Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 02-06-2008, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oprah's show this Thursday: Quote:

http://www2.oprah.com/tows/pastshows...promocode=HP51
  • Clutter expert Peter Walsh is back with a bombshell—clutter can make you fat! Peter helps an overweight family declutter their lives room by room and pound by pound.

Tune in Thursday, February 7, to see what happens.
:
#2 of 27 Old 02-06-2008, 04:15 PM

I can't wait to watch this ! I love Peter Walsh.

I really wanted to get his book, "It's All Too Much" to have on hand when I need a kick in the pants, but there seemed something strange about buying another book to place on my already cramped bookshelves when I was trying to declutter them. So I got it in an e-book! Now it takes up space on my hard drive, not in my house.

Me:
#3 of 27 Old 02-06-2008, 04:17 PM

Whew, I can believe it. I'll have to be sure to check that out
#4 of 27 Old 02-06-2008, 05:16 PM

I do agree with this statement. I have lost several pounds in the process.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#5 of 27 Old 02-06-2008, 05:21 PM

I stalk Oprah's site since my daughter goes to school in Chicago and wanted to go to a taping.

For this show, they were looking for overweight families. People who had cupboards full of junk food and rarely cooked anything healthy. Those people also needed to have totally cluttered kitchens with lots of gadgets that they never used.
#6 of 27 Old 02-06-2008, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I'd be curious to seeif there will be any discussion of how class ties in to this, if at all?
Those of you who watch, care to post a summary?

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#7 of 27 Old 02-06-2008, 07:10 PM

Can I watch Oprah online? I don't have a TV, but I heard some shows/networks are online now. What network is the show on? (Sheesh, like I need another way to kill time online! )
#8 of 27 Old 02-06-2008, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the heads-up; I'm going to set the dvr.

Oh and notwonamesalike - I highly recommend the book! It might temporarily add to the cluttered bookshelf, but as soon as you read it, it may end up being the only book left on the shelf after you declutter your house.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#9 of 27 Old 02-07-2008, 12:43 PM

Thanks for the heads up ... off to set the DVR.
#10 of 27 Old 02-07-2008, 04:36 PM

I plan on watching. I'm really curious to read his books and wish my library carried them!
#11 of 27 Old 02-07-2008, 05:05 PM

Awwww...I missed this. I forgot it was on at 3 (it's 4pm now).
#12 of 27 Old 02-07-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwylde View Post
Awwww...I missed this. I forgot it was on at 3 (it's 4pm now).
I think I just wrenched my neck doing a double take at the clock -- OMG I FORGOT TO PICK UP NATASHA! -- then I noticed your location.
#13 of 27 Old 02-07-2008, 05:25 PM

Lol!!!!
#14 of 27 Old 02-07-2008, 06:39 PM

I checked out IATM from the library recently and did like it overall. I thought his way of having you first decide what function each room should have, then decluttering/organizing form there made so much sense and was different form most advice I have seen in regards to this. But I found a lot of it didn't apply to me living in a somewhat small space (family of 4 in just over 1000 sq ft, so not tiny, but not large either). I mean, his kitchen tip about the triangle area in your cooking zone (something like that). Well, that is my entire tiny kitchen.

I'd love a recap of the show if anyone has a chance as we don't get any channels.
#15 of 27 Old 02-07-2008, 06:48 PM

I'd love a summary too if anyone cares to share...I'm at work now :
#16 of 27 Old 02-07-2008, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the heads up! I would have most likely missed the show today if you had not posted this!
#17 of 27 Old 02-07-2008, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I saw it and I have to say I was disappointed, that house was messy yes but that was no where near what I was expecting for one of those type episodes where the house is a worst case scenario. This was nothing more then the average home that hasn't been cleaned in a couple weeks. My house has looked worse then there basement and that was the worst part of the house. Although the kids room was pretty gross and the dog pooping under the bed? That was sick, why didn't the mother make them clean that up? Also those kids were way to old to be sharing a room when there was one available (the office). The mom obviously had issues but her house wasn't that bad compared to what many of us are facing in cleaning up.

Seriously?
#18 of 27 Old 02-08-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
I saw it and I have to say I was disappointed, that house was messy yes but that was no where near what I was expecting for one of those type episodes where the house is a worst case scenario. This was nothing more then the average home that hasn't been cleaned in a couple weeks. My house has looked worse then there basement and that was the worst part of the house. Although the kids room was pretty gross and the dog pooping under the bed? That was sick, why didn't the mother make them clean that up? Also those kids were way to old to be sharing a room when there was one available (the office). The mom obviously had issues but her house wasn't that bad compared to what many of us are facing in cleaning up.
I too was disappointed in the show. ANYONE could declutter AND lose weight if they had a team come in and get rid of the crap FOR them. THEN the team came in and cleaned and painted everything. THEN Lowe's came in and put in all type of organizational tools. THEN someone GAVE them ALL BRAND NEW FURNITURE!!!!!!!!! Well hell's bells - My house would look terrific too in that case!!!!

I was hoping for more advice on how to do it myself!!!!!
#19 of 27 Old 02-08-2008, 04:41 PM

I have Peter's book and just started reading it. I like it so far. Our home is smallish, but like he said...we're not moving so we have to make the stuff fit the space we have now. I didn't watch the Oprah show but plan to watch it later (I dvr'ed it). I do get annoyed w/these shows though although I watch clean house obsessively...I think we could all get together if we had a crew right, lol!

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#20 of 27 Old 02-08-2008, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Try this link for info on that show:
http://lifestyle.msn.com/homeandgard...3&imageindex=1
#21 of 27 Old 02-08-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsew View Post
I too was disappointed in the show. ANYONE could declutter AND lose weight if they had a team come in and get rid of the crap FOR them. THEN the team came in and cleaned and painted everything. THEN Lowe's came in and put in all type of organizational tools. THEN someone GAVE them ALL BRAND NEW FURNITURE!!!!!!!!! Well hell's bells - My house would look terrific too in that case!!!!

I was hoping for more advice on how to do it myself!!!!!
I agree! I get so annoyed when they do things like this. How about showing people how to make a difference in their home without it costing them money? I too could have a great home if I paid professionals to do it for me!

SAM, momma to 3 beautiful babies: Tristan (5), Gabriel (4) , & Brighton (2)

#22 of 27 Old 02-09-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic-momma View Post
I agree! I get so annoyed when they do things like this. How about showing people how to make a difference in their home without it costing them money? I too could have a great home if I paid professionals to do it for me!
Not only that, but since the people didn't have to do any changes themselves, nothing important will change, and a year from now the house will be messy and the people fat.
#23 of 27 Old 02-09-2008, 09:56 PM

I just went back and watched the DVRed show.

Did they throw away like most of their house?

How disappointing! The audience learned nothing on how to declutter or how to avoid building it back up again.
#24 of 27 Old 02-10-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustasmom View Post

How disappointing! The audience learned nothing on how to declutter or how to avoid building it back up again.
I was hoping for some tips too. That was my first exposure to Peter Walsh, though. He reminds me of the Rector at my church!
#25 of 27 Old 02-11-2008, 01:41 AM

Quote:

There's only about 40 minutes of show time available, they can't get too detailed. If we're talking about Sharyn and Marvin, the older couple, do you realize it took weeks to clear out the house? And that there was black mold from spoiled food, the furniture was damaged from mold too, and sections of the walls had to be removed along with the carpet? The home itself was toxic.

She has a mental disorder! The only reason they were able to go in and do what they did was that she was ready for help and willing to change. She wanted to get well. That's the first step. Many hoarders get stuck at that stage because the work to clean up is so overwhelming. In this case, the helpers were getting ill--Peter Walsh got a rash from the mold!

Let's be compassionate toward these people. They needed help and thanks to Oprah, Peter W. and a few home supply companies, they were able to get that help and by sharing their story, they'll encourage others to take the first steps toward recovery.

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#26 of 27 Old 02-11-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_sonja View Post
There's only about 40 minutes of show time available, they can't get too detailed. If we're talking about Sharyn and Marvin, the older couple, do you realize it took weeks to clear out the house? And that there was black mold from spoiled food, the furniture was damaged from mold too, and sections of the walls had to be removed along with the carpet? The home itself was toxic.

She has a mental disorder! The only reason they were able to go in and do what they did was that she was ready for help and willing to change. She wanted to get well. That's the first step. Many hoarders get stuck at that stage because the work to clean up is so overwhelming. In this case, the helpers were getting ill--Peter Walsh got a rash from the mold!

Let's be compassionate toward these people. They needed help and thanks to Oprah, Peter W. and a few home supply companies, they were able to get that help and by sharing their story, they'll encourage others to take the first steps toward recovery.
No this show wasn't about them. It was about a young-ish couple (late 30's early 40's??) with two young kids (12 and 13). I didn't see any mold. I think there might have been a different family?

Yes this house they basically THREW AWAY everything and started out fresh. But like a prev poster said, they didn't learn HOW to declutter and live simpler.

I agree they will probably junk it up again soon!
#27 of 27 Old 02-11-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I stalk Oprah's site since my daughter goes to school in Chicago and wanted to go to a taping.

For this show, they were looking for overweight families. People who had cupboards full of junk food and rarely cooked anything healthy. Those people also needed to have totally cluttered kitchens with lots of gadgets that they never used.

Oh gosh, this is so my husband. Why didn't I see this earlier? He is a hordaholic.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page