Internet Preventing a Nice House?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 84 Old 01-28-2008, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know I can't be the only one who ends up spending hours one here. I have decided to take a break from the internet and allow myself to get on here only 15 minutes a day to check important things. I'm doing this for a week. I can't be the only addict on here Would anyone like to join me in this challenge?

Also, if you are on the internet a lot, but keep a nice house, how do you do it? How do you spend enough time with your kid/s? I am way outa control and could use some tips. Set a timer???

I am looking forward to the improvements in my house. I get a lot done on many days when I'm still on the computer a lot, so if I stay off for a week....WOw I could get soooo much done I bet!!!!

Anyone else with me? Am I the only one

Married to wonderful DH 10 yrs DS 9yrs self-weaned @ 3 1/2 yrs  TTC 3 yrs got preg 4 months after HSG with DS 4yrs self-weaned at 3 1/2 yrs  Hope to have more little ones but have secondary infertility issues so we'll just have to see what the future brings Enjoying homeschooling and farming
#2 of 84 Old 01-28-2008, 02:09 PM

no...you're not the only one. and it is a source of frustration for dh (that i do this). pretty much, when the babies are happily occupied, i'm on here doing one thing or another.

i need to stick with some internet boundaries myself.
#3 of 84 Old 01-28-2008, 04:10 PM

:sheepishlyraisesherhand:

Yeah, I'm with you. I'm getting better though. I've started setting a timer for ten minutes for all kinds of things. I set it for the internet, for cleaning, pretty much everything but playing with my kids.
#4 of 84 Old 01-28-2008, 09:54 PM

i really realized the impact of the internet on my days when the internet was out for 3 days, my house was cleaner, i had more stuff caught up, DH and i spent more time together in the evenings. i tend to get like sucked in to stuff and before i know it an hour has gone by! yeah..............i need a timer to limit myself. do you think i could find one at goodwill?
#5 of 84 Old 01-28-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandeCobb View Post
.i need a timer to limit myself. do you think i could find one at goodwill?
I've bought them at goodwill before, but you might have one in your cell phone, or already built in to the computer. We can also use our microwave as a timer.

I need to join you all too.
#6 of 84 Old 01-29-2008, 01:28 AM

Yeah, me too. I've been better the past few days though. I've been motivated to do some decorating so I'll feel more comfortable inviting people over to visit, so I haven't been online as much. It's nice to look around your home and feel satisfied. I've been thinking of using a timer too. It'd also help if I only got online after my son goes to bed. I homeschool and I spend too much time online while my son watches too much TV. But MAN, 15 minutes???? I don't know if I can handle that. I might try for 30 minutes a day and wean myself down.

One thing that motivates me to clean is to reward myself and clean in short spurts. I watch TV and clean during commercials. I clean for a little while and then read a chapter in a book. Then I clean some more before reading another chapter. So I guess that could work for being online too.

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#7 of 84 Old 01-29-2008, 04:35 AM

LOL So far the consensus seems to be "Yes." One of my favorite signatures of an MDC mom is (something like) MDC: The real reason your house is a mess.

I too am sure I could spend more time cleaning if I didn't get absorbed in reading online. Not only that I'd get more sleep. I say that as I type at 2:30 a.m. At least my kids are night owls, so I can expect to sleep until 9, so that isn't as bad as it looks.

But yes, I will join you all in the effort to reduce the amount of time online, to spend more time playing with my kids and decluttering and decorating my boring disorganized house!

Michele, mom of DD 5/01, DD 11/03, and DS 11/06

http://michelepixels.com/

#8 of 84 Old 01-29-2008, 05:21 AM

I do all my house work, cooking, mommy stuff during the day, internet at night or during naps.

I had to find my balance, Now that it's just family during the day stuff is settling down. I have been on a mean cleaning spree since January 1st (check the sig)
#9 of 84 Old 01-29-2008, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

I have learned so much from being on line and reading like crazy, but I just need to take a break from it. I figure if I can start out strict for this week (15 min) and get caught up on the house then next week I can extend it to 30. I need to get up before my son does and have my computer time because as you mentioned above he ends up watching too much tv and he gets mad at me for being on here. He's only 3 and needs my attention. Also, we are going to homeschool so I need to be spending time with him reading and stuff just like we will be doing by next fall. I'm so scatterbrained.
The internet and MDC have been very good for me. I need to find a balance so that it remains a blessing and not a problem
Glad I'm not alone in this
I did good yesterday with the time limit and it made me happy to feel I was doing the right thing. I got our bedroom straightened and the 1 inch of dust removed from our dressers. I also got the kitchen sparkling again I ALSO went to bed before midnight and I feel great! I haven't been sleeping well so I would get up and start reading online and read way longer than I needed to.
Thanks for the suggestions!
Post and tell what you are accomplishing so we can all be encouraged! Then get off of here

Married to wonderful DH 10 yrs DS 9yrs self-weaned @ 3 1/2 yrs  TTC 3 yrs got preg 4 months after HSG with DS 4yrs self-weaned at 3 1/2 yrs  Hope to have more little ones but have secondary infertility issues so we'll just have to see what the future brings Enjoying homeschooling and farming
#10 of 84 Old 01-29-2008, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

:: back to work.........

#11 of 84 Old 01-29-2008, 01:00 PM

sigh. ok, ok....me too

i've been on here now for 35 minutes. guess i need to sign off and get busy.
back later... oh, say 20 minutes or so?
#12 of 84 Old 01-29-2008, 01:02 PM

I am with you!
For the last few years i've been addicted to this machine!
Since a few months ago I have been limiting myself to one hour a day in little intervals...
Its working out great
my house however, is still not clean but im pregnant and nauseous so I have an excuse
oh and yayy for simons
#13 of 84 Old 01-30-2008, 12:01 AM

I suck at this...actually just blogged about a recent, ahem, addiction to my work email.

I don't do well with timers and such. What I am trying to do is to turn off the computer when I'm not at it so I'm not tempted to check in.

I am also working at not getting "off task" when online-- so that I don't go to X and then to Y and Z, only to find AB and C.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#14 of 84 Old 01-30-2008, 03:27 AM

Oh boy am I guilty of this! My house isn't TOO bad (it's small and pretty well decluttered) but I often feel guilty about the amount of time I spend on here instead of WITH my boys. They aren't sitting around staring at me bored, they're playing, pretending, using the computer themselves etc... but I'm not doing it with them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I don't do well with timers and such. What I am trying to do is to turn off the computer when I'm not at it so I'm not tempted to check in.

I am also working at not getting "off task" when online-- so that I don't go to X and then to Y and Z, only to find AB and C.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!
I like your idea of actually turning the computer OFF. I think I will start turning both of ours off so *I* don't sit down at any given chance.. and maybe mr 6yo will stop nagging constantly about playing his games on dads if they are OFF.

I have made a good effort I think today... my 6yo made banana bread (with my help & supervision) then he proceeded to eat about 1/3 of it , we washed the dishes & tidied up his room, and read his excellent pirate book

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#15 of 84 Old 01-30-2008, 03:32 AM

I took a week off the computer and I was astonished at what I was able to get done. Good luck. I hope you see a big difference in your home!
#16 of 84 Old 01-30-2008, 03:54 AM

My son recommended I give up MDC for Lent () and it got me thinkin'. But that's 40 days! What about all my threads that I recently posted? Can I survive without the answers? Oh, the drama of it all!

Edited to say that I am still trying to decide how I will limit my MDC time.

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#17 of 84 Old 01-30-2008, 04:03 AM

Hah! I don't know if I have the willpower... After the kids go to bed, I turn into a message board addict... housework is definitely suffering....

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#18 of 84 Old 01-30-2008, 06:00 AM

I often jump on the net as a way of avoiding housework, because I'm so tired. I stare at the screen and mostly just read, too tired to put words together that would be coherent enough to make a positive contribution to the forums I enjoy. In reality, if I went to bed earlier and got more sleep, I would have more energy the next day, the house would be in better shape, and my internet time would be shorter but perhaps more satisfying. Easier said than done.
#19 of 84 Old 01-30-2008, 06:07 AM

If you use Firefox, you can use the pageaddict extension
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3685
#20 of 84 Old 01-30-2008, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yup. The problem is, my pitiful attempts at making money from home all involve the computer. MechTurk, Suite 101, entering my competitions (which is probably a mini-addiction of its own--sad, no?!), checking for mystery shopping jobs etc, all require me to be online. And while I'm there, I figure I might as well chat to DH online, check MDC, check my other forums... and thus the hours pass.

I did get quite a bit accomplished today though. We shall see.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#21 of 84 Old 01-30-2008, 08:31 AM

I just joined MDC at the beginning of Jan...very quickly became an addict. The other side of it is the inspiration I have found by reading these forums and finding some really helpful suggestions. I am hoping to balance the computer time and use it more as areward when I have accomplished some other tasks. I busted out some serious housework yesterday and turned off the computer so I wouldn't check it so often. This am the kids have a 2hr delay so I am going to limit this time and hang with them. Here's to haviing the willpower to do it!
#22 of 84 Old 01-30-2008, 09:08 AM

:

I am very guilty of this! I could spend hours on here just reading! I don't know what to do though, as it's a very strong addiction. Once I sign off, I just keep thinking about the next time I can get on here. I really need help. I lie to DH when he calls & asks what I'm doing . It's really bad.

#23 of 84 Old 01-30-2008, 09:52 AM

ooops here it is almost 8 and I have only stopped reading to make the dd's some eggs: this is my last post until the older DD's are off to school and DD#3 is napping. I need to get going await...once those are done more MDC
#24 of 84 Old 01-30-2008, 11:13 AM

Yep, once i found MDC I have been hooked. However I feel like a major SLUG when I spend too much time onlince. I have learned so much on here and it has renewed my desire for living a simpler life and making a small footprint. But I also realize that if I am on the computer and not living then everything has backfired.

So, for the past 3 weeks, I have been living this schedule and I feel great:
6am-7am wake up, shower, do hair/makeup, get dressed, start load of laundry, prep breakfast
7-7:30 go for walk outside
7:30-8:30 bfast with kiddos, drink a cup of tea, empty dishwasher, clean up after bfast, advance laundry, check calendar

dc1 is 17 - she gets herself up and out of the house in the am
dc2&3 are 5 & 3. They get up sometime between 6-7am. If we had nighttime accident, they take a morning bath. Then they get dressed and brush teeth before they can eat or have milk. I lay out their clothes before my walk.

My dh works from home so while he isn't helping in the am, he is here so that I can have my walk.

Once the morning routine is complete, I feel free to get online to check email and MDC. I found I am spending between 1/2 to 1 hour online while the boys play. They go to afternoon school, so I may check the computer again in the afternoon, but never after dinner.

MDC does rock!
Maggie
#25 of 84 Old 01-30-2008, 11:28 AM

I do have to acknowledge I spend an inordinate amount of time online...but I have a schedule I try and follow and intersperse that with breaks for net surfing! So far...so good.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#26 of 84 Old 01-30-2008, 11:53 AM

If it wasn't the internet, it would be something else...reading...tv...kids...whatever. I'm a master at avoiding housework and will use anything to distract myself from it. I would like to spend less time online, but it's hard!
#27 of 84 Old 01-30-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamagotchi View Post
If you use Firefox, you can use the pageaddict extension
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3685
thanks for this link! i have already started using it!
#28 of 84 Old 01-30-2008, 01:52 PM

Hi my name is Brandy and I am an internet addict.

Actually I sodl our previous computer and cancelled internet for 3 years, but it didn't help, I just went to my moms daily under the guise of checking emails. I get on to feed the baby first thing in teh am, and sit here for a few hours. I do use it to avoid housework, I do however have it set up int eh kitchen so I can still teach the kids and supervise their lessons and be online.

Today once I get up off this chair I am making myself stay offline for 2 hours or until baby wakes back up which ever happens first.

Brandy Single momma to A(11), C(10), H(6) and I(2)
:
#29 of 84 Old 01-31-2008, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
I took a week off the computer
Just reading that made me feel like I was going to hyperventilate . I can't even think about it let alone try to do it. I'm really addicted to my three sites.
#30 of 84 Old 02-01-2008, 11:48 PM

This was one of my new year's resolutions and I have failed MISERABLY. The rest of them I did quite well on so far, but the Internet addiction... 'tis terrible. I'm not going to limit myself to 15 minutes for this next week but I will limit myself to twice a day instead of jumping on here on and off all day. Baby steps, you know?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page