Do you save old phone bills, bank statements, etc? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-02-2008, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter
DBZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you do, what do you save? For how long? And where do you keep it? I find myself getting to the end of a pile of paperwork that I've hung on too and being torn as to whether I should throw away a bank statement or whatever. I've only once can recall refering back to an old phone bill, but that little nag in me that wants to be a pack rat says, "what if you need that?" Ugh! I so long for that clean and organized house I used to have....seems like centuries ago.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#2 of 14 Old 03-02-2008, 03:08 AM

I do keep things like bills that I can't access online, but when I do a cleaning of the filing cabinet (usually a couple times a year) I throw out all the oldest stuff. When I pay the bill, I write the online bill-pay confirmation number on it and file it. My bank statements are available online for the last 18 months, so I never keep them.
#3 of 14 Old 03-02-2008, 03:27 AM

I do.

I have all of my past bills, statements and pay stubs and all of that stuff for the past 9 years.

I don't know what it's staying around for, but I can't bear to part with it. I'm convinced that I'm going to need it. And actually, I have used the pay stubs to remind me what months I started/finished jobs for my resume.

Rebecca, CPST, Navy wife to Chris, furmama to Fenway
#4 of 14 Old 03-02-2008, 04:02 AM

i save it, but i rarely need it. i'm afraid to toss it so i'm slowly organizing and filing it all.
#5 of 14 Old 03-02-2008, 04:19 AM

In my last office/filing declutter I got rid of things from places that would have all the bills/statements electronically stored (bank, power, phone etc). The only things I kept were from small business owner type places. I spoke to a bank guy when we were talking about our home mortgage as to whether I needed to keep them and he said no as the bank is required to keep them on file if required. Also, my bank has an option to not receive statements anyway, so I don't physically get anymore now.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#6 of 14 Old 03-03-2008, 01:52 AM

I save just about everything!! I have a bunch of those accordian looking filing folders full of just...any paper work you could imagine...i am a paper work pack rat
#7 of 14 Old 03-03-2008, 09:05 AM

Nope I don't save any of them! I pay all my bills online through my bank - NOT through the billing company (gas/electric, phone co, cable bill) etc.

I can access all my bank info online for eightteen months and can get a print out from the bankfor further back than that if necessary!
#8 of 14 Old 03-03-2008, 06:06 PM

I only save Dh's pay stubs and tax papers/statements.
#9 of 14 Old 03-03-2008, 07:55 PM

Right now I save everything however I would like to do like sewsew does!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsew View Post
Nope I don't save any of them! I pay all my bills online through my bank - NOT through the billing company (gas/electric, phone co, cable bill) etc.

I can access all my bank info online for eightteen months and can get a print out from the bankfor further back than that if necessary!
#10 of 14 Old 03-03-2008, 08:28 PM

I only save bills until I see that the payment has been credited on the next month's bill, then I toss it. (So I only have one bill for each utility/service at a time.) I save paystubs for one year, then toss. (I keep the W2s with that year's taxes and save indefinitely.)

DH on the other hand saves every freaking scrap of paper. Boxes and boxes of it. I've slowly started throwing his stuff out without telling him. I don't even think he'll notice until one day the boxes are gone, maybe not even then. Last week I shredded and recycled his phone bills and rent payment receipts from 1992!!!

FlyLady is great for working through this kind of clutter. I FlyLady.
#11 of 14 Old 08-04-2014, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I used to....but stopped several years back and recently discarded all of my old ones. We do everything electronic now....so thankfully most of my mail is junk mail that goes straight to the trash once it enters the house. =)

ps...most info can be found online at your bank or service provider
#12 of 14 Old 08-04-2014, 10:00 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I only keep tax returns and W-2s. Absolutely nothing else. I figure everyone else in the world files better than I do. So if I need a piece of paper, someone else has it, and can find it more easily than I can. This has been my habit for the last several decades, and it has never been a problem yet. So far; so good, knock on wood.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#13 of 14 Old 08-05-2014, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am saving my bills all the time, I'm afraid that if I throw it away I might need it soon. But If I do some cleaning stuff I end up throwing up old bills and bank statements.
#14 of 14 Old 08-08-2014, 10:36 AM

I kept all my bills, bank statement and other receipts in a box. I have lots of bills and I sort it by month. I use to keep it until the year ends and shredded it after. You can use decorative boxes in keeping your bills.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page