Keep or get rid of... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-14-2008, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a large tote of maternity clothes. At this point more children are not completely out of the question, but are not 100%.

On one hand, if we do decide to have more children, I can't see buying a complete new wardrobe for myself, kwim? And these fit any season. I have T-shirts, sweaters, long sleeved shirts, jeans, capri's, skirts, tanks since my pregnancies have gone from May-Jan and Feb-Oct...

They are all packed away in one large tote and completely usable. My SIL and a friend are both pg but neither are my size so they can't find a new home for the time being.

So...do I keep them for my potential future pregnancy? Unless I gain/loose an incredible amount of weight these will fit me (and I have no plans to do either, I'm fairly happy with my current weight). I don't want to get rid of them because I won't be able to afford to buy new if/when I get pg again. And don't know anyone that can use them in the meantime...

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#2 of 12 Old 01-14-2008, 05:49 PM

When I face items like these, I just save them until there's not one other thing in the whole house that I can declutter/clean/organize. I have some maternity clothes that I am keeping (mostly pants), but I know that we will be TTC again in the future.

HTH

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#3 of 12 Old 01-14-2008, 05:50 PM

If they won't fit now, they probably won't fit later. And styles change big time.

I would donate them (and take the charitable deduction) to a pregnancy crisis center. That way you know that they would be used by someone who is in serious need.
#4 of 12 Old 01-14-2008, 05:52 PM

If it is just one tote, and you have the space for it where it won't be bugging you daily, then keep it.

If you are always tripping on it and its making you bitter, then either make space for it or weed it down to a smaller tote you can live with.

Good luck, I've thought the same thing many times.
#5 of 12 Old 01-14-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyApple View Post
If it is just one tote, and you have the space for it where it won't be bugging you daily, then keep it.

If you are always tripping on it and its making you bitter, then either make space for it or weed it down to a smaller tote you can live with.

I second this... usually I'm of the mind to pass it on so that someone can be using it right now, but having gone through a couple pregnancies where I spent way too much of my time trying to find clothes I could fit into that didn't cost a fortune I'm really feeling maternity clothes that fit are a must to keep until you *know* you won't need them again.
#6 of 12 Old 01-14-2008, 06:32 PM

If you have the space to store it somewhere, I would keep it. They fit you and you may have more children, so I wouldn't get rid of them yet.

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#7 of 12 Old 01-14-2008, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustasmom View Post
If they won't fit now, they probably won't fit later. And styles change big time.
Sorry, I was kind of unclear...they do fit (well when I'm pg they fit).

The styles aren't really set in stone, it's just normal maternity jeans and plain long sleeved shirts, sweaters, and plain tank tops. Pretty standard ME clothes.

My mom can keep them for me in her loft so they aren't horrible in the way.

If I were going to pass them on, I'd pass them to a friend so that I could get them back when/if I get pregnant again, but the only friend I have that is pg couldn't fit into these, I offered them to her. My SIL is pg but she's due any second now so she wouldn't get any use out of them (plus they wouldn't fit). I have one girlfriend that has an almost 6 month old and she is planning on having more, but not for a year or more...plus we're not the same size either.

I guess I'll hold onto them for a little while longer...if when Aldria is 1.5 or 2 we make a more concrete decision either way I'll go from there.

And if one of my friends thats closer to my size gets pg between now and then then she is welcome to use them

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#8 of 12 Old 01-14-2008, 07:03 PM

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#9 of 12 Old 01-14-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMama View Post
Sorry, I was kind of unclear...they do fit (well when I'm pg they fit).

The styles aren't really set in stone, it's just normal maternity jeans and plain long sleeved shirts, sweaters, and plain tank tops. Pretty standard ME clothes.

My mom can keep them for me in her loft so they aren't horrible in the way.

If I were going to pass them on, I'd pass them to a friend so that I could get them back when/if I get pregnant again, but the only friend I have that is pg couldn't fit into these, I offered them to her. My SIL is pg but she's due any second now so she wouldn't get any use out of them (plus they wouldn't fit). I have one girlfriend that has an almost 6 month old and she is planning on having more, but not for a year or more...plus we're not the same size either.

I guess I'll hold onto them for a little while longer...if when Aldria is 1.5 or 2 we make a more concrete decision either way I'll go from there.

And if one of my friends thats closer to my size gets pg between now and then then she is welcome to use them
Then I would keep the classic styles. Black pants, jeans, and the such.

I've had 8 babies over 20 years and trust me, styles change. And not only that, but your seasons have to line up, too. Seven months pregnant is January is not seven months pregnant in July.

With this last baby, tight tops were in. That worked for me. I just wore my normal shirts and they were tight from the pregnancy. And the odd thing is that the smock sort of shirt from the past in now a non-maternity shirt. What are these store buyers trying to pull anyway??
#10 of 12 Old 01-14-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyApple View Post

Good luck, I've thought the same thing many times.
:

Christy wash.gif Mom to DS 4/21/04 reading.gif DD 9/20/09  dust.gif DD 7/2/11jog.gif

#11 of 12 Old 01-14-2008, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If it's stuff that won't go out of style, and you might need again, then IMO it's stupid to get rid of it now. That's not clutter- that's a box of useful items, even though you don't need them right now.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#12 of 12 Old 01-14-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
If it's stuff that won't go out of style, and you might need again, then IMO it's stupid to get rid of it now. That's not clutter- that's a box of useful items, even though you don't need them right now.
especially since you have a place to store them out of the way, and you are willing to loan them out to a friend later.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page