organizing tea bags - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-14-2008, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone, this is the first time I have visited this area of MDC. But my dh is always trying to get me to be more organized and less of a packrat, so I will try to stop in more often.

My question today, is does anyone have any good ideas how to organize tea packets? We have MANY types of teas and I do condense them into boxes when some are getting low, even if they are different types. But I'm looking for an idea of something that will fit nicely in the cupboard that I can put my tea bags in and just get 1 "caddy" out and get everyone the tea that they want instead of knocking over boxes to get 3 types of flavors.

TIA
#2 of 14 Old 01-14-2008, 02:35 AM

Greetings,
we had the same problem and I find those little boxes take up a lot of room.
So I bought the ziploc bags that have a place to write on the outside of them which type of tea. I also purchased a clean plastic bin with a lid. The Teas are all in alphabetical order in the bin in their bags. I can quickly find what I want and can also quickly see what I am low on.

Hope that helps

ps welcome to our forum:
#3 of 14 Old 01-14-2008, 02:36 AM

laughup ... oops that should read CLEAR plastic bin -- although it is clean as well LOL
#4 of 14 Old 01-19-2008, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Just in case anyone else was interested in organizing their tea assortments, I found some thing adjustable compartment totes at the hardware store, used to sort nuts/bolts/screws, ect. There are 3 or 4 rows and then you can decide how narrow or wide each section needs to be. It fit our teas fairly well, except we needed 2 to contain or wide variety of teas. The only problem was that it was just a bit wide for our small cabinets and we have to turn it slightly to get it out instead of being able to just pull it out straight.
#5 of 14 Old 01-19-2008, 11:27 PM

I too have a tea "issue" Right now on my counter, I have a heap of about 40 boxes of teas. I know, I know, I need to stop buying them, but I love tea, and I tend to get them as gifts, and then I see one I want to try in the store, and you see where this is going.

I wonder about the ziplock baggies in a clear/clean tote system? Don't the baggies slide around in there and get all mixed up pretty easily? Also, I definitely would not have the room for a tote from the hardward store. I could potentially clean out a drawer in the kitchen if I had to and somehow organize them in there. Regardless, I need to ditch the boxes and come up with a better system.

Will definitely sub to this thread.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#6 of 14 Old 01-19-2008, 11:29 PM

I do ziplock bags as well, though really a combo of the boxes and hte bags. I don't have a ton of different teas though. Maybe 9 or 10.

I have a shelf in a narrow cabinet that is my dedicated tea shelf, I keep all the teas there and all my sweetners, a repurposed margarine container for sugar and my travel mug.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#7 of 14 Old 01-20-2008, 01:19 AM

My mom bought me a beautiful mahogany tea caddy from the Bombay Company. It's wonderful, I can organize all of the tea in there and when we have guests I can just pull it out for everyone to choose their own flavor.

SAM, momma to 3 beautiful babies: Tristan (5), Gabriel (4) , & Brighton (2)

#8 of 14 Old 01-20-2008, 05:18 AM

I like the idea of tea box - wood ones are nice and no need to use more plastic. I use old tins and put them all on a tray. We have way too much tea. DH is responsible for most of this!
#9 of 14 Old 01-20-2008, 10:43 AM

I have a warning about tea boxes. We've had three different ones, including the one from Bombay, and most of our tea bags do NOT fit in them!!! The other thing is unless your bags are individually wrapped you won't know which kinds they are.

I'm thinking of switching to ziplocks because DH has over 50 kinds of tea in boxes and it is surely a pain to find things. Plus he has a $50 gift certifical to use at Stash Tea so I know we'll have lots more since he's getting a sampler pack. <sigh>
#10 of 14 Old 01-20-2008, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Pumpkin Pie- It's not a huge tote, more like the size of a flat craft organizer with different compartments, and you can select the size of the compartemnts. I used up two of them and they stack on top of one another taking up about the same space on one shelf as about 5-8 boxes and I had about 20 -25 different boxes, therefore overflowing 2 shelves and some on the counter.

For the teas that aren't individually wrapped, I put them in a cheapy plastic back (because it folds/crumples easier than a zip lock). You could write on the bag or I put labels on the lid of the box telling me what teas where where. I'll see if I can get a pic. It is soooo much nicer to see the 2 clear bins instead of a ton of different tea boxes/ falling all over the place
#11 of 14 Old 01-20-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snitker79 View Post
Pumpkin Pie- It's not a huge tote, more like the size of a flat craft organizer with different compartments, and you can select the size of the compartemnts. I used up two of them and they stack on top of one another taking up about the same space on one shelf as about 5-8 boxes and I had about 20 -25 different boxes, therefore overflowing 2 shelves and some on the counter.

For the teas that aren't individually wrapped, I put them in a cheapy plastic back (because it folds/crumples easier than a zip lock). You could write on the bag or I put labels on the lid of the box telling me what teas where where. I'll see if I can get a pic. It is soooo much nicer to see the 2 clear bins instead of a ton of different tea boxes/ falling all over the place
I would love to see a pic. I love my teas so much, but have been thinking about ditching the collection simply because I can't store all of the boxes. It drives me absolutely nuts when I have like two bags per box, but I don't want to forget what each one is.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#12 of 14 Old 01-20-2008, 10:52 PM

This drove me crazy as well until we converted to loose tea. It takes up a lot less room. I have a basket in the cupboard next to the cups and teapot, and all the containers (small metal tea tins that are in plentiful supply at most thriftstores, though I was given most of mine) are in there with the tea balls. It's a lot cheaper, to boot.

Pregnant and/or breastfeeding since May, 2004, with dd6, ds4, and dd born 9/11.
We homeschool.gif.
#13 of 14 Old 01-20-2008, 11:19 PM

I converted my junk drawer to a tea drawer. the individually wrapped teas fit in there very nicely, but the others I just keep in the boxes with the top ripped off. I did this with spices for a while too--put them all into those small ziplocks that come fromt the hobby store, for jewelry I think....I guess I like to file.
#14 of 14 Old 01-20-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
It drives me absolutely nuts when I have like two bags per box, but I don't want to forget what each one is.
Me too. Those are the ones that I *must* drink next in order to get rid of the box!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page