Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryCeleste View Post

Anyway, here's what's gone so far:

25 pc children's clothes
6 towels
5 tote bags
8 toys
7 worn sippy cups (recycled)
14 jars, yogurt tubs, etc. that I was "saving" (recycled)
----------
65 / 1878

I also have hundreds more items already boxed & bagged for various destinations, but I'm not including them until they're out of the house.

Looking forward to checking back in with you!
Congrats! That is FANTASTIC progress!

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#62 of 197 Old 03-07-2008, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
it's sorta embaressing, but I've just boxed up 88 toys and I'm counting multiple piece - set toys as 1! Things aren't officially out the house yet but that's the way I'm counting so my grand total is up to 257

257/zillion
plus 10 pounds paper

12 bathroom +1
31 fabric
15 sewing +1
9 my dresser
33 cedar closet
26 catch all
3 kitchen +2
32 books +4
88 toys
161 TOTAL +96 from today!
plus 10 pounds of paper
#63 of 197 Old 03-07-2008, 05:28 PM

We gathered up all the baby dolls and have 17.: That's almost six per child. We've parred down to seven which includes a few from my childhood.

10 Baby Dolls
1 Rooster Flash Light-DD says he was "thirsty" so he met his end in the bath
------------------
11 Items

Total 68/800
#64 of 197 Old 03-07-2008, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Finally worked up the courage to work on the weird extra room/storage closet today. I worked for less than an hour and got rid of 86 things in that short time. I've barely scratched the surface though. *Sigh* At least I have one huge pile of stuff going to Goodwill tomorrow!

143/300

#65 of 197 Old 03-08-2008, 05:04 AM

Hi! I am new to MDC. I'd like to join this challenge, if I may?

I can jump in where we are now in the month and I'd like to set my goal of one item per day. I'll pretend I started at the beginning of the month to inspire me to get busy and state my goal is 31 items.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#66 of 197 Old 03-08-2008, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
Hi! I am new to MDC. I'd like to join this challenge, if I may?

I can jump in where we are now in the month and I'd like to set my goal of one item per day. I'll pretend I started at the beginning of the month to inspire me to get busy and state my goal is 31 items.
Of course you can! Welcome and good luck.

#67 of 197 Old 03-08-2008, 10:07 AM

I haven't done anything yet. Will finally have time today to start.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#68 of 197 Old 03-08-2008, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Baby has been sick and my husband's Grandfather has passed away so haven't got much done. I do have a pile of stuff by the door that needs to be donated but won't count it till it goes.
And I think our yard sale will be the 1st Sat. of April.
A friend pointed out that a lot of folks get paid on the 1st, so hopefully more stuff will go then.

I can't wait to get some things out of this house. We are acually getting rid of some furniture. My pack rat DH is even on board.

So far I've only got 2/300.
#69 of 197 Old 03-08-2008, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

15 more out of the closet from heck today!

158/300

#70 of 197 Old 03-08-2008, 04:34 PM

Okay... not much progress yet (But I did get to have a date with dh and see Cirque du Soleil!) Got ds helping yesterday - he's as much of a pack rat as his parents! lol We ended up bargaining about which packaging to recycle and which to keep (why does he love to keep packaging so much??).

Deadline: March 19

Living Room: 30%
Kitchen: 0%
Bathroom: 0%
Yard: 0%

Items gone: 96
Pounds of paper gone: 22

I should add here that I also need to de-mold/mildew the walls in the living room and bedroom. (Over-achieving a little? maybe...)
#71 of 197 Old 03-08-2008, 05:19 PM

13 books and 1 thing from the catch all so far today, if I can really get motivated I need to go through the pile of 'I don't know where to put this stuff, I'll just pile it here until later' that has slowly grown from cleaning out other areas.

271/zillion + 10lbs. paper
#72 of 197 Old 03-08-2008, 05:38 PM

Had an incident with DDs wheelchair last week so had to spend the last few days doing re-fits for repairs. : She is back on her wheels and running so I can get back to work!

Working on the garage today with DH. So far 3 boxes in the truck ready to "head out", and several items going to the scrap yard.

Also started 2 baby quilts with scraps from my stash. "Re-purposed"! Hope to finish the tops today.(Posting pics over in the sewing forum). One less "pile" sitting in my craft area and ready for baby showers coming up.

Off to get back to work....
#73 of 197 Old 03-08-2008, 07:26 PM

So the past few days just in cleaning up around the house I got rid of...

5 dishes
4 of my shirts
1 pair of Dh's scrubs
7 books
=17

Bringing my total to:
190/400

Tara - nurse and wife to a nurse, mama to four, Izak (7/28/99), Liam (9/25/06), Freya (5/28/08) and Luna (5/19/10)
#74 of 197 Old 03-08-2008, 07:41 PM

Out the door today:

Thrift shop: 17 pc children's clothes, 15 toys & stuffed animals, 14 household items = 46

Recycled: 6 large educational supply catalogues = 6

Gave to a friend: 60 pc children's clothes, 14 audiobooks & movies = 74

total = 126

-----------------------------------------------------
Stuff we acquired :

9 books, 8 small toys for Easter baskets, 1 baby item, 2 children's t-shirts, 4 boxes note cards

total = [24]

current tally: 191/2002
#75 of 197 Old 03-08-2008, 09:20 PM

we are on a serious roll...don't stop me now!!!

We just spent a few hours moving my scrapbooking and craft stuff, thinning it out, went through kids rooms and took a big plastic bin, they are to put all their stuff they don't want, doesn't fit, broken in it. Their incentive is they want to take it to a yard sale, then a kids sale to raise money for a nintendo ds (anyone have some cheap??? just thought I'd thought it out there). We'll chip in for what they don't make as the incentive.

We also went through old papers and trash, and a few pieces of old furniture (you know the ones you might fix someday) and so far met our goal for 20 bags for the week, probably even more!!!

thanks for doing this, it's a great incentive, we need to act on it before I change my mind...

I am hoping the weather changes and we can get out there in the garage and get that cleaned out, it's a mess, we can't even park in there!!! But it's been either cold, rainy, sleeting, whatever, so lets hope we have a few good days coming up.
#76 of 197 Old 03-08-2008, 09:34 PM

My goal was originally 50 items..
I just started today, but I'm hoping to add more shortly.
GONE so far:
sippy cup tops tossed- 3
pile of old papers tossed- 1
organizer freecycled- 1
cassette tapes- 1
broken toy pieces- 3
dishes and mug- 4
13/50 and counting

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#77 of 197 Old 03-08-2008, 09:41 PM

For Today...
5 Christmas Kitchen Towels
1 Misc XMAS Decorations
2 Duplicate Books
4 small plastic toys
1 Fridge pig
1 pair of shoes
9 Borrowed Books
4 Very Overdue Library Books
2 Used Up Coloring Books
1 Pile of Paper
1 Dishwasher - Sold on Craigslist
--------------------------------
31 Items for Today

New Total 99/800 I better get moving faster....
#78 of 197 Old 03-08-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapadoozer View Post
Congrats! That is FANTASTIC progress!
Thanks!

At this point, we're mainly getting rid of things that are obviously unnecessary (i.e., useless or duplicate things). Once that's done, we'll be able to take stock of our "useful," "desired," and "hard to replace" belongings, and figure out which of them are really serving our family's needs, rather than vice versa.
#79 of 197 Old 03-08-2008, 11:27 PM

Back for round 2...

Threw out: 12 pcs expired medications = 12

Recycled: 1 bag used batteries; 12 pc mismatched plastic food storage & glass jars; most of late MIL's collection of recipe clippings (*); most of my collection of recipe clippings = 15

Donated to the library: 81 books, 1 audiobook, 3 VHS movies = 85

total = 112

303/2002

(*) DD1 helped me go through the recipe box. We worked fast -- basically just salvaging anything handwritten -- but I still got to glance through a lot of the clippings, which provided plenty of entertainment. MIL was born in the 1920's, so the recipes spanned several decades, from 1940's tea sandwiches to 1990's low-carb Thai beef salad. There were many examples of regrettable food fads, including my personal favorite, from the 1970's: "Whole Wheat M&M Cookies." Apparently, the food editor didn't see anything strange about that combination.

And I can just picture how they were invented...

Aspiring healthy cook: "I've been using this cookie recipe from Adelle Davis, but the children don't like them as much as the supermarket kind."

Friend: "Have you tried adding M&M's?"

#80 of 197 Old 03-08-2008, 11:47 PM

Reporting Round 2 and then off to bed...

1 pair pants
1 Used Up Coloring Book
5 Large Stacks of Paper
1 Small Plastic Toy
----------------------
8 More Items

New Total 107/800
#81 of 197 Old 03-09-2008, 05:06 AM

Thanks scrapadoozer!

Well, I guess we got started today. We purchased a new TV earlier this week and let DD play in the box for days. We let her know it would be going away and she really got her play time in! LOL Her birthday is coming up and we're holding the party in a park and need to drive a large, handcrafted cake there. So, DH kept one side of the large TV box to turn into a cake carrier and recycled the rest of the box late this afternoon. Our living room feels twice as big now and it wasn't THAT big of a TV. LOL

DH also listed the old TV on freecycle and had three takers in a few hours. We're hoping to have that out of the living room tomorrow sometime! (I'll count it when it is literally out of the house.)

Meanwhile, I am on a self-imposed "consumption diet" regarding my craft supplies. I just LOVE paper and fabric!!!! We had to move out last Fall for two weeks in order to have some work done on our home. I had to pack up most of our personal belongings and move those out, too...pretty much everything except the big furniture items. WHAT AN EYE-OPENING EXPERIENCE!!! I mistakenly thought two weeks would be plenty of time to accomplish this task while decluttering and cleaning, etc. Uh, yeah, right. LOL I ended up with my craft stuff being last to be packed and I am telling you even *I* feel I have way too much of it. It was embarrassing and no one said anything derogatory. Well, I am proud to say I got busy USING the supplies once we were back in our house. I went on three scrapbooking "adventures" (mix of events) and vowed to only use what I own. I did run out of adhesive for the first time in my life! Wow! I guess I never really was busy enough in the past or I had way too much of it? With DD's upcoming birthday party, I have once again vowed to use as much of my existing supplies as possible. DD also has a homework assignment due Monday to make a leprechaun trap. DH, DD, and I had fun brainstorming party invitations and the leprechaun trap today and pulled out supplies for both. The trap is nearly done and the invitations are about halfway done and there were no trips to the store. WOO HOO! (Nothing has left the house, yet, so I won't count them.)

Enjoy your day!

March progress: 1/31

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#82 of 197 Old 03-09-2008, 09:23 AM

16 items recycled
2 pieces paper
4 broken toys
1 purse broken
+
1 shower curtain full of holes tossed
1 old bottle of prenatal vitamins that were all soft and squishy ewww
10 burp cloths given to a friend in need

35/300

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#83 of 197 Old 03-09-2008, 12:57 PM

I am seriously stuck. I can not get myself to do anything. I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels. How do you all decide where to start when there's just so much to do? Any ideas? I have two rooms in the basement that are full of boxes that need to be gone through. And my bedroom has also become a storage facility.

I promised the kids a garage sale so they could sell their stuff, but I just don't want to do it. I have compromised and told ds (he's 10) that he could still sell his things, I'll help him price them and I'll help him on the day of the sale, but I'm just going to box up the rest and give away to charity. I am happy with this decision, but now I'm just not getting started. HELP!!!!

Happy decluttering everyone !!!!!

Jill

Goal
0/600 minutes I thought if I made the 0 bigger it would help motivate me to change it.
#84 of 197 Old 03-09-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I am seriously stuck. I can not get myself to do anything. I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels. How do you all decide where to start when there's just so much to do? Any ideas? I have two rooms in the basement that are full of boxes that need to be gone through. And my bedroom has also become a storage facility
Does the big areas scare you? They do me. I have had beter luck with the out and about things and the smaller areas that are not so overwhelming.

I actually started in the bathroom, I emptied everthing not attached out from there (well then I took down the rusted metal medicine cabinet and replaced it with one I had gotten a while back) as I emptied I got rid of things I knew I didn't need/want, then I started refilling the bathroom with only the things I absoultly wanted in there (and some stuff that needs a new spot in the house but has to stay in there until I get something set up so little hands don't get into them) the stuff left either went to proper places to keep them or in the get rid of box or trash. I had some stuff that I didn't know what to do with but I wanted to keep, those have went in this huge pile that I am soon going to have to really go through completly.

I brought a big big garbage can in the house and am using those really big (and expensive) contractors bags they sell from the home repair stores. It's nice, it's big, I don't have to worry about missing the trashcan when I toss or having to change out the bags. (hubby hates them because they are heavy and he has to pull the bag out for me, plus he's the one who has to haul them off to the dump) For give away stuff I'm using boxes, they stack nicely and once full I close them up so I can't see what's in there. I get the boxes for free from behind a local store. Recycable stuff goes where it normally goes.

If you decide to go with the big storage rooms first, what about pulling 1 or 2 boxes out of that room, going through them in a different room so that it isn't so overwhelming.

for the yard sale for the kids, no suggestions. I have found that I get way more done if I just give away the things instead of trying to organize a whole other thing like a sale.
#85 of 197 Old 03-09-2008, 01:57 PM

Okay, I keep saying I'm going to do it. Now I will. I am aiming for 300 in March. My problem is not choosing to get rid of stuff, but actually getting the collected items/bags/boxes of stuff OUT of the closets once I've decided we don't need them anymore!

I will likely get rid of much more than 300, since I laready have about 600 boxed and bagged since january. All sitting taking up valuable storage space.

so I will only count new additions to the pile, and only count them when they are OUT the door!
#86 of 197 Old 03-09-2008, 03:07 PM

Lightheart: Does the big areas scare you? They do me. I have had beter luck with the out and about things and the smaller areas that are not so overwhelming.

My whole house scares me.

If you decide to go with the big storage rooms first, what about pulling 1 or 2 boxes out of that room, going through them in a different room so that it isn't so overwhelming.

I like this idea. I definitely think it would make the job seem easier. Thanks!!!

for the yard sale for the kids, no suggestions. I have found that I get way more done if I just give away the things instead of trying to organize a whole other thing like a sale.

Yes. So I will let ds#2 have a table with his stuff and I'll just give away the rest. I won't have to advertise because there is a city wide sale coming up and our neighborhood is a big sale area.

Jill
#87 of 197 Old 03-09-2008, 08:30 PM

1 Diaper Bag
1 Kid's Bookend Thing
11 Books
12 Pieces of excess packaging
1 Pile Old Coupons
4 Bottles Contact Solution
5 Used Up Bath Containers
2 Unusable Medicene Droppers
1 Mp3/CD Player
2 Bowling Balls w/bags
1 Baby Einstien Play Gym
1 Baby Changing Thing
1 Old Picture Frame
1 Jumpy Baby Thing
1 Book
1 Video Camera
1 Christmas Tree
1 Girl's Dress
1 Potty Chair
--------------------
53 Itmes

New Total 160/800
#88 of 197 Old 03-09-2008, 08:33 PM

I tackled 'the pile' it's not all gone but I took a big chunk out of it I worked more on deep cleaning the living room, around the woodstove area and right under the ladder going up to the loft today. Didn't get much to toss out 3 more books, 3 toys, 3 junk, and a printer... so my total is... drum roll please...

281/zillion and 10lb paper

I really like this keeping track, I feel very accountable to you guys.
#89 of 197 Old 03-09-2008, 09:49 PM

Our old TV went out the door to a great family today. Our living room is clear in the walking area now! WOO HOO!

March Progress: 2/31

#90 of 197 Old 03-09-2008, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPam View Post
1 Diaper Bag
1 Kid's Bookend Thing
11 Books
12 Pieces of excess packaging
1 Pile Old Coupons
4 Bottles Contact Solution
5 Used Up Bath Containers
2 Unusable Medicene Droppers
1 Mp3/CD Player
2 Bowling Balls w/bags
1 Baby Einstien Play Gym
1 Baby Changing Thing
1 Old Picture Frame
1 Jumpy Baby Thing
1 Book
1 Video Camera
1 Christmas Tree
1 Girl's Dress
1 Potty Chair
--------------------
53 Itmes

New Total 160/800
Sounds like you had an awesome decluttering day!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page