Simple Living Mamas Tribe! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 239 Old 01-01-2008, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

we are striving for simple living in my home and would love to have a thread for all us simple mamas (and maybe some papas?) i'd love to start a tribe

here's a short and sweet definition of simple living via wikipedia...
Quote:
Simple living (or voluntary simplicity) is a lifestyle in which individuals consciously choose to minimize the 'more-is-better' pursuit of wealth and consumption.
The Simple Living Network says...
Quote:
Simple living -- aka voluntary simplicity -- has just about as many definitions as there are individuals who practice it. Simple living is not about living in poverty or self-inflicted deprivation. Rather, it is about living an examined life -- one in which you have determined what is important, or "enough," for you, discarding the rest.

thread with list of Simple blogs

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#2 of 239 Old 01-01-2008, 04:12 PM

I would definitely love to join you. I have been trying to live simply for quite a while. We are very conscious of our purchases and how we live. We have a long way to go. I sometimes get so caught up with what everyone around me has and I am working so hard to get out of that mindset. If I surround myself with people who also believe in simple living, I think that will make it that much easier to resist the urge.

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#3 of 239 Old 01-01-2008, 04:35 PM

I'm always looking for ways to simplify. Lately I've been reading the www.zenhabits.com website. Even if you don't subscribe to a particular religion, there is always something to be learned from others.
#4 of 239 Old 01-01-2008, 04:45 PM

Ooh, sounds great! We are making some major simplifying shifts, including Compacting.

FYI - That zenhabits site in the pp is a .net not .com. Thanks for sharing the link. I'll check it out thoroughly soon.
#5 of 239 Old 01-01-2008, 05:14 PM

I'm here too!

I love this definition of it...

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#6 of 239 Old 01-01-2008, 06:07 PM

I'm here. There are 8 of us (five kids, two parents and an elderly uncle) in a 1600-ish sq row house. Three bedrooms and a third floor.

I am trying to convince my dh to buy some land and live in a yurt. He hasn't agreed yet, but he's not totally against the idea either. He wants to have that for a weekend getaway, PLUS our house now. I don't think I'd want to leave the land/yurt to come back on Monday! We'll see what happens...

Regardless, I am really trying to live simply. We don't have tons of stuff as it is, but I'm on a mission to get rid of everything we don't use on a regular bases. Either by donating, trashing or re-using it in a different way.

I am at the point where I am saddened by going into a big box store - its not as hard to go in and not get stuff I don't need (and the list of things I "need" from those stores is slowly decreasing as well).

Looking forward to hearing more about everyone's journey.
#7 of 239 Old 01-01-2008, 06:21 PM

With the New Year, I want to shift more focus onto our home. This will be a wonderful year for us, I can just tell! DH and I live in a 600 sq ft, 2 bedroom apartment. Somehow over the years, our "things" have piled up. I am just tired of having all this extra clutter around! We need to make new space for some new children.

I want to live in a cozy home surrounded by beautiful items. In a homey way. I don't want a lot of unnecessary items floating around, reminding me of the past or things that I "should" do.

We live on the third floor and I have been very aware lately about what comes IN and OUT of our home. From every gift, cast off, recycling, garbage, and /or purchased item. It is almost embarrassing.

I will start with a huge cleaning/decluttering/donating spree, then I want to work on setting up our home to run efficiently/beautifully/meaningfully.
#8 of 239 Old 01-01-2008, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You know, I'm going to go ahead and join. I don't know how I'll do, but it's a goal I have this year.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#9 of 239 Old 01-01-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Heather*** View Post
I want to live in a cozy home surrounded by beautiful items. In a homey way. I don't want a lot of unnecessary items floating around, reminding me of the past or things that I "should" do.

I will start with a huge cleaning/decluttering/donating spree, then I want to work on setting up our home to run efficiently/beautifully/meaningfully.
Totally. This is my goal for this year.

I want to live simply but beautifully and with purpose. I want a home that is comfortable, efficient, and peaceful, not hectic and overfilled.

Glad I found this thread, I'm totally on board!

What are some specific ways you all plan on bringing this about in your own homes?
#10 of 239 Old 01-01-2008, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I signed up here for a free decluttering calendar. I have no idea what it's like though.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#11 of 239 Old 01-01-2008, 06:46 PM

Subbing and : . My goals are to continue on our simplification journey and I'd love to hear what you other mommas have to say.
#12 of 239 Old 01-01-2008, 07:06 PM

Count me in. This has been on my mind so much lately. DH and I are trying to live purposefully and more simply. We want live live for our life, not our things.

Me:
#13 of 239 Old 01-01-2008, 07:56 PM

I have gotten started on this by doing a big decluttering around here. With a 6 year old and 1 year old twins, life can get a little hectic. I am wanting to simplify so I don't spend so much time cleaning. I'm loving the ideas!! Thanks mamas!

Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)

#14 of 239 Old 01-01-2008, 07:57 PM

me me!!!
#15 of 239 Old 01-01-2008, 08:15 PM

Count me in for sure!
#16 of 239 Old 01-01-2008, 08:29 PM

Subbing!!

Me!!

I started last yr, and I have improved much. but I need help with some things.
#17 of 239 Old 01-01-2008, 08:31 PM

I'm subbing. I've done a pretty goo job of de-cluttering post-holiday season, but I aspire for more!
#18 of 239 Old 01-01-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I signed up here for a free decluttering calendar. I have no idea what it's like though.
Thanks for the link!
#19 of 239 Old 01-01-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansmum View Post
I'm here too!

I love this definition of it...
I, too, love that definition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyPrincess View Post
I am trying to convince my dh to buy some land and live in a yurt. He hasn't agreed yet, but he's not totally against the idea either. He wants to have that for a weekend getaway, PLUS our house now. I don't think I'd want to leave the land/yurt to come back on Monday! We'll see what happens...
I am trying to get my dh to live in a yurt too! So far he is considering living in one while he builds us an energy efficient house.
#20 of 239 Old 01-01-2008, 09:39 PM

I'm in.

I'm decluttering and compacting. I'm also interested in growing our own food, cooking from scratch, repurposing our clothes and generally "making do". I want more time as a family and less time in the rat race. I refuse to live above our means and spend a life drowning in debt.

I'd love to have a tribe of like-minded people!
My DH is on board, if a few steps behind me.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#21 of 239 Old 01-01-2008, 09:45 PM

I'm in. We've been doing the simple thing for several months and I love it. Grow food, declutter and simplify.

Simple living is where it is at! Woohoo!!!

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#22 of 239 Old 01-01-2008, 10:09 PM

Dh and I have been getting here in our own ways, but are really going to try to simplify intentionally this year. We already found so much greater peace from our journey so far. Thanks for all the great links!

Angie, mama to Anna '01, Mia '04, and Leif '08 and angel1.gif '03  angel1.gif'07 angel1.gif'12.Expecting someone new in 7/13! pos.gif

h20homebirth.gif familybed2.gif bftoddler.gif homeschool.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

#23 of 239 Old 01-01-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiemonster View Post
I'm in.

I'm decluttering and compacting. I'm also interested in growing our own food, cooking from scratch, repurposing our clothes and generally "making do". I want more time as a family and less time in the rat race. I refuse to live above our means and spend a life drowning in debt.
I'm loving that too. One big goal that we made happen in 2007 along with living simpler was to also have DH working locally and cut back on the commute he was doing - it's been the best thing. We are earning a little less and putting us in a tighter position than before, but the extra time that dh is home with us has made it worthwhile and he is also enjoying the job he now has more too along with the less stress.

We're in summer right now, and this summer is going to be about camping holidays (we have 2 planned in the next month with friends) and a big road trip to visit my IL's but in a relaxed fashion and making the whole trip part of the trip rather than just getting to the end destination the best bit iykwim? In the past I've dreaded the whole trip up and back (2 days driving each way), but this year it's going to be seen as part of the adventure.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#24 of 239 Old 01-01-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:

I just started this. I am freecycling a whole list of things and it's pretty cool at how quick they're getting picked up. I love that others can use what I don't want.

My biggest challenges are the office / paperwork / craft items and living room / mail / craft items. Organizing isn't easy, but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

I guess I'm in.

~ Kim

mama to E (01-2007) and wife to C

#25 of 239 Old 01-01-2008, 11:46 PM

Subbing.
#26 of 239 Old 01-01-2008, 11:56 PM

Count me in!

Mama to my 3 wild things.

#27 of 239 Old 01-02-2008, 01:35 AM

Quote:
This is exactly how I feel. I have a feeling it's going to be a long journey for me and my little family, but joining this tribe seems like a good first step!

Count me in!

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
#28 of 239 Old 01-02-2008, 01:54 AM

I'm definitely in. This is my major goal for 2008. I want to greatly reduce the amount of 'stuff' in our home. The more I get rid of, the better I feel!

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#29 of 239 Old 01-02-2008, 06:04 PM

Dh and I have been talking al ot about making a list of goals for the year and just being more aware of how we live and the choices we make. So count me in.
#30 of 239 Old 01-02-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidynElyMama View Post
Totally. This is my goal for this year.

I want to live simply but beautifully and with purpose. I want a home that is comfortable, efficient, and peaceful, not hectic and overfilled.
me too!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page