Forum Jump: 

Old 03-03-2008, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose angel View Post
Very very inspiring!
Just curious, how do you deal with making sure the family folders get emptied regularly?
I'm not her, but I use a similar system. On my daily schedule I have time alloted to review each day, that way I thumb through it and get rid of stuff as I go along. My shredder is nearby and I can dump stuff pretty quickly. I also am pretty ruthless about what actually goes in the folder to begin with.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
What about keeping track of things to do? I feel like I always have an enormously long, unruly list of things to do, scribbled on 15 scraps of paper, like call the insurance agent, clean the humidifier, sign up DS for soccer, etc, etc. I take care of my grandmother and handle all her finances too, so I always have 101 things to do for her. And then I have lists, lists of errands to run, lists of books I want to look for at the library, lists, lists, lists. Do you keep stuff like that in your home management binder? Or would it be better to have that in a planner, or just a small notebook with a few sections? I feel like I need to write all this stuff down to keep my brain from overloading, but then I find that I write it down in many different places, and I need a central location for my brain on paper!! Would you use a separate planner that you can throw in the diaper bag and go with? Or a plain notebook maybe?
Thanks for the inspiration!
My friend typed up a really nice page for me. It has different sections on one page, like "what's for dinner", "things to do", "places to go", etc. I use a dry erase marker and write those things down in one color and also have a red marker so if things come up or are really important, I can jot them down. I do have a magnetic notepad on my refrigerator and whenever anything from the pantry or cabinets is used up, I write it on the list to help me compile my grocery list. I do usually take a little list in my wallet when I'm running errands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose angel View Post
Very very inspiring!
Just curious, how do you deal with making sure the family folders get emptied regularly?
We don't have the same system because I didn't want to put anything else on my kitchen counters (this is a really hard area for me and things seem to multiply quickly, so I strive to keep them almost empty), but I did have an unused six cubby sweater hanger for my closet. I put it in the closet when you come in from the garage. Each boy has one and I gave them a manilla folder to decorate. All their art and things go in the cubby and any papers for dh or I to look at they put in their folder. I check their folder every evening. We go through art at the end of each month and select things to keep. The things that aren't chosen (my son is actually really good at which things to keep and which to let go) go in recycling and the rest go in an accordian style case, with one section for each month and a larger front section where I keep things like report cards, school journals and other special things for the school year.

Theresa, you totally inspired me. I'm really happy with my home management binder. It isn't quite as I'd like yet, but the bulk of it is and I work on typing things out when I can.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Kristi, I'm so glad that it's helping you

For emptying the folders, I have time set aside on Sunday (usually before dinner, while I'm in the kitchen puttering) and I go through them then, with the boys and clear out what's uneeded. THe boys also go through their folders pretty much every morning, because if they have papers that need to go to school, etc, that's where I'll put them
Old 03-04-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittin' in the Shade View Post
Kristi, I'm so glad that it's helping you

For emptying the folders, I have time set aside on Sunday (usually before dinner, while I'm in the kitchen puttering) and I go through them then, with the boys and clear out what's uneeded. THe boys also go through their folders pretty much every morning, because if they have papers that need to go to school, etc, that's where I'll put them
I'll bet we'll get to something like that eventually. For now, the teacher sends home a red folder in everyone's backpack so anything they need to take is put in there. I'm sure if teachers don't use that system down the road though, we'll do as you mentioned.

It definitely is helping me! Even dh was super impressed. Usually he smiles politely at my organization. He knows it makes me happy but thinks some of it is a bit excessive. But he thought the HMB was genious! Mine isn't pretty on the inside yet, but I did splurge for a really pretty spring green color binder that I love, so it makes me happy to see it.

The binder along with my ten minute sessions of getting things done is really helping me. My kitchen counters are still something that I struggle with, but it's slowly getting better.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:28 PM

sorry, double post
Old 03-19-2008, 10:25 AM

Knittin' In the Shade, I tried to PM you, but your inbox is full

So glad I could make you smile.

After I PMed you, I got industrious (read: I was putting off doing other things [but I'd also gotten only about 4 hours sleep the night before due to insomnia]), and did search around and find your brain files. Now I just have to decide what to do with them! I probably have all the supplies I'd need to put together a binder, I'm just debating whether a binder is the best method for me. I never did well with Flylady's Control Journal, but we'll see. Pretty is better [she always says it doesn't have to be pretty ].

Thanks, Guru!
Old 11-19-2008, 05:18 AM

Just thought maybe this could use a bump.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:30 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 12-07-2008, 12:04 AM

What a great binder tutorial! I love the scrapbooking paper!

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.

User Tag List