Is it worth it to have a breadmaker? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 62 Old 01-14-2008, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've seen a few around at thrift stores...and I'm wondering, are they worth it?

I mean, do they really make things easier? Or is it just another appliance to take up space?

What are your thoughts? Do you have one, love it, or had one never used it?
#2 of 62 Old 01-14-2008, 02:45 PM

Have one and love it. I got mine off Freecycle - definitely one of my best FC scores!

I use mine weekly to make dough, and then bake it in the oven, I prefer "regular" loaves to baking it in the machine. I keep it on the floor of my pantry.
#3 of 62 Old 01-14-2008, 02:49 PM

I have one & I love it, although I don't use it all that often. I usually make bread for holidays/big dinners & I love that it's quick & easy. I used to use it to make everyday bread before I went back to work but that has fallen away. I also use it to make pizza dough...I make 2-3 batches at a time & freeze it.

For me, the big plus about the one I have is that it makes horizontal loaves. I don't like the ones that make 'tall' loaves.
#4 of 62 Old 01-14-2008, 02:51 PM

i dont have one. i use my kitchen aid to mix and knead it for me, then bake in a glass loaf pan

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#5 of 62 Old 01-14-2008, 03:03 PM

I love mine but I don't really use it all that much. My kids would love it if I used it more but I just sort of overlook it. I bought a pricey one that does it all and it is really nice. I had cheapo bread machines in the past and they didn't work all that well.

I have a grain mill and a Bosch, so technically I didn't need it as I do have the capability to make 6 loaves at one time. But it is the convenience factor.

That being said, I think that I will go throw in a loaf of bread. And maybe start a batch of yogurt. My kids will be thrilled. :
#6 of 62 Old 01-14-2008, 03:22 PM

When I had one, I never used it. I preferred making bread by hand, and it really doesn't take much longer, hands on. It's just a bit messier. I found the batches too small, and I had to make bread every other day. Big batches, I can bake once or twice a week.
#7 of 62 Old 01-14-2008, 03:24 PM

It's worth it - if you use it! I love mine and use it at least once a week. My mother bought one three years ago and it's still in the original packaging. I find it to be much quicker, with less clean up than my kitchenaid stand mixer, so I can make bread more often
#8 of 62 Old 01-14-2008, 03:32 PM

I probably wouldn't have bothered buying one new, but I found one at a garage sale for $10. Totally worth it and I love it! I bake bread at least once a week. I pretty much keep it out on the counter. I like that I can just throw in the ingredients and forget about it. My homemade bread always turned out really dense and heavy, these loaves are nice and fluffy.
#9 of 62 Old 01-14-2008, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm...Ok, I think I might be headed back to the TS then. Thanks for all your imput!

I have questions though...(I'm new to the breadmaker world)...I can put the ingredients in, it will make dough, and then I can take it out and freeze it for later use? Or take it out to make rolls or something?
#10 of 62 Old 01-14-2008, 04:14 PM

I don't have a kitchen aide mixer, so for making dough it does a good job! I make dough for pizza, rolls, cinnamon rolls, bread among other things. It's very easy to make a loaf of bread with it, and I buy yeast in bulk and it's very inexpensive to make a loaf.

And, living in FL we have the advantage that it uses less energy to bake it in the bread machine than the oven and heats up the house less!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#11 of 62 Old 01-14-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I have questions though...(I'm new to the breadmaker world)...I can put the ingredients in, it will make dough, and then I can take it out and freeze it for later use? Or take it out to make rolls or something?

Yes!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#12 of 62 Old 01-14-2008, 05:21 PM

It wasn't worth it for me - I gave mine away to someone who makes bread so often that she actually had a use for two. We don't eat bread all that often, so it didn't save us any running-to-the-store time, and while the bread was much better, it just wasn't worth the time to make it even with the machine.

Someday when I have the house in order and have more time, I'll choose which "life refinements", as I think of them, I want to pursue. If homemade bread is one of them, I might buy a new one.

Crayfish
#13 of 62 Old 01-14-2008, 08:14 PM

I have one and love it. Mine also was a Freecycle steal! However, often times, I forget about it too.
It all comes down to how often you really make bread? Ours kneads your dough and cooks it for you, which is nice when you are busy cleaning that bread is baking, truly makes the house smell good!
We eat it up rather quickly though! LOL!
It isn't small though....so if you aren't going to use it often enough then I would't bother.
Why dont you check your local freecycle for one (just request one and I am sure you will get plenty of responses!)

Loving Mother to our adoption miracle, Riana :, and our angel baby, Xavier. Trying for baby. Wife to my Hero! BLOG LINK IN PROFILE
#14 of 62 Old 01-14-2008, 09:29 PM

I don't use mine.

It sits in the laundry and gathers dust. I can't let it go though, because I love the idea of baking bread and I always mean to do it, I just "haven't got around to it yet."

Kath contented vegan mama to my trio of free-range boys
Permaculture Design Student & Wannabe Urban Homesteader
#15 of 62 Old 01-14-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenRay View Post
I don't use mine.

It sits in the laundry and gathers dust. I can't let it go though, because I love the idea of baking bread and I always mean to do it, I just "haven't got around to it yet."

Keep it on your kitchen counter... you won't forget to make bread then.
#16 of 62 Old 01-14-2008, 10:21 PM

I was tired of the cheapo bread that would fall apart whenever I tried to make French Toast so I mentioned to my mother that I was intending on starting to bake my own bread and she gave me their old breadmaker. She said that they always ate way too much bread when she used it so they never used it anymore. We don't have that problem at all though. I think the loaf comes out better if baked in the regular oven in a glass bread pan, but when I just don't have the time I go ahead and let the machine do all the work. We have homemade pizza at least once a week and the bread machine does the dough for it. Also rolls, I can make 16 good sized rolls from one cycle on the bread machine. I keep it on a cart in the dining/ living room. Apartment living means finding creative spaces. I used to keep it on the floor... It's much nicer now. I can successfully say that we haven't bought any bread products since last summer, and everybody raved about my homemade rolls at Thanksgiving. I want to work on freezing bread now that our freezer is actually freezing again, I don't have much experience with frozen dough but I plan to experiment. I also am going to freeze sliced bread for those times that we need some for DH's lunch and I just don't have the time to put the bread on. I think he's gotten his fill of homemade waffles in his lunch bag. Another appliance I just adore and use a lot!
#17 of 62 Old 01-14-2008, 10:45 PM

I love mine. I use it at least once a week. I do bake in the oven, since I use it to make braided loaves. I wouldn't need it if I had a good mixer (which is more versatile), but it was a gift. I much prefer letting a machine do the kneading. I always used to add too much flour when kneading by hand.
#18 of 62 Old 01-14-2008, 10:45 PM

I have an old but outstanding Zojirushi that I found at Vinnie's for $10 and I use it at least 2 or 3 times a week. I quite buying bread and simply make all our bread now. Like a PP said, they are amazing if you use them but they take up a ton of space if you don't. Mine is tucked right in my cupboard. I love that I can throw the ingredients in before I go to bed and wake up to a wonderful loaf of bread to toast for breakfast.
#19 of 62 Old 01-14-2008, 10:45 PM

We have one. I love it. I am Gluten Free and DH makes me a loaf of bread every Sunday. Then I cut it in slices and freeze them for the week. It took us a bit to get used to it but now DH can do it in 15 minutes!

We do use bread mixes which makes it a bit easier.
#20 of 62 Old 01-15-2008, 12:16 AM

We use ours every. single. day.

Dh has perfected a whole wheat recipe that our family loves. And he's put together little baggies with all the dry ingredients except the flour, so it takes <5 minutes to get a loaf started.

Sarah ~ Kinda Crunchy Mom to 11yodd , 10yods, 10yods (MZ twins), 7yods , 5yods , 3yods

#21 of 62 Old 01-15-2008, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustasmom View Post
I love mine but I don't really use it all that much. My kids would love it if I used it more but I just sort of overlook it. I bought a pricey one that does it all and it is really nice. I had cheapo bread machines in the past and they didn't work all that well.

I have a grain mill and a Bosch, so technically I didn't need it as I do have the capability to make 6 loaves at one time. But it is the convenience factor.

That being said, I think that I will go throw in a loaf of bread. And maybe start a batch of yogurt. My kids will be thrilled. :
What's a Bosch?
#22 of 62 Old 01-23-2008, 01:04 AM

We just got a breadman ultimate plus. Maybe the "plus" is the big dent in the corner of the pan it came with. : Now I'm searching for replacement pans and I'm finding out about pans wearing out early. Replacements are $40. I'm wondering if getting this is the right thing....? Anyone having issues with pans wearing out? Teflon coming off?

Should I return this and just get a mixer instead? Or would that be like trading in the Maytag for a washboard? If baking's a big mess and lots o' trouble I'm just not going to do it as often. I know myself enough to know that. But I've heard that some people love making bread with their kitchen aids. How does the process compare?
#23 of 62 Old 01-23-2008, 01:13 AM

Have one and love it. I never use it to bake the bread, just to make dough. We use it weekly for pizza dough, rolls, whole wheat bread...you name it. It is one of the few things in my kitchen I couldn't live without! Sure, I enjoy making bread by hand better but with a toddler and a preschooler right now it's much simpler just to throw everything in the machine and go.
#24 of 62 Old 01-23-2008, 01:26 AM

I have one. Almost considered throwing it out since we're moving and I don't use it... however I'll give it a go if someone can give me a SUPER EASY white bread recipe that doesn't contain weird expensive ingredients. And if someone can tell me which ingredients go first in the darn thing. I don't have a manual to mine and can't find it online...

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#25 of 62 Old 01-23-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
I have one. Almost considered throwing it out since we're moving and I don't use it... however I'll give it a go if someone can give me a SUPER EASY white bread recipe that doesn't contain weird expensive ingredients. And if someone can tell me which ingredients go first in the darn thing. I don't have a manual to mine and can't find it online...
I have a great bread recipe book that tweaks recipes by machine. Tell me what machine do you have & I'll look up the basic white bread recipe.
#26 of 62 Old 01-23-2008, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

I posted for one on freecycle earlier today, and also on a local AP group, so we'll see...getting some local organic whole wheat flour soon...
#27 of 62 Old 01-23-2008, 02:08 AM

I adore my breadmaker. I love to make things myself, but I have a busy toddler and don't have time to make bread from scratch unless I use the breadmaker. I love to use the Dough setting to make raw dough, which I then shape by hand into rolls, pretzels, pizza dough, etc. My son and I have even made "Bubba Biscuits" this way, letting him shape the dough himself. What fun!

Good luck.

Kady

Homeschooling, organic gardening, jewelry-making, bread-baking pagan mama to Bubba:
#28 of 62 Old 01-23-2008, 05:10 AM

IMO, no. I make bread at least weekly. If I forget to start it the night before, I use the dough hook on my KitchenAid stand mixer to knead the dough while doing other chores. Otherwise, I typically use a no knead recipe- start at night and allow it to rise for 18ish hours- fresh bread in time for dinner.

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!
#29 of 62 Old 01-23-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu's mama View Post
I have a great bread recipe book that tweaks recipes by machine. Tell me what machine do you have & I'll look up the basic white bread recipe.
I have a Regal K6755 and no idea how to use it.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#30 of 62 Old 01-23-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
Never fear ... see http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/br...hinemanual.htm

She also has some very simple bread recipes too. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page