not getting rid of things "because we can sell them" - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 01-04-2008, 02:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I find ebay to be to much work for small items personally. I craigslist clothes, kitchen items and well just about anything that I would like to sell and if there are no takers than I put it in the goodwill pile. I would say a good 90% of our stuff goes directly to the goodwill for lack of time/motivation and storing space rather than selling. I would love to try to sell more, but hubby likes to just get rid of things ASAP! I say a good compromise is a weeks worth of trying to sell on craigslist and if it does not sell within that time frame that it has got to go. Could you do a yard sale with what you have now to jump start things?
#32 of 34 Old 01-04-2008, 09:49 AM

We only sell what would be worth the effort to list on eBay and to take to the post office to mail it. Otherwise we donate. I don't do yard sales (I have anxiety with strangers coming to my house).

Best wishes!

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4
#33 of 34 Old 01-04-2008, 11:28 AM

I'm struggling with this also. I have two rooms in my basement filled with boxes of stuff. Part of me wants to try to sell it, but I think about all the work it would be to price it (and hope it sells) and then rebox up all that didn't sell and take it to Goodwill, and I get overwhelmed and don't know where to start. My other problem is that I told the kids that they could sell their stuff and keep any money from the sale. So now I feel like I have to have the garage sale for them. What to do, what to do. :

Jill
#34 of 34 Old 01-04-2008, 11:54 AM

I am another one that have VERY disappointing yard sale results so that cured me for a while.

Then our son was born and I accumulated so much stuff. I kept thinking "it is too good to give away" or "I could sell it"

Of course I never did either and after two years, we had a room full of clothes and baby gear.

Then a neighbor couple became pregnant (young couple, a total surprise) and I forced myself to let go. All in all, I probably gave them $1,000 (retail) worth of carseats, baby gear, and clothing. In reality, I doubt I could have sold all of it for more than $100.

I did take some of the nicest clothing to a resale shop but the price they offered me was so low, I decided to give it away to a local shelter instead.

I have sold a few things on ebay, a travel bed, packable high, etc. and got decent prices but when time and shipping is factored in, I don't think it was worth the effort.

I have friends that make hundreds of dollars having yard sales but I know they also spend lots on the clothing intially, something I don't do.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page