Best Toy Organizer? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 02-03-2008, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I apologize if this has been done to death, but I really need a simple, easy to use toy organizer. Ds is getting to that age with lots of little things and I'm about to lose it. When we move and have some more room I've been thinking about the table from Land of Nod. You can get it with two sets of legs so it can be low now and work with toys and trains, than later it can be taller to function as a desk. You can also get it with the rolling bins underneath and a built in paper roller. If anyone has set up like it I would love to know if you think it's worth the money. Also what great system do you have going now?
TIA,
Pamela
#2 of 22 Old 02-03-2008, 10:57 PM

I like the $50 book-and-toy display at Michael's Arts and Crafts for the essential, gets-played-with-every-day stuff. I also like the Ikea Expedit collection with either Ikea baskets or those fabric cubes from Target to hide toy clutter.
#3 of 22 Old 02-04-2008, 12:27 AM

We just got a bunch of Ikea Trofast storage shelves/bins. They're in the kids section. They're nice because you can choose from 3 different bin sizes. On the down side, they tip pretty easily and must be tethered to the wall (but it's easy to do). We also have a bunch of fabric storage cubes from Target, which we keep on a small Billy bookcase from Ikea (6 cubes fit perfectly). Cheap and effective. I keep meaning to tape pictures on each bin/cube to show what goes in them, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#4 of 22 Old 02-04-2008, 01:23 AM

I really like Ikea's stuff-mainly b/c it is all so reasonably priced. That said, I do like the fabric bins from Target (they are $5-7/each, but I got two on sale and plan to get more). We are lucky that in our boys' room we have built-in shelves and we can put toys and other stuff in these. Can't find a link to the ones we have-sorry.

Toy storage is an issue around here that we're always trying to figure out.
#5 of 22 Old 02-04-2008, 02:49 AM

I'm a huge fan of bins. Everything in my house is in bins now.. they're easy to hide too
#6 of 22 Old 02-04-2008, 03:58 AM

I just bought nice rubbermaid laundry baskest for all my daughters books they slide right under the coffee table and at the family dollar store the cost $1.25!
I'm gonna get wooden stackable bins from the mill store for her bed room next
#7 of 22 Old 02-04-2008, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been looking at the Trofast stuff, and the reveiws have helped cement my choice. I will also check out the bins at Target. I have moments where I just want to chuck it all. It does'nt help that my children have birthdays four days apart this week. They certainly need nothing, but that won't stop the stuff from coming in. For the last day the almost 3 year old has been playing with an old light switch and a screwdriver. He helped DH replace a switch and the screws on the old switch are just right for him to screw in and out. DS would probably be thrilled with an empty box and a few more old electrical supplies.rol
Pamela
#8 of 22 Old 02-06-2008, 02:10 AM

I just read in "confessions of an organized homemaker" that she recommends shelves with rectangular pans or boxes; not bins,(its where things tend to get dumped) so kids can easily see what's in each and where to put them back, and she rec.s labeling everything too.
I've been working on my son's room for awhile. One thing that really helped us recently is hanging some hooks. We got wooden star pegs from Micheals, I think, for like a buck a piece, painted them together and after we hung a bunch we finally had a place for all the capes, dress ups, swords and shields, etc. That really helps keep alot of things off the floor and I hung them at his height, so he can get them and put them back easily. Its really nice to have a childs mirror hung right by that area, too, so he can see how he looks dressed up.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#9 of 22 Old 02-06-2008, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunanthem View Post
I just read in "confessions of an organized homemaker" that she recommends shelves with rectangular pans or boxes; not bins,(its where things tend to get dumped) so kids can easily see what's in each and where to put them back, and she rec.s labeling everything too.
I've been working on my son's room for awhile. One thing that really helped us recently is hanging some hooks. We got wooden star pegs from Micheals, I think, for like a buck a piece, painted them together and after we hung a bunch we finally had a place for all the capes, dress ups, swords and shields, etc. That really helps keep alot of things off the floor and I hung them at his height, so he can get them and put them back easily. Its really nice to have a childs mirror hung right by that area, too, so he can see how he looks dressed up.
Great ideas, especially the hooks for dress up!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#10 of 22 Old 02-27-2008, 01:05 PM

I really like these
... easy to organize, easily accessible.
#11 of 22 Old 02-27-2008, 11:12 PM

We have 2 of these from IKEA and we really like them!
They are nice as they are easy to pull out and when they are in you dont see the toys etc. With other toys bins I could always see them and it always looks "messy".
#12 of 22 Old 02-28-2008, 01:03 PM

We have square cubbies from target that hold bins perfectly. You can stack two bins in each cubby and there is room on the side for extra things if needed.

THANK YOU for the hook/mirror idea! That is perfect for us!

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#13 of 22 Old 02-29-2008, 11:45 PM

We have two kids in one bedroom and we have the toy situation covered pretty well in these two areas.

Play food, dishes and the like in the pastel bin organizer here (but personally, I don't like the fact they are titled - I think perpendicular to the floor would be better, but I got it second hand so I'm not complaining).

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...windowwall.jpg

We have puzzles, other wood toys, two baskets with other soft toys in them (like puppets) in the reconverted kitchen island in the closet. Games up on the shelves, dress up clothes in canvas bins in the closet.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...roomcloset.jpg

Mama of 3 girls: 7.5 , 6 , and 4.5
#14 of 22 Old 03-01-2008, 01:08 AM

We just bought the Trofast stuff from IKEA.

LOVE IT!

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#15 of 22 Old 03-01-2008, 01:24 AM

Shoe organizers over the door are great, too!
#16 of 22 Old 03-01-2008, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granola_mom View Post
I really like these
... easy to organize, easily accessible.
This is very similar to what I have for DS....we got ours at Target though. It works great for us because I can keep certain types of toys in separate bins and he can easily see them and get out what he wants. I also keep a big fabric bin in the living room since we spend most of our day there, and I rotate the toys that I keep in that bin. For example, he's really into playing with all of his various cars and trucks right now, so they're all in the living room bin. He's getting more into his blocks and such as well, so those are out there, too. It makes clean up a lot easier than trying to lug everything back into his room every day! I'm planning on buying another one for the baby's room - while she's still tiny and not playing with toys yet, I can keep diapers, burp cloths, etc. in the bins, and then gradually add toys as she starts getting interested in them.
#17 of 22 Old 03-01-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Information View Post
We have two kids in one bedroom and we have the toy situation covered pretty well in these two areas.

Play food, dishes and the like in the pastel bin organizer here (but personally, I don't like the fact they are titled - I think perpendicular to the floor would be better, but I got it second hand so I'm not complaining).

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...windowwall.jpg

We have puzzles, other wood toys, two baskets with other soft toys in them (like puppets) in the reconverted kitchen island in the closet. Games up on the shelves, dress up clothes in canvas bins in the closet.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...roomcloset.jpg
You know you can slide those bins in parallel to the floor, and I like ours better that way, too.
#18 of 22 Old 03-02-2008, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have plastic shoebox size containers that sit on a shelf. One set of shelves has a sliding wood door. I really like how that door makes things look less cluttered. The containers are clear enough to tell what is in them. The lids are hinged on which I like so the lids don't add to the overall clutter when in use. They don't go missing or get lost. I like having lids to keep out dust.

If I had money to invest, I'd consider Ikea's Expedit shelves with pretty square baskets. But some of our toy components are longer than 12", I think, so it would only be a partial solution. I like that you can swap around bins easily, put small parts up high if little ones come over. Also great for rotating toys.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#19 of 22 Old 03-02-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLeslie View Post
You know you can slide those bins in parallel to the floor, and I like ours better that way, too.
Well, glory be. You sure can. Can you believe I never tried it that way? I feel so stupid now. Sheesh!

Mama of 3 girls: 7.5 , 6 , and 4.5
#20 of 22 Old 03-02-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Information View Post
Well, glory be. You sure can. Can you believe I never tried it that way? I feel so stupid now. Sheesh!
Don't feel stupid- I didn't figure it out until I saw that someone else had done it. Sometimes we just see things done one way, and think it's the only way!
#21 of 22 Old 03-03-2008, 12:01 AM

I can't stand plastic so I got This. I'll be buying these to put in the cubbies.

I also have some cheap wire shelves (from Target) in ds's room but I can't stand them. The walls that they are in front of have baseboard heating so I don't know what else to get instead (that would be safe.)

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#22 of 22 Old 03-03-2008, 12:59 PM

I JUST went on an organizing rampage the other day, and thought I'd share what I did.

(we do have the trofast thing, which we love)

I bought this wood cube storage/bookshelf thing. It is PERFECT for toys. You can get it at Home Depot. I really like it.
A friend gave us thiscube storage/bookshelf thing, which can be used tall or on its side.

We also got this wire cube storage thing. It looks surprisingly good in ds's room! It's quite inexpensive. The top cubes can also be turned into baskets instead of shelves (so instead of having the grid on the top, it's on the 4th side) which makes good storage for balls or stuffed animals.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page