Talk about the little things you did today (or recently) - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 177 Old 01-15-2008, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsew View Post
My advice is to use the gift card QUICKLY - I had one from my bridal shower in 2004 and went to use it in 2005 or so - AND THEY WOULDN'T HONOR IT ANYMORE!! Lots of stores are having their gift cards expire - a few dollars a month for some of them!

So I'd either try to use it or call and see WHEN it will expire - cuz ya might lose it.

Sorry my first post is kind of a bummer
Maybe, but it's very good and useful advice!

Welcome!
#92 of 177 Old 01-15-2008, 11:40 AM

Well, I haven't gotten much farther with cleaning and organizing (though I did take all of the empty boxes and trash out of the office, and list a bunch of stuff to swap, so that's something), but we bought two new rugs, new guest bedding, and a new light fixture this weekend, and having them all in the house improves things so much, I can't even tell you. As soon as I stop feeling so horrible (or as soon as I get panicked enough about my MNIL's visit), I'll be doing some serious cleaning and decluttering.
#93 of 177 Old 01-15-2008, 12:01 PM

I haven't accomplished much the last few days. I'm in a rut. I seem to be able to find all sorts of unimportant things to do, but not so interested in decluttering. I always feel better when I am doing what needs to be done. So why don't I do it? Good question.

Jill
#94 of 177 Old 01-16-2008, 02:36 AM

I was in a rut for a while, too. I think my main reason is that I needed more organization to create homes for the things I wanted to keep and, well, organize. I bought 2 baskets for toys and am looking for a few more containers to use in DS's closet for clothes and other things.

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#95 of 177 Old 01-16-2008, 03:22 AM

i scuffled about but not much got done...i did put away/purge/recycle a pile of stuff in my bedroom that came out of the car when i cleaned it out

i have laid out what i hope we'll need on the mountain in the morning!

#96 of 177 Old 01-16-2008, 03:42 AM

we reorganized our book shelves YAY
#97 of 177 Old 01-16-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaof6 View Post
I haven't accomplished much the last few days. I'm in a rut. I seem to be able to find all sorts of unimportant things to do, but not so interested in decluttering. I always feel better when I am doing what needs to be done. So why don't I do it? Good question.

Jill
Count me in on the rut club. I feel like crap today and don't know that I will be doing anything other then writing in my book and perhaps getting other computer stuff today. I'm pretty bed bound.

Perhaps I'll clean out my computer today. Getting rid of old blurry photos and such.
#98 of 177 Old 01-16-2008, 11:57 AM

Yesterday, I had the kids sort through one book shelf to see what they would like to sell to a used book store. They were thrilled at the chance to earn money somehow, and also saw what they've outgrown, and I was thrilled at the clearing out.

Crunchy check list:  2 homebirths (one accidental UC!), co-slept, no CIO, cloth diapers, home/un school, raw milk drinker (!) I am a walking cliche!! I even blog and knit...
#99 of 177 Old 01-16-2008, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I did an inventory of our freezer, hopefully we are moving soon so we need to use all the stuff up. Threw out 3 tubs of unidentified stuff
#100 of 177 Old 01-16-2008, 01:54 PM

i have been watching this thread for awhile ,and you all have finally motivated me! Last night, i cleaned my disaster area desk. We bought file holders, an envelope sorter, a paper shredder, and i went thru all the stuff on my desk and filed it all , put it in its home. The "family" notebook was out of control too, and i organized it also. I shredded so many personal docs i had been holding onto, and now our desk is beautiful. We will have an organized place for when school starts.

Todays goal: do the mountain of laundry that has accumulated and organize kids room- purging old toys no longer played with.

I feel so much calmer when my stuff is clean, clear, and organized.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#101 of 177 Old 01-16-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolansmummy View Post
i have been watching this thread for awhile ,and you all have finally motivated me! Last night, i cleaned my disaster area desk. We bought file holders, an envelope sorter, a paper shredder, and i went thru all the stuff on my desk and filed it all , put it in its home. The "family" notebook was out of control too, and i organized it also. I shredded so many personal docs i had been holding onto, and now our desk is beautiful. We will have an organized place for when school starts.

Todays goal: do the mountain of laundry that has accumulated and organize kids room- purging old toys no longer played with.

I feel so much calmer when my stuff is clean, clear, and organized.
Welcome Nolan's Mummy!

I too feel so much calmer when my stuff is clean, clear, and organized.

Oh an i love your sons name!
#102 of 177 Old 01-16-2008, 03:28 PM

Well we've decided to put our house up for sale so I have a lot of decluttering to do! Not because the house actually LOOKS cluttered, but just because there is a lot of stuff that I don't really want to have to move.

This morning I cleaned through my sons clothing and organized the linen closet and got 4 huge garbage bags of stuff to take to goodwill! Yay for a good start!

I also cleaned off the bulletin board in the kitchen, now to just set up a filing system so all of this paper has a home.

SAM, momma to 3 beautiful babies: Tristan (5), Gabriel (4) , & Brighton (2)

#103 of 177 Old 01-16-2008, 04:24 PM

I told my DH I would dearly love to have a semi truck pull up in my driveway for a month. I would empty my entire home into the truck. Then paint all the walls, replace so me flooring and clean etc... and then only put back into my home what I truly want,need and love and let the truck take everything else away.... doesn't that sound like a great idea!!!

DH is not on board with this one -- but I can dream

:
#104 of 177 Old 01-16-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decluttering Nut View Post
I told my DH I would dearly love to have a semi truck pull up in my driveway for a month. I would empty my entire home into the truck. Then paint all the walls, replace so me flooring and clean etc... and then only put back into my home what I truly want,need and love and let the truck take everything else away.... doesn't that sound like a great idea!!!

:
I LIKE your idea!

I've not done much today (I"m here at work- LOL), but my trunk and part of the back seat is FULL of stuff I'm taking to Goodwill on the way home today!

This month-
I got rid of a junk drawer. I had 2 junk drawers in my kitchen!! : needed to make room for the new cloth napkins I got at a thrift store.. We LOVE them!!

I also totally decluttered my bathroom linen closet, medicine cabinet and under the sink. Re-did the tupperware drawer, found room for my Kitchen Aid mixer in there, organzied under the kitchen sink. Totally clean-swept the laundry room/ closet...

I'm totally LOVING how fresh and clean being organized feels!

Next up- my bedroom closet, bedroom drawers, kitchen pantry, and then the kids rooms

Susan- Vegetarian Single Mom to 9 year old twins!!
#105 of 177 Old 01-16-2008, 05:01 PM

thank you... I have mentioned it to friends who look at me like I am from another planet ... I usually get the "You want to pack up everything but your not moving" ??? .. Yup that's what I want .. most likely never get it ... .oh well onward and upward!!

#106 of 177 Old 01-16-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decluttering Nut View Post

:
Dude, that would so rock! It would be like Freestyling your whole house. You know if you did that you'd only bring back like half of it, probably. What an awesome idea! You know, I wonder what rental on one or two of those PODS is for a month???
#107 of 177 Old 01-16-2008, 06:52 PM

Another vote for that's a great idea! Now I have two things to ask DH at dinner. Honey do you want to pack up the whole house and not move and I found out you have the ablity to breastfeed, would you like to do that if we have another? Oh how he loves MDC.

But really I love the truck idea.

As for what I did today, I did end up writing for 2 hours.

Then I filled one storage bin with children's books to keep and three garbage bags to donate. I organized what was left.

Then I went back to bed. This really is going to take me all year.
#108 of 177 Old 01-16-2008, 07:00 PM

Yes I think its a great idea - however - you need some nice strong Dudes to help you move everything out and also be willing to return in a month or 2 and put it back (or at least some of it)......

I think if your home was empty you would look at it totally differently -- and also doing without everything for a while makes you realize what you really can do without!

Good Luck on that one!

:
#109 of 177 Old 01-16-2008, 08:22 PM

One box ready to go to goodwill
Dishes unloaded and reloaded
recycling out
2 loads of laundry
Put together my indoor drying rack that's been sitting in the laundry room for 4 months. (yikes)
Baked cookies
And still found time to browse mdc and have morning coffee with the neighborhood ladies. All in a day's work.

Me:
#110 of 177 Old 01-18-2008, 01:52 PM

OhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoy

:

I'm so excited. I'm in the middle of dealing with the bane of my existence, my kitchen cabinets. I'm completely reorganizing the food and cookware. I so hope this makes life in the kitchen better, especially as I'm cooking so much more these days. Wish me luck. It's in the "it's worse before it's better" stage. Back to work!
#111 of 177 Old 01-18-2008, 02:40 PM

I did an overall tidying up. (Almost good enough to post pics to the "clean, clear space" thread!)

My mop is broken so I cleaned the floor on my hands and knees!!! I was questioning my sanity, but I really wanted it cleaned today. Once I got started, it wasn't so bad. Of course, it's a fairly small area so that helped.

I organized my pantry and found the source of weird smell. There was one rotten onion in a bag full of onions.
#112 of 177 Old 01-18-2008, 11:20 PM

mommyerin, now that you're doing the work, i HIGHLY recommend labeling the cabinet shelves, so that is stays that way. i did that after repeating the exercise so many times, and it has finally just stayed that way. other family members can see that this shelf is for tea, not for cans!! thank you!!

today i was : but i started by making my bed, emptying the dishwasher, making breakfast, bringing stuff in from the car (tons of bulk food!) and listening to my tall girl's violin playing for the morning.

i also made yogurt!

and gave away a vcr we never use anymore to a lovely mdc mama.

#113 of 177 Old 01-19-2008, 12:45 AM

since we finished out playroom and now have a place for everything I have fallen in love w/ our home! so everyday I pretty much do the same stuff
morning-
empty dishwasher
put load laundry in washer
make beds

later on its
load dishwasher
put away all laundry
toys all go away BEFORE bedtime
vacuum(every 2 days)

quick tidy & wipe down on counters so when we wake up it looks pretty

Shelly, Mom to Sophia 5 Nicholas 3 & 2 Angels
Its a GIRL! Alyssa Ann 6/29/10 7lbs 5 oz
#114 of 177 Old 01-19-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
mommyerin, now that you're doing the work, i HIGHLY recommend labeling the cabinet shelves, so that is stays that way. i did that after repeating the exercise so many times, and it has finally just stayed that way. other family members can see that this shelf is for tea, not for cans!! thank you!!
You know, that's a fab idea. I do that in the kids' rooms but why not the kitchen too?
#115 of 177 Old 01-19-2008, 01:01 PM

i've begun to label everywhere possible...but i try to label on the inside of drawers, the underside of shelves at the edge...i don't like to see the words eveywhere! i borrowed, then bought a labeler.

we've begun following a laundry tip from the 'advice' thread...so we're putting today's laundry load in the washer, folding yesterday's laundry load, putting away the folded stuff, and putting the wet stuff in the dryer...and leaving it for folding the next day. i like it!

#116 of 177 Old 01-19-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post

i've begun to label everywhere possible...but i try to label on the inside of drawers, the underside of shelves at the edge...i don't like to see the words eveywhere! i borrowed, then bought a labeler.

we've begun following a laundry tip from the 'advice' thread...so we're putting today's laundry load in the washer, folding yesterday's laundry load, putting away the folded stuff, and putting the wet stuff in the dryer...and leaving it for folding the next day. i like it!

I have to get this down. I think it is my next goal as my DS2 really needs me to got through his clothes and see what will fit from his big brother.

Can't say I did much of anything today, but DH brought 6 garbage bags and one box to donate and I feel good to have that out of the house!
#117 of 177 Old 01-19-2008, 03:59 PM

I am home alone today (M. is at a conference) and have a long list of things I'd like to accomplish, but it's slow going so far. To be fair, though, I did clean out the bathroom where my kittens are, post some clothes I need to get rid of on the a swap thread, and make some bath melts. I also have pound cake ingredients coming to room temp. Still, I need to do laundry, change the sheets, and go tackle the disaster in the office, and all I want to do is surf and drink coffee.
#118 of 177 Old 01-19-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengingophelia View Post
I am home alone today (M. is at a conference) and have a long list of things I'd like to accomplish, but it's slow going so far. To be fair, though, I did clean out the bathroom where my kittens are, post some clothes I need to get rid of on the a swap thread, and make some bath melts. I also have pound cake ingredients coming to room temp. Still, I need to do laundry, change the sheets, and go tackle the disaster in the office, and all I want to do is surf and drink coffee.
yummmm pound cake how I miss gluten. :

Enjoy!
#119 of 177 Old 01-19-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyErin View Post
You know, that's a fab idea. I do that in the kids' rooms but why not the kitchen too?

hello Mommy Erin .. I was wondering how you got all the images in your signature line .. everytime I try to set mine up it says I am only allowed one??
#120 of 177 Old 01-19-2008, 08:47 PM

Well, motivation returned after my second pot of coffee and I accomplished a ton today. Cleaned out most of the office (still some paper organizing to do), made two batches of pound cake (for swapping, sadly), did and am still doing laundry, cleaned up the kitchen...I feel much better about the day. With two more days left in the weekend, maybe I'll really accomplish something before I have to go back to work!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page