Mothering Forum banner

January Decluttering Challenge!

2K views 87 replies 31 participants last post by  hellyaellen 
#1 ·
Happy New Year January declutterers! I am going to get rid of 500 items this month. After the holidays, my place is a wreck.

Who is with me?

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm having a hard time keeping these threads straight!
: Is this the 2008 in 2008 decluttering monthly thread for January?

Either way, my plan is to declutter my clothes this month. Ten years of kids clothes, stored in bins that we've been living out of. I stacked them in my room so I coudn't "forget" about it, so now the disaster is in my room - at least its contained, and not all over the house, though.

I should be getting started, instead of sitting on the computer...

#5 ·
You are a bit more ambitious than I.
Though in my defense, dh is home on break from work and I don't get nearly the same things accomplished with him home. Though, we did say we wanted to go through the garage before he headed back to work, so there is some hope.

#10 ·
I'm in! I'll start off with 350 items.

And I can already start counting!
Out to the trash pile today:
1 horrible broken hand-me-down chair
1 broken window fan
1 tv satellite (the stupid co. won't take it back and we have zero use for it as we couldn't get service since we have too many trees
: )
3/350

#11 ·
I was planning to join the 2008 in 2008 group, but I'm not sure how much I can realistically get done with a newborn this year. So, I'll take it month by month!

I'm in for 200 this month!

Yesterday I got rid of:
- 2 stained shirts
- 1 broken toy
- 3 ornaments I hate
- 3 old throw pillows

I'm listing some items today on Freecycle and on the TP, so hopefully I'll have a lot more to add this week.

9/200

#13 ·
I want in, mamas!

I pledge 200 in january

bit of a cheat cuz i just freecycled two computers monitors and keyboards.....

edies toys are going to the resale shop....appointment next wednesday

and i have a large box of mama clothes going off to a mama on MDC

I have my eye on all those empty jars....really, do I need to save them? I get new ones all the time with pasta sauce and salsa

and i have a few things for CL.

I am seriously sick of ALL THIS STUFF!!!!

#15 ·
I just cleaned out the attic and slimmed down the kid's toys and gone and redid the kitchen cabinets...500 items done! I'm not stopping though. I've had it up to HERE with all this stuff!!! Next stop, my closet and then the storage room...look out local charities...here I come!
:

#16 ·
Today:

- 1 NEW tablecloth that shrank
:
- 3 tablecloths that don't fit table w/leaf (and since we never take the leaf out, why have the tablecloths?
)
- 1 knick-knack
- 1 double-sided towel holder

All of this, plus some stuff from the garage is going into my car today, to be dropped off at the thrift store tomorrow.
It doesn't sound like a lot, but then, the pile in my garage is quite tall

15/200

#18 ·
165 more clothing items to various family members and to Goodwill!
and
20 more books to Goodwill

798/1000

Might up my goal to 1500!!!

#19 ·
Hi I have been lurking on here for awhile..... browsing the threads for motivation.... & most of the time I find myself reading the decluttering posts. I have some serious decluttering & organizing to do. We are a family of 6 in a rowhome & we have too much stuff!

Count me in
I have never counted when going through things.... but I'd like to set a goal of 500 too!

#20 ·
I did the bathroom vanity last night and the entire third floor today. I tried to count, really I did. I got to 44/2008, but I just couldn't keep up.

Plus, its not totally accurate - sometimes I count total objects, sometimes I count bags of the same item or trash. So I'll post my progress, I'll even try to do pictures, but I find counting slows me up. Plus, my goal isn't really a number - its more like getting to a certain point in my house.

#21 ·
Monkeyprincess, IKWYM. Sometimes counting helps keep me motivated, other times I just lose track. My goal this month is really to declutter all the closets and then the kitchen drawers if I get to it. But the number sounded good LOL.
I'm at 20 items, and have decluttered the hall closet that has all of our winter gear in it. I also took the coffee table out of that closet, and put it in the living room. I'm putting in on trial for a month, if I don't like it after that it needs to go, but there is no reason to keep it in a closet.

#22 ·
I'm not keeping a strict count, just an estimate for most things. I have 2 bags and 2 boxes full of garbage that I didn't count at all. I'm mostly counting clothes and books.

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by captivatedlife View Post
I'm going for 100. Let's start slow.

But I just got rid of 2 things I freecycled - if the person shows up!

So it's a start.
I get a TON of no shows from freecycle, try craigslist, they almost always seem to show for me, and they are good about meeting in public places so you dont have them at your house!

I also just got rid of a Carpet Cleaner/Steamer, King Size Bed Set, Curtains, Extra Left over Paint, some luggage etc. I love cleaning, organizing and simplifying!

#24 ·
I added more stuff to the donation trip today:

- 1 tablecloth new in package; I was going to sell it, but donating was easier!
- 3 men's jackets/coats

The garage looks MUCH better now

19/200

I have to look back at my old posts; I'm not sure I ever counted the stuff in the garage (because it wasn't really "gone").

#25 ·
I have yet to start ... I am so waiting for dh to go back to work (I love him home for a week or so, but then it's time to get back to my regularly scheduled program
). Next week I should be back to my motivated self and then I'll start the real work.

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by anthasam View Post

The garage looks MUCH better now

19/200

I have to look back at my old posts; I'm not sure I ever counted the stuff in the garage (because it wasn't really "gone").

Ok, I just searched the forum and only found where I counted the garage sale items we actually SOLD, not the leftovers we just PILED!

Well then, I can now add about 75 items to my count

94/200

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.