What do you find it difficult to get rid of? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 01-08-2008, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg_s View Post
ok laughing at this one! I just did a major wardrobe purge and couldn't throw out the old black strappy nightie that I wore for both births/labours.
me neither!! But I've only worn my labor nightie a couple of times since.

My biggies right now are shoes (I probably have over 20 pairs!... and I don't consider myself a "shoe" person) and things that might fit me in the future. I am pretty ruthless with everything else. i guess it's a good thing my dh questions some of the things I get rid of because I want only to keep the essentials. He's a bit more practical than that and has saved me from getting rid of things I actually ended up using.

Fabric is also a biggie but I don't have too much of it. I don't know what to do with the scraps once I'm done with a project though.

And I still have my wedding dress too I just can't afford to have it dry cleaned so I can sell it. I'd like to keep my veil and wedding tiara though andthey don't take up much space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 36 Old 01-08-2008, 08:33 PM

Definitely the kids' books. For some reason, I just can't bring myself to get rid of any of their books, in spite of the fact their bookcase is FULL and some of them are falling apart. But, in my defense, they really do look at most, if not all of them, on a regular basis still.

I also have a whole bunch of clothes my mom made both kids that I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to part with (well, esp. now w/another one on the way). I think to myself, "OMG, I could sell these for a bundle online" but then I think "But they're so freakin' cute plus Mom made them." I think will be holding onto a quite a few of these ones to pass on to the kids when they have kids. If not, I have 2 nephews I can hand down DS's clothes mom made and hopefully I'll get another niece in the upcoming years to hand DD's stuff down to.

Most other stuff, I don't have a problem getting rid of. I'm not overly sentimental. DH is the one who has a hard time letting go of stuff but he totally gets that from the ILs (who STILL have the playpen from when he was a baby sitting in the corner in their garage among tons of other crap).

Mama to my 3 wild things.

#33 of 36 Old 01-09-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willemsmamma View Post
...Fabric is also a biggie but I don't have too much of it. I don't know what to do with the scraps once I'm done with a project though...
oooh I forgot about fabric. I have a ton, but everything has a plan so it's so hard to part with. I'm giving myself to the end of the summer (I don't work in the summer) & if I don't do something with it, it's getting donated.
#34 of 36 Old 01-09-2008, 11:02 AM

I find the little thigns we may need someday hard to get rid of. I have boxes and baskets of junk I can't bear to throw out for this reason.

Craft supplies. I have so often regretted getting rid of them that I hate to do it.

Books. Not my books!! They are taking over the house but I don't want to get rid of any!!

Toys. Even though I know the kids won't miss them, it's hard to get rid of them.
#35 of 36 Old 01-11-2008, 02:50 AM

Clothes - However, I have found that since I decided to allow myself a box labeled "Sentimental Clothing" that it has gotten a lot easier. I have a few fav things that I loved so much when they were in style and a few sentimental maternity things. To tell myself it is okay to keep a couple items has made it easier to get rid of the rest.

Toys - As much as I say I want to get rid of toys, it really pains me to do so when I look at something and remember how much they wanted it at one time or how much they used to play with it. Again, I have a few sentimental ones put away. Also, toys go into purgatory here in the attic waiting to be forgotten by me and the girls before moving on to their final resting place.

Art projects - Why oh why are kids such prolific artists?? And why is my dd's art teacher such a fan of making large 3D cardboard creations?? I've heard the "take a picture and trash" idea and the time limit one, but it is so hard to see something they were proud of go into the trash. Random coloring sheets or countless drawings of rainbows and sunshine are easier to put into the recycling bin, though. I try to only keep the true masterpieces.
#36 of 36 Old 01-11-2008, 02:58 AM

Books and clothes for me too. But I'm getting better.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page