Blog post on my home management binder - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 69 Old 01-29-2008, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know I've posted my brain files here before in a few threads, but a lot of y'all have asked me for a blog on my binder, so I've finlaly gotten that done: My Home Management Binder
#2 of 69 Old 01-29-2008, 02:29 PM

Great blog post! Thanks!
#3 of 69 Old 01-29-2008, 03:12 PM

Awesome! Love your binder, love that it is pretty, i have been meaning to do this for quite some time, but perfection and procrastination always gets in the way lol, ty for the motivation, i think i will do this today after i have finished all my chores and the kiddos are in bed.
#4 of 69 Old 01-29-2008, 04:18 PM

Fabulous! I love it. I'm much better at staying organized than I used to be, it's fun to see how other people get it all done.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#5 of 69 Old 01-29-2008, 04:18 PM

Love it! I really love how you made it not only functional but beautiful and fun.

I've been trying to do this forever and I think that might be the missing element. I have everything piled in a box. But I loooooove pretty paper, fun markers, etc and if I incorporate things such as this to the project maybe it will actually get done (and actually be usable!).

Thanks for sharing

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#6 of 69 Old 01-29-2008, 04:30 PM

Wow, what an amazing blog post! Thank you so much for sharing. I'm not sure if anyone else had trouble, but when I tried to open the Brain Files, it tells me it's invalid.

How did you get your pretty paper on the divider sheets? Is it just cut to the right size and then glued on?
#7 of 69 Old 01-29-2008, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfamily6 View Post
Wow, what an amazing blog post! Thank you so much for sharing. I'm not sure if anyone else had trouble, but when I tried to open the Brain Files, it tells me it's invalid.
Hmm-Maybe I did the link wrong? Here it is, just in case: littleturtleknits.com/brain_files.zip It's a zip file, so I think if you don't have unzipper program (like winzip) then maybe it won't work?
Quote:
How did you get your pretty paper on the divider sheets? Is it just cut to the right size and then glued on?

Yep, it's just 12 x 12 scrapping paper cut to size and double-sided sticky taped on (Oh, how I love double sided tape, LOL!)
#8 of 69 Old 01-29-2008, 05:12 PM

I got it now. Oh my gosh, thank you so so so much!!! This is great. I also have four boys. I work part time and have really been struggling to get organized. This made my day, thank you!
#9 of 69 Old 01-29-2008, 05:36 PM

Thanks again Theresa. I do have that periodic table in my (compared to yours...embarrassing!) binder. I haven't done anything with it though. I need to go through and personalize and get a better binder going here. I love the basket on the counter idea. I've been trying to find something to do with all the art stuff the kids do. And when dh goes through mail, he always just puts mine somewhere on the counter. It would be nice to have a folder for each family. Are those just manilla file folders? This would be great for my oldest too. He's in kindergarten and the teacher is working with the kids at unpacking their backpack at school and putting papers and things where they belong. It would be nice to mirror that at home and give him the responsibility instead of me unpacking it each day.

Another question, with your recipes or crafts to try, etc, do those go in a sheet protector as well (one per page)? Thanks!

ETA: Do you have a schedule for your day as well or do you just hit the ground running? I get home from work at 12:15, so that's when my at home day begins. I've struggled with finding a schedule because kids put a kink in it. But I'm curious about how you do it since you also have four kiddo's.
#10 of 69 Old 01-29-2008, 07:10 PM

Thank you so much for this! I started listing all of the household chores, and plan on using your plastic page holder idea!

Erin

Mama to DS 02/15/06, and DD born 08/31/09!
#11 of 69 Old 01-29-2008, 09:02 PM

Thank you! So inspiring I'm finally doing it!

I LOVE the dry-erase marker idea - that is what pushed me over today

Question: on your binder pockets, did you make some kind of extra pockets? It looks like the notecards are in front and the stuff-to-file has its own pocket behind that?

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#12 of 69 Old 01-29-2008, 09:08 PM

so great! thank you for sharing that theresa!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#13 of 69 Old 01-29-2008, 09:18 PM

i have a binder too but it's not as pretty as yours
in fact, it's downright neglected
but you've inspired me to get out some scrapbook paper and pretty it up

thanks for the great post!
#14 of 69 Old 01-29-2008, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so glad y'all are enjoying it, and SO happy that it's inspiring you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfamily6 View Post
Are those just manilla file folders? This would be great for my oldest too. He's in kindergarten and the teacher is working with the kids at unpacking their backpack at school and putting papers and things where they belong. It would be nice to mirror that at home and give him the responsibility instead of me unpacking it each day.
Yep, just plain manilla folders, they get replaced relatively often because they boys are brutal on everything (I'm sure you don't know anything about that in your house, LOL! ) A while ago I was telling one of the boy's teachers about my basket o'files, and she LOVED the idea, exactly because of what you said - it reinforces the responsibility thing they do at school.

Quote:
Another question, with your recipes or crafts to try, etc, do those go in a sheet protector as well (one per page)? Thanks!
Recipes, I've got in a completely seperate binder (that section got way to big in the main binder so I gave it a home all it's own, LOL!) But yes, I put them two to a sheet, back-to-back (so, the front side is one recipe/craft, turn the page and the backside is another recipe/craft) Once we've tried a recipe/craft, if it's a keeper I'll note on it when we tried it and how much we liked it. If it was a dud, int he recycling it goes!
Quote:
ETA: Do you have a schedule for your day as well or do you just hit the ground running? I get home from work at 12:15, so that's when my at home day begins. I've struggled with finding a schedule because kids put a kink in it. But I'm curious about how you do it since you also have four kiddo's.
I have a "routine" that revolves around the school drop-offs/pick-ups and naps, LOL! Plus, I've got business-related work that needs to get done. Generally, it goes something like this:

wake up, get dressed, get rusty, change diaper, prep breakfast
while the boys are eating breakfast, I unload the dishes from the dishwasher, then prep lunches
after they finish breakfast, I put the breakfast dishes in the washer, then go flip the laundry (there's ALWAYS laundry going in my house, as in yours, I'm sure!)
then it's upstairs to get everyone dressed/make beds, then off to school
usually right after that is when I go do whatever errands we might have, then preschool pickup on M, W, F, and home by lunchtime
prep lunch for littls guys, while they eat lunch I flip another load and bring the dry clothes up to fold at the table
we play for a bit after lunch, usually play doh or blocks, and then they go up for a nap, I do some business work (shipping, invoicing, etc) and then that's when I do whatever the day's brain tasks are, which usually leads me up to them waking up from nap. I get snacks, fold more laundry and usually putz around online a bit, then go to pick up the big guys at school
come home, start dinner prep while they do homework with me in the kitchen
after dinner DH usually does the dishes while I sweep the kitchen, hen one of us takes out the trash/recycling/compost then it's upstairs for me to put laundry away (with the two big boys' help)
while kids are in bathtub, I wipe out the sink and swish toilets/wipe toilets down
then it's down to basement for one last load of laundry in the wash, and relaxing with DH/reading/knitting (and let's face it, usually time on the computer and trying to get design work done, LOL!)

Quote:
Question: on your binder pockets, did you make some kind of extra pockets? It looks like the notecards are in front and the stuff-to-file has its own pocket behind that?
I didn't add any pockets, the binder has two tiered pockets on the front and back, which totally ROCK!
#15 of 69 Old 01-29-2008, 10:10 PM

Thank you for being so thorough in answering my questions. My oldest is 6 years old. I had really hoped to have this figured out by now. I'm doing better though, and think I need to place an order for Staples soon!
#16 of 69 Old 01-30-2008, 02:48 AM

Awesome! Thanks for posting that!!
#17 of 69 Old 01-31-2008, 01:25 PM

Thanks for posting this. I've been intending to do it and your post was just the kick in the pants I needed. I organized my cleaning, dividing it like you did into days. And I even got dh to take on the kitchen day because it fell on thursday which was his day with the kids.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#18 of 69 Old 01-31-2008, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
And I even got dh to take on the kitchen day because it fell on thursday which was his day with the kids.
SWEET! That's a nice little bonus, LOL!
#19 of 69 Old 01-31-2008, 09:25 PM

People who've been messy and figured out the hard way what works for them are sooo much better at teaching this stuff. For instance, you took pictures of everything I keep wishing I could see in other tidy people's pictures of their homes.
#20 of 69 Old 02-01-2008, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
People who've been messy and figured out the hard way what works for them are sooo much better at teaching this stuff. For instance, you took pictures of everything I keep wishing I could see in other tidy people's pictures of their homes.
I've never thought about that before, but you're so right! It's hard to understand how overwhelming it can feel unless you've actually been there, trying to figure it all out!
#21 of 69 Old 02-02-2008, 12:31 PM

Great organizer! I have one similar to it, but not as pretty.

In my pencil bag, I also have 3X5 index cards that I printed up like these (the ones that have the one large square border) that are so expensive at Levenger. I also made my own 3X5 "to do" cards like these. I've found that these cards help me keep track of things that are not on my daily or focused day tasks.

A couple of other things I have in my binder, that I didn't see in yours is a "private information" section and a medication section. If you are going to direct a babysitter to the binder for information, it's probably not good to have this information in there. My mother lives with us, so we don't use babysitters, and the binder never leaves the house, so I feel it's safe and convenient to keep this info in it. My dh is diabetic and my mother is elderly with a whole host of medical issues, so it's good to keep all of their medical information in one place in case we need it in an emergency. I don't keep things like passport info or dh's citizenship papers (he's a naturalized citizen) in the binder, but I do keep cc info and DL info.

I also have a section in mine for pantry. We keep 9 months - 1 year worth of food, including food that I have put up, put into long-term storage and frozen. I use the organizer to keep track of what needs to be used up and rotated out.

Yours has inspired me to make mine a little bit prettier, though. Yours is very, very nice. Good job!!
#22 of 69 Old 02-02-2008, 01:57 PM

Great blog entry! Thanks for sharing. This
Quote:
I realized that I needed to just buckle down and Do It.
was my favorite part. It has dawned on me recently that I need to stop procrastinating by tinkering with the "system" and bemoaning the impossibility of it all, and just mop the darned floor already!

I love your pixs on flickr, too Beautiful!
#23 of 69 Old 02-04-2008, 09:09 PM

It looks really great. My household notebook(s) are a work in progress and have been for years as I try out different things that work and don't work. I got a few good ideas from you. Thanks! Help! The crib sheet didn't come up when I clicked on it. It just came up with a photo of the cover. Also is there any chance of getting a copy of the article about what your kids should know by the time they are grown? I'm assuming that there isn't a link since you didn't post it and that you are too busy to type it in... but any chance I could pp you $ to make a copy and mail it to me? Pretty please with sugar on top? Thanks!

Katie, mama to Katherine 19, Christian 17, Johannah 15, Nicholas 10, Genevieve 8, Matthew 5, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with  my husband, Scott

#24 of 69 Old 02-04-2008, 10:59 PM

So it isn't a home management binder, but I'm working towards that. Today I bought three large binders. I put all of our manuals for things in sheet protectors. One binder has kitchen/washer and dryer stuff. The other two have electronics and my husbands music stuff. It is so much better than the box they were all haphazardly thrown in before!

I'm getting there on the binder. I am a perfectionist though and know I won't do it until I have my schedule just right and the right things purchased. So I'm trying my new cleaning plan for a couple weeks before typing it up.
#25 of 69 Old 02-05-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjane View Post
Great blog entry! Thanks for sharing. This was my favorite part. It has dawned on me recently that I need to stop procrastinating by tinkering with the "system" and bemoaning the impossibility of it all, and just mop the darned floor already!

I love your pixs on flickr, too Beautiful!
That's so true...it's like anything in life...when you're waiting for it to be perfect you'll never do it. You just have to jump in and do it!

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#26 of 69 Old 02-06-2008, 04:03 AM

Thanks to this thread (and your blog Theresa), and continuing to read the home management binder thread, I completely re-did my binder. After making it last summer/fall, and posting about it, I stopped using it because it wasn't very user friendly. So, I took your Brain File ideas and ran with them ... they have been tweaked to fit me and I'm totally jazzed, and so is dh.

My binder has these sections:
  • cool pencil case with extra pockets - I keep my memory cards in the little one
  • vital information
  • family routines
  • daily/weekly chores (though I named the section maintaining our home because I wanted it to sound nice )
  • fun with the kids (flyers to classes they want to do like at the museum, soccer schedules, etc)
  • calendar
  • kitchen witchery (where I'll keep my recipes for salves, tinctures, teas, plus herbal notes and garden updates
  • healthy eating (for menu ideas and recipes)
  • money management (I want to try and keep a monthly record of expenditures ... )
If I need to, I plan on adding a final section called "health and home" for articles, etc. I also have a couple business card holder sheets ... each sheet holds 10 business cards. I don't think I'll ever fill them, but for things like the contractor, our mortgage broker, etc., I want a place to keep them. I also plan on keeping our address book in a sheet protector in the back.

Thanks Theresa for the inspiration to get my bum in gear and get my binder fixed! Now to sleep ... tomorrow is change the bed sheets day!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#27 of 69 Old 02-06-2008, 04:16 PM

Thanks for starting the thread and blog. I have put together my 3" binder this week. I am still tweaking it and probably have too many sections, but can change that as I go.

Does everyone else have a calendar to take with you to make appts? I am just using a free one from the bank at this point. It is so nice to have all my home management paper in one place. It is also great to have the brain files written down and not just in my brain! It really helps with the rountine and makes things feel more concrete.

Maggie
#28 of 69 Old 02-06-2008, 08:09 PM

I used to have a small calendar that would fit in my purse when dh and I were seeing the chiropractor regularly. But, we don't now, and other than that, we don't have/make appointments. Ds#2 has a standing speech time, but other than that, we are appointment free, unless I'm make one for something specific, but I am usually at home when I do that, so I just write it down on our master calendar.

#29 of 69 Old 02-07-2008, 12:39 PM

I don't have to make appts often, but I find it nice to have a small calendar with me.

Also wanted to share my success. Yesterday while I was out, my dh was looking for a whiteout pen, looked all over, then thought to himself I bet she put it in that new binder she has. Sure enough he found what he was looking for and didn't call me! Small success, but it has only been in use for less than a week.

Makes me smile,
Maggie
#30 of 69 Old 02-07-2008, 12:58 PM

Yay for your dh finding what he needed in the binder!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page