March Decluttering Challenge! C'mon and join! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 197 Old 03-01-2008, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let's chuck out that clutter. What are your goals for the month?

I am hoping to finally start to attack the horror that is the spare room/walk in closet upstairs. I would like go for another 300 items purged this month.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#2 of 197 Old 03-01-2008, 11:16 AM

I'm in... but only for a modest 50

I'm due this week, and I'm not sure how much energy I have left to declutter!

I'm going to go ahead and count the two items I sold yesterday because I didn't count them for February:

- 2 pushing/riding toys sold

2/50
#3 of 197 Old 03-01-2008, 11:39 AM

I'm in.

My Goal... a zillion! yes, I'm motivated... lets see what I get done!

updated 4:30 pm 3-1
126/zillion

12 bathroom
31 fabric
15 sewing
9 my dresser
33 cedar closet
26 catch all
126 TOTAL
#4 of 197 Old 03-01-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightheart View Post

Too funny!

I had that kind of motivation in January, but as the belly gets bigger, I am sloooowing down!
#5 of 197 Old 03-01-2008, 03:09 PM

Removed
#6 of 197 Old 03-01-2008, 03:16 PM

I'm in, but not sure what to set for a goal. If I can get any decluttering done, it will be a victory.. having a newborn makes it tough to complete anything!

But, we'll say.. 50 items.

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#7 of 197 Old 03-01-2008, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm in! I'm going to set a goal of 50 items and see where that gets me.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#8 of 197 Old 03-01-2008, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm in.

0/zillion
Good luck with your very lofty goal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNRPMom
Hello All. Can a Newbie join in? Haven't been able to find an "Introduce Yourself" thread so I hope this is ok.
Of course you can! Anyone can post here to keep track of their decluttering efforts. Welcome!

#9 of 197 Old 03-01-2008, 05:37 PM

I want to get moving on decluttering, but I don't really get the counting items thing. But I'm looking to move this summer, and I don't want to drag more stuff than I need.

This month I want to do:

My son's toys.
My clothes.
I've decluttered most of my papers, but I don't have a system that works, so they're piling up again. I want to devise a better system.
I have two magazine subscriptions, and I'm going to dump both of them.
#10 of 197 Old 03-01-2008, 06:52 PM

I'm really enjoying this, 126 things are boxed up ready to leave this house and I've only been at it 7 hours.

It's the easy stuff though, things that I know should leave, things I have set out on top from before that I had plans to get rid of. Once I do this intial sweep through the house it will get tougher, like looking in my dresser, sure I got rid of some, but looking at my T shirts, I have way too many, but I don't want to really go through them quite yet because I'm still wearing cold weather stuff... excuses escuses escuses.

Today it's been easy counting things, I keep a little note pad and I've been jotting down to do's as I work so whenever I write something down I'll write a number and it's fun to sit and total it up. This is the first time I have ever counted the things that are leaving.

I'm done for the night though, bath water is hot, going to wash me and the boys and go treat us to Chinese buffet so I don't have to cook! :

Oh and in my totals I did not count the birdfeeder that we finally hung outside and the chocolate bar I ate that was stashed in my sewing area

It really is a good feeling to purge so get moving Mamas and Papas!
#11 of 197 Old 03-01-2008, 06:54 PM

I'm in for 31. Yeah, it's only a little, but I'm a recovering pack rat. Plus, I've added my personal rule of it *must* actually be out of the house to count. I have boxes of stuff "decluttered" that I mean to sell, or donate to charity, or put on freecycle, or whatever.
#12 of 197 Old 03-02-2008, 12:35 AM

i'm in for 167 - i am trying to do 2008 in 2008, and that breaks down to 167 or so a month! (i like to manage things in like-size chunks...). i was over 170 for noth january and february, so let's see if i can do march! i have been doing units - shelf and drawer at work, one of the bookcases, &c. i think march might be time to tackle the kitchen!
#13 of 197 Old 03-02-2008, 01:26 AM

300 for me this month!

0/300

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#14 of 197 Old 03-02-2008, 02:16 AM

Can I join you too?

I've actually already been doing this lately. I'm really trying to simplify our home and lives. My goal this month is to get through my garage and only have what I absolutely need still in there when I'm through.

I'll pick 200 as my number...

0/200

Tara - nurse and wife to a nurse, mama to four, Izak (7/28/99), Liam (9/25/06), Freya (5/28/08) and Luna (5/19/10)
#15 of 197 Old 03-02-2008, 02:20 AM

Removed
#16 of 197 Old 03-02-2008, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm really enjoying this, 126 things are boxed up ready to leave this house and I've only been at it 7 hours.

It's the easy stuff though, things that I know should leave, things I have set out on top from before that I had plans to get rid of. Once I do this intial sweep through the house it will get tougher, like looking in my dresser, sure I got rid of some, but looking at my T shirts, I have way too many, but I don't want to really go through them quite yet because I'm still wearing cold weather stuff... excuses escuses escuses.

Today it's been easy counting things, I keep a little note pad and I've been jotting down to do's as I work so whenever I write something down I'll write a number and it's fun to sit and total it up. This is the first time I have ever counted the things that are leaving.

I'm done for the night though, bath water is hot, going to wash me and the boys and go treat us to Chinese buffet so I don't have to cook! :

Oh and in my totals I did not count the birdfeeder that we finally hung outside and the chocolate bar I ate that was stashed in my sewing area

It really is a good feeling to purge so get moving Mamas and Papas!
Great start!!!

I managed to get rid of nine things yesterday. Woo-hoo! I guess that's not so bad considering I got that many mostly from just decluttering the coat rack.

9/300

#17 of 197 Old 03-02-2008, 08:35 AM

I have had a part-time maid for the last few years (part of the culture here, AND not to mention twin pregnancy and twins!). Well, I fired her. Leaving my iron on upstairs for 2 days was the straw that broke the camel's back. Sooooo, as I've been trying to figure out where to start, I'm shocked to find just how much is dirty that either A) it's gotten that way so fast because I can't keep up or B) it never got cleaned well by the maid. Other thing is, the maid didn't organize my piles or junk for me, because well, she can't read English and surely can't tell what goes where unless I show her where it goes.

I live in less than 800 sq. ft.

And now for my big confession: I'm a piler. I have piles everywhere. Wanna know where? Kitchen: next to the front door, 3 on the counter, on top of the fridge, on top of the microwave. Kid's Room: on top of both cabinets, top of the changing table (been doing diapers on the floor), inside a wardrobe, in the extra bed. Spare bathroom: top of the washer, next to the washer, back of the toilet (which has the front HALF of the seat missing). Dining/Living/Main room: 3 piles on the table, on on each side of the TV, one on each side of the shelves on the TV stand, 3 on top of my upright piano, the whole top of the keyboard part of the piano, the piano bench, tops of all the bookshelves and inside the bookshelves, inside one of the 2 playpens for the babies, between the playpen and sofa. My bedroom: under the beds, tops of the wardrobes, 2 piles on my vanity table, inside my wardrobe, next to the bed, one behind the computer chair, one under the computer table, in front of my bookshelf, teetering on top of the bookshelf, next to the laundry pile(s), in a corner.

Does it sound that bad? Cuz it sure feels bad. I was barely managing with help 4 hr a day to just get dinner on the table for my family. Caring for my children takes all of my time. DH might as well be child #5... I've had the new toilet seat sitting there waiting for it to be put on. Won't pick up after himself. Won't take out even the garbage. His duties consist of: going to work, taking older 2 out for 30min in the evening, helping with bedtime routine. That's it. I feel like I"m drowning. I want to hire more help but don't want my children attached to someone else, AND it would take me weeks to train the person.

I'm going to try to do it myself. Have decided to start up with FlyLady again. Printed off my routines yesterday. Here I go. Anyone wanna do before and after pictures?

Goal for this month: 300. Is this reasonable? 10 a day?

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#18 of 197 Old 03-02-2008, 11:08 AM

-- stack of papers shredded and recycled
-- misc crayons and junk from kitchen drawer

Someone was supposed to come and pick up something from Freecycle today, but bailed :

We're really overdue for a drop-off to the thrift store. Maybe Tuesday...

5/50
#19 of 197 Old 03-02-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
MamaRabbit:
I read your post earlier and didn't have time to reply, but I see you lowered your goal now. I think your new goal sounds attainable! It will also depend on how you decide to count your items. Some people count each item, some count by bag, some don't count - they just look for progress in a room!

It sounds like you have a lot going on, so I think setting daily goals of 10 a day is doable -- especially if some of your piles are paper (like on my desk )

Good luck to you!
#20 of 197 Old 03-02-2008, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit
I think so. Dedicate some time to it every day and if your house is anything like mine you'll have 300 in no time.

Cleaned out the cookbook/assorted junk cabinet in the dining room and managed to get 36 items out of here. Boy, did I have a ton of redundant baking tomes! Going to Goodwill now to donate them.

45/300

#21 of 197 Old 03-02-2008, 01:34 PM

OK then I'll try for 10 a day. Anything I toss or give away counts, and so I don't feel like I'm getting nothing done... every paper's gonna count.

0/300

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#22 of 197 Old 03-02-2008, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapadoozer View Post
Cleaned out the cookbook/assorted junk cabinet in the dining room and managed to get 36 items out of here..... Going to Goodwill now to donate them.

45/300

THis is exactly part of my plan today!!!
#23 of 197 Old 03-02-2008, 02:31 PM

Joining in!

I'm going to number goals instead of items, is that allowed???

Goals for March:
Clean out donation closet, give away what needs to be given away, sell what needs to be sold.
Clear all unnecessary paperwork from office and recycle.
Take all recyclables to center.
Clean out closets of unused or outgrown clothes, donate.

So that's, let's see, four. If I count every item of clutter that will be going out the door with those four, I'd estimate a number around 300...I have a lot of clothes .

So...

0/4
#24 of 197 Old 03-02-2008, 02:48 PM

Joining in for my no counting solution but starting this morning with the mystery boxes left from last month and then I will work on the downstairs closets which will be a lot more satisfying.
#25 of 197 Old 03-02-2008, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidynElyMama View Post
Joining in!

I'm going to number goals instead of items, is that allowed???
Of course! Some people like counting and some people don't. Whatever works for you is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68
THis is exactly part of my plan today!!!
Oh, neat! It felt so good to drop those books off. I open that cabinet to admire it's tidiness every time I walk by.

#26 of 197 Old 03-02-2008, 05:30 PM

All right, I'm in. I never used to like the idea of counting the things I get rid of, because when I tried to come up with a number, I would think "well it depends." But I plainly do have a lot more stuff than I need, so I might as well join in here. I'm setting my goal low--100--because I'm insisting that the item actually be out of the house before I count it (stuff designated for donation/selling/etc tends to sit around for a while here).

And on top of that I'm going to make the rule that for every new thing that comes into the house, something else has to go. So yesterday I bought two children's books at Goodwill and a sanding block thing...which means I have to get rid of three more things in addition to the 100.

So the total is...

0/103
#27 of 197 Old 03-02-2008, 05:50 PM

I'm feeling really motivated right now, so I'm going to join in too and hopefully make decluttering a habit rather than an only-when-I'm-nesting thing.

I'm not really sure what is reasonable as a number goal, but I do know that my main focus for the month is going to be on our spare bedroom (which is also my craft room and an all-purpose storage room). I spent all day yesterday clearing out the closet and filled 4 boxes with things that are going away. Yay! I also need to prune some books to make more shelf space. Hmmm, I think I'll shoot for 300. But I'm not going back and counting yesterday.

0/300
#28 of 197 Old 03-02-2008, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Oh I'd love to join y'all also!

I generally keep on top of clutter, but as I was cleaning for DS's b-day party I noticed a lot more can go.
We are having a yard sale at the end of the month!
My husband is a pack rat and its hard over here.
So, I'm gonna shoot for 300, this month.

1/300
#29 of 197 Old 03-02-2008, 08:52 PM

I'm glad to see my fellow Mama Rabbit here.

I don't have any set goals, but I try to get something done every night after everyone's asleep before the evening nursing session. I've gotten a LOT done so far. We're also moving cross-country soon so this is great timing. And DH is a pack-rat but even he has been commenting on the improved atmosphere. I consider that success for sure!

I've recently revived a blog in which (among other things) I detail my de-cluttering journey. My goal, I guess, is to keep it up?
#30 of 197 Old 03-02-2008, 09:07 PM

I'll join this month, I am trying to really catch up and get things cleaned up for two reasons this month:
1. i don't have anyone due, so I am a little more free time and I want to get a jump when the babies start coming again!
2. My mom and sister are coming up at easter, they only see my house once per year, so I want to get it together. i always do better when I have a goal

Sounds good, I'll be back to post my updates!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page