not getting rid of things "because we can sell them" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 01-02-2008, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any advice for this kind of mindset? I love the idea, we could use the money!! But really and truly I am run off my feet and do not have the time to sell our things. Neither does he. We're swimming in stuff and I just want it to GO. I have a sense of urgency about it, it's an inner gut feeling... I need to organize our lives asap. but DH doesn't want to get rid of things unless we sell them. "We could make money with that." Compromises? Ideas to sort of bring him around?
#2 of 34 Old 01-02-2008, 01:17 PM

my DH is the same way often. We have a bunch of books I wanna get rid of. I am perfectly happy with putting them on freecycle or something and he wants to try and sell them on e-bay. Sure fine some may go but I am about to have baby #3 and we are moving in about 2 months. I have to declutter, pack, and take care of 2 kids and a nb. When do I have time to list things on e-bay or go to the post office? Wait I don't LOL! So I think I will freecycle my stuff and he can try and e-bay his books if he wants to but he is getting a deadline. They are gone by X date no matter what. You sell them of I get rid of them. Your pick. However if something is really worth it I will try and sell it. This summer we made over $700 on e-bay selling some stuff. That was totally worth the time. But for things that will only sell for $1 here and $3 there to me it is not always worth the hassle.
#3 of 34 Old 01-02-2008, 01:29 PM

With regards to ebay, all the time that you could spend setting up auctions, watching the bids, packaging stuff, schlepping to the post office, leaving feedback, following up with customers, etc. really adds up.

Even if you were able to make $200 by selling a bunch of things; what kind of time investment would be reasonable to you? Selling your stuff gets time consuming, and should be thought of as a "job". If you average (for example) $10 an hour to sell your stuff, think about whether that's worth it.

Would you take a part-time job for $10 an hour?
Is it worth spending that much more time NOT doing other things that need to get done?

I used to sell small stuff on ebay; like clothes, CD, jewelry. But once I realized that I was only "earning" less than $5 an hour (considering the time it takes to take pictures, make sure things are clean, package things, etc.) I decided my time was more valuable than that. Now I just donate everything without a second thought.
#4 of 34 Old 01-02-2008, 02:04 PM

I totally agree that it is not worth your time to sell small stuff. Also I like the idea of blessing someone else with it. I either donate to charity or (for bigger items) list them free on Craig's list. Last summer we overbought paint for the exterior of our house ~ by a lot! I probably could have easily sold it, but it was a great feeling to give it to a family who really needed it. As far as needing the money, I subscribe to the idea that by giving things away you will be blessed later when you need something. (call it Karma???)
#5 of 34 Old 01-02-2008, 02:05 PM

I am having this same problem. I have a few CDs that are too small and still in excellent shape, and a bunch of clothes from European boutiques (sent by SIL) that probably cost a FORTUNE and are so cute... but they sit in boxes and sit in boxes and sit in boxes... sigh. We really could use the $$.
#6 of 34 Old 01-02-2008, 02:08 PM

There are some stores that sell on ebay for you for a fee. Maybe one is near you?

hh2.gif

#7 of 34 Old 01-02-2008, 02:09 PM

I saved so much junk saying I was going to have a garage sale...then I had a garage sale and didn't sell a darn thing. The time and effort that went into washing everything, marking it all, sitting out in the 100* heat at the sale...seperating it all into sizes, the $$ spent advertising the sale, it was just not worth it so now I just take it over and dump it on my AIL for her DS and tell her whatever she doesn't want she can throw away or give to Goodwill. She's happy to have the clothes and takes what she doesn't need/want to her friend and her friend takes what she doesnt want/need to her sister and eventually some of it makes it's way to Goodwill

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#8 of 34 Old 01-02-2008, 02:10 PM

Can you take it to a place that auctions is for you? There are several businesses like that near me. You'll make less because they take a cut but you will make something.
#9 of 34 Old 01-02-2008, 02:21 PM

We have the same problem. We're donating EVERYTHING. It physically hurts us (because we remember shelling out the $ ), but it's what's best.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#10 of 34 Old 01-02-2008, 02:41 PM

I keep some things around to sell if they'll get me more than 10.00 on Craigslist. I don't really do eBay . . . too much of a pain to ship stuff. If it doesn't sell on Craigslist, I donate it on Freecycle or Goodwill. I do sell the kids' clothes at consignment (some of the better brands).

DH has mentioned that we could sell even more, and I think it pains him to see things go that we spent money on. I told him he was welcome to do all the selling and that ended that . . . he didn't feel strongly enough about it to sell.

Overall, I'm more inclined to give things away to people who need/can use them. DH jokes that someday he'll come home and the furniture will be gone .
#11 of 34 Old 01-02-2008, 02:44 PM

I have started just donating the stuff to a local food pantry our church supports. I tried taking bins of clothes to the resale shops and would drag all the stuff in, wait or come back and then get maybe $5 for some of it. Just wasn't worth the hassle. So I give some stuff to neighbors that I know could use it and the rest goes to the food pantry.
#12 of 34 Old 01-02-2008, 03:48 PM

I'd ask my usual questions:

- How much are you paying monthly per square foot in your house? How much of that square footage are you not-using because of extra stuff?
- Do you pay more than you absolutely have to when you stay in a hotel? Isn't that for a nicer experience? Isn't a nicer experience every day in your home worth more?
- How many times have you found that something has been dinged or damaged because of crowded storage?
- How many times have you had to repurchase something that you couldn't find?
- If you had spare time, could you save money other ways - cooking more rather than eating out, clipping coupons, watching sales?
- As someone else said, what's the minimum hourly wage that you'd accept if you were to take another job? Is selling the stuff going to produce at least that wage?

Crayfish
#13 of 34 Old 01-02-2008, 04:03 PM

I also have this problem

My compromise is that I will make a small effort to list things of the most value on craigslist (or other place). Or if they are 'valuable' but take up little space I'm ok with holding onto them for a little while, while I purge other bulky non valuable items (for example, jewelry). BUT I am giving myself a time limit for selling things. Once I decide it is going, I give X amount of time and if I haven't done it, it is going to get freecycled or donated.

I am sort of new to the decluttering thing and will never be spartan, so I realize this won't work for everyone. For now this compromise works for me, because I think as long as I am consistently getting SOME junk and excess out of the house, I'm doing ok. If that process halts because of holding things in hopes of selling, then I'll get more ruthless. For now I have plenty of junk to keep the flow going out

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#14 of 34 Old 01-02-2008, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I've kind of had that mindset since I was really young, and a friend of mine who is a doc. said why he hired someone to do XY and Z and W as well.. when it would be easy to do it himself. His time is precious to him, and he'd rather spend it with his kids than mowing the lawn. It "costs" less to him. My husband has absolutely no concept of the cost of time yet, which is funny because he has NO time, and frequently wastes it and is upset afterward... maybe it's time for a talk
#15 of 34 Old 01-02-2008, 06:17 PM

I am really struggling with this too as I am currently clearing out a LOT of stuff. On its own, most of it isn't worth all that much, but add up $2 and $6 and $9 and eventually it's worth something. However, the sorting and cleaning and advertising and whatnot is sucking the life out of me so I've lately been asking myself if we actually NEED the money or just WANT the money IYKWIM? I mean, yes of course we all need money and can do something with even just a little bit extra, but in our particular situation, we are on a good income, not penny-pinching as such ATM and whilst I could certainly put stuff away for a rainy day, we are fortunate that our current situation doesn't require living on rice and beans. So I have been looking at a pile of things that would probably bring in about $300 and asking myself how important that money really is to me. Is it worth the stress of looking at this stuff for another month until I can manage to sell it all off? Maybe the immediate satisfaction of having it all gone and no longer carrying that burden is worth $300. I'd spend that on a beautiful piece of art, or a piece of furniture we really needed, so maybe I should just look at it as peace of mind and a nice chunk of empty space / tranquility in our home costs $300, you know?
#16 of 34 Old 01-02-2008, 06:25 PM

I find that although I could use the money selling things, just giving it away has paid me back in spades. First of all, you get the tax write off. Secondly, you make great karma. I find the most wonderful things at my St. Vinnie's and I know it's because I've donated some really nice things to them. And, I just learned that of all the thrift charities, St. Vinnie's gives the most back to the community -- 90% of what they bring in goes back out. So I feel good about supporting that kind of institution. Plus, it's so easy just to drop the stuff off and let them deal with it.

All of that to me adds up to far more value in my life and my family's life than the money I could make selling the stuff.

FWIW ...

Good luck!
#17 of 34 Old 01-02-2008, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I totally get this too!! What I so with adult clothes is at least take them to a resale shop. If I make a few bucks great!, if not they donate it at the end of the season. The main goal is it is out of the house. With kids clothes I started a seasonal consginment sale in the town I live in, so do I hold on to these things. They get a run through my sale, then off to the resale shop. Again out of the house.

good luck!
#18 of 34 Old 01-02-2008, 06:44 PM

Give him a week. Tell him he has to be the one to list everything.

You'll be surprised how quickly it ends up in the donate pile

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#19 of 34 Old 01-02-2008, 06:55 PM

I think the same thing sometimes. It makes me sick when I think about how much we paid for stuff, only not not use it/ grown out of it (kids)/ whatever.

But then, why keep it if we're not using it and someone else could? Ya, know?

I do take some of the kids' clothing to a consignment shop. Everything else goes to Goodwill. I've tried eBay, but between my time and effort setting up the auction, taking pictures, packaging it up, getting to the post office....it's just not worth it to make $2. Then eBay takes their stinking fees, and PayPal too. And I end up with less than a buck, for lots of my time.

I'd rather bag it up and give it to Goodwill and spend all that extra time playing with my kids.
#20 of 34 Old 01-02-2008, 09:08 PM

Ebay isn't worth the trouble unless you expect to make a chunk of money, like for baby gear or a lot of something. Actually, my husband sold almost all of his CDs and DVDs in lots and even some VHS collector sets recently on Ebay.

I saw your other thread about all of the new/good condition clothes. I would definitely try a consignment store for those. Some don't even ask you to put them on hangers. Whatever they won't take, give away.

The deadline idea is smart.
#21 of 34 Old 01-02-2008, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My attitude is that I would love to donate money to charity, but I don't have any spare cash right now. But I CAN help others with outgrown toys, clothes, etc. So this is my "charity budget"- the stuff I would otherwise have been able to sell that I donate instead.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#22 of 34 Old 01-02-2008, 09:43 PM

My DH keeps reminding me of the time it takes to sell stuff- whether it's on ebay, CL, or whatever. Usually, it's just not worth the time it takes. If I have a higher dollar item, it's worth it, but mostly, it's a better use of my time to donate stuff. Last year I did finance my English Mastiff puppy by selling a TON of stuff- but mostly my "hobby" stuff (diaper bags and strollers, spendy cloth diapers, etc)- stuff that was worth selling.

If you're trying to get a major decluttering project accomplished, taking time out to sell can majorly stall your timeline, and make you lose a lot of momentum.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#23 of 34 Old 01-03-2008, 12:38 AM

So, I decided that I wasn't playing this game anymore (after literally accumulating half a basement full of "sell-worthy" stuff). If dh wants to sell it, he has to do it immediately and take it out of the house. And then the profits go to charity. We keep nothing. This rule has helped us a lot b/c he is now willing to let the Goodwill sell most stuff. Occasionally we have something (like his Granmda's old table & chair set or the co-sleeper) that we can sell for significantly more on our own and we'll do that. But the charity rule still sticks, so it's really all about letting go regardless of how it's let go!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#24 of 34 Old 01-03-2008, 02:48 AM

This is my problem and I am so thankful for this thread. Just so I won't have a knot in my stomach I am going to give myself a time limit.......craigslist it.......or it goes/donate it. It really helps my desision of sclepping it to the post office (multiple times for multipe items) now that gas just hit $100 A BARRELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really like the idea of just giving it to somene who needs it. I know it's been said, but it's hard to carry all that clutter weight around.

I'm gonna do it. We should keep each other posted.

Thanks for the thread.
#25 of 34 Old 01-03-2008, 02:50 AM

Oh, and I could NEVER do Ebay...pictures, listing fees, taking it to the post office with 2 kids, loading 2 kids into the freezing cold van, schelping all the way across town, unloading 2 kids into the freezing cold, try to force James to walk faster than paint dries (freezing the whole time), stand in line, deal with the RUDE postal people, back out into the freezing cold out of coats, into car seats. : SOOO not worth it. I'd have to make like $10 a shirt for that to even be worth it to me.

So I wait till DH gets home, force him to load whatever I collected into the back of the van...leave the kiddos with him, drive the 3 blocks to the Goodwill, unload it...and go. Easy peasy. Or else I make DH load it at night and take it by helping hands (the free store for low income families, food pantry) on his way home.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#26 of 34 Old 01-03-2008, 05:05 PM

After someone here at MDC recommended TurboTax's Its Deductible I found I will benefit more economically by donating to charity than actually taking the time and energy to sell them. No to mention the good feeling of giving to those who need the items more than I do. Yesterday I donated a large box of baby clothes and a ton of toys to one of our local foster care agencies. These were things I was saving to sell because it was hard to let go but in the end I feel so much better now!

SJ
#27 of 34 Old 01-03-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
My attitude is that I would love to donate money to charity, but I don't have any spare cash right now. But I CAN help others with outgrown toys, clothes, etc. So this is my "charity budget"- the stuff I would otherwise have been able to sell that I donate instead.
Oh I love this idea as money is very tight for us right now.

I've decided to freecycle most of my items. I have a pile of items to add to the items in the garage for a garage sale this spring with the goal that whatever does not sell gets donated somewhere.

I take most clothes to a consignment place in town which allows us to either get the cash or take store credit and with 3 kids growing 1.5inches every 3mths this is where we get their clothes from anyways.
#28 of 34 Old 01-03-2008, 06:10 PM

There is more value to me in the good karma of giving useful items to people would can use them than trying to sell them for the most part. I will craigslist some bigger things, with a time limit, most things go to freecycle or Goodwill right off the bat. Time is too precious, as some OP have mentioned. I mean, I could use the extra money, but I need the grace and blessings I invite with practising charity.

Jenny, earth.gif flowersforyou.gif   treehugger.gif gd.gif coolshine.giffamilybed2.gifdust.gif
#29 of 34 Old 01-04-2008, 02:02 AM

This thread is just what I needed to help me part with some of the stuff I've been keeping around here to "sell" I just need to pay it forward...I love the feeling I get when I am able to do it...I just seem to have a harder time with it when it's my "stuff"?!?!?

Thanks!
#30 of 34 Old 01-04-2008, 02:14 AM

I'm with Ruthla- I used to think I'd sell things, but I'd rather just pass them on to someone who needs them. It's very rewarding to both me as the giver and the receiver who otherwise couldn't have afforded things they needed.

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page