Forum Jump: 

#181 of 239 Old 03-17-2008, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottothinkpositive View Post
so how does this work?
I'm not too sure what you are asking but to me simple living is striving to live a simple life free of the all too common over-consumption, extravagance, and unnecessary conveniences. Hopefully that helped you a little

The way one goes about this is different for all. We are trying to change our mindset and slowly weed out what we don't need in life to make way for what life is really all about.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#182 of 239 Old 03-17-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
I'm not too sure what you are asking but to me simple living is striving to live a simple life free of the all too common over-consumption, extravagance, and unnecessary conveniences. Hopefully that helped you a little

The way one goes about this is different for all. We are trying to change our mindset and slowly weed out what we don't need in life to make way for what life is really all about.
i mean how does the tribe thread work....the challenge or whatever
#183 of 239 Old 03-17-2008, 01:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Read a few of the initial posts, like what I see, subbing to go back and read later.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#184 of 239 Old 03-17-2008, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottothinkpositive View Post
i mean how does the tribe thread work....the challenge or whatever
I guess, for me, its not a challenge. We are a tribe of women who already live simple lives.
#185 of 239 Old 03-17-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansricerevolt View Post
I guess, for me, its not a challenge. We are a tribe of women who already live simple lives.
#186 of 239 Old 03-17-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
And some who are striving for a more simple life. And for me it is a challenge.
#187 of 239 Old 03-17-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldabee View Post
And some who are striving for a more simple life. And for me it is a challenge.
Whaddya wanna do?

Let's chat.
#188 of 239 Old 03-17-2008, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
For me it's a bit of both. I think if you set out to live a more simple life you're already on the path o you are a "simple living mama" but no one is perfect- it's always going to be a challenge.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#189 of 239 Old 03-17-2008, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
Whaddya wanna do?

Let's chat.
I know you weren't addressing me but I have an obstacle right now in my mind that when I think about it sounds so dumb but....

I feel like if we are truly as simple as I feel we should be that our children will hate us. That they will feel deprived without cable and with hand-me-downs and all that. I want happy children and I just feel like they will look at all the other children with their shinny new Dora doll and resent us forever.

This is going to sound really arrogant but I know the problem isn't with living simply but with society. My thing is should I give in to society or do what I should be doing? Of course the latter but at what costs???!!!

#190 of 239 Old 03-17-2008, 12:14 PM

Maggie. Here's a suggestion. I know your question is deeper than what I am going to say. I totally get it. But baby steps. Here's the first one:

Get to know a Saver's. Your kids can have Dora and whatnot at times. There is so much stuff out there...good stuff. Stuff that looks and functions as new, stuff that would go in over-flowing landfills and oceans but has new life in resale.

I had to go to a retail store the other day-- I went to Macy's-- as I heard they were having sales & such. My dds really needed new undies and I was in need of some new bras. But wow-- I was totally overwhlemed in that store. I had no idea that Martha Stewart had a Macy's line. I went over to touch, there was a magnet pulling me in. The market resarchers know what they are doing -- the colors were so pretty. It was all so 'simple' and clean and tidy-looking. I was handling neat kitchenware...the pretty canisters. The petty cotton-rich dishtowels. The 'flour sacks'. All made in China, btw. I had to walk away. It was all a lie. It was all overkill. Total overkill. But standing there, looking at the pretty, the colors, the neatly organized everything...it makes one covet, and I don't much covet. What i am saying is that I understand the pressure society puts on people at times. I feel that I am pretty much beyond the pressure...but oh, the colors, the fantasy of a perfectly organized kitchen...if only I bought all those MIC items. It's crazy. It's manipulative. So I hear you.
#191 of 239 Old 03-17-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:

I feel like if we are truly as simple as I feel we should be that our children will hate us. That they will feel deprived without cable and with hand-me-downs and all that. I want happy children and I just feel like they will look at all the other children with their shinny new Dora doll and resent us forever.

This is going to sound really arrogant but I know the problem isn't with living simply but with society. My thing is should I give in to society or do what I should be doing? Of course the latter but at what costs???!!!
For us, we try and show the DC the joys in life that don't involve consuming. Dora doll or Waldorf doll, its still consuming, YK? Although I totally would choose the waldorf doll (and have) for all the reasons you probably already know. But my 2 yr old DS won't understand that now. In his eyes its consuming.
Don't be so hard on yourself if you do decide to get your dd a Dora doll. I think buying things can be a good lesson in life. Have her join you at the thrift store and discuss why you will be buying her Dora doll used. Then, after a few weeks of searching for the used Dora doll, she may appreciate it more. Honestly, DD who is 9, really could care less about what kids have what. She is more interested in doing things. Now, if her best friend signed up for the 20 mile apple cider family bike ride (happens every year and we try to go) and we had yet to sign up, she would be very annoyed and I would hear it until we did.

TV will probably be hard. We were TV free for years and then had to move in with the IL's around Thanksgiving for 2 months and they had the TV on 24/7. It was really hard. So when our apartment was finally ready and we moved, the DC did go through Television withdraws. It did make me sad but I know how commercial television works so I got over it real fast. As did they. We do watch an occasional movie as a family and the DC appreciate it more. Especially when its summer time and they play free movies in the park! This will be DS first year of movies in the park. The previous years, I thought he was to young.

Now if I really wanted to take simple living to another level, I'd get rid of this computer. We've actually discussed this but feel we should keep it because of homeschooling. Anyone thought about this?

Just wanted to add:
FWIW, DH and I download Lost from itunes every week and watch it when the DC are asleep : Just another temptation the computer has.
#192 of 239 Old 03-17-2008, 12:39 PM

positive, i think what you were asking is what do we *do* here in this thread. if you go and read the thread, i think you can see that mostly folks here are saying what they do, and aspire to do. if you like you could set some goals for things you'd like to do. those who are feeling overwhelmed (and i join you sometimes!!) might like to set some very simple goals. perhaps it would be enough, right now, to plan a meal from scratch, walk to a shop if you can, and bring your own bags. perhaps it is enough to just switch to baking soda and vinegar for cleaners.

i made yogurt yesterday and i am really happy about it, i've begun ordering enough milk that i have extra at the end of the week and can turn that into yogurt.

my goal for this week is to get back to morning + evening routines, and do a weekly cleaning hour. (flylady.net)

i would also like to do some serious freecycling and craigslisting.

lastly i'd like to work on my compost and get it a bit healthier, it is flagging.

#193 of 239 Old 03-17-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
Whaddya wanna do?

Let's chat.
Let's see...on one level, just getting rid of all my crap. Not acquiring more crap. That's what it sort of boils down to.

I want to figure out a way to make a living that will not leave me so frantic and exhausted, like a hamster on a wheel. I want to build a more sustainable life for me and my boy.

I want to figure out what I really need, and just stay with that, not always strive for more. I want to work through my insecure emotional need to acquire, and to hang onto, crap.

I don't even have time to breathe, sometimes, let alone work through this stuff. In spare moments I can envision it, but I don't know how to get from here to there.
#194 of 239 Old 03-17-2008, 12:51 PM

i'm sure we could debate what simple living looks like. i strive to live simply, but also live with techno boy and a LOT of technology. besides this, i use technology in my art practice. i try to keep it simple around all this, in terms of daily life. when we finish with a piece of technology, i pass it down, sell it off, recycle it whenever possible. i wouldn't get rid of our computer just as i wouldn't get rid of our telephone or or collection of books...it is a communication and learning tool, and a creativity tool for us. but i don't yet feel comfortable with all of us having a computer...i share mine with the children. there's enough, and there's way too much...but we all have to negotiate what that is.

i also feel good having a beautiful space...that doesn't have to mean being a hyper-consumer, either. i think it is okay to buy something you really want. buying all the time doesn't sound healthy though, and checking your sources is a good thing. for me there is a balance. i love how being frugal opens up opportunities for my own creativity - i made the pillows on our couch, and it was such a pleasure. i'd like to learn to quilt and make the children quilts one day. i'd love to start sewing some clothing again. i have a pile of mending which will is on my future goal list. i'm quite sure my simplicity looks quite different from the next person!

i think it is important to feel inspired to live simply, not shamed into living simply.

#195 of 239 Old 03-17-2008, 01:10 PM

join, back to post later- Maggie calling me! :

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#196 of 239 Old 03-17-2008, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
join, back to post later- Maggie calling me! :
I was totally like "but I don't have you number " :

#197 of 239 Old 03-18-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:

(
I don't know how old your kids are, but let's give them a bit more credit. We've been able to cut cable and my kids-- who are young but still in "dora" range-- don't miss it. They don't hate me.

They NEVER get new clothes, ever. You can't tell the difference between their clothes and that of the other kids around here.

Yes, society does suck at times. But it is OUR jobs, as parents, to instill in them the values that we want. Kids don't need plastic Dora dolls or The Backyardigans to be happy. They need to play, the need to have parents who love them and to feel secure.

If we say it is society, well then, we might as well pack it in, get the kids cell phones and call it a day.

You can do it!

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#198 of 239 Old 03-18-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I was totally like "but I don't have you number " :
and I was totally going after my dd Maggie! LOL with ya though.

For me simple living is just that. If I have to redo everything and re think than I am not simple living. OTH, it takes some readjusting and slowing down for a good many people to get where I wanted to be and am at. That dosnt mean I do not have days where I need to stop and focus on what it happening at that moment and not think 10 miles ahead. I have people in my life where you see them and you can tell they just came from something and have 10 more things to do in front of them by the concerned, hurried, or whatever that look is on their face. I dont want to be that person. Thats my 2 cents for simple living.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#199 of 239 Old 03-18-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
and I was totally going after my dd Maggie! LOL with ya though.

For me simple living is just that. If I have to redo everything and re think than I am not simple living. OTH, it takes some readjusting and slowing down for a good many people to get where I wanted to be and am at. That dosnt mean I do not have days where I need to stop and focus on what it happening at that moment and not think 10 miles ahead. I have people in my life where you see them and you can tell they just came from something and have 10 more things to do in front of them by the concerned, hurried, or whatever that look is on their face. I dont want to be that person. Thats my 2 cents for simple living.
Oh gosh, yes! I see that frantic all the time. Simplifying, to me, means slowing it all down and appreciating where you are at, and then thoughtfully going forward with a present mindset is where I strive to be, If one is stressing over cleaning the closet and missing the dearness of the children at your feet, it hardly seems worth it, imo. Decluttering things people love and find important, whether the declutterer agrees or not, is also not 'simple'. Respecting the process....myself...the people....the children...that's what it is about for me.

Not that i think cleaning the closet isn't something that needs to be done at times. But missing the trees for the forest is not going to help anyone 'get' what's important.
#200 of 239 Old 03-19-2008, 01:29 AM

A huge irony for me was realizing how much time I was spending reading and posting about simplifying and living naturally and how little time I was actually DOING those things. So I'm finding that spending less time "researching" simplifying is actually simplifying my life!

Simplifying for me involves choosing how I want to live. Living authentically. It also involves only buying one brand and style of socks for my son and I so I never have to match socks. (My dh has different colors and styles because he needs them for work clothes--but he does his own laundry!)

A BIG part of simplifying for me--which is also my biggest challenge--is clutter. I have not been good about limiting what comes into the house. Especially toys. The clutter problem is the main reason I stay connected to the simplifying community. I often get up and do some decluttering after reading decluttering threads!

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#201 of 239 Old 06-09-2008, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Bumping this tribe because me-oh-my I need to!

I have really become laxed on this. I have been very depressed and accordingly have had no energy to do anything but be half-assed. It's gotten worse, I am ashamed to admit. So I am bumping this for inspiration and community. It can be discouraging when IRL everyone thinks you're just crazy and that one day you'll "grow up" and be "normal"

#202 of 239 Old 06-09-2008, 12:18 PM

mag, i hope you feel better soon. i have been feeling similarly, there's been a lot of stress around here.

now we've decided to reinvent our lives. we're selling our apartment, and lot of the contents. my projects for the next two weeks are to ruthlessly declutter, pack up things we'd like to keep but won't be using for some time while we're living in different places, and seriously prune all of our possessions. i admit i'm inspired to get rid of a lot of things i don't like that much because someday i will probably have a little home with things i DO love...that feels good. i don't know when that will be, so it is nice to just release a lot of stuff. i'm looking forward to living with a LOT less...i hope that's what my life looks like for a while.

off to get started already!

#203 of 239 Old 06-09-2008, 01:26 PM

OOOHhhh, i'm in. I've been decluttering like a madwoman for the past year, and still have a long ways to go til i'm happy with what we have left. We live in a tiny house, and it's full of too much stuff we don't need/use.
I think family is starting to get that we don't want "Stuff" though

Living and learning with my four young ones......
#204 of 239 Old 06-09-2008, 01:33 PM

I want to join!

We're striving to de-clutter and simplify our lives. We moved into our first house last October and are still finding the "right" places for everything. I have three boxes waiting for the local ARC thrift store to come and get them...
I'm working on only keeping items that have significant meaning to our family. DH is on board, but he fights between his consumer cultured side and living simply. Sometimes we have to discuss between a "green"-simple purchase and a frugal one, for example: putting carpet into our basement - wool carpet or Low-VOC recycled carpet squares vs. traditional carpet ($8.00 sq ft compared to $2-4.00)
I would rather put in the wool or Low-VOC squares while he would rather put in "cheaper" carpet and save the money.

For me to live simply is to have less stuff, enjoy more time with family and do work that I really love, make conscious puchases, support local, sustainable businesses and eco-friendly organizations. It means spending time with my DD and it doesn't matter what we're doing because she's learning something.
It's about avoiding big box stores, at least ones that have un-ethical practices and making smart decisions/choices about purchases we do make.

Conversely since starting this journey, about the time DD was born, I've found that I don't shop mindlessly as often as I did before. I'll go to a store and find that I wander around and don't buy anything, because I'd rather not spend the money on it.

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#205 of 239 Old 06-10-2008, 01:52 PM

glad to see this getting back here!

#206 of 239 Old 06-10-2008, 11:39 PM

I feel like I'm stalling. Like, we've done so much (cut back shopping, buy used, gone to one car, bike) that I feel like....well, what else can I do?

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#207 of 239 Old 06-11-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I feel like I'm stalling. Like, we've done so much (cut back shopping, buy used, gone to one car, bike) that I feel like....well, what else can I do?

I have this same problem. I try to cut back more, but I think I've left most of the difficult stuff for last. Now, we'd have to turn our home solar or buy a hybrid or start homesteading or something. Seems like we've done most all of the little things.

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#208 of 239 Old 07-12-2008, 03:27 PM

Bump and subbing

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
#209 of 239 Old 07-12-2008, 05:51 PM

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#210 of 239 Old 11-25-2008, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Shamelessly bumping this again!

We have been getting rid of a lot of stuff to make us 5 living in our 2 bedroom apartment easier and more tidy. We don't really plan on getting anything much bigger so we are settling into small and simple living.

I have derived a simple meal plan. Basically I focus on a few simple ingredients for each day (like Wednesday is beans and rice) and then each week I make a variation of that (like one week refried beans with spanish rice then the next week kidney beans in brown rice with veggies and spices).

I'm trying really hard to work with what I've got too. I am making a picnic blanket out of all the acrylic yarn I was just going to get rid of (I hate acrylic yarn!) I had a trashbag full of it and decided to use it up instead.

How is everyone else doing?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page