Talk about the little things you did today (or recently) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 177 Old 01-07-2008, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DO&S is so inspiring. I keep reading about people doing massive organizing and decluttering, great job everyone. I thought I would start a thread where we all can post what little bit we did today (or recently), because even organizing a desk drawer is something feel great about.

Today I put all of the wrapping supplies away and I moved the dresser from the den into the bedroom. It isn't a lot but it is something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 177 Old 01-07-2008, 05:22 PM

I joined fly lady -- and today was laundry room day for me.... this room is right off the garage so everyone dumps stuff in there. It feels so good to have it clean.... we filled a whole large garbage bag of coats to donate .. and I cleaned out the cupboards that store cleaning and laundry supplies .... it took a couple of hours --then I took a break while roomba and scooba did the finishing touches for me ....... but next month when this room comes up again I should be able to do it in 15 minutes now that its de-cluttered. .... .. feels good to have it done -- and before lunch too-- Yahoo
#3 of 177 Old 01-07-2008, 07:31 PM

I wrapped gifts for four separate birthdays we have this month and moved them from my kitchen counter out to my car. Then I disassembled and put away the jigsaw puzzle that was on the counter underneath where all of the gifts had been scattered around. I'm so happy to have that counter space back!
#4 of 177 Old 01-07-2008, 07:36 PM

Well, its small but today I have kept my sink clean & free of dishes (all week actually!) and I've folded clothes immediately instead of letting them sit in baskets until I "get around to it".
#5 of 177 Old 01-07-2008, 07:47 PM

Very small...

I pulled two shirts out of my closet to give to Goodwill. One is too tight on me, the other doesn't make me feel "good" when I wear it, so maybe someone else will like it.

I took the big, unabridged dictionary and put it in the give away pile. We have little dictionaries and you can look up words on-line now.

I put a few other little things on the pile, too.

Oh, the other day I pulled some stuff out of the guest closet...more stuff I should say. But if dh doesn't get it OUT of here, I could end up putting it back IN the closet.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#6 of 177 Old 01-07-2008, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have been tackling my desk for the past 3 days....

the before....

no after yet...but I will post when done, which is soon!!
#7 of 177 Old 01-07-2008, 08:29 PM

I cooked dinner. I even made gravy from the pan drippings.

I woke up before the kids this morning and got myself ready so I could focus on them.

I went for a walk during my daughter's preschool time. I am feeling the winter blues coming on, and walking outside helps keep it at bay. I am most proud of this because I really wanted to sleep, but I knew that I would have another opportunity to sleep, but not to walk by myself.

I put clothes directly from the laundry into the donation and recycle pile. As I was folding, I just started a pile for castoffs. I now have 12 more things to add to my declutter total.
#8 of 177 Old 01-07-2008, 08:47 PM

I got my tupperware cupboard cleaned out and organized, and managed to tackle the toys in the livingroom and put all of the pieces back where they belong and pull out some toys to take to the consignment store.

SAM, momma to 3 beautiful babies: Tristan (5), Gabriel (4) , & Brighton (2)

#9 of 177 Old 01-07-2008, 08:49 PM

to cash in their giftcards and we has almost $5 leftover and didn't spent any money!

I dropped off an old tv (18 years old) with remote, outgrown PJs, outgrown toys, and 4 metal folding chairs to Goodwill.

I managed to get my youngest to therapy and home and didn't have to stop at his favorite store (Wal-Greens) to buy anything by talking him through it (he has OCD among other issues).

The drive to therapy was silent as the grave as my children did some homeschool stuff in the backseat! I should have suggested they do that earlier eh? (Twice a week we go to therapy and it's a half hour drive each way.)

I made biscuits for dinner instead of doing without because I am *too tired* to make any (I cut them extra thick so I only had to make 8! LOL!).

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4
#10 of 177 Old 01-07-2008, 09:16 PM

Well, today was a washout, since my littlest has had a fever all day and I've been holding her most of the day and nursing her, but yesterday, I cleaned out my craft cabinet, two medium sized bookcases, and 3 shelves above my little craft nook. And the day before, I took down all the Christmas things and got my family room back in order. So, yay for me!

Mama of 3 girls: 7.5 , 6 , and 4.5
#11 of 177 Old 01-07-2008, 10:18 PM

Today I threw away old socks and underwear!

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
#12 of 177 Old 01-07-2008, 10:47 PM

Today I ripped over 25 cds to our computer, placed the cds into our large case for discs, and tossed 24 jewel cases!

I also put all the discs for my Civilization addiction and other computer discs that only I use into one small disc holder--no more scrambling to find my discs!

Sarah ~ Kinda Crunchy Mom to 11yodd , 10yods, 10yods (MZ twins), 7yods , 5yods , 3yods

#13 of 177 Old 01-07-2008, 11:14 PM

I clean one drawer or shelf in my kitchen every day .. ususally only takes 10 minutes or so .. but today I tackled under the kitchen sink .... ohh boy .... somehow my DH & DS manage to miss the garbage can ... it really needed cleaning and scrubbing ... I put a rubber mat down ... looks good... yeah for me!!
#14 of 177 Old 01-07-2008, 11:18 PM

The small things is what it's all about! I also HEART this board

Today I FINALLY went through the laundry basket in our bedroom that had been sitting there for maybe a month full of stuff that needed to be either folded, ironed, given away or put in storage for the next baby. It took me maybe 15 minutes but about a month of procrastination. THe bedroom looks awesome now!

I also swept, vacuumed and kept the kitchen clean.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#15 of 177 Old 01-07-2008, 11:34 PM

I finally sorted through my littelest's clothes to pull out all the stuff that he's outgrown in his most recent growth spurt. Yahoo - a BIG box to go to goodwill I also did 4 loads of laundry, folded and put away!
#16 of 177 Old 01-07-2008, 11:50 PM

Today I :

Took down the Christmas tree (not really decluttering - just dreaded doing it).

Went through the hall bath cabinets and tossed old stuff and organized the other stuff in small baskets from the Dollar Store.
#17 of 177 Old 01-08-2008, 12:33 AM

I sorted through my fabric and have begun folding and putting what I want in shoe boxes, I'm tossing the scrabs.

I also gave away one baby hat, which is a big deal for me as the baby stuff is the hardest.

Yesterday I gave my sister a grocery bag full of books for her baby.

Baby steps for me.
#18 of 177 Old 01-08-2008, 12:44 AM

My 14 yr old and I went through his amoire (he doesn't have a closet-- we live in an 1880 farm house) and organized it. We sent a bunch of outgrown things to a friend, and matched socks. lol (I also cleaned and sorted the upstairs' bathroom cabinet). My mother bought him new bedding she found on sale, so we got all motivated. We also chose a new color for his room (we recently moved and it's pink! lol) I'll start that tomorrow. It's a small room, so I should be able to do it quickly.
#19 of 177 Old 01-08-2008, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used up the leftover veggies from a family get-together this past weekend.

I tossed them in some oil to saute, added some leftover southwestern chicken, bowtie pasta, onion powder, chicken broth, and a teaspoon of my new Mexican seasoning (which I bought in the last Frontier co-op). It was amazing. Plus, it really makes me happy to use up leftovers. They are one of the biggest food wastes in my house.

Tomorrow I plan to pack up half of DDs toys in a tub, to use in rotation from now on.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#20 of 177 Old 01-08-2008, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I did all the mending today.

And pulled everything off the kitchen counters for a good scrubdown. Then, I put less back so it is clean and clutter free.
#21 of 177 Old 01-08-2008, 01:31 AM

Today ive been finishing up several 'knifty knitter' projects that need about 15-30 mins each to complete... then i can start new ones..
#22 of 177 Old 01-08-2008, 03:32 AM

Well, let's see, my house is a huge clutter disaster after recovering from Thyroid cancer treatments, and then Christmas followed. I feel great now but have been overwhelmed with how bad I let my house get. I have been doing little baby steps everyday, trying to get things back together.

Today, I started to fill my second large goodwill bag this week, mostly clothing. Tomorrow, I want to hit the kids rooms and fill a bag with unwanted toys and stuffed animals. They have way too many!

I cleaned out my kitchen "junk drawer". Wow, it's so empty now

I set up a folding table close to the laundry area to help me fold clothes rather than dump them on the couch. I am promising myself that I will put away all my loads by the end of the day, so that the table is free for the next time. I have some terrible laundry habits to break!!

Also, I went through my Daughter's junk drawer in her room and filed away all the cute artwork we have saved from the last couple years. I cleared her drawer completely. There was so much junk we couldn't close it!

I have many, many more goals for this week.

Good luck to everyone trying to simplify in 2008!

Joanne
#23 of 177 Old 01-08-2008, 05:14 AM

I just reorganized a cabinet in the laundry room. Instead of it housing small appliances I rarely use, I donated or moved them to the basement, just kept the toaster and put all my cloth there - rag towels for big messes, kitchen washcloths and smaller towels for drying. I'm going to start using cloth napkins as well and there is plenty of room for them, too.

I condensed the contents of my big, close the doors/hide the clutter desk from Ikea into a recycled clementines box that fits in another laundry room cabinet. Now I can get rid of the whole desk!

Small things that will make a huge difference.
#24 of 177 Old 01-08-2008, 05:18 AM

hi Joanne -- I hope you are doing better now with your health!
I have a laundry system that works really well for me...

** I do one load every day
** Every morning I get up and put 1 load in the washer
** I immediately take out the laundry from the dryer ... there is never a whole lot because I only did one load the day before. I fold this laundry which only takes a few minutes and put away.

** I go back an hour later and throw the laundry from the washer to the dryer and walk away because its folded the next morning

This way -- I deal with all my laundry at one time.

Hope this helps -- Blessings to you and your family in 2008
#25 of 177 Old 01-08-2008, 05:29 AM

I made some killer Pumpkin Curry Soup to use up some mushrooms and pumpkin. Yesterday I cleaned out my office supply stash, the dust bunnies were plentiful! Oh, and on New Years I cleaned the Laundry room...yay us!

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010
#26 of 177 Old 01-08-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeciMami View Post
I made some killer Pumpkin Curry Soup to use up some mushrooms and pumpkin. Yesterday I cleaned out my office supply stash, the dust bunnies were plentiful! Oh, and on New Years I cleaned the Laundry room...yay us!
This sounds really good!

Well nothing like a January thaw to make you feel like it is time to spring clean!

Today I cleaned out the Junk drawers to end all junk drawers all though I admit it is not done yet.
#27 of 177 Old 01-08-2008, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Last night I did some much needed organizing of the files.
#28 of 177 Old 01-08-2008, 04:51 PM

I organized the receipts last night. I wrote what item was on the receipt that warranted my saving it. Then it went into store manila envelopes. I like to be able to get my hands on receipts quickly.

I've also decided that I need to evaluate what I see taking up space and if I don't use it, out it goes. I just noticed 3 Pampered Chef soap dispensers just sitting as I'm not a huge fan of foamy soap. Out they go. So, if I can do that a few times a day, then over time without much effort, we will have less clutter.
#29 of 177 Old 01-08-2008, 05:40 PM

I cleaned my small walk in Pantry today ... wow it was really disorganized .. looks a lot better and now there is room to stock up on a few can goods !!
yahoo
#30 of 177 Old 01-08-2008, 06:24 PM

Okay I'll post before reading what everyone else wrote.

Today was a preschool day for my 3 yr old so most of my morning was taken up with driving to and fro, a grocery run and an errand to the cable company. I also took about 45 min to walk to the office (I'm a chiropractor) and take down the Christmas/holiday decorations. I tidied up a bit (my dh really stinks at this... he can step over something a hundred times and still not move it) and straightened up the back room there too (which is more storage than anything.
When we got back, I put groceries away, set the kids up at the table with playdoh and tools, put the chicken bones from the roasted chicken we ate two days ago in the pressure cooker, wrote an email to my SIL, and laid down to rest (I've got extremely low bp and being pg I'm wiped out by noon). DH got home for lunch and helped finish the chicken noodle soup. Then I dumped the ingredients for oatmeal bread into the bread machine and set it to start.
I walked around and picked up a bit. Washed the dishes/tidied the kitchen after lunch, got the kids down for their naps and am now spending afew minutes online before I fold three loads of laundry and put one more in.

This afternoon I'll be posting here with my shoe pictures (trying to decide which ones to get rid of) which I still need to take. I'll probably organize the nb diaper stash I got in the mail this week, take pics and post to either my blog or my ddc (or both). I'll get snacks for the kids when they get up (I promised them we'd grind up some more peanut butter and make cherry jam for sandwiches), sit my behind down and spend a few hours knitting while they play (ha, I wish!). Then I'll get started on dinner. Dh will come home, we'll eat, kids will bathe, and get ready for bed. And I will sit my behind down again and find a show to watch while I knit some more.

Pretty much my day.

My main organizational "thing" this week was reorganizing the kitchen (complete with deep cleaning it - mopping, wiping down walls etc), and changing around how I keep my cooking spices. They are now on magnets on the side of the fridge.

My next organizational challenge is to pare down my shoe collection. I plan to take pictures, post them here for advice and sell what I don't decide to keep. What doesn't sell will get donated.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page