February Decluttering Challenge! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 74 Old 02-01-2008, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The December Declutter Challenge was fab, but I totally slacked in January I'm ready to make up for it this month Anyone in?
#2 of 74 Old 02-01-2008, 02:58 PM

count me in! good luck mamas!

Chelsea, Christian, Wife to Trey, Mommy to Oliver (11/3/2005), Abner (5/01/2008) and Baby #3 ( Due 9/27/2010)
#3 of 74 Old 02-01-2008, 03:50 PM

I exceeded my goal in January and I want to keep the momentum going this month

I think I'll set my goal at 200 items.

I'm due at the end of this month/early March, so I'm hoping to get most of the de-cluttering done early, so I can relax near the end!

Today, I tossed a worn out pair of slippers and plan to attack the guest room closet later today.

1/200
#4 of 74 Old 02-01-2008, 04:39 PM

me too, though I am running out of things to declutter. I do have a closet I could go through today. I'll aim for 100 things this month.
#5 of 74 Old 02-01-2008, 05:56 PM

I'm in! I'm going to aim low though for 50 items... I've been doing so well I don't have much left go pitch!

SAM, momma to 3 beautiful babies: Tristan (5), Gabriel (4) , & Brighton (2)

#6 of 74 Old 02-01-2008, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yeah, I'm new and a chronic "re-user" so I'm setting the goal for 50 items, too. Better to exceed a low target than miss a high one (how's that for pessimism? I'm REALLY sick right now--so I can't even believe I'm thinking this is possible)

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#7 of 74 Old 02-01-2008, 07:22 PM

I'm in. I have pretty much decluttered every room except the office. I WILL get to that room before the end of the month.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#8 of 74 Old 02-01-2008, 09:39 PM

I'm in. I've been going on a decluttering rampage all week. Ahhh, it feels so nice.

Nicole | Mom to Ciara & Oliver | Finally living aboard & loving it!
#9 of 74 Old 02-01-2008, 09:59 PM

I'm in! I've already tackled the canning closet and tossed out 32 items. I'm aiming to declutter 300 items this month.

32/300

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#10 of 74 Old 02-01-2008, 10:05 PM

I would like to join in, please. Just last week (I know this counts for January) I went through my boys clothing and a little bit of mine. I bagged up SEVEN trash bags full of nice, good clothing for my mother to give to a family that could use it on her bus route (she asked in advance). It felt good to give the clothes to a family that can use them (I am pretty poor myself, and love hand-me-downs). I also had 2 more trash bags that I threw out because of tears, stains or just worn out.

I am going to try to get rid of 50 more items for the month of February.
#11 of 74 Old 02-01-2008, 10:48 PM

Hmm... seeing as I have about 1000 items ready to go out the door tomorrow, maybe I should shoot for 1300? I'm serious... maybe more than 1000 items. Clothes, fabric, ribbons, lace, yarn, dishes, towels, placemats, knick knacks, toys, kitchen gadgets, baby stuff.... sooo much!
#12 of 74 Old 02-01-2008, 11:25 PM

OOh, I'm in. I think I will aim for 350 items decluttered this month. Today I put 6 shirts and a pair of pants in the donate box so...
7/350.
#13 of 74 Old 02-02-2008, 01:23 AM

I'm in!!!

I need to do MAJOR work on this place. My goal for February is 500 items OUT OUT OUT!

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#14 of 74 Old 02-02-2008, 01:30 AM

What an interesting concept - My DH is a packrat, so it's difficult to get anything out of the house without him rescuing it (or looking for it later! Who would have thought he needed a specific size/color scrap of leather leftover from his HS leathercrafting days? Not I!). I did manage to toss about 30 wire hangers this morning, though.

Best of luck to all of you!

Andrea, daughter of the King, wife of Neil, Mama to Jackson 7/4/05 Nicholas 12/21/06 Ezekiel 5/9/08 and due June 14!
#15 of 74 Old 02-02-2008, 01:54 AM

I'm in. Still need to work on the basement. So much
clutter so little time.
#16 of 74 Old 02-04-2008, 10:40 AM

Been tackling the media cabinet this morning. 48 items gone so far!

80/300

#17 of 74 Old 02-04-2008, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

We finally got our list together this weekend
  • Maintain clear living room and dining room tables
  • Finish painting the crown molding in dressing room
  • Clean out and organize cabinet in dining room and shop for a new, more useful credenza
  • Paint and hang doorbell cover
  • Caulk and paint crown molding in dining room
  • Organize workbench in the basement
  • Go through and reorganize boxes in basement
  • Get rid of or put aside for spring yard sale 100 items

Whew. I'm glad February has an extra day this year!
#18 of 74 Old 02-04-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthasam View Post
I exceeded my goal in January and I want to keep the momentum going this month

It seems my momentum is fading fast :

Anyway, I have a few things posted and hopefully they will be gone by week's end. I did manage to catch up on my magazine pile this weekend -- all 9 are now gone.

10/200
#19 of 74 Old 02-04-2008, 01:36 PM
mtm

Ooh, I'm in. We've been on a huge decluttering binge since early December. Its time to hit the study and especially my desk again. Its definitely my junk collector area.
#20 of 74 Old 02-04-2008, 03:47 PM

I'm in for 200!
Goals: Go through kids books and laundry room. Attack DS closets!
#21 of 74 Old 02-04-2008, 04:58 PM

Well I far surpassed my goal already! I was aiming for 50 items, but cleaned out the bookshelf this morning and got 82! So I'm upping my goal to 150 items for the month

SAM, momma to 3 beautiful babies: Tristan (5), Gabriel (4) , & Brighton (2)

#22 of 74 Old 02-04-2008, 05:47 PM

I'm in for 200 this month. I'm already at 50. I tossed DD's old shoes and gave away some clothes. I need to do more clothes though.

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#23 of 74 Old 02-04-2008, 06:47 PM

Hi all, I am new to this group. I have been lurking for a while trying to get my house decluttered but I have only made a little progress. I think posting here is what I need to get it done.

I have divided my house (minus the office and craft closet) into 4 zones and I am going to try to declutter/clean 1 zone per week. The office and craft closet will probably take the whole month of March to do!

Feb 1st - 7th: Kitchen, Laundry Closet & Hall Bath
Feb 8th - 14th: Dining Room, Living Room & Hall Closet
Feb 15th - 21st: Master Bedroom, Bath & Closet
Feb 22nd - 29th: Girl's Bedroom & Closet

I am so excited about getting this finally done!
-Rebecca
#24 of 74 Old 02-04-2008, 08:33 PM

16 more from the media cabinet and other spots around the house. It's looking better around here already!

96/300

#25 of 74 Old 02-05-2008, 11:41 AM

I want to be in. I have a lot of issues so I need some hand holding. I see peoples neat and tidy decluttered homes or talk of doing a room a week and I feel overwhelmed. I'd be doing really good to get through a room in a month. And if I do do that the stuff from the other rooms re-migrate in there. My goal is a black garbage bag full of Goodwill stuff a week at least and an equal amount of trash. Honestly I could easily do a bag a day for the stuff I have, but it seems I'm always sitting and nursing or cleaning up one 3 & 5 yo mess while they are making 3 more. <sigh> Please tell me there are other people lurking who don't have it all together and are overwhelmd by stuff. I know I have the skills, I just organized my mom's 10x12 sewing room that was shoulder high with stuff and a 1 foot path to the closet. My dad had just dumped stuff in there during my mom's illness (she died in Dec). The unfortunate thing (and good, but bad in the decluttering sense) is probably 1/4-1/3 of that is coming here in March when we are up there for her memorial service. I already brought a tote of yarn, knitting, crocheting and tatting stuff and a tote of fat quarters (All really nice stuff I will use eventually) There is still bobbin lacemaking and scrapbooking stuff that will come in March. Not only that, but this summer when dh nearly died and was in the icu there were issues with my mil coming and cleaning. (Talk about humiliating! So there is a bit of emotional bagage with this, so any help, cheerleading, etc would be helpful. If you made it this far, thanks for hangin with me.

Katie, mama to Katherine 19, Christian 17, Johannah 15, Nicholas 10, Genevieve 8, Matthew 5, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with  my husband, Scott

#26 of 74 Old 02-05-2008, 01:58 PM

I've got alot to do, so I am still going for my original 2008 in 2008 I got a late start with only 23 items in Jan. Last night I started on the boys room throwing out 17 items. Then I cleaned out the car & trashed another 12. So that leaves me with 52/2008. I'm starting out slow, but I plan to have some mondo yard sales this spring, I'll catch up then

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#27 of 74 Old 02-05-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewaggonerfamily View Post
I want to be in. I have a lot of issues so I need some hand holding. I see peoples neat and tidy decluttered homes or talk of doing a room a week and I feel overwhelmed. I'd be doing really good to get through a room in a month. And if I do do that the stuff from the other rooms re-migrate in there. My goal is a black garbage bag full of Goodwill stuff a week at least and an equal amount of trash. Honestly I could easily do a bag a day for the stuff I have, but it seems I'm always sitting and nursing or cleaning up one 3 & 5 yo mess while they are making 3 more. <sigh> Please tell me there are other people lurking who don't have it all together and are overwhelmd by stuff. I know I have the skills, I just organized my mom's 10x12 sewing room that was shoulder high with stuff and a 1 foot path to the closet. My dad had just dumped stuff in there during my mom's illness (she died in Dec). The unfortunate thing (and good, but bad in the decluttering sense) is probably 1/4-1/3 of that is coming here in March when we are up there for her memorial service. I already brought a tote of yarn, knitting, crocheting and tatting stuff and a tote of fat quarters (All really nice stuff I will use eventually) There is still bobbin lacemaking and scrapbooking stuff that will come in March. Not only that, but this summer when dh nearly died and was in the icu there were issues with my mil coming and cleaning. (Talk about humiliating! So there is a bit of emotional bagage with this, so any help, cheerleading, etc would be helpful. If you made it this far, thanks for hangin with me.
I've was lurking all last year & kept saying I should do that, but never did. So I decided this year I MUST, I WILL do it!!! I was & still am really quite overwhelmed by it all. The way I started was rather than with 1 whole room, pick one corner & spend 15 min there. I find that if I can do that I get energized & feel ready to do more. Then again if you just can't do more dor whatever reason...well you've still started You'll be amaze what you can do in 15 min. Baby steps...

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#28 of 74 Old 02-05-2008, 08:00 PM

I have a bag of clothes and a box of kitchen items headed to goodwill this week, ive purged numer ous items already, we're packing stuff into storage for a move sometime this year, so that helps and to get the house ready for market, i feel like I still need to purge more..........today i purged nothing maybe I'll clean something small tonight
#29 of 74 Old 02-05-2008, 09:13 PM

I'm in... my goal is modest for this month - only 50... that is bearing in mind that I moved on New Years and have already gotten rid of about 40 large boxes of stuff.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#30 of 74 Old 02-05-2008, 11:33 PM

13 more today

109/300

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page