Stupidest stuff... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 64 Old 01-10-2008, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I asked people on my blog to post what the stupidest stuff is that they own. What about you guys? What is your absolutely lamest thing that you own?

Mine was my treadmill, until I got rid of it and stated walking outside.

What's your's?

Crunchy check list:  2 homebirths (one accidental UC!), co-slept, no CIO, cloth diapers, home/un school, raw milk drinker (!) I am a walking cliche!! I even blog and knit...
#2 of 64 Old 01-10-2008, 03:59 PM

My friend gave me an "Eggstractor". You boil and egg, pierce it on this thing and then it supposedly peels the egg for you. Im keeping it around a month and then plan to get rid of it.

Loving Mother to our adoption miracle, Riana :, and our angel baby, Xavier. Trying for baby. Wife to my Hero! BLOG LINK IN PROFILE
#3 of 64 Old 01-10-2008, 03:59 PM

I love my treadmill I use it at night, when it's too cold to go out for a walk and when DD is sleeping.

I own a Healthrider which is sitting in the garage, I need to get rid of it ASAP. I also own a rice cooker which I never use, I cook rice on the stove.
#4 of 64 Old 01-10-2008, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not anti-treadmill, but for me it was just soooo boring. I could not force myself to use it, but could go for even longer walks outside...until I quit exercising months ago :

The Eggstractor sounds absurd.

Keep 'em coming!

Crunchy check list:  2 homebirths (one accidental UC!), co-slept, no CIO, cloth diapers, home/un school, raw milk drinker (!) I am a walking cliche!! I even blog and knit...
#5 of 64 Old 01-10-2008, 05:34 PM

I was helping my mom rearrange her kitchen and I found a box of powdered calcium-- I'm 31 and she gave it to us when we were kids and had "growing pains"-- she thought it would help. Nasty stuff- it never did help either. I made her throw it away.

For me:
I have 2 things, both of which are leaving on the next trip to the Rescue Mission--

1. A paper log roller. http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?item...CT&itemID=2863
I am annoyed with it-- but apparently people still like them. Anyone interested??? (it was inherited)

2. 50th Anniversary Wedding cake topper from DH's Grandparent's anniversary.
Why??
...because MIL and FIL got married
later in life so MIL wants us to keep it, because we're the only
ones likely to use it!! (we have been married for 5 years) So.... I'm supposed to keep it 45 years....
Just so you know, it's plastic and lace with 2 swans...

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
#6 of 64 Old 01-10-2008, 05:39 PM

A manequin leg.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#7 of 64 Old 01-10-2008, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Well see, Vancouver Mommy, I think THAT sounds brilliant--not stupid!

#8 of 64 Old 01-10-2008, 10:06 PM

Thank you! Finally somebody who gets me. When DH and I moved in together he thought I was nuts.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#9 of 64 Old 01-10-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Mommy View Post
A manequin leg.
Well, now you just need a light bulb and lamp shade and you'll have light for the front room window

We had a used CPR dummy at my parents for years. We put it to good use though. My brother and I tied fishing line to the arm and made it wave to cars going by. I took him in the passenger seat of my first car when I went on my first big trip by myself to visit a friend in college. I thought it would look like I wasn't alone for safety's sake. I think I just made people laugh a lot though.

What do you have just a leg for? Be more fun to have the whole thing.

Married to wonderful DH 10 yrs DS 9yrs self-weaned @ 3 1/2 yrs  TTC 3 yrs got preg 4 months after HSG with DS 4yrs self-weaned at 3 1/2 yrs  Hope to have more little ones but have secondary infertility issues so we'll just have to see what the future brings Enjoying homeschooling and farming
#10 of 64 Old 01-10-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonboy'smommy View Post
Well, now you just need a light bulb and lamp shade and you'll have light for the front room window

We had a used CPR dummy at my parents for years. We put it to good use though. My brother and I tied fishing line to the arm and made it wave to cars going by. I took him in the passenger seat of my first car when I went on my first big trip by myself to visit a friend in college. I thought it would look like I wasn't alone for safety's sake. I think I just made people laugh a lot though.

**snort** Thats too funny!

Loving Mother to our adoption miracle, Riana :, and our angel baby, Xavier. Trying for baby. Wife to my Hero! BLOG LINK IN PROFILE
#11 of 64 Old 01-10-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:

Christy wash.gif Mom to DS 4/21/04 reading.gif DD 9/20/09  dust.gif DD 7/2/11jog.gif

#12 of 64 Old 01-11-2008, 04:27 AM

I don't have anything really ridiculous anymore. Not since moving 3,000 miles from "home" because I had to get rid of almost everything.

f I haven't snuck it into the trash bin yet, in the garage he has a funky racoon tail thingy. *shudder*

Something I find fairly ridiculous is my MILs gift to us last year. A popcorn bowl with small bowls.. okay, not that bad, but space killers. But the ridiculous part was a box of toxic microwave popcorn and a wooden dispenser for packaged bags of popcorn. 'Cause we eat that stuff, right?

Once I start decluttering the kitchen, that will have to gooooo!

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#13 of 64 Old 01-11-2008, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

OT: GinaRae I LOVE the picture of your husband and your peanut butter Picasso! My daughter, at around the same age, thought it would look and feel wonderful to smear a stick of butter all over the kitchen floor as we were scurrying around getting ready for a trip...

#14 of 64 Old 01-13-2008, 01:50 AM

I have gotten rid of so much lately, but I still have our curly fry maker-purchased from shop at home when I was 12 years old, BTW. I couldn't get rid of it, and now my kids think it is the coolest thing ever! And its probably healthier than buying bagged frozen fries!
#15 of 64 Old 01-13-2008, 07:15 PM

My juicer is pretty ridiculous... I bought it when we were trying to follow the "You are what you eat" diet. I think I've used it 3 times, but I'm never getting rid of it since I paid too much.

SAM, momma to 3 beautiful babies: Tristan (5), Gabriel (4) , & Brighton (2)

#16 of 64 Old 01-13-2008, 11:52 PM

I'll go along with the needless small appliances. DH bought a juicer and breadmaker last year. Both take up a lot of space and neither is ever used.
#17 of 64 Old 01-13-2008, 11:59 PM

I have dozens of Welch's jelly jars from the 70's with like Looney Tunes characters on them.

I don't want these things yet I can't get rid of them.
#18 of 64 Old 01-14-2008, 12:08 AM

I think we have a lettuce spinner or two somewhere in the garage. Who needs dizzy lettuce?

The previous owners of this house also left behind a vintage black metal TV tray with pink poodles painted on it. I should clean it up and try to sell it, now that I'm thinking of it.

I had a broken accordion that I only got rid of a couple years ago. I actually bought it broken. Oh - and I don't play the accordion. One of my many, "WTF was I thinking?" purchases.
#19 of 64 Old 01-14-2008, 12:38 AM

[QUOTE=simonboy'smommy;10247216]Well, now you just need a light bulb and lamp shade and you'll have light for the front room window

QUOTE]

LOL

That movie always makes me cry.
#20 of 64 Old 01-14-2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_Mother View Post
My friend gave me an "Eggstractor". You boil and egg, pierce it on this thing and then it supposedly peels the egg for you. Im keeping it around a month and then plan to get rid of it.
I want it!

My wierdest thing hmmm, could it me the painted doll head in my darkroom? Yep, I think that may be it.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#21 of 64 Old 01-14-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_bella1050 View Post
I want it!

My wierdest thing hmmm, could it me the painted doll head in my darkroom? Yep, I think that may be it.
Seriously, I will send it to you if you cover shipping. I dont think it could cost much to ship either since its very light.

#22 of 64 Old 01-14-2008, 02:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Old turtle shells w/stuffed men's dress socks as the legs & head. They were my great-aunts and are depression era toys that she made when she was a kid. They are very sentimental to me but most people are disgusted by them.
#23 of 64 Old 01-14-2008, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Curious View Post
Old turtle shells w/stuffed men's dress socks as the legs & head. They were my great-aunts and are depression era toys that she made when she was a kid. They are very sentimental to me but most people are disgusted by them.

That sounds kind of interesting. I've never heard of that.
That reminds me...........you all will think I'm gross. I have a real turtle that I found in the mud that had died and still had all the bones still inside the shell. Uh, it's been setting on my porch for.....maybe 2 months now??? I planned to bring it in and reassemble all the bones. Yep, shoulda gone to vet school

Married to wonderful DH 10 yrs DS 9yrs self-weaned @ 3 1/2 yrs  TTC 3 yrs got preg 4 months after HSG with DS 4yrs self-weaned at 3 1/2 yrs  Hope to have more little ones but have secondary infertility issues so we'll just have to see what the future brings Enjoying homeschooling and farming
#24 of 64 Old 01-14-2008, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilla626 View Post
I think we have a lettuce spinner or two somewhere in the garage. Who needs dizzy lettuce?
ooh! I have been meaning to ask for one of those on freecycle! I HATE wet lettuce and nothing I do gets it sufficiently dry and clean.

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!
#25 of 64 Old 01-14-2008, 03:38 AM

Quote:
That sounds kind of interesting. I've never heard of that.
That reminds me...........you all will think I'm gross. I have a real turtle that I found in the mud that had died and still had all the bones still inside the shell. Uh, it's been setting on my porch for.....maybe 2 months now??? I planned to bring it in and reassemble all the bones. Yep, shoulda gone to vet school
woah! I have one too! A raccoon (or something) has taken off a leg and the head... this was how my toddler learned about bones!
#26 of 64 Old 01-14-2008, 04:19 AM

I have a fiberglass hood for a 1969 camaro.

I have never owned a camaro. 5 months ago we moved 1500 miles. spent 2 months getting rid of 95% of our stuff. It came down to the last day and I still couldn't get rid of it. So I threw it into the truck.

Thats right I STILL have the stupid hood.
#27 of 64 Old 01-14-2008, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not into car culture at all, but a '69 Camaro just conjures up such cool images.

Do you feel like Steve McQueen, or Billy Jack or like you're gonna go to Woodstock? I would...:

I don't think these odd, unusual, eccentric things are stupid stuff AT ALL. I think everyone needs more of that kind of stuff and less mass produced advertised to within an inch of it's life poor quality breaks in a week stuff that everyone seems to need to have.

Bones are cool. They're Nature. It's reality.

#28 of 64 Old 01-14-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_Mother View Post
Seriously, I will send it to you if you cover shipping. I dont think it could cost much to ship either since its very light.

That would be great. I'm the deviled egg queen in my family, I'm required to bring them to every holiday. Also dd1 lives for hard boiled eggs

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#29 of 64 Old 01-14-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Mommy View Post
A manequin leg.
On a related note, I own an inflatable plastic leg with a cartoon image of a woman's face decorating the calve. It serves absolutely zero purpose, and I have no idea what it was originally supposed to be, as I picked it up at a thrift store. I used to have it hanging in my room as a teen. And it's just one of those things I can't get rid of, because I have my doubts that I'll ever find something that bizarre again in my lifetime.
#30 of 64 Old 01-14-2008, 11:20 PM

I was helping MIL clean out the basement last year. When her parents died, she boxed everything up (no labels on anything) and shoved it in the basement for 20+ years. She was not at all discerning at the time, so we came upon Jello boxes from the 70s, newspapers, free tchotchis from seminars/workshops/etc., and tons of religious tracts. The wierdest, I thought, was the medicine cabinet. Half used bottles of Tylenol and Pepto Bismol, in glass bottles. She wouldn't get rid of them, thinking a "collector" might want them. Jello boxes and Pepto Bismol are carefully repacked in the basement, now in labelled boxes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page