Clorox Announces New Green Line! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 01-15-2008, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008...reen-works.php

"First they acquired Burt's Bees; now, Clorox is throwing its hat into the green cleaning ring with the launch of Green Works, a line of "natural" green cleaners designed to compete with the likes of Seventh Generation and method. Unveiled today, Green Works is the first such effort from a major consumer products company, and there's a pretty interesting story behind it all.

"

Its a step forward, thats for sure. I may even try some of them out and review them on MDC. Very cool that they are at the very least trying. And I can't fault them too much for having that 1% unnatural preservative as the more natural you go, the more preservative you typically need. Though I wonder if they couldn't find something more natural and less petroleum based to do it.......
Interesting article nonetheless!

Loving Mother to our adoption miracle, Riana :, and our angel baby, Xavier. Trying for baby. Wife to my Hero! BLOG LINK IN PROFILE
#2 of 37 Old 01-15-2008, 12:59 PM

Thanks for posting about this! I didn't know. I'll look at it as a positive, as well. It will bring green products even more mainstream. I also like it because right now I can buy the "bad" cleaners for $.50 each with coupons, but can't ever afford the
"good" cleaners. Maybe the green products will be more accessible to poor people.
#3 of 37 Old 01-15-2008, 02:49 PM

certainly a step in the right direction, although i'm pretty sure they still test on animals, so i won't be buying their products.
#4 of 37 Old 01-15-2008, 02:52 PM

I hope they're available in Canada. I have the hardest time finding all the green cleaners etc that are sold in the USA.
#5 of 37 Old 01-15-2008, 02:54 PM

Thanks for posting. Do you know when these will come available to the public?

Kristy
Mom to Rebecca (13) and David (3)
#6 of 37 Old 01-15-2008, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loitering View Post
Thanks for posting about this! I didn't know. I'll look at it as a positive, as well. It will bring green products even more mainstream. I also like it because right now I can buy the "bad" cleaners for $.50 each with coupons, but can't ever afford the
"good" cleaners. Maybe the green products will be more accessible to poor people.
I bought all the cleaners today and will review them one by one on my blog:

www.findingmywaytosimplicity.blogspot.com

I got all of them for $13. They have them on sale at Krogers (with your Krogers Card) for 2/$5

Loving Mother to our adoption miracle, Riana :, and our angel baby, Xavier. Trying for baby. Wife to my Hero! BLOG LINK IN PROFILE
#7 of 37 Old 01-15-2008, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristy555 View Post
Thanks for posting. Do you know when these will come available to the public?

Kristy
Mom to Rebecca (13) and David (3)
I bought them today and will be reviewing them on my blog:

www.findingmywaytosimplicity.blogspot.com

#8 of 37 Old 01-15-2008, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkfum View Post
certainly a step in the right direction, although i'm pretty sure they still test on animals, so i won't be buying their products.
Their Green line does NOT test on animals! Though Im sure the non-green stuff they still do!

#9 of 37 Old 01-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Banned

I saw them today! I can't wait to read the reviews!
#10 of 37 Old 01-15-2008, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitBaby View Post
I saw them today! I can't wait to read the reviews!
I already reviewed one today. Tomorrow we will review the Glass and Surface Cleaner!
I did love the smell btw....yum!

#11 of 37 Old 01-15-2008, 09:04 PM

There has been some chatter about this line over in Natural Home and Body Care. I think it's a good thing to make products that are much less harmful for the planet at a reasonable cost and that are widely available. I picked up some of this line at Kroger (like a PP mentioned) at 2 for $5. We'll see how it goes.

Things like GreenWorks and Method and Mrs. Meyer's aren't perfect but aren't they better than the alternative that most of the people who buy those lines would use? I think so.

So when's Target going to get it???
#12 of 37 Old 01-15-2008, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyErin View Post
There has been some chatter about this line over in Natural Home and Body Care. I think it's a good thing to make products that are much less harmful for the planet at a reasonable cost and that are widely available. I picked up some of this line at Kroger (like a PP mentioned) at 2 for $5. We'll see how it goes.

Things like GreenWorks and Method and Mrs. Meyer's aren't perfect but aren't they better than the alternative that most of the people who buy those lines would use? I think so.

So when's Target going to get it???
Yeah I got them there and am reviewing them on my blog. I like them so far...they work as well as my Vinegar, Lemon/Orange, Salt and Baking Soda! So far anyway.
I dont know if Target will get them or not! Have to check into that. Im curious as well since they are currently sporting the more expensive Method. I also am curious if the good sale on the Clorox is only temporary and it will mark up a bunch once they are done marketing it?
I love Mrs. Meyers!

#13 of 37 Old 01-15-2008, 11:31 PM

i bought some of the all purpose cleaner. i havent had a chance to use it yet... when i saw it in the store i was excited. lol.
#14 of 37 Old 01-15-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_Mother View Post
Yeah I got them there and am reviewing them on my blog. I like them so far...they work as well as my Vinegar, Lemon/Orange, Salt and Baking Soda! So far anyway.
I dont know if Target will get them or not! Have to check into that. Im curious as well since they are currently sporting the more expensive Method. I also am curious if the good sale on the Clorox is only temporary and it will mark up a bunch once they are done marketing it?
I love Mrs. Meyers!
I'd still feel safer using vinegar,lemon/orange, salt and baking soda.

I won't be able to use the new Clorox products. Petroleum in them and fragrance.

But I agree that for some people, it may be a better choice than regular mainstream cleaning products.

I'm still sad that Burt's Bees belongs to them now. I won't buy Burt's Bees anymore, because I will be afraid of what Clorox might put in the products and label it "natural." Natural can mean a lot of things and doesn't always mean harmless.

Oh well.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#15 of 37 Old 01-16-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinybutterfly View Post
But I agree that for some people, it may be a better choice than regular mainstream cleaning products.
Here's to hoping in the next incarnation of green cleaning products on the mainstream market, there will be even better alternatives. Just a few years ago, there was no Method, Mrs. Meyer's, or GreenWorks. Maybe in a few more years, there will be stuff with no artificial preservatives at all!

Keeping my fingers crossed ...
#16 of 37 Old 01-16-2008, 10:06 AM

I'll have to pick some up the next time I need some new cleaners! ::

Susan- Vegetarian Single Mom to 9 year old twins!!
#17 of 37 Old 01-16-2008, 03:38 PM

Slightly OT, but has anyone seen the Clorox commercial where they are talking about how safe it is? There's a part in the commercial where a woman sprays the lip of her trash can with clorox and her tv daughter rubs her bare arm in it as she's putting something in the trash! My mom and I were like ???

No bleaching babies, ty.

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#18 of 37 Old 01-16-2008, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Vinegar, salt, baking soda and essential oils are still cheaper. Besides, I can buy a bottle of Biokleen All Purpose Cleaner that makes 25 gallons of cleaner for less than $8.

I'll stick w/that and not support a mega-corporation, thank-you-very-much.
#19 of 37 Old 01-16-2008, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Curious View Post
Vinegar, salt, baking soda and essential oils are still cheaper. Besides, I can buy a bottle of Biokleen All Purpose Cleaner that makes 25 gallons of cleaner for less than $8.

I agree its much cheaper! I bought it mainly for reviewing for others (i.e. more commercially minded people who wont go crunchy for $$ and laziness reasons) and will probably use them up now that I have them. But I do have high hopes that maybe some of those less inclined to use green products may at the very least try this premixed solution. It may cost more, but to some it may be worth it to not mix (though I dont think vinegar and water mixing is an awfully tedious process - LOL!)

#20 of 37 Old 01-16-2008, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamavegan View Post
Slightly OT, but has anyone seen the Clorox commercial where they are talking about how safe it is? There's a part in the commercial where a woman sprays the lip of her trash can with clorox and her tv daughter rubs her bare arm in it as she's putting something in the trash! My mom and I were like ???

No bleaching babies, ty.
Yeah that is pretty terrible. How about the one where she prays the baby's high chair with the baby in it...you know that child just inhaled half that spray!

#21 of 37 Old 01-17-2008, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_Mother View Post
I agree its much cheaper! I bought it mainly for reviewing for others (i.e. more commercially minded people who wont go crunchy for $$ and laziness reasons) and will probably use them up now that I have them. But I do have high hopes that maybe some of those less inclined to use green products may at the very least try this premixed solution. It may cost more, but to some it may be worth it to not mix (though I dont think vinegar and water mixing is an awfully tedious process - LOL!)
I don't really understand that but I know it's true!
#22 of 37 Old 01-17-2008, 02:16 PM

It's because vinegar smells like vinegar and I'm having a hard time finding EO's to add to it. If I can buy a cleaner that works, smells great and is 99% natural, I'd buy it. Call me lazy. I don't care.
#23 of 37 Old 01-17-2008, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Heather*** View Post
It's because vinegar smells like vinegar and I'm having a hard time finding EO's to add to it. If I can buy a cleaner that works, smells great and is 99% natural, I'd buy it. Call me lazy. I don't care.
We use Orange Oil in our vinegar solution. You do have to shake it though before spraying. And a plus, is that orange oil not only smells yummy, ants dont like it!

#24 of 37 Old 01-18-2008, 02:51 AM

Quote:

I am totally with you there! I could never part with my homemade cleaners- they are so fresh and I know EXACTLY what is in them! Plus I can change the fresh scent whenever I make a new batch for just cents!
#25 of 37 Old 01-18-2008, 11:41 AM

This is great for people like my mom who are interested in doing better things for our planet, but not motivated enough to go out of their way or weirded out by anything 'unconventional'. I figure that using this stuff is way better than their regular cleaning crap and it might possibly motivate them to seek out other ways to do their part. Hopefully for many people, this will provide a little oomph to what could be a snowball effect.
#26 of 37 Old 01-18-2008, 07:56 PM

I've tried the all purpose dilutable cleaner, the glass and surface cleaner, and the toilet cleaner. I really like the toilet cleaner and the all purpose cleaner (I wiped down my kitchen cabinets and walls, stove, and fridge with it). The glass cleaner works well, but I'll probably stick with my homemade concoction.
I think it's a good thing, and I agree that people who have been branded (including me ) by all the media we've been exposed to will find comfort in the trusted Clorox brand, and also feel good about pruchasing a green cleaner. These products aren't chemically at all, they don't smell suspiciously artificial like Mrs. Meyers, and they are gentle on my hands and fingernails.
I will most likely go back to Bi-o-Kleen (which they now carry at "my" Kroger) all purpose cleaner, and go back to my squirt of Dr. B's + borax + baking soda in the toilet, but I don't have anything bad to say about the Clorox products.

so many roads to ease my soul...

#27 of 37 Old 01-18-2008, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamama View Post
I've tried the all purpose dilutable cleaner, the glass and surface cleaner, and the toilet cleaner. I really like the toilet cleaner and the all purpose cleaner (I wiped down my kitchen cabinets and walls, stove, and fridge with it). The glass cleaner works well, but I'll probably stick with my homemade concoction.
I think it's a good thing, and I agree that people who have been branded (including me ) by all the media we've been exposed to will find comfort in the trusted Clorox brand, and also feel good about pruchasing a green cleaner. These products aren't chemically at all, they don't smell suspiciously artificial like Mrs. Meyers, and they are gentle on my hands and fingernails.
I will most likely go back to Bi-o-Kleen (which they now carry at "my" Kroger) all purpose cleaner, and go back to my squirt of Dr. B's + borax + baking soda in the toilet, but I don't have anything bad to say about the Clorox products.
LOL! You reviewed them about the same as I did on my blog. Though I haven't had a chance to use the dilutable cleaner yet. I am figuring to use that on the floors. I love the all purpose (though when its gone I will probably go back to my vinegar for $$ reasons) and the toilet stuff. The bathroom surface cleaner is like the same as the all purpose but the toilet stuff was pretty impressive and even better than our normal stuff!

#28 of 37 Old 01-18-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:

: Although, I do love Seventh Generation's stuff, when i don't feel like making anything.

Christy wash.gif Mom to DS 4/21/04 reading.gif DD 9/20/09  dust.gif DD 7/2/11jog.gif

#29 of 37 Old 01-18-2008, 09:53 PM

we just bought the allpurpose cleaner last night cuz it was cheaper than simple green. we havent used it yet though

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#30 of 37 Old 01-19-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Heather*** View Post
I hope they're available in Canada. I have the hardest time finding all the green cleaners etc that are sold in the USA.
Have you seen the bio-life line at Shoppers Drug Mart? They are on sale right now for $2.49 for the cleaners, $4.99 for the detergent (or at least it is here). The all purpose cleaners smell heavenly and work really well! I dilute them half and half like I do all my cleaners to stretch it.

http://www.canada.com/topics/lifesty...8-c5643f1c4508

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page