March Decluttering Challenge! C'mon and join! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-13-2008, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
11 more while tidying up today. We've been busy this week but I am hoping to get a couple hours of focused decluttering in tomorrow or this weekend.

249/300

Jenny, proud maker of red things
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2008, 11:33 PM

Donated to library: 78 books (mostly big hardcovers), 1 CD

Returned to store: 3 pr kids' shoes that didn't fit

= 82 items out

bought 1 Easter gift for children

= 1 item in

583/2012
Old 03-14-2008, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Took 4 grocery bags full of baby and toddler clothes and one jacket to be donated = about 41items.
Took laundry basket full or things to recycle = about 20 items.

88/300
Hope to be more focused this weekend and next week.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:44 PM

Nothing done today. I'm feeling really yucky. Hope I'm not coming down with the yuck that is going around. I'm hoping tomorrow will be a productive day.

Happy decluttering everyone !!!!!

Jill

Goal
90/600 minutes
Old 03-15-2008, 01:53 AM

I finally got something done today!

I had started painting our powder room earlier in the week and today, after many challenges and a trip to the paint store, I decided to hire a professional to do it. Too many odd variables and I have so many other home improvement projects in mid-progress. We used him last Fall and he said he could send someone over next week. WOO HOO! Anyway, I was able to get rid of some painting supplies since this is the last room in the house to be painted.

Then, when I was putting away the painting supplies we are keeping, I realized I have bulbs and seedlings to plant. DD & I had lots of fun pulling weeds, checking on our worms, digging holes for the bulbs/plants, and doing a quick decluttering of the shed.

I tossed out or recycled 10 items today! I particularly happy because all of these have been hanging around our house for years!!!

March goal: 12/31

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 03-15-2008, 02:08 AM

Well, we managed to get our 20 bags of trash out this week!!! We included some old carpet and a pile of old boxes. I have 3 kids with the chicken pox, so I am hopeful we are going to keep up this roll we are on!!

I am hoping for nice weather, my garage is looking sad and I couldn't get 20 bags of items out of that, but so far it's a little too cold.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

18 more yesterday. A bunch of fabric and a few articles or clothing.

267/300

Old 03-15-2008, 12:56 PM

picked an area of the apartment: south wall between front door and west end of the apartment (encompasses both living/dining room and kitchen). picked a list of tasks to do and got started with them!

tasks:
weed (librarian-speak for "get rid of books") bookcase
clean off open shelving
swap location of bookcase and open shelving
set-up "pantry" in bookcase
set-up "library" and play area on open shelving
corner cupboards (tool, snack, baking supply, bakeware)

so far i have weeded the bookcase! now i just have to get the books to the used bookstore, for which i need to score some boxes from work this coming week. i am counting them as done anyway - in our house, getting to the point where we are willing to get rid of something is the hardest part, for sure!

105/167
(for the year: 756/2008)(!!)
Old 03-15-2008, 02:17 PM

I got rid of another huge load--the minivan piled full--today. Clothes, books, and housewares. That's a total of 2 minivans full of stuff since January. GO ME!! (I am keeping a tally but have misplaced my tally pad so if I find it I will come back and brag with actually number of items. ) DH and I went through our closet today and I went through some boxes of fat/skinny/regular/out of season clothes too. Phew, it feels great! And our bedroom is clutter free *for a moment* ...before I pull out more totes of stuff that need to be ruthlessly gone-through. LOL.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tossed two throw pillows that the cat peed on.
They have been sitting on the porch for a week. Thought about washing them(done it in the past) but decided to go ahead and toss them.
So 90/300
Old 03-16-2008, 03:07 AM

We were very busy with home improvement projects today! We're replacing baseboards (among other things) and removed the rest of the hallway along with all the kitchen baseboards today. Directly to the dumpster! No stopping to collect dust and spiders on the patio. We cut and fit new baseboards for the foyer, coat closet, rest of the living room, and beginning of the hallway. It is so nice to get several 16-foot boards out of our hallway!!! It is supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow, so we cleaned it all up before dark and the backyard is back to looking nice.

While working in the kitchen, I decided I didn't want to put the vertical blinds "valance" back up. It has been sitting against the wall (down by the baseboard) for six months! It is out of the house and gone now. I also weeded out our water bottles and gathered all the recyclables into a paper grocery sack and those are gone now.

We also finished installing hooks and shelves in our coat closet tonight. Instead of buying a new basket, I raided my stash of stuff that is slowly dwindling and found a great basket for seasonal items (spare poncho-style raincoats, mittens, scarves, etc). I found a few items to be sent on their merry way, too, but I won't count those until they have left the premises.

Enjoy your day!

March progress: 17/31

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 03-16-2008, 11:22 AM

another task struck from the list:

clean out snack cupboard!

i am ashamed to admit that i tossed 115 items from it (mainly very old raisins left over from DW's pregnancy and assorted junk from my mother, who demonstrates love with snack food!).

oh, and the snack cupboard also had the storage containers, which got a thorough going-through, so that was another 25 items.

for a total of 140!

225/167
(i guess i'm there, eh? and i only have two tasks done...nothing to do but keep going!!)
Old 03-16-2008, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvalokiteshvara View Post
another task struck from the list:

clean out snack cupboard!

i am ashamed to admit that i tossed 115 items from it (mainly very old raisins left over from DW's pregnancy and assorted junk from my mother, who demonstrates love with snack food!).

oh, and the snack cupboard also had the storage containers, which got a thorough going-through, so that was another 25 items.

for a total of 140!

225/167
(i guess i'm there, eh? and i only have two tasks done...nothing to do but keep going!!)
Woo-hoo! Good stuff!

Old 03-16-2008, 01:10 PM

I was somewhat motivated yesterday and got a little over 30 minutes of decluttering done. I hope to do at least an hour today. I have found that I stay motivated if I bring my work into the room where everyone else is hanging out. I just brought boxes up in to the living room and worked there. It clutters up the room somewhat, but at least I'm spending time with my family and getting something done at the same time. It feels good.

Jill

Goal
120/600 minutes
Old 03-16-2008, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Went through my two HUGELY massive scrap fabric bins and threw out 163 large scraps (didn't count the small ones!)

430/300

Old 03-16-2008, 02:52 PM

have been working a little here and there, hubby has been home this week so it's been harder to count things especially when we are sitting there going through a box together, harder to keep up with the conversation and numbers and him tossing things in the get rid of box plus if he realized I was counting stuff, he'd probably think I had went over the edge... my little MDC secret right? .....

20 books and magazines, 10 toys, 40 things from the kitchen, 2 bathroom items

my total is now.....
353/zillion and 10lb paper

plus I cleaned out all the veggies from the fridge, added meat from the freezer and made some yummy soup, also completed 2 sewing projects I started in 2007, an apron and a bag but not counting that stuff in my total, just proud and wanted to share that I had done that
Old 03-17-2008, 01:38 AM

we had a productive day today, the kids think there is a leprecaun coming (that's not spelled right, is it, bad irishman, I am). Anyway, we had 5 bags of trash and junk, sorted through drawers and rolltop desk, and got another big basket for the yard sale.

plus, i got another 4 swap packages ready to go out, so more clutter gone!

Of course, we also went shopping for easter, so bringing so more junk into house, lol
Old 03-17-2008, 03:50 AM

Oh, Thank You, Barb!!! I had forgotten all about my DD's leprechaun trap until seeing your message above. I closed my laptop and ran in to ask DH for ideas and his assistance. LOL We just finished "destroying" the living room and swiping the "bait" from her trap! <giggle, giggle>

Anyway, back on topic, we were very productive today. It did rain last night, but it was clear and dry today. So, we forged ahead in our baseboard plan and got the rest of this round of old boards removed and pitched. We also got all the new ones for this round cut and fit in place. I am soooo happy!!! NO MORE 16-FOOT BOARDS LAYING IN OUR HALLWAY!!! I still have plenty of work, like priming and painting for starters, but it was so nice to have DH's help for all the prying and sawing.

I also went through a few areas and added items to the donation pile, but they aren't gone yet so I don't count them. More decluttering tomorrow...

March progress: 18/31

Old 03-18-2008, 10:51 AM

Didn't get anything done yesterday in regards to decluttering. Hoping for 60 minutes today.

Jill

Goal
120/600 minutes
Old 03-18-2008, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
16 items recycled
2 paper
4 toys
1 purse
1 shower curtain
1 old bottle vitamins
10 burp cloths
7 plastic cups
1 broken off chair leg
1 string of lights
8 blocks
+
3 more blocks
1 dead pen
1 dead cellphone charger
10 sets of old bills
15 paper

82/300

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Old 03-18-2008, 04:51 PM

I haven't had much time to work on the decluttering as I was out of town over the weekend, but wanted to add what I little bit I have gotten done before I forget.

1 Sample Can of Formula
6 Pieces if Children's Clothing
1 Not working Hand Pump
-------------------------------
8 More Items

Total 223/800
Old 03-18-2008, 07:03 PM

no new items to add to my list but wanted to post since hubby just did a dump run with the truck so nothing in the throw away pile can be scavenged by me and brought back in!
Old 03-18-2008, 08:13 PM

everyone in this house is down for the count with a head cold. i take solace in the fact that the c*&p piling up around is actually stuff we use!

more later this week - must cleanse in preparation for the one of a kind show!
Old 03-18-2008, 09:06 PM

Tackled some of our closet space today, found some boxes that hadn't been unpacked from when we moved into this apartment 17 months ago...:

Threw out a couple hundred items (NAKing at the mo and the tally's in the other room), put a bunch more in a box to donate (I count those right before they actually go out), and cleared a bunch of closet space by consolidating boxes (things to keep like photos in frames that we like and just don't have a space for at this home, maybe next time), and found a storage solution to my wrapping paper area, clearing up a big prime spot of closet shelf space for other things.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:39 PM

Sounds like we are going to be moving this month so I've got to get busy.
For tonight

10 Build a Bear Hangers
3 Build a Bear Cardboard Houses/Wardrobes
1 baby Bottle
102 Photos
1 Photo Album
1 Olivia Pig Doll Box
1 Mouse Pad
------------------
119 Items

342/800 Items Gone
Old 03-19-2008, 11:09 AM

Did another 30 minutes of decluttering. I managed to get through 3 boxes. We may not be home much today, so we'll see how much I get done.

Jill

Goal
150/600 minutes
Old 03-19-2008, 11:13 AM

I got all the boxes into the attic. I did throw away some things, but I don't know how much. Yesterday I threw away a bunch of little plastic toys. I sold about 10 books on ebay, and put some more up that are doing pretty well right now yeehaw. Dh cleaned out the garage a little and he said he threw away a few things. He got some shelves, too.

There are no boxes in my office anymore!!

I'm not sure what my next task will be. Packaging all these ebay items will be enough for now considering everything else I have going on.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:08 PM

On Monday, DD & I went through all her clothes and shoes. She is giving away two bags filled with 'too small' clothing! She must have sprouted again. LOL We just did this before Christmas. One pair of shoes hit the trash can on Monday because she actually wore a hole right through the heel!

On Monday night, DH & I unpacked three boxes of pictures in frames. We moved out for two weeks back in Sep 07 in order to have some work done on the house. Ever since then (and before then, too...LOL) we've been doing home improvement projects. The things on the walls and shelves and such had to be packed away. Slowly, we're getting each room finished (or close enough) and are able to put things back to "normal"!

I also am working on a LARGE pile of paperwork. Ugh. I've been doing about 15 minutes a day since Saturday and am about 90% through it.

On Tuesday, DD & I primed the new baseboards for this round (kitchen, both hallways, stairwell, foyer, coat closet, and section of living room in the midst of this "zone"). I painted them. DH & I installed some of them. DD & I had forgotten all about the coat closet. LOL More priming and painting today. She & I also found some items we had purchased awhile back for her area of our family office yesterday, so we put those together (gotta love Ikea and the flat box concept!) and started priming them.

Through all this "project work", we've found plenty to declutter along the way. Only a few items have actually made it out of the house, though, at this time... (I only count items that have "left the building"! LOL)

March progress: 21/31

Old 03-19-2008, 01:20 PM

I shredded tons of papers this morning. Yay!
Old 03-20-2008, 02:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Nice! I have 4 bags of shredded papers waiting to go to recycling. And I haven't even attacked the filing cabinet yet.

My office and master bedroom are one in the same....and a declutterer's nightmare!

I know it's time to get rid of something when I catch myself uttering, "Just in case." "Come in handy." "What if one day...?"

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif

User Tag List