I wish it were mine... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-18-2008, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
oh ladies I found this on Flickr and I gotta tell you it makes me drool. This house has quite a bit in it but its so organized and beautiful....well just look you'll see what I mean.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chezlar...7603439433970/

I can only dream...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2008, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just saw that a few days ago. I do love some aspects but some of it is visually too busy for my tastes.

Keep in mind, she has only one child, who is twelve.

Still, it is beautiful.

Kath contented vegan mama to my trio of free-range boys
Permaculture Design Student & Wannabe Urban Homesteader
Old 01-19-2008, 12:23 AM

That was fun to look at! I love the white with bright colors as accents. Love the bedroom. They have A LOT of collections, but they are so organized and displayed nicely. Like a pp said, a little too busy to be calming to my eye, but very nice all the same. Maybe when I have less stuff, other people having so much stuff won't bug me as much! lol

so many roads to ease my soul...

Old 01-19-2008, 01:42 AM

i love all the colors BUT for me its wayy too much stuff out in the open
Im a kept it simple gal and to me even though its all organized it looks cluttered... I rather have it all hidden in a closet

Shelly, Mom to Sophia 5 Nicholas 3 & 2 Angels
Its a GIRL! Alyssa Ann 6/29/10 7lbs 5 oz
Old 01-19-2008, 03:01 AM

I hate it! I think it looks like one big IKEA catalog. And I like that look...the fact that someone lives in this house freaks me out. It is too damn cutesy poo. Everything is just so. What is with the wrapped slim boxes on the desk? Who organizes their books in their bookcase BY COLOR? It looks neurotic to me. Remember that Kathy Bates movie Misery--"I'm your biggest fan!" Remember when James Caan moves the penguin figurine and it is no longer facing south, or north or whatever direction that it was supposed to be...this house reminds me of that. I would feel very uncomfortable there.

I just want to add that I can see how someone would like it--it is very colorful and cheerful. Just, not for me.

Crunchy check list:  2 homebirths (one accidental UC!), co-slept, no CIO, cloth diapers, home/un school, raw milk drinker (!) I am a walking cliche!! I even blog and knit...
Old 01-19-2008, 03:21 AM

There are too many knick-knacky things for me, but I do think it looks very organized.

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Old 01-19-2008, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradbg View Post
Who organizes their books in their bookcase BY COLOR? It looks neurotic to me.

LOL!! ME!!! I can justify it though-- they are all birth books- so it's not like they need to be arranged by topic or anything.

I love the white/bright contrast-- all I could think of was "wow, they spent alot of money on organization systems!"
It's cute though.

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:14 AM

I thought it was all very eye appealing, whimsical and cute but I could not live like that. Too organized and, organized, lol! I too was thinking they spent a lot of money on organization systems.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
For me the appeal was being able to hang on to things you love, even though they don't have any use, and be able to enjoy them, but still have a neat and organized house. I agree its to "perfect" but it was the overall idea. And great idea for organizers, even if she has to many, you could utilize an idea or two out of it.

See the positive ladies!!
Old 01-19-2008, 01:44 PM

nice, very IKEA , kitschy cute , but too "white" for me
I *personally* like natural wood, and more functional "stuff" (HA!! with 3 kiddos that is tough!)
here is my house-
http://greentaramama.com/vermonthouseforsale.html

michelle
Old 01-19-2008, 02:06 PM

How many freakin' gifts does she need to wrap? I can't imagine wasting a single square foot of my house on a space dedicated to gift wrapping. Or colour coding my books.

It is very clean and organized though. Still too many tchotckes.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Makes 4 View Post
How many freakin' gifts does she need to wrap? I can't imagine wasting a single square foot of my house on a space dedicated to gift wrapping. Or colour coding my books.

It is very clean and organized though. Still too many tchotckes.
: It was fun to look at but not my style at all. Way too cutesy, too many knicknacks, etc.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

Old 01-19-2008, 02:38 PM

I was just looking at the pictures again and I do wish it were mine.

First thing I would do would be to get a big box and donate all the tchotckes to charity. Then I would change her gift wrapping station into a home office and mess up all the books.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:59 PM

There are some nice features to it, but overall I would say too many knick knacks and too much white. I like warm, relaxing colors.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentara_mama View Post
I *personally* like natural wood, and more functional "stuff" (HA!! with 3 kiddos that is tough!)
here is my house-

michelle
ooh. i really like the hardwood floors, too, and your blue paint in the bathroom makes me envious (we are currently in an apartment we can't paint).
Old 01-19-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentara_mama View Post
here is my house-

michelle
In that one picture, of the porch with lovely views is that a real bird flying by the window? Or just a really cool effect because either way that looks awsome! Your house is really beautiful!
Old 01-19-2008, 11:39 PM

The first thing I thought was... what a great idea... arrange books by color! I liked the color with the white. I don't actually like the stuff in it though. I do love the upstairs bathroom though.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:00 AM

looks great, but not my style. the kid portraits on canvas look like they were done with lasertran, which reminds me I need to do mine.

I hope the home owner gets a discount at the container store, i walk in there and spend a fortune just looking at things. Ic an't imagine the cost of buying all of the organizational things the home owner has.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:09 AM

I flipping loved that house. Someday. I will have cute little things and white furniture. Someday.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:08 AM

I thought it was very Ickia as my London friends call IKEA. Whilst it was very clean it looked kinda sterile,yet it was colorful. It was very NY loft apartmentish.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:16 AM

I think it's pretty. While not exactly my style, something about looking at those photos made me go crazy in my kitchen and back playroom. So, thanks!

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

Old 01-20-2008, 12:49 PM

I love the white furniture. I have a white sofa (slipvocers-- can be washed and hung outside int he sun. Always looks fresh) and it's so soothing to look at! I like how she encorporated her collections -- I like that people have those. It seems so old fashioned and fun.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:19 PM

While quite lovely..my 5 kids and white...not quite as lovely...lol
Old 01-20-2008, 03:37 PM

Too many tchotckes for me (I wouldn't want to have to dust them every week) but the way she has grouped them by color keeps them from looking cluttered, and makes them function as collections...much easier on the eye.

Very pretty and restful overall, although I can't imagine white slipcovers with my busy DS...I'd be vacuuming and steam-cleaning like a maniac.

Cindy, part-time family doc, full-time Mommy to Jared (2/04) and Connor (2/08) :
Old 01-20-2008, 06:38 PM

well it sure is organized... but not really my style. I have a problem with keeping little knick-knacks around so I don't have much room to talk... although it seem a little too modern for my taste.

Button 08-12-09 

Baby Vi 05-18-11

Old 01-20-2008, 06:57 PM

I'd say this person is a really good stylist. I see the same items in different places in different pictures, so he/she obviously thought about where to place things and the colors before taking the shot. I'd like to see this persons' house on a Sunday night when everybody has been home the entire weekend.
But I like the colors, the bird pictures that are on the wall and I'd love to have so little "stuff" !

Christine, SAHM to DD ('05), DS1 ('07) and : DS2 ('09)
Old 01-20-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradbg View Post
Who organizes their books in their bookcase BY COLOR?
Me, actually! I got the idea from a magazine...Domino I think, and I love the way it looks! I have my cookbooks color blocked that way.

I hope the poor woman who's photos those were doesn't come across this post! There were some pretty harsh critiques.

I think it looks great! Loved the framed bottle caps and the home office area (where the wrapped gifts are).

=================
Mama to DS 5/03 & DD 2/06 (HBAC!)
: ICAN "Birth is the epicenter of women’s power." ~Ani DiFranco
Old 01-21-2008, 01:11 AM
p.s

although not my personal style, I do agree that this is a very lovely home, and enjoyed peeking. Thank you very much for sharing your find!
Old 01-21-2008, 01:41 PM

A very artistic and stylish home...thanks so much for sharing the link. I really enjoyed looking thru the photos!

For me, there is not one kind of style that I prefer. (Right now I'm in a midcentury modern period but my furniture isn't. ) I have seen many beautiful houses over the years, and my own style has changed as I've gotten older. So I appreciate a wide variety of homes, from country cozy, shabby chic, modern, traditional, whatever. I love seeing how others arrange their living spaces.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:00 PM

of course, it isn't going to be to everyone's liking...what a dull world we would be in. however, i LOVE it. we organise our books by colour too because seriously, it is horrendous to look at otherwise. it becomes sculptural this way...and we've got lots of books, but not enough that you can't find them. at any rate, when i look for a book, it is always the blue one i'm looking for, not the title

i love the use of white, in a small space it just makes things work so nicely, imo. she does have collections...we have different kinds. i think she's used her space very, very well. envy!!!

thanks for showing us!

User Tag List