making ds's bed more visually appealing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-22-2008, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
probably sounds odd and unnecessarily picky, but...we are cosleepers and our oldest who is 3 recently moved to a mattress on the floor of our room. it's a temporary setup of a full size mattress (we had one in our playroom and decided to try that before we went out and bought a bed he refused to use and we'd have to store...) SO - the problem is two-fold.
1) i have a hard time with the mattress on the floor with mismatching bed linens in my bedroom . i know that sounds ridiculous, but...(i'm a bit of a perfectionist and this just looks too "un-together" for me. that's hard to say.)
2) he wants a fort/tent type setup. so we currently have 2 big dark green flannel sheets tacked to the walls (we live in a log house with interior logs exposed) and into the surrounding dresser drawers and anchored to the ceiling with the help of a diaper pin and some twine. OMG! this is crazy looking but he LOVES it and it has, i think, been instrumental in him actually wanting to sleep there.
my question is HOW CAN I MAKE THIS LOOK BETTER until we decide exactly how we want to proceed (new bed)? any tips from those of you who have your kiddos in your room in a separate bed? any tips for making a less goofy looking fort on the bed?
thanks!
#2 of 2 Old 01-22-2008, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i don't know what to tell you about the bedding. i guess i would just go with white or some other coordinating solid color.

for the tent though . . . you can use a hula hoop to make a mosquito-netting-style canopy that attaches to the ceiling. if your green sheets have a slot at the top edge (where that thicker hem is, know what i mean?) you can just cut the hula hoop once and slide the sheet(s) onto it, like putting a curtain on a curtain rod. that way you don't have to cut or sew anything. it would be open at the top - i guess you could just tie on some kind of strap and hang it from a hook on the ceiling. oh, tape the hula hoop back together of course.

if you want to devote more time, you could sew this from any fabric that would like nice in your room. or, if you're willing to spend the money, you can make it with curtains that coordinate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page