2008 in 2008 January Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 307 Old 01-07-2008, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm finally feeling like I'm making progress!! As soon as DH gets home from work I'm going to load up the goodwill stuff to take to Goodwill, than I'm going to take the stuff my mom is going to store for me (maternity clothes, kids clothes I want to keep for future children) and then I'll have SOOO much out of here!! Like 12 sacks (to goodwill) and 5 or 6 totes to my moms!!

Woo Hoo!!!

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#122 of 307 Old 01-07-2008, 07:18 PM

Has anyone else made any money decluttering? So far I've added $211 to our bank acct by selling some slings and bags. I have a plasma car to list on craigslist which will be another 50 if that sells. w00t!

So 2 bags were mailed off to new homes today. Also got rid of some more toys and unneeded junk. 37 items there.

330|2008
#123 of 307 Old 01-07-2008, 07:28 PM

Progress is being made!

Yesterday dh cleared out his roll-top desk so we could set it up with the kids' computer. He tossed an old phone charger, two camera bag straps, 2 grocery sacks worth of random papers, and another stack of random stuff on his desk.

26/2008

Today I'm going through a stack of cds that were hidden under all the stuff on dh's desk, ripping them to the computer and putting the disks into our big music case--tossing all the jewel cases! I'll have a total later today, but I'm at 7 jewel cases tossed so far.

Sarah ~ Kinda Crunchy Mom to 11yodd , 10yods, 10yods (MZ twins), 7yods , 5yods , 3yods

#124 of 307 Old 01-07-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetfeet View Post
Has anyone else made any money decluttering? So far I've added $211 to our bank acct by selling some slings and bags. I have a plasma car to list on craigslist which will be another 50 if that sells. w00t!

So 2 bags were mailed off to new homes today. Also got rid of some more toys and unneeded junk. 37 items there.

330|2008
I have made $100 selling books and clothes. It has actually inspired my husband to let go of some of his books, now that he sees mine selling like hotcakes.
I am putting the $ I earn into a separate account, which we will use for gifts throughout the year.
#125 of 307 Old 01-07-2008, 08:41 PM

I'm attempting to sell a sling and a headboard...no offers yet. I'm also going to list our broken down van (how's that for clutter?) on Craigslist. If the headboard and van sell half will be used for bills and half will be used for James' birthday (in 3 weeks). If the van sells it will go into a seperate account for Christmas 2008

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#126 of 307 Old 01-07-2008, 10:03 PM

I made $20 selling Baby Einstein DVDs. I have another $100 worth of stuff listed that I am hoping will go this week. We just spent $280 on our van today so I am hoping to recoup that money selling stuff in the next 2 weeks.
#127 of 307 Old 01-07-2008, 10:32 PM

265/2008

With my current energy level (low), I have really only been able to do small things. Individually, they don't make much difference, but I hope that collectively I will begin to notice some changes.

I mailed three books today. The rest of the items were junk that just needed to be thrown away (cd case, holey socks).

I am hoping to use tomorrow to deliver packages/donations/big trash item, so I should break into the 300s.

Keep up the good work everyone!
#128 of 307 Old 01-08-2008, 12:10 AM

I got rid of a bunch of stuff today. I finally let go of over 100 magazines that I'd been saving - some for 10 years. I had all sorts of bookmarks in many of them, but they have been sitting in my closet ever since we moved in this house - almost 5 years ago! I finally realized that if I hadn't looked at them in 5 years they really weren't important.
Anyway, to be "fair" to myself I'm counting every title as just one piece, instead of each magazine seperately. So my 30 Martha Stewart Livings? - will count as 1. In all I decluttered 7 different magazine titles as well as some more clothes for a grand total of 21.

SO I'm up to 173/2008!!!
#129 of 307 Old 01-08-2008, 12:22 AM

More clothes out the door and freecycled! 212/2008

Angie, mama to Anna '01, Mia '04, and Leif '08 and angel1.gif '03  angel1.gif'07 angel1.gif'12.Expecting someone new in 7/13! pos.gif

h20homebirth.gif familybed2.gif bftoddler.gif homeschool.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

#130 of 307 Old 01-08-2008, 12:43 AM

I cleared 10 things out of the fridge.

88/2008

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#131 of 307 Old 01-08-2008, 01:50 AM

(3) dead dry erase markers
(3) old calendars that I swore I would do something crafty with - recycled

Total: 50/2008

I did list eight different things on craigslist, and also found a few items to put up on ebay, amazon, and bookins, so there's progress. Just not counting anything until it's out of the house.

Ecstatic mama to our one and only Aurora (Apr 07)
#132 of 307 Old 01-08-2008, 02:24 AM

I've been reading, but haven't posted yet. This is a great idea for a challenge; I'm hoping to exceed 2008, but I don't want to get overwhelmed either. My decluttering journey has been a 4-year (so far) process. I can't believe how much junk I've rid myself of and it feels SO GOOD! I think DH has more stuff than I do now and he's the one who was on my back about it since we moved in together.

I'm documenting my progress on my blog as well, but only once a week, so that's probably what I'll do here as well. Anyway, here's what I've gotten down for the first week in January:

RETURNED TO OTHERS:
17 items of clothing lent to Jonas

RECYCLED:
10 paperwork (small stacks)
3 catalogs

TRASHED:
1 old lotion
1 cassette
old paint cup/brush
old watercolors
3 balloons (deflated, then tossed)
pinwheel from Halloween
2 ornaments
pile candy canes
ripped poster of Solana's
macaroni necklace
nasty lead-filled blood pressure cuff Fisher Price refuses to recall still

DONATED (okay, it's all in the donate boxes and not actually donated yet, but I'm really good about getting it there when I'm in the area; I refuse to make a trip 30 minutes just for that):

new body lotion
new body wash
Fisher Price medical kit (minus the lead-filled blood pressure cuff that has yet to be recalled)
cell phone charger
cell phone headset
5 magazines
16 kids' books
4 random toys
2 toy swords from our trip to the circus with the in-laws
changing pad
LeapFrog system with books/cartridges
4 cups with lids
play food
22 articles of Jonas' clothing
1 pair of Jonas' shoes
8 articles of Solana's clothing
3 pairs of Solana's shoes (yes, she had 3 or 4 pairs to Jonas' 1)
1 article of my clothing

GRAND TOTAL FOR WEEK 1: 117/2008
#133 of 307 Old 01-08-2008, 02:32 AM

Cleared out some more clothes from my closet and my the boys room for a grand total of 56/2008

I can't wait to keep going!
#134 of 307 Old 01-08-2008, 04:07 AM

Well, I'm a bit late to show up but I'd love to join you all!
I'm going to have to get quite a bit done by the end of the week as DD is having her birthday party here.
I may end up doing some (more) stashing in our bedroom, that's usually where it ends up

Things are a bit more chaotic here as we've rotated bedrooms, and will be giving DS and DD separate rooms. We live in a 3 bedroom, 1 (tiny!) bath, <1000 sq ft house. We have WAY too much stuff for the space that we have and it's got to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by epdeans View Post
I am getting so excited about decluttering 2008 in 2008 as well as compacting. This is the perfect time in my life because I have been CRAVING creative action in my life.

The way I see it, you can not help but become more creative when you slow down and stop buying more and more, you have to reuse and recyle what you have, you have to THINK about what you really need and how to obtain it, and then decluttering helps get the energy flowing throughout.
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by epdeans View Post
My plan is to start to declutter January 1st. I plan to take a picture of every room in my house ( this scares me ) and post it here for all to see and then take a monthly photo beginning Feb. 1st.
I think I'll do the same thing. No promises on posting the before pics though :

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonboy'smommy View Post
I think I'll keep my goal a secret though, cause dh might get all excited and start throwing things out the front door My clutter drives him nuts!
Same here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2mama View Post

I am going to schedule one day each week (will change depending on what's going on) to take the stuff out of my house (to the recycle center, reuse center, salvation army, or children's orchard).
Great idea!
#135 of 307 Old 01-08-2008, 04:08 AM

In reorganizing some things in the laundry room, I found some more stuff to get rid of.

- a couple nice incense burners and incense to go with it - probably gonna put that on the TP here

- a crock pot that I burned the plug on (my dh assures me we can replace the plug, but I never liked that crock pot anyway, so this is my excuse to get rid of it!)

- an electric iced tea maker that I've had for 10 years and I do use it a couple times a year, but have decided to not waste energy doing it, anyone able to tell me how to make sun tea? :

- and some other stuff that I can't remember already! Shows how much I liked/used that stuff!

- the BIG thing is a whole desk! It's funny because that was the very first thing I took on when this decluttering bug bit me a few weeks ago. I pared it down pretty good and got rid of piles and piles of clutter. Tonight, I pared it down even more and got everything I wanted to keep into one of those clementine boxes, plus a file folder and a pencil holding utensil next to it. My stationary stuff will now live in the laundry room cabinet and I can get rid of a big huge desk!

- so adding some misc pieces of trash to my list

Tomorrow, I am going to finish up with some odds and ends to put away, since I can't go wandering around the house with everyone sleeping. And if its as warm out tomorrow as it was today, I am going to tackle the porch. Oh, yeah! I also need to organize the tops of the shelves in the laundry room. I totally missed them!

It's a neat feeling to know EXACTLY where everything is in my house! I haven't been able to say that in a long, long time!
#136 of 307 Old 01-08-2008, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1 wheeled backpack I haven't used in years--Goodwill
Another box to recycle

240/2008

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#137 of 307 Old 01-08-2008, 01:19 PM

yesterday i dropped off at gw:
1 ottoman
10 or more kitchen items in a box
60 or more articles of clothing - three trash bags full and so much more where that came from!
30 or more books in 1 basket i'm done with because it's really not working for me anymore

back to sil:
40 or more articles of borrowed baby clothes

and today, to a friend, 40 or more articles of baby clothes he really needs, in 1 duffle bag i'm done with; 1 tupperware container, with the lid of course, and a frozen meal inside for a mama lying in with her newborn!

that brings my total from a very sad 5 up to 189/2008!

marisa
#138 of 307 Old 01-08-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyPrincess View Post

- an electric iced tea maker that I've had for 10 years and I do use it a couple times a year, but have decided to not waste energy doing it, anyone able to tell me how to make sun tea? :
I just add water (Temp. doesn't matter) and tea bags to a glass beverage jug like this http://www.amazon.com/JARDEN-71132-1...9810576&sr=8-1
and set it outside in the sun. I usually set it out early in the morning and by the time dinner rolls around, its ready.

I've also just added hot water (a little less than 1/4 of the way full) to a jug and a few tea bags and let it steep for about 20 minutes. Take out the tea bags and add cold water.
#139 of 307 Old 01-08-2008, 02:02 PM

I just threw out my CHristmas cards!! I have never done that before-- I always feel guilty about it-- esp. when there are pics on them. But I did it!
63/2008

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
#140 of 307 Old 01-08-2008, 02:21 PM

[QUOTE=beansricerevolt;10221184I've also just added hot water (a little less than 1/4 of the way full) to a jug and a few tea bags and let it steep for about 20 minutes. Take out the tea bags and add cold water.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I do. I use near boiling water (I have a tea pot), let it seep a while...after 20 mins it's generally cool enough that I can reach in with bare hands and get the tea bags out without burning myself...I squeeze them just a bit to get more tea out (wring out the water) and then fill it the rest of the way with cold water, add some ice cubes and voila, nice cool tea! Thats how we made tea when I worked at a coffee shop.

#141 of 307 Old 01-08-2008, 02:27 PM

Today my goal is to:

Throw the mostly empty boxes of cereal away. We get SOO much cereal from WIC that we could eat cereal for all 3 meals and STILL not use it all up! So we have a TON of it around the house. I'm also going to box up the ones we haven't opened yet and give them to the food pantry...it's not like we can't get more cereal if we need it If we didn't need the eggs, juice, milk and cheese so badly (and not be able to afford it) I'd stop getting WIC...*sigh*

So that is my goal for today. I have a box that I need to take up to the food pantry already.

Rest of my goals:

1) Finish cleaning the bedrooms
2) Fill up empty boxes with stuff to move
3) Put boxes in our closet
4) Clean off all surfaces in the house: TV stand, book shelves, dressers, computer desk, end table, kitchen cart, counters, fridge, bathroom counter, end table, sofa, James' bed.

But right now I'm snuggling a baby so I'll get to it in a bit

#142 of 307 Old 01-08-2008, 02:34 PM

11 Baby Einstein DVDs sold & 1 Box of temporary tattoos freecycled.

New total 268/2008
#143 of 307 Old 01-08-2008, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One broken showerhead off the bathroom floor (was replaced several days ago) and trashed.

241/2008

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#144 of 307 Old 01-08-2008, 05:08 PM

1 Little People Farm
4 Little People Farmers
10 LP Animals
6 farm accessories
1 yoga punch card (got $80 for this!)

New total 290/2008
#145 of 307 Old 01-08-2008, 06:35 PM

15 expired, stale, almost empty/not a full serving things thrown out of my kitchen!

968/2008

#146 of 307 Old 01-08-2008, 10:30 PM

286/2008

sold some cds, cleaned out the game cupboard, getting rid of my christmas shirts (why have a shirt I can only wear a few times a year.) And a bunch of other stuff I can't remember.
#147 of 307 Old 01-08-2008, 11:29 PM

7 Things today.
2 things sold on half.com (packaged and ready for the mailman tomorrow) and the rest (donated) were random things I ran into while cleaning today.

New total
385/2008
#148 of 307 Old 01-09-2008, 01:30 AM

3 Elmo's World DVDs ($10)
1 Cranium game
1 cookbook
1 book on Calligraphy
5 Calligraphy pens

New total 301/2008

I've also made $110 selling items in the last 24 hours. My goal is $350 in the next 2 weeks to pay for the new shocks we had to put on the van yesterday.
#149 of 307 Old 01-09-2008, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamavegan View Post
I cleared 10 things out of the fridge.

88/2008
Cleared out a bunch of old cards and paper clutter while reorganizing my closet and preparing to reorganize DS's closet.

+15

103/2008

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#150 of 307 Old 01-09-2008, 04:18 AM

DH figures he got rid of 100 things over the weekend, so I'm updating the total on my siggy!

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page