Talk about the little things you did today (or recently) - Page 6 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#151 of 177 Old 01-25-2008, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
good work mamas!

i cleaned the place up after it was torn apart yesterday, ran a load of laundry, put away the dried goods that were blocking the kitchen (and broke open! excellent!) with a dear friend's help. then i walked a dozen blocks to take my child to a class and the other to the playground. i love it when they've gotten a lot of exercise!

now if i had only thought of dinner earlier :

#152 of 177 Old 01-26-2008, 05:24 AM

I can't hardly believe it --- I actually got DH to sort through our books !!!

We got rid of 50% of them -- I filled 5 large garbage bags and 5 smaller bags -- all for donating!! He went out for an hour this evening and while he was gone I put every single book onto our kitchen table in stacks and we slowly (& I do mean slowly) went thru each and every book - while I gently coaxed him into parting with them!! ... Yahoo -:- I will sleep well tonight!!

Good Night Everyone
#153 of 177 Old 01-26-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyErin View Post
:

I know I shouldn't laugh at your misfortune but I can so see this happening at my house too! I hope he didn't make too much of a mess.
Oh its okay to laugh. If I didn't laugh I would cry.

I haven't been around much this week. I cleaned up the little ones room and it killed me. (I have Fibromyalgia) so I haven't really gotten much done.

DH did get rid of 3 bags of stuff at the local church.

I listed a Hanna Anderson suit on e-bay.

Ummmmmmmmm, really thats it.

You all are doing so well. I love seeing pictures of your clean spaces. I would post some of mine but really our house needs a ton of work.
#154 of 177 Old 01-26-2008, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So far today I have (please note the time ):

* picked up the boys room ( the dresser came yesterday!)
* put boys clothes in the dresser in the order they wanted
* went through the boys shoes and pulled out ones that don't fit
* went through summer shirts to sell (I have a seasonal consignment sale)
* fixed pancakes for breakfast
* did 2 loads of laundry
* sorted one of the kitchen pantry cabinets
* emptied the dishwasher and reloaded

Off to find more to do!! I'm telling you this pregnancy may be the one I get stuff done with...
#155 of 177 Old 01-26-2008, 06:52 PM

Adding to my list..

* rearranged the den
#156 of 177 Old 01-26-2008, 08:32 PM

lowered DS crib for nap time. Yesterday he pulled himself up to standing and we realized he could tumble out.
Removed everything from kitchen floor. Swept, scrubbed floor on hands and knees and rewaxed.
Took a nap with DS and DH

Me:
#157 of 177 Old 01-27-2008, 01:37 AM

great work!

i picked up a suitcase across town, folded + put away two loads of laundry, culled a basket-ful of clothing, and picked up most of the apartment (again!). cleaned the floors, made more yogurt, and washed a few windows. i put away bikes + jogger in the bike room, and took a box to be stored at my folks.

took a break to drool over delight's tiny flat

must help my pack for a business trip

#158 of 177 Old 01-27-2008, 02:05 PM

I'm back on the decluttering and organizing wagon.

Tuesday I got together all our manuals for various appliences, electronics, etc. I put them in a binder, each slipped into a page protector.

Friday I organized my undersink cabinet in the kitchen
I organized my linen closet, including sorting through the 3drawer container of hairbows, barrettes, and jewelry after my dds dumped it about 3 times last week and everything was mixed together (and made room on a higher shelf for it!)

Yesterday I went through all the clothes in my closet and pared them down by about a third. I tried on 75% of it (everything except things I had worn recently that had fit) and got rid of anything that was too small now that I have a mommy body, or that I just didn't like.

Today I went through my extra toys closet (I have a home daycare and like to rotate toys out). It looks SOO much better. Instead of plastic grocery bags of toys in and shut the door everything except the big Little People things are in tubs neatly stacked. I also moved all of DH's hanging clothes into my closet, so that maybe he'll actually wear them since they'll be accessible (The loveseat blocks the door to the toy/formerly DH's closet). Hoping to get him to go through those tonight.

Also, with my daycare, I'm on the USDA food program, which gives me a bit of extra money, but requires a lot of paperwork. Usually I am bad about keeping up with it and have to scramble atthe end of the month. This month I haven't gotten more than a meal or two behind the whole month!!

Now to decide what to do next. I think some general picking up is in order, since the girls have been trashing the house while I got the closet organized!

Mom to ds 10/12 and dd 2/05 ribbonrainbow.gif

Blogging about living with xeroderma pigmentosum at www.pacificnights.org/ and about life in general at http://livingavibrantlife.blogspot.com/
#159 of 177 Old 01-27-2008, 06:22 PM

dt, well done!

i went nuts in my bulging storage closet and i am SO happy! i can see the floor! i have a huge box of stuff to give away and stuff to recycle, which i'm about to put out, and i have some bags of things to give to friends and sell, (sitting in my shower ) and i know the times + places they will be heading off to, so i have a plan my partner brought his office home a few months ago, and i just sorted the last box, and he got a new job, so i've been able to toss a bunch of stuff from previous position. i have a few file boxes i think i might be able to think significantly next. and i have stored the toys i do want to keep in our house, which i have rotated out. i may have a home for our beautiful wooden dollhouse which sadly is too big for the space we have; someday we may have it back.

#160 of 177 Old 01-29-2008, 02:41 AM

today i folded + put away yesterday's laundry load and culled some stuff,
held my ill child most of the day,
set up organics delivery so that i can get rid of the car without worry,
scooped bulk barley flour into a large jar,
fixed a loom and
found a new extended health benefits plan.

i have big plans for decluttering the kitchen!

#161 of 177 Old 01-29-2008, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Last night, I put away ALL the miscellaneous piles and baskets of laundry. I filled two large bags with clothes to donate, one bag of ds' clothes to pass on to my nephew, and one large bag of trash! Finally being able to see the floor, I swept it.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#162 of 177 Old 01-29-2008, 01:55 PM

busy night!

at 11 pm i decided to clear out the plastic shelf after all, and reduced it by 90%!! now i just have what will fit in my freezer, all the same size so it fits together.

i've been decluttering for nearly 7 years, but i'm finally getting to a different place with it. i was thinking, this is useful, and kept it, and now i'm thinking, someone else can use it, and i don't need to keep 'more than enough'. just enough.

#163 of 177 Old 01-29-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtake View Post
Adding to my list..

* rearranged the den
Check it now!! Updated and added and rearranged!!
#164 of 177 Old 01-29-2008, 08:44 PM

After looking at Erin+BabyAndrew's house on another thread, I was so inspired to declutter even more. I love the serene esthetic of her home. So today, I tossed out some stuff to the trash and put a few more things in the Vinnie's pile.

One of the things I did is finally throw out two dying plants. Not only were they looking shabby and icky, they are bad Feng Shui. I also got rid of a few more articles of clothing. Going to attack DDs dresser tomorrow, yet again.

I need now to go home and get rid of a couple of lamps as I bought a pair at Vinnie's this morning.
#165 of 177 Old 01-29-2008, 09:49 PM

I cleaned out some of my dresser drawers.

I found some more jeans and pants for the ladies jeans swap in the TP. I took pictures and I am working on getting them uploaded tonight.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#166 of 177 Old 01-30-2008, 12:19 AM

I cleared out over 30 hangers from our closets that we just aren't using. I don't plan on buying more clothes without getting rid of some, so I'm donating all but a few empty hangers.

I bought a over the door shoe organizer to get all my shoes off of the closet floor. I also got two S hook type hangers for the entry way mini closet to hang the dog leash and my cloth bags on.

Right now, I'm trying to face my worst clutter hot spot, our kitchen 'snack bar.' Second worse is the kitchen table, but I've been doing pretty well with that one.

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#167 of 177 Old 01-30-2008, 01:38 AM

Our washer broke last month, and we're having a new laundry room put in starting next week. In the meantime, I've been hauling laundry to the laundromat. This is a pain, but it's actually inspired us to get organized with clothes, clothes storage, laundry, etc. Our bedroom used to be a mess, with several baskets of unfolded clean laundry, dirty laundry, plus more on the floor. It was miserable. Now, we've gotten into better habits; we actually fold up semi-used clothes to wear again, and we always fold all the laundry at the laundromat, to make it easier to put away. I cleaned out my dresser so now there's a place for every piece of clothing I own. And it's nice we're not wasting as much water, time, energy, etc. because we're wearing things more than once. I never thought losing the washer would be a blessing in disguise! But I'll be so happy to have it back!

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#168 of 177 Old 01-30-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicaG View Post
Our washer broke last month, and we're having a new laundry room put in starting next week. In the meantime, I've been hauling laundry to the laundromat. This is a pain, but it's actually inspired us to get organized with clothes, clothes storage, laundry, etc. Our bedroom used to be a mess, with several baskets of unfolded clean laundry, dirty laundry, plus more on the floor. It was miserable. Now, we've gotten into better habits; we actually fold up semi-used clothes to wear again, and we always fold all the laundry at the laundromat, to make it easier to put away. I cleaned out my dresser so now there's a place for every piece of clothing I own. And it's nice we're not wasting as much water, time, energy, etc. because we're wearing things more than once. I never thought losing the washer would be a blessing in disguise! But I'll be so happy to have it back!
I understand this as we are about to do the same thing.

DH has jumped on board! He always had his little toe in the water but now that he actually is feeling the draw to be in the less cluttered spaces he has joined me.

He offered to take who knows how many loads of laundry to the laundromat and just get it ALL done in one swoop. Then we can clean off the shelves in the room and sort the clothes to see what needs to go or be stored.

I'm glad he's going to help. I find de-cluttering to be emotionally draining.
Support is nice.

I currently have one box and one bag to go to donation.

I have also listed a couple things on the TP and and e-bay.

Today I hope to clean out the pillow case shelf. Yes I said shelf. We have a whole shelf full of pillow cases.

In my dream world I will also get another surface cleared.
#169 of 177 Old 01-30-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming View Post

Today I hope to clean out the pillow case shelf. Yes I said shelf. We have a whole shelf full of pillow cases.
As a bedding addict, I completely understand.
#170 of 177 Old 01-30-2008, 01:53 PM

What a great thread!

Here's what I just did. First I got the kids settled with some playdoh at the kitchen table, so I could be free for 20 minutes. Then I raced around and

1. picked up the towels from the bathroom and threw them in the wash with my dishrags

2. washed all the dishes in the sink and unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher

3. Wiped down all the kitchen counters

4. picked all the toys off of the family room floor

It's amazing what I can get done in 20 minutes when no one is pulling at my legs!
#171 of 177 Old 01-30-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyErin View Post
As a bedding addict, I completely understand.
This would be one of my hang-ups, its not even like I have really nice sheets and such. It is just that I feel like I can never have enough blankets and such.

I did get rid of a whole grocery plastic bags of pillowcases, they were either really old, really stiff, or really ugly. I still have half a shelf left but I did make room to store my bottles of Q-tips and such. Now my bathroom counter is clear other then a water fountain and a vase with 2 tulips.

A few more baby steps...........
#172 of 177 Old 01-30-2008, 06:51 PM

We're on our 3rd snowday here, so I'm going a little stir crazy. When the boys were napping, I sorted all the magazine articles I'd pulled the last few months, purged a few and put the rest all in the binders where they belong.

Then I pulled out all the valentines from previous years, purged a few and hung the rest on a string for my boys to enjoy. They were so excited when they got up to see all the valentines from loved ones the past few years. Not really a decluttering, but I did make them useful.

Now I hope to clean/declutter our bedroom floor when the boys are playing after dinner. Its gotten really bad and I keep avoiding it. Its time to face the music!
#173 of 177 Old 01-31-2008, 10:29 AM

wow,its been a busy week for me. I have been going one room at a time, startedin DD#3 bedroom and have been practicing being mindful of tidying before sleep(soofar so good for 5days now) In the mean time I have finished up DD#2, a loft space, & the fam room. This has taken me spurts of motivation thru out the past week. After organizing & decluttering my kids are playing w/ toys they haven't really seen for a bit due to my lack of finding the energy to deal w/ them properly. 7yo dd counted stuffed toys and reduced what we would have out for playing in 1/2. So in my long winded account of things...hearing about how all the small things are helping other mamas...has really made the small things add up to quite alot at my house. Thanks for the inspiration, I hope I can send some back out there::good vibes:
#174 of 177 Old 01-31-2008, 11:51 AM

Today I put 4 large bags of clothing in a clothing collection box! I was happy to see that the funds are donated to D.A.R.E.
#175 of 177 Old 01-31-2008, 08:56 PM

frozen 4 containers of chickpeas

moved furniture to accomodate new office equipment,

sold our car!

#176 of 177 Old 02-01-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
sold our car!
Cool!

I have a big bag of clothes, computer monitor, old laptop and non-working printer in my trunk to take to the dump for recycling after work today.
#177 of 177 Old 02-01-2008, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Had no idea this thread would be so popular, so I started a Febuary Edition here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...3#post10445373

Great job everyone.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page