Talk about the little things you did today (or recently) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 177 Old 01-12-2008, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday was one of those days where it felt like I got nothing done, but I was busy all day. Does that make sense? I probably spent too much time on the computer. So what I got done was:

kept up on dishes
organized coffee table mags/catalogs
sorted through/donated clothes
2 loads laundry

We had friends over in the morning, so I guess that would explain why I felt like I didn't get much done. Oh well, today is another day.

Jill
#62 of 177 Old 01-12-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamavegan View Post
I've put away the laundry, dishes, and taken out the trash. I cleaned out my 'mailbox' (a container that I keep my stamps, blank cards, address labels, address book, pens, etc in.) I sorted some catalogs to be looked through and emailed one (so far) to get my name off of their mailing list.
I'm still trying to get out of a mountain of laundry to put away. I'm so bad about pulling it out of drying, stuffing it into the basket and then leaving it sit. I started folding it as I take it out of the dryer, thinking that I would be more apt to put it away. Now it sits folded in a basket. I guess its not getting wrinkled.

I also need to email a bunch of catalog companies to get off of their mailing lists. Thanks for the idea.

Jill
#63 of 177 Old 01-12-2008, 01:10 PM

Today I filled one trash bag with stuff and am taking it to Goodwill.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#64 of 177 Old 01-12-2008, 04:15 PM

Sorted the mail and tossed the trash.
I called and removed myself from catalogs that came in today.
I returned my Bumbo and tray that had been recalled.
I returned a new showerhead that dh never installed.

I think that I will tackle the hall closet today. My Creative Memories stuff is in bags and boxes would be neater. I also have all my pictures from the last 20 years in albums. I need to pull the good ones and shred the rest. And that is my school supply closet. Surely, I have some supplies that need a new home as I really don't ever get anything out of the closet.
#65 of 177 Old 01-12-2008, 06:28 PM

: THE RUG HAS BEEN FOUND!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j6...wings/rug2.jpg

Now I can do yoga again in the morning!

Oh and DH took 2 bags to be donated

and

I have a lot of videos and books I am getting ready to TP!
#66 of 177 Old 01-12-2008, 06:36 PM

elcome lovely carpet ! LOL
#67 of 177 Old 01-12-2008, 07:33 PM

I am new to this subforum, but wanted to share an instant karma validation I got today for tackling some chores today while DS and DH are out walking in the woods.

After sorting some items into trash, freecycle and children's consignment piles,

and making beds, washing bed linens, picking up dirty clothes,

and putting away all the wooden train tracks and assorted toys,

(making it possible to do the) vacuuming,

and putting DS's clean clothes (from 2 days ago) away, I FOUND...

a $50 Macy's giftcard and DS's SS card in a backpack I used for a diaper bag last summer - both long given up as irretrievably lost.

Yippee!

Oh, and DH did the dishes before they went out, so we are ahead of the game compared to our usual end-of-the-week squalor.

Jenny, earth.gif flowersforyou.gif   treehugger.gif gd.gif coolshine.giffamilybed2.gifdust.gif
#68 of 177 Old 01-12-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmary View Post
I am new to this subforum, but wanted to share an instant karma validation I got today for tackling some chores today while DS and DH are out walking in the woods.

After sorting some items into trash, freecycle and children's consignment piles,

a $50 Macy's giftcard and DS's SS card in a backpack I used for a diaper bag last summer - both long given up as irretrievably lost.

Yippee!

Oh, and DH did the dishes before they went out, so we are ahead of the game compared to our usual end-of-the-week squalor.

A $50 gift card now that is a score! And I was excited about finding my new Burts Bee's lip balm under of the pile of clothes on the carpet.
#69 of 177 Old 01-12-2008, 08:03 PM

My husband took the broken electronics to the computer recycling place! They have been in the closet for months and months! I am very excited. I also donated our giant fake Christmas tree to the church rummage sale, so I could actually store something in the our basement storage locker (we live in an apartment).
#70 of 177 Old 01-12-2008, 11:50 PM

I went nuts today! I couldn't get anything done with the kids today, so I went with it and made a mess as well. Whatever room they were in, I scanned and mercilessly took stuff down, out, or whatever and just set it on the floor to put in the thrift store box. I am generally in the habit of perpetually minimizing, but our space is tight and sometimes I am not ruthless enough, and stuff just seems to float into our home. It seems every drawer, space, closet periodically needs to be organized and cleared out. I usually do a litle here and a little there, but I did a lot today and just want to finish. Sometimes I can't et anythign done with a baby strapped to me and kids making messes, but this apparently I can!

Now I have the hard work of clearing it out, and I came on over to see some pics of decluttered spaces to inspire me. I'd like to keep some of it around- simple vases and what not- but simply don't have the room! out they go! yay! I know I won't miss them.
Okay now I have more work to do...yuk.
#71 of 177 Old 01-13-2008, 12:33 AM

Today was just awful. We had a horrible day with a now-former foster dog, and my allergies are off-the-charts bad. Which is horrible, because I had counted on using today to get a lot done on the house. Bah. All I did was take before pictures.

My need to clean/reorganize/redecorate is on a schedule, too, as my mother-not-in-law is coming to visit next weekend!
#72 of 177 Old 01-13-2008, 12:56 AM

Today was a good day.

Finally went to a drop off center for our donated stuff and mailed some stuff we had sold on ebay.
It was a nice family day with a visit to the library and an evening of reading.
I also had time to finish an art piece I have been working on!
I did all my choirs for the day (motivated moms) and am feeling happy
#73 of 177 Old 01-13-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengingophelia View Post
Today was just awful. We had a horrible day with a now-former foster dog, and my allergies are off-the-charts bad. Which is horrible, because I had counted on using today to get a lot done on the house. Bah. All I did was take before pictures.

My need to clean/reorganize/redecorate is on a schedule, too, as my mother-not-in-law is coming to visit next weekend!
I Love your house. It is beautiful.
#74 of 177 Old 01-13-2008, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decluttering Nut View Post
elcome lovely carpet ! LOL
And welcome to you Decluttering nut!
#75 of 177 Old 01-13-2008, 01:48 AM

This week I decluttered and organized my sons room.
I gave away one bag of books. I decluttered 2 bags of clothes right out of the washed laundry that was being folded. I got rid of one bag of plastic kids dishes. I threw away my broken coffee pot.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#76 of 177 Old 01-13-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengingophelia View Post
I do love your colors and your concrete floors. Your red chairs rock too. A little decluttering action and your place will be awesome!! Good luck!!
#77 of 177 Old 01-13-2008, 03:33 PM

Yesterday, I:
cleaned out my closet (yet again), in part to swap out the little MDF dresser in there with a bigger, wood one I got at Vinnie's yesterday morning.
cleaned out and organized the linen closet in the hall which includes all towels and upstairs cleaning supplies and extra toiletries. Managed to throw some stuff out.
cleaned out my dresser drawers, tossing a small bag of things
cleaned out DSs and DDs drawers and culled clothes.

Today I:
made up the bed in the guest room and put the extra bedding away that was thrown haphazardly on the bed
folded and put away a load of laundry
made my bed (which I try to do every day)
made veggie chili in the crock pot for "soup sunday" at my aunt's tonight

Now if I could just get out of my PJs, it'd be a rockin' weekend!!
#78 of 177 Old 01-13-2008, 06:49 PM

Today I spent the morning writing my book.

Then I spent the rest of the day with friends.

DH is making Focaccia and spinach for dinner.

Then a bubble bath....then reading and bed.

I LOVE Sunday!

I did notice that DH put all the kid's toys in a big wicker basket so tomorrow I will be going through that and getting rid of stuff. It is so much easier when it is all in one place.
#79 of 177 Old 01-13-2008, 08:02 PM

Thanks for the nice words about my house. I really love it too, and I love the stuff we've done to it (like the red chairs and the colors on the walls). It just needs some TLC. We went to Ikea today and bought a few much-needed additions, so hopefully we'll have after pictures by the end of the week.
#80 of 177 Old 01-13-2008, 08:24 PM

I had a really productive day. I'm 39 weeks pg today and I don't know where this burst of energy came from, but I'm just going with it
I did 4 loads of laundry and put it all away (that's the hardest part for me.. it's so tedious!), cleaned the whole living room and vacuumed, helped the kids clean up their playroom so it's all nice and organized now.. and I'm working on their bedroom which is almost finished.
The kitchen floor needs to be scrubbed, but I'm going to leave that for DH. I think I did enough today

On my to-do list:
Clean my bedroom (needs to be done ASAP before our homebirth!)
Scrub bathtub and give whole bathroom a wipe-down
Wash the rest of the baby clothes/carseat cover/boppy and covers- and put them all away

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#81 of 177 Old 01-13-2008, 08:40 PM

I try and try to keep my small house organized but, my goodness it is so hard to stay on top of it all. I finally ordered a wall mail organizer after thinking about it for almost a year. I don't know why I am so lazy(& cheap) about this stuff because having a kitchen table free of piles of mail and keys is so nice. I'm kicking myself for not just doing it earlier. I also organized our junk drawer in our kithchen...

I hope this motivation sticks around for a while!

Button 08-12-09 

Baby Vi 05-18-11

#82 of 177 Old 01-13-2008, 09:07 PM

I worked on three hotspots in my kitchen (top of microwave, beside the fridge and the magazines on my kitchen table. I cleared the microwave but left the fruit basket, cleared the table, and all that is left from beside the fridge is a small pile of papers/magazines for dh to deal with. I recycled about half of his pile, but he won't notice.
I also took the elements and rings off my stovetop and scoured the grime off, then replaced the tin foil. It so nice to have a clean, fresh stove. Dh took ds1 to a movie and ds2 was playing in the playroom so I scrubbed the kitchen floor (finally!) and the cabinets. I love having a clean kitchen. The rest of my house isn't too bad, but I do have a few things to go through in the laundry room. I should be able to come up with 2 boxes of items to donate and sell.
#83 of 177 Old 01-13-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollineeba View Post
I had a really productive day. I'm 39 weeks pg today and I don't know where this burst of energy came from, but I'm just going with it
I did 4 loads of laundry and put it all away (that's the hardest part for me.. it's so tedious!), cleaned the whole living room and vacuumed, helped the kids clean up their playroom so it's all nice and organized now.. and I'm working on their bedroom which is almost finished.
The kitchen floor needs to be scrubbed, but I'm going to leave that for DH. I think I did enough today

On my to-do list:
Clean my bedroom (needs to be done ASAP before our homebirth!)
Scrub bathtub and give whole bathroom a wipe-down
Wash the rest of the baby clothes/carseat cover/boppy and covers- and put them all away
Hummmmmmm are you nesting?

I just got a message saying my post MUST be 50 characters long. I hope this is just a mess up.
#84 of 177 Old 01-14-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming View Post
: THE RUG HAS BEEN FOUND!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j6...wings/rug2.jpg

Now I can do yoga again in the morning!

Oh and DH took 2 bags to be donated

and

I have a lot of videos and books I am getting ready to TP!
CONGRATS!!

A beautiful rug to show off, imo. I try to do my yoga every morning and each night. Lately it's been afternoon only, but I'm working on getting into the routine.

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#85 of 177 Old 01-14-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamavegan View Post
CONGRATS!!

A beautiful rug to show off, imo. I try to do my yoga every morning and each night. Lately it's been afternoon only, but I'm working on getting into the routine.
Thanks for the motivation. I needed someone to hold me to it. The problem with that spot is the rug is right outside the laundry closet so it becomes the place where we dump the clean clothes.

Today I filled a large box with stuff to be donated.

Cleared off 2 surfaces.

And began a third.

Now I am hoping I can go get a load of laundry in the dryer and another folded and put away. We will see.
#86 of 177 Old 01-14-2008, 07:38 PM

Today I washed a mountain of dishes, folded and put away a mountain of laundry, and finally mailed off a coat I'd been holding on to.
I decluttered a bunch of glasses as I did the dishes, we use glass jars as our glasses and we had just accumulated too many! Perhaps dh and I will be able to stick more to using one or two cups a day instead of the crazy amount we were before; we just dont need that many! Which means, less dishes to wash next time; Yay!!
Also tossed a couple torn clothes while folding laundry.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#87 of 177 Old 01-14-2008, 07:50 PM

I made up a menu + a shopping list for the next few months. We buy too much food, and it's cluttery - so now we'll only buy what's on the list.

Did a little laundry - need to do more, but it's a start. My dh got rid of bunches of empty boxes from the living room.

I need to go to safeway today for things on the list.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#88 of 177 Old 01-15-2008, 01:16 AM

great thread!

following some winter blues and feeling paralyzed to deal with all of the STUFF, i've begun to chip away at things, and everything i accomplish feeds me with new energy.

today i sorted out our major collection, the playmobil. i am superwoman. i have sorted it into bigger categories, like 'farm' 'fairytale/castle' 'store' 'emergency' and 'school/playground' which for the moment are living in bags. then i've got the 'bitty box' for the million tiny bits, 'creature' boxes, and one large basket with plantlife and a few larger pieces. i've rotated out (can you believe there was anything left to rotate out?!!) the station, train tracks, and anything spring/summery like the pool and greenhouse, a couple of buildings, so i can rotate again in a few months. i have some ikea wooden boxes to build, little pull-out box drawers, so when i've assembled them i can label accordingly.

finally i have decided to let go of all kinds of (sweet, wooden) toys that just don't get used around here, even though we have a two year old, she wants to play with the big child toys. so, i'm lending them out or giving them away, and so we have just a bit more room to move.

next up, art supplies, books, and dress-up.

#89 of 177 Old 01-15-2008, 01:21 AM

We bought a new fridge and it's being delivered tomorrow. So tonight I pulled out the old one, moved it aside and cleaned the floor/wall where the fridge was. : I should have done it ages ago.

Note to self: clean behind the stove.
#90 of 177 Old 01-15-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmary View Post

Yippee!

My advice is to use the gift card QUICKLY - I had one from my bridal shower in 2004 and went to use it in 2005 or so - AND THEY WOULDN'T HONOR IT ANYMORE!! Lots of stores are having their gift cards expire - a few dollars a month for some of them!

So I'd either try to use it or call and see WHEN it will expire - cuz ya might lose it.

Sorry my first post is kind of a bummer

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page