Give me counter top organizational ideas for "junk counter". - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-19-2008, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a rather large kitchen, 5 major counter spaces, including an island. 4 of those are used for food prep, storage, and display of kitcheny nick knacks. The small counter in the corner, as of late, is where all the junk ends up. Phone chargers, mail, loose change, pens, note pads, receipts, that kind of stuff.

I'm in need something decorational, and functional, to organize this stuff. Something to put the change in, something to put the mail in, something to hold the electronics, etc.

I want to get it today, so nothing that has to be ordered online. I need ideas of where to look, or what to get. I was thinking of a tiered file holder, maybe in a rattan or wicker? I've seen those at office depot.

I don't know, I'm at total loss, but it's driving me nuts.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#2 of 5 Old 01-19-2008, 04:04 PM

We have one of those too, and it drives me insane. We don't even have that much counter space to spare. Unfortunately we bought a house w/a drawerless kitchen. That's right not one drawer. So now we have a junk counter.

When you think of something please share. Meanwhile I feel your pain.
#3 of 5 Old 01-19-2008, 04:55 PM

We have a junk drawer and that is where our pens and some receipts are kept, mail is kept in a basket on top of the fridge and we also have a small plastic dish up there and that is where the spare change goes (oh and our phone chargers go in the junk drawer OR the go in our hall closet.)
I am sure you could find something at Target though if you are looking for something to put on the counter for this stuff.
Good luck!

Anna
#4 of 5 Old 01-19-2008, 05:12 PM

I used to have this problem, here is what I did:

I try to keep any "office" type things in our office area. This includes pens and reciepts. However, I do have a drawer in my kitchen where I now keep my instruction manuals, appliance or renovation reciepts, and warrenties. They are all separated by ziploc bags. As for mail, As soon as the mail comes in, it gets filed into the filing cabinet. That way it also helps us to keep on top of bills because we are not always searching for them. If it is junk mail or if it is no longer needed it gets shredded or put into our recycling box. It is nice to have a pen in the kitchen, and we have a basket where we keep ONE pen, keys, sunglasses, etc. A basket such as this could be placed on the counter or onto a shelf in the kitchen. Electronics - well I suppose it depends on what type of electronics you mean. If you mean your ipod or mp3 player, I would keep that in the basket as well. If its like extention cords or something of that nature I would keep all of those types of things together in a large tubberware or rubbermaid tub somewhere else in the house.

I guess my advice over all is to not have a "junk" counter or drawer. If everything has a place, then there is no need for an area such as that.

Hope this helps!
#5 of 5 Old 01-19-2008, 05:28 PM

I try to keep the island in my kitchen totally clear. But I do have another area where stuff collects. I try to file everything in a lateral file cabinet that we have, but I don't always get to it. So I have three boxes with lids that I got from organized living or somewhere like that. One box is for bills and urgent things. Bills go into that immediately when I open the mail. One box is for things that I look at frequently. It is mostly kids and their school stuff like newsletters, yearbook order form, sport schedules. I have a couple take out menus in there also. The last box is just an empty box that I stash things in when I am in a hurry but want the house to look neat. Mostly I put magazines or mail in there that I haven't gotten to yet. I clean it out asap and it is "empty" again.

Before I had the "system" (too important a word for 3 boxes!) I thought I would file things immediately. But honestly, I don't always file them right away even tho I should. So the boxes have worked for me. They have lids and are all the same color (black). My kitchen looks a lot neater with the boxes.

As far as chargers and stuff like that, we have a wicker basket with a lid tucked away in the living room. There is a power strip on the floor and I put all the electronics in the basket and the cords can stick out the top and be charged on the strip. We definitely don't have room for the electronics in our kitchen. Good luck with finding a solution.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page