Tell me about your play rooms/toy storage! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-06-2008, 02:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am subbin' b/c I'm always looking for good ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2008, 12:00 PM

Toy storage in the playroom

Games and trains

art supplies

kids' room

books and puzzles

dd's stuff

built in with LEGO structures and building toys in bins

basement play area

I'm constantly trying to de-clutter the kids' room . . . they have so much (all of the non-baby friendly toys have to be up there instead of in the playroom). They also have a small storage area that we're in the process of making into a hideaway for them.

I plan on buying one of these for the gated off Playmobil area. Then the kids can have their LEGOs, KNEX, and other building things (no more than what can fit in the bins) in the fabric cubes that go with them. It's low enough that the zoo can sit on the top. They go on sale for 39.99 from time to time around here. It will go under the big windows in the playroom.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess A View Post
Toy storage in the playroom

Games and trains

art supplies

kids' room

books and puzzles

dd's stuff

built in with LEGO structures and building toys in bins

basement play area

I'm constantly trying to de-clutter the kids' room . . . they have so much (all of the non-baby friendly toys have to be up there instead of in the playroom). They also have a small storage area that we're in the process of making into a hideaway for them.

I plan on buying one of these for the gated off Playmobil area. Then the kids can have their LEGOs, KNEX, and other building things (no more than what can fit in the bins) in the fabric cubes that go with them. It's low enough that the zoo can sit on the top. They go on sale for 39.99 from time to time around here. It will go under the big windows in the playroom.
You are inspiring me to get more organized around here! My boys love Legos, the tiny, tiny ones. Even the 3 year old loves to play with them (although he can't build with them yet, really). They are everywhere. I used to have a Target 3-tiered thing, but it broke and then I didn't replace it. We have a metal bin with tons of Legos in it, but I need to come up with something that can organize these small parts in a way that my older son can SEE everything and know what Legos make what kind of thing (spacehip pieces in one, submarine pieces in another, you get the idea). Right now we have the sets separated in Ziplocs, but that doesn't always work, either. :
Old 01-06-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
We have a metal bin with tons of Legos in it, but I need to come up with something that can organize these small parts in a way that my older son can SEE everything and know what Legos make what kind of thing (spacehip pieces in one, submarine pieces in another, you get the idea). Right now we have the sets separated in Ziplocs, but that doesn't always work, either.
My son likes to keep the kits together, so we keep those in gallon sized baggies with the instructions.

The rest are all thrown into a bin and dumped out when they want to play with them. We don't have specific pieces, though, just a bunch of bricks in all shapes and sizes.

I've read of some people using under the bed bins . . . they are long and narrow and the LEGO pieces can spread out a lot making everything visible. You can also keep structures you're building in the bins and shove the whole thing under the bed out of the way when you need to clean up (if your structure is not too big).

My kids LOVE building toys, so we have a lot of them. I can't wait until the baby is past the mouthing stage so we can bring them all back on the main level (I must admit I love building things, too).
Old 01-06-2008, 05:18 PM

Jess-Yep, we've been keeping the smaller Legos that are sets in gallon ziplocs, too (with the instructions). My son actually likes to keep the boxes for a while, too. Until we have to throw them out b/c they're taking up too much space. We also have two of those under the bed flat and low storage containers that you mention. They currently keep all the Playmobil stuff. Did I mention my son likes to build? A lot? I always want to encourage him to build, but keeping up with all these little pieces is slowly driving me batty.

User Tag List