March Decluttering Challenge! C'mon and join! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 197 Old 03-27-2008, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so proud of myself. I actually got into the garage, with a lot of help from my DH, & cleared it out. We got several bags of trash... broken items, etc. The garage is now organized! But, tomorrow I have SEVERAL containers that have now been moved into my basement to go through. I can't wait! I am on a roll now & can't wait until I can see the finished product However, it may be a little while. Right now, although I've been going through & purging a lot, my house looks more of a mess because I've everything pulled out everywhere. My plan is to have 80% of this purging done by the end of next week if not sooner . Clutter really can weigh down your mood......so once I get all of this done & organized I can go on to work on projects that I've been wanting to do
#182 of 197 Old 03-28-2008, 10:58 AM

Spring fever, anyone? After making my list, it's been a busier and more fruitful month than I had remembered! Go, me! (Wow, now I'm a little embarrassed at how long this list is, but I'm including house projects because, for me, spiffing things up and taking care of the things we choose to keep is a form of decluttering and simplification. Also my memory might be a little hazy and some of these things might have been done in late February, not March. LOL.)

My accomplishments this month are:

- decluttered and cleaned up the food storage area in the garage along with some other storage tubs
- packed up a whole ton of recycling in my Suburban, including some old stuff that was cluttering the basement (will get rid of it later today)
- start seedlings without making a mess of the room I do it in
- emptied one bookshelf in my kitchen so I could move books from a counter to the shelf, clearing off the counter
- emptied one cabinet in my kitchen so I could move my glass jars of flour from a counter to the cabinet, clearing off the counter
- removed all unnecessary permanent things off the counters - all that is left is the compost bowl, dishdryingrack, soap dish, dishsoap, small tub for scrubbies, small tub for used/gunky washcloths, small cutting board, urn of wooden spoons/whisks/etc. That's it!
- pulled out the stove and fridge and thoroughly cleaned them and the floor underneath them
- degunked all of the kitchen cabinet doors (big job; they were awful) and replaced the cabinet knobs and drawer pulls with new, spiffy ones
- decluttered kids' games, matching random pieces to their games and definitively throwing away unmatching pieces
- reorganized the living room cabinet so there is hideaway space for the kids' games, which were previously inaccessible in a tub
- made space in the boys' closet and moved a garment rack full of costumes from the laundry room to that closet (clearing space in the laundry room)
- worked on my photo organization project, organizing and labeling the backs of a pile of "new" photos and getting ready to do more
- donated a total of four tubs of stuff to the swap shop, along with a bag full of clothes to the thrift shop and three bags full of clothes to my sister
- worked more on getting a list of things ready to e-bay and craigslist and freecycle
- culled through my clothing, and the kids' clothing and books, and pulled out some to donate
- pared down number of blankets in living room to two, and moved extra to closet in boys' room
- moved night diapers from storage drawer in living room to kids' own drawers
- moved yoga mats and supplies from cluttery closet into large empty drawer in living room
- moved all the "second-rate towels" into bathroom under-counter-cabinet so they're accessible but not visible; main closet has only "pretty towels" now
- tidied kitchen odds-and-ends cabinet by putting small things into a rectangular basket on a shelf and reorganizing so that the things we use are most accessible; moved kleenex from countertop into this cabinet so it's hidden but handy
- helped girls declutter their dolls, stuffed animals, and doll clothes so they truly fit in their baskets
- replaced awful, stained, icky toilet with a nice new one, and went from two baskets on the back of it (books, family cloth) to one (family cloth) because it's smaller than the old toilet - looks much neater anyway, and no one read books there but me
- decluttered empty photo frame collection and kept only frames I have specific plans for using
- installed brand-new bedroom mirror that had been languishing in the closet for months
- fixed broken food processor that had been cluttering up a cabinet for a couple of years waiting to be fixed. Not broken = no longer clutter, LOL!
- rearranged comforters so the ones in our bedroom match and the ones in the boys' bedroom match (basically I moved the red plaid one into the girls duvet cover that matches my duvet cover, and moved the white one that was in that duvet cover out to my son's bed - his brother also has a white (er, non-duveted ) comforter so now they match)
- cleaned out fridge (but still need to scrub it)
- freecycled a computer printer
- recycled DH's old cardboard shoeboxes and lined his shoes up neatly under his dresser
- consolidated several years' worth of pre- and post-camping-trip notes into one computer file, and recycled the originals
- had furnace maintenance done for the first time in (too many years)
- moved and vacuumed underneath living room couch and big chair

My current goals are:

- to continue keeping my kitchen clean, with counters clear and dishes done as quickly as possible
- to continue work on preparing all the walls for painting
- to take more steps toward ebaying/selling four tubs of stuff I think have enough value to make it worthwhile (I much prefer to donate, but we need the extra money if I can get it)
- to declutter my desk and continue working on keeping it clutter-free
- to clean out the cabinet under the kitchen sink
- to continue working on specific home improvement projects for selling the house next spring
- to declutter the dressup clothes so they all really and truly fit into their bin
- to continue organizing photos and reducing the amount of space they take up by putting them in albums and on walls
- to get standup magazine file holder thingys for the magazines I intend to keep (anyone have four or five they want to get rid of?)
- continue organizing and decluttering the garage and shed (our main storage spaces)
- replace broken and unsightly miniblind in bedroom
- scrub inside of fridge and maybe also freezer
- looking forward to packing away all the winter clothes and get out the spring clothes, but we are in the middle of a 3-6" snowstorm so who knows when that will be
- move canvas camping tent into the two storage tubs we purchased and find a good place to store it, which probably means moving the cedar chest out of the closet and re-evaluating its use
- replace crushed book storage boxes with uncrushed ones

Whew!!

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#183 of 197 Old 03-28-2008, 11:12 AM

amyamanda: In regards to your whole post, all I can say is "Wow". You are an inspiration (or an over achiever ). Kuddos to you. Keep posting here.

Jill
#184 of 197 Old 03-28-2008, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaof6 View Post
amyamanda: In regards to your whole post, all I can say is "Wow". You are an inspiration (or an over achiever ). Kuddos to you. Keep posting here.
: :

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#185 of 197 Old 03-28-2008, 12:43 PM

Thanks. I used to be an overachiever, but I have been working hard over the past several years to transform myself into someone who is NOT that. Nope, I just had a productive month and got a lot done. (Also my kids are finally at ages where they play independently and help each other out so I don't always have to come running every five minutes to help them with something). I have been working on this decluttering thing for 2-3 years and I think I've come far enough that it's become ingrained in how I live my life. I used to read posts from people on this board who reassessed and potentially decluttered every single thing they touched, and thought I would never be able to become like that, but I think now maybe I have. I truly started that post thinking I hadn't accomplished much this month, but I think it's become a part of my life.

I still have a ways to go, though as you can see by my to-do list. And for anyone who read posts by me a year or two ago, we're still on track to sell our 2400sf house next year and buy land and live in a tent while we build a small (~700sf) cabin. So I have some pretty strong motivating factors at work!

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#186 of 197 Old 03-28-2008, 01:59 PM

#187 of 197 Old 03-28-2008, 01:59 PM

I passed along 49, yes 49! skeins of yarn yesterday!!!!
I have always wanted to make an mix and match granny square afgan so have been buying up all different yarns at the thrifts over the years. Problem is I don't like the feel of itchy afgans!

The other day I met a lady who knits and it hit me without time to think about it like I do at home and offered her 'some yarn'. I dropped a full 13 gal trash bag off at my brother's work and the lady that drives her is susposed to pick it up today! I never told her how much I had been hording so after she rubs her eyes hopefully she will enjoy making something pretty out of it!

It feels nice to of let go of something that I know I will never do!

My total is now 402/zillion & 10 lb paper
#188 of 197 Old 03-30-2008, 02:59 AM

Wow amyamanda! YOU GO GIRL!!!

Well, I thought I was done for the month, but tonight I had the opportunity to open a bottle of wine we've had since our wedding!!! I didn't realize that is where it came from until I had a taste. LOL That bottle of wine has been in our first apartment together and then in this house for nearly NINE years!!! LOL It was a bottle of white dessert wine and we also opened a bottle of red wine that came from my birthday a year and a half ago. Obviously we are not big wine drinkers. We hosted a dinner party for 10 tonight, so both bottles are gone now.

March TOTAL: 63/31

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#189 of 197 Old 03-30-2008, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yesterday dh and I helped his mother declutter in preparation for her move. Does that count?

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#190 of 197 Old 03-30-2008, 03:38 PM

I'm not keeping score, but yesterday I got rid of a desk, a box of computer parts, a huge monitor, a few bags of trash, and a lot of cat hair.. I also bought a new desk chair, I had been using a straight back wooden chair for the past two years, and a mat to go under it. I vac'ed the carpets, baseboards, walls and mini blinds, and washed the desk with soap and water.

it didn't occur to me to take a picture until I was halfway done, so I don't have any good before pictures (well, I have one with my DH's butt crack exposed, and he asked me not to post it )

finished desk

finished reading nook

goals: donate two more monitors and a basket of clothes.
#191 of 197 Old 03-30-2008, 03:52 PM

I surpassed my goal of 50 for this month and we had the baby

Anyway, my guess is that I donated/tossed/sold about 75 items this month. Next month I will be back in again for more - I've already started to sort out my closet

I browsed the thread quickly -- way to go everyone
#192 of 197 Old 03-30-2008, 11:48 PM

I made my goal for March. But instead of spring cleaning fever I have sewing fever.
#193 of 197 Old 03-31-2008, 07:14 PM

I still have a ways to go! Let's see, last I posted I still had 32 items to go. I got rid of two end tables, but then I picked up a pair of shoes for my son (fifty cents for the perfect shoes--what a score!) and a small stuffed animal--so that was a wash. Hey, at least the two new items were a lot smaller, right? Then I threw out three broken toys. So now I'm down to 29. I have sorted a lot of paper but haven't tossed it yet because a lot of the papers ought to be shredded first--but tonight I'll go through those and actually toss the ones that don't need to be shredded. And I think I have at least 29 donateables in a box--I'll have to count and then do a late-night Goodwill run. So I think I can still make both of my goals tonight!
#194 of 197 Old 03-31-2008, 11:47 PM

okay I'm done, no more for this month, my count stands at 402 and 10 pounds of paper and since my goal was a zillion I think I actually did pretty good considering a zillion really isn't a number.

I was so afraid that I would not meet my goal so I didn't want to set one but then again I didn't want to really not have one either.

It's been nice to be able to come post here and stay accountable.

Saw there's an April starting up... off to post in that one now to keep motivated, think maybe if I keep at this until say June or July of say 2058 I might be completly clutter free

Will be checking back here to see if others have felt good about what they have accomplished. Congrats everyone!
#195 of 197 Old 04-01-2008, 01:10 AM

Well, I set an ambitious goal for this month, and really thought for a while that I could pull it off. As it turned out, though, my decluttering efforts have slowed down a lot in the last couple of weeks. This was partly due to external factors (Easter, children's illnesses), but also to some motivational problems on my part. All this time, I had been under the impression that there was an attractive and cosy home hiding under all the clutter. Once it was cleared away, though, I realized that our house is still unappealing, shabby, and generally blah. In hindsight, I never really had time to decorate and fix this place up to my liking. We had baby #2 shortly after moving in here, and it's been nonstop ever since. (Not to mention that we were only supposed to be living her "temporarily," i.e. for 6 months or so, and it's now been 3 years and counting. )

There's much decluttering still to be done, but I'm going to take a couple of weeks' break to do some decorating: hanging a few favorite pictures (now that I've found the picture hooks)... making some curtains with the fabric I bought when we moved in (now that I've found the sewing machine)... maybe getting a couple of new throw rugs (now that I've found the floor ).

Anyway, before this funk hit, I did manage to bring all the previously boxed-up stuff to the thrift shop, bringing the final total to:

724/2038
#196 of 197 Old 04-01-2008, 11:48 PM

Well, I reached my paper goal today of 200 pieces of paper/brochures/pieces of junk mail. Woo-hoo! And I got started on April's goal of 1000 papers. I got rid of 9 other items, leaving me 20 shy of reaching my non-paper goal for March. That's okay though--I was away from home for a week, so that'll be my excuse.

so: paper goal reached!!!

And I feel good that I'm making progress!
#197 of 197 Old 04-02-2008, 01:07 AM

389/2008

I haven't been keeping up well with posting or counting, for that matter. My last post was February 11th and I know I've gotten rid of quite a few things since then. We've just been busy with birthdays and holidays. I'll be conservative and call it 75.

464/2008

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page