity and try to do that too.

I think I'm just feeling conflicted from basically going from not buying much new to then allowing myself to do that and then feeling frivolous and try to justify to myself why I am doing that. I bought a few things which make my home work better for me, I enjoy to look at, but in reality aren't a NEED kwim? So it's not clutter, nor actually solves a real problem, but I like it. I guess there's not really a problem - but what brought the whole feeling to a head yesterday was visiting with my parents who are pretty big spenders. They buy quality and it's all really useful stuff that I would love myself but can't afford - storage ideas, books and more books (I love books) etc. So I felt like I was missing out, whereas in reality, even if I weren't aware of or desiring to live simply, I wouldn't splurge like that anyhow coz of financial reasons.

Anyway, I guess there isn't really a problem, and I'm content most of the time. Thanks for listening.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#62 of 239 Old 01-05-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
i'm so glad to see this thread is going so well!

has anyone read, or is anyone reading, the Simple Living Guide? i have had it for months and have been browsing but it's just not all that great. was anyone able to take anything away from it? it's a huge book and i was hoping for suggestions and ideas. so far i have gotten a few but that's really it.
I love this book. I find it very inspiring to read the stories of what other people have done. I think many of the practical suggestions are in the books and other resources she recommends at the end of each chapter. Each chapter is an overview of a topic related to simple living, with some examples of people making changes, then a list of resources to really dig into that topic if it's an area where you wish to change/explore more.
#63 of 239 Old 01-05-2008, 05:52 PM

I'm in! I'm to the point where I am SICK AND TIRED of having clutter around me..I want to start setting a good example for dd especially now in school where everyone has to have Hanna Montana tickets and 100 webkinz
#64 of 239 Old 01-05-2008, 06:03 PM

Count me in. We were forced to live pretty simply because of moving and because of a dire financial situation and I love it, but still need suggestions with things that I'll get into later.
#65 of 239 Old 01-05-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansricerevolt View Post
Great pictures!

I really need some type of small dresser with drawers. It has to be really small tho because we are lacking the space.
Check craigslist or freecycle. You may have to wait, but generally, you can find something cheap or free that will suit your needs.

Good luck.

I find when I'm going through an unsatisfied phase, I can deal with it if I add some change to my life. Like (when it's warm) going to the park and laying out or swinging or knitting, in the park. Going to the mall to people watch. Making food for the people at church. Playing a video game, reading a book, listening to a book on tape. Going to the zoo or art museum on the free day.sewing crafting, ect.

~ Kim

mama to E (01-2007) and wife to C

#66 of 239 Old 01-06-2008, 12:49 PM

I am in for sure. I have been thinking of living more simple for a very long time and have been in the information gathering stage so now I am ready to act.
#67 of 239 Old 01-06-2008, 10:08 PM

I am totally in.
Do any of you have simple living tribes in real life? I realize that part of my sadness, frustration, and lack of long term commitment to my values and ideals is that I know very few people IRL who are on a similar path. I need to find likeminded people, and I don't know how.
#68 of 239 Old 01-06-2008, 10:18 PM

a2mama, I hear ya! I don't have like-minded friends who are into simple living as such - there are certain aspects I share with others (or others are starting on the journey in a lowkey kind of way that I've observed but not really discussed). However, I am currently working on the Law of Attraction to find my RL tribe!

computergeek2.gif 

#69 of 239 Old 01-06-2008, 10:27 PM

I'm in! Though I'll probably be living vicariously through all of you once my wee one arrives (any day now!) For now, I'm feeling awfully nesty, and off to organize some crafty things into canning jars.
#70 of 239 Old 01-07-2008, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2mama View Post
I realize that part of my sadness, frustration, and lack of long term commitment to my values and ideals is that I know very few people IRL who are on a similar path. I need to find likeminded people, and I don't know how.
I know how you feel. I know no-one IRL that is striving for simplicity! It is hard, I am trying to compact, simplify, cloth diaper ds, and go vegetarian and I don't know anyone who does any of those things
#71 of 239 Old 01-07-2008, 12:22 PM

Id like to join all of you. I try to live simply. Trying to do instead of buy right now. I only know one other person who is on this path but she doesnt have kids so its a little bit different.
#72 of 239 Old 01-07-2008, 12:46 PM

Well I know plenty of people IRL who live 'simply'. Most of them do it because they were raised that way (on a farm/in the country) or they don't have a lot of money to spend.

Ok, they're not super crunchy or anything, but they have gardens, chickens, etc and follow the "make it do or do without" rule. It's the way I was raised and I desperately want to get back there! I feel like once I moved out I went on a spending spree and buying everything new, eating convenience foods etc. In the past couple years that has changed, but I want to take it to a whole new level.
#73 of 239 Old 01-07-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansmum View Post
a2mama, I hear ya! I don't have like-minded friends who are into simple living as such - there are certain aspects I share with others (or others are starting on the journey in a lowkey kind of way that I've observed but not really discussed). However, I am currently working on the Law of Attraction to find my RL tribe!
Psst! Have you heard of Wise Ways of Women? It's an LoA based forum.
#74 of 239 Old 01-07-2008, 01:55 PM

hi again!

there are a few different playgroups that I'm involved with, that are APish, homeschooling, and unschooling. I think some of the mamas I've met are simple living mostly because of financial restraints. I haven't had a chance to get to know people well enough to have a specific conversation about it though.

do you have a local craigslist? you could post on the strictly platonic section seeking friends maybe?

blogging.jpg 
#75 of 239 Old 01-07-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Heather*** View Post

Ahh, Thanks! I wondered where y'all disappeared to with your discussions (assuming it was started in response to all the secret threads....)

computergeek2.gif 

#76 of 239 Old 01-07-2008, 04:22 PM

I thought I already joined, but I don't see my reply. I'm definitely in! We have made some major leaps toward simple living, but there's still lots of room for improvement.
#77 of 239 Old 01-07-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Heather*** View Post
i just tried to join but my email address was banned?

blogging.jpg 
#78 of 239 Old 01-07-2008, 05:12 PM

One of my simple living goals this year is to start composting. Any of you who do have some good websites with lots of information? Thanks!
#79 of 239 Old 01-07-2008, 05:24 PM

I'm in

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#80 of 239 Old 01-07-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidynElyMama View Post
One of my simple living goals this year is to start composting. Any of you who do have some good websites with lots of information? Thanks!
I'm sure this is a silly question and I should know this but......Why should we compost?
#81 of 239 Old 01-07-2008, 05:40 PM

subbing.

#82 of 239 Old 01-07-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieB View Post
I'm sure this is a silly question and I should know this but......Why should we compost?
"As plants grow they remove nutrients from the soil. In nature this nutrient is replaced in the natural cycle of decaying organic matter. This layer of rich top-soil (which is so beneficial for our plants) is called humus.

In our gardens however, we interrupt this cycle by removing unwanted organic matter (e.g. pruning, mowing our lawns and disposing of dead leaves). Without replacing this nutrient
we can make the soil barren and infertile to all but the hardiest plant, leading often to the use of chemical fertilizers and feeds.

An excellent alternative to these, while keeping your garden tidy, is home composting of garden and organic household waste. Organic waste can form up to 1/3 of our weekly rubbish. This goes straight to landfill, fermenting and producing large quantities of the greenhouse gas methane.

Home composting is therefore an excellent solution to these problems, minimising our landfill waste and recycling it back into our gardens."

Short and to the point
#83 of 239 Old 01-07-2008, 05:48 PM

what is 'Subbing?"
#84 of 239 Old 01-07-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidynElyMama View Post

My vermicompost "bible" is Worms eat my garbage
http://www.amazon.com/Worms-Eat-My-G...9738972&sr=8-1

My goal this month is to have it started and set up too.
Im still trying to decide where to put it. Before we moved, we had it in the basement. Now, im trying to figure out if it will "breath" stored under the kitchen sink. Anyone know?
#85 of 239 Old 01-07-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyBlu View Post
what is 'Subbing?"
subscribing.

Joining the thread.

#86 of 239 Old 01-07-2008, 06:03 PM

Hi Ladies!

My name is Gina and currently in San Diego. I had made two resolutions for this year, one is to simplify. With the amount of clutter, activities to deal with and people (8-9) living under my roof....I get so overwhelmed. I need to slow down and start living simply.

I am happy that this thread is here.

Later!
#87 of 239 Old 01-07-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:

Im still trying to decide where to put it. Before we moved, we had it in the basement. Now, im trying to figure out if it will "breath" stored under the kitchen sink. Anyone know?
Thanks for the book recommendation..Is there much cost in starting to compost? I am not very familiar with it either
#88 of 239 Old 01-07-2008, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My main goal for the year is to simplify, and I hope to carry this theme into other areas of my life.

Me 28, DH 30 wheelchair.gif, 2 Kitties cat.gifand working towards having Baby #1. 
#89 of 239 Old 01-07-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkenna&lucas View Post
Thanks for the book recommendation..Is there much cost in starting to compost? I am not very familiar with it either
I've been doing it 3 years and haven't spent a dime!!!

DH built me 3 bins out of pallets he got for free at work. I stash daily compost in a covered tupperware type container under the sink and then toss it in bin #1 when it's full, and add grass clippings and leaves. I turn #1 every few months over into #2, and #2 into #3. By the time it's in #3 it's ready for the garden!

You can make it more complicated if you want but it can be this easy, yoo.
#90 of 239 Old 01-07-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:

I think that would be just fine, since you probably open the cabinet fairly often. Just leave the doors open if you go away for a while.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page