The POSTABLE challenge-- join me! Update #62 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 74 Old 03-11-2008, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have become too addicted to MDC this winter. Seriously. My housekeeping has suffered.

Last spring I had entirely decluttered my home and it looked GREAT! And I shared photos of the whole apartment on my blog. It was so freeing and wonderful! Today, I can only reminisce. Sadly, I cannot take pictures of my home today, they would be embarassing. Okay, it's not THAT bad, but you know, it's gotten cluttered and disorganized again. I need to start over. And do a little scrubbing here and there while I'm at it.

So, I am going to challenge myself to post a "tour of our home" on my blog again. And I am staying away from MDC in the meantime-- no posting allowed-- well, maybe just a teeny bit on this thread to help me stay motivated -- until my home is POSTABLE-- that is, good-looking enough to share on my blog.

Anyone want to join me in this challenge? Can you make your home look good enough for sharing on your blog or elsewhere in a photo tour-- in time for this spring? I'm giving myself about three weeks-- hoping to finsih before my vacation in April, which also coincides with Treasure Mapping. you can give yourself your own time frame.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 74 Old 03-12-2008, 03:37 AM

i'm in. I posted a thread a couple weeks ago about decluttering my house in six weeks, and i did do some stuff, well a lot really, but i REALLY need to get back on this wagon, we go the flu really bad and i hate to admit after that set back i just never got motivated/inspired enuf to jump back on, but i HAVE to do it now, i will not will not will not be stuck inside this spring weighted down by the stupid messy house excuse anylonger, i want to be ready, so i am in w/you. i will report on this thread, but otherwise i think i will tell the other boards i go to that i am out of the loop for at least the next two weeks. thank you for inspiration! and hopefully we can post pics of our new clean/clear spaces at the end. i have to, i think that is a big part of the motivation, being accountable in some way shape or form .

#3 of 74 Old 03-12-2008, 09:09 AM

Hi! I just saw your post over on the Style thread! I am in the same boat, so count me in! I use email as my primary source of communication and it is just too easy to check on these boards while I am checking email, then I get sucked in and lose too much time.

I have such a need/ itch to get the house in shape for spring. I want to do it before the spring weather is here because by then I'll want to be outside enjoying it!!!!

I will try to limit my time to my morning coffee/wake up time before the kids are up and once I have finished for the day. The laptop is going up and away during the day so that those pesky email alerts don't distract me .
#4 of 74 Old 03-12-2008, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Yay! I have company! Good luck to you, ladies!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#5 of 74 Old 03-12-2008, 01:45 PM

i love this challenge! i always wrinkle my nose at the "post pics of your clean/clear space" (or whatever it is) thread, because right now there is NO WAY i could do that. hmm, i think i'll try to do one room per week.

i have a friend coming over to help me clean this weekend. i just have to find someone to watch the babies while we work.
#6 of 74 Old 03-12-2008, 01:59 PM

I'm in.
#7 of 74 Old 03-12-2008, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Hello, new brave spring-cleaners!

So, I just decluttered and reorganized my desk area! Yay! Whew, that got my dust allergies going.

#8 of 74 Old 03-12-2008, 04:45 PM

I'm in too. My internet addiction is seriously not helping me have the life I want.. blah. Computer's going off for the afternoon, it's cleaning time!

#9 of 74 Old 03-12-2008, 09:30 PM

ok quick update, after i posted on this thread last night i worked on my kitchen for two hours (well almost two hours anywayk, an hour and fifty min.). I got a lot done, so i feel good now that i have at least one room in the house that is good. i will have more to do in there in a bit but i want to get some other rooms out of the way before i enter back into the kitchen to declutter. my room/diningroom/living room are first, then kitchen. anyway i do feel good that i got it nice and decent and clean. cleared out the fridge too, that always feels good. i do need to mop today/tonight too tho. i am hoping to get all the reg. daily chores done before kids go bed like laundry dishes picking up etc. so that i can start working on my room as soon as they go to bed and hopefully get a good 2-3 hours in before i go to bed. anyway, rambled. hope everyone is doing awesome! keep us updated! i love hearing how much stuff everyone else is getting done !
#10 of 74 Old 03-12-2008, 09:44 PM

I got a lot done in the kitchen today - feeling pretty good about it, too. I got my counters and stove clean, and started on the fridge. I can only work so long in there (kitchen is my most-hated room) so I started decluttering the buffet which is a huge clutter-magnet in our apartment. Literally piles and piles of it. Went through all of the paper, shredded what needed shredding and filed what needed filing.

Taking a break for dinner and Battlestar Galactica () and then I'll finish up the fridge and start on the dishwasher (another clutter magnet)...

#11 of 74 Old 03-12-2008, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

The kitchen is my most feared room, too. It's hard because I can't do anything in the kitchen when the boys are sleeping, because the bedroom is literally two feet from the kitchen, and it would wake them up. And it's hard to get much done in the kitchen when my little one is awake because he wants to get into everything I'm doing if I'm in there. /vent

#12 of 74 Old 03-12-2008, 10:00 PM

Oh yeah I'd like to have the apartment done for April, too - since we're going to be having speech therapists in every week for my son starting then. It should be doable. I hope

#13 of 74 Old 03-13-2008, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

I'm going to attack the kitchen today!

#14 of 74 Old 03-13-2008, 12:38 PM

Hey hey, I'm in! Cleaned up the kitchen yesterday, but MY FRIDGE IS SO STINKY. I must scrub rancid tupperware. Sigh.

But I'm really going to do it today.

Really.

Off to light some incense and try to be brave.
#15 of 74 Old 03-13-2008, 03:55 PM

update! my mom is coming from out of town to watch my babes while i work hard on my house saturday with my friend - actually, my aunt. dh is going to work on his "studio" (aka, trash closet) in the basement.

honestly, i don't even want to think about the science experiments growing in my fridge. when i post pics, it will be with the refrigerator door CLOSED. :P no, i really will get in there. i promise. but i might have to throw a couple items in the trash.

off to determine my plan of attack for saturday!
#16 of 74 Old 03-13-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post
honestly, i don't even want to think about the science experiments growing in my fridge.

My science experiments were about to eat me. I've been avoiding it for weeks but the smell was killing me!

Does anyone else ever find it almost disconcerting to have a day where you have tons of energy and run around like a crazy woman? Today, I've cleaned out the fridge (including scrubbing all the stinky tupperware, tossing old condiments and such, and scrubbing the whole inside of the fridge), taken an entire carload to the dump (we don't have trash pickup), done about 4 loads of laundry and actually put it away, along with the usual mommy stuff like giving the baby a bath, and lots of other little random things.

I'm a little worried that this is one of those things that lead me to sit around for another several months. I'm like SuperLady today. WTF! I mean, it rules, but WHY???

I have theories:

a) I woke up angry.
b) I took a shower immediately.
c) I made a cup of coffee first thing but I still have some at almost 5pm, I've been sipping it.
d) I haven't been on the computer much.
e) I've been getting protein at various intervals-- a turkey sammich and some sunflower seeds.
f) Maybe the state of my house has finally made me snap.

Good luck everyone!
Heather
#17 of 74 Old 03-13-2008, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

re: having one of those days . . . I think sometimes it's just the energy of the day . . . Want to send some of that SuperLady energy this way?

So I tackled the laundry and the kitchen today. Not all of the kitchen, but did some decluttering and reorganizing, and that feels good. I still feel pretty stumped about where to put some random stuff. This random stuff is sitting in a basket on the kitchen counter. Maybe I'll post it on here later if I just can't figure out what to do with it.

*sigh* Oh, I decluttered our wardrobes some too. I feel awful putting some of my clothing items in the thrift store pile because they represent expensive wardrobing mistakes, some of them fairly recent. Makes me feel really guilty.

#18 of 74 Old 03-14-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
re: having one of those days . . . I think sometimes it's just the energy of the day . . . Want to send some of that SuperLady energy this way?

So I tackled the laundry and the kitchen today. Not all of the kitchen, but did some decluttering and reorganizing, and that feels good. I still feel pretty stumped about where to put some random stuff. This random stuff is sitting in a basket on the kitchen counter. Maybe I'll post it on here later if I just can't figure out what to do with it.

*sigh* Oh, I decluttered our wardrobes some too. I feel awful putting some of my clothing items in the thrift store pile because they represent expensive wardrobing mistakes, some of them fairly recent. Makes me feel really guilty.
I get those bursts of energy too. Just not often enough!

I did the kitchen recently so that looks pretty good (aside from the floor needing a good old fashioned scrubbing on my hands and knees). Yesterday I took my swiffer with an old cloth diaper and swiped the walls - I was surprised at the dust it picked up. Then I did the woodwork in the living room and dining room. I am staring at the top and working my way down.

I hear you about the random stuff. I always end up with baskets of random stuff as well. I find that it is often either just junk that I can get rid of and never miss, or stuff that I use all the time and need to have easily accessible.
#19 of 74 Old 03-14-2008, 03:41 PM

Hey I think I'll join in this challenge! I'm on a huge time crunch, family is coming in next Friday and my house is a disorganized cluttered mess! I have to organize, clean out, scrub clean, and finish a ton of sewing before Thursday night.

Here's my tentative schedule:

Today:
Finish I Spy pouches
Clean out clothes

Saturday:
Clean out Hall Closet
Clean Green Room and Closet
Work on Quilt

Sunday:
Finish Quilt
Clean Hallway

Monday:
Scrub Bathroom
Clean Yellow Room
Make Fabric Blocks

Tuesday:
Spring Clean Living Room
Make Fabric Blocks

Wednesday:
Clean, Wash, Vacuum Van
Spring Clean Carport and Laundry Room
Spring Clean Kitchen

Thursday:
Finish Kitchen
Cut Grass & clean up yard
Spring Clean Red Room
Move storage items to attic
Bring items to 2nd hand store or Goodwill

yikes! wish me luck!!

mama to DD (8/03)ribboncesarean.gif, DS (8/06)vbac.gif missing my sunflower baby (m/c 6/09), DS (6/10) vbac.gif, and DS (9/13) vbac.gif
#20 of 74 Old 03-14-2008, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Good luck!

Hey, let's all try to remember to be kind and patient with our families as we work on our spring clean projects! (Don't know what made me think of that . . . )

#21 of 74 Old 03-14-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Good luck!

Hey, let's all try to remember to be kind and patient with our families as we work on our spring clean projects! (Don't know what made me think of that . . . )
great reminder

got the clothes sorted and now off to sew!

mama to DD (8/03)ribboncesarean.gif, DS (8/06)vbac.gif missing my sunflower baby (m/c 6/09), DS (6/10) vbac.gif, and DS (9/13) vbac.gif
#22 of 74 Old 03-14-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupestur View Post
My science experiments were about to eat me. I've been avoiding it for weeks but the smell was killing me!

Does anyone else ever find it almost disconcerting to have a day where you have tons of energy and run around like a crazy woman? Today, I've cleaned out the fridge (including scrubbing all the stinky tupperware, tossing old condiments and such, and scrubbing the whole inside of the fridge), taken an entire carload to the dump (we don't have trash pickup), done about 4 loads of laundry and actually put it away, along with the usual mommy stuff like giving the baby a bath, and lots of other little random things.

I'm a little worried that this is one of those things that lead me to sit around for another several months. I'm like SuperLady today. WTF! I mean, it rules, but WHY???
Totally butting in to this thread, because I want to say, can we have a thread on this issue? Ay yi yi. I know from whence you come.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#23 of 74 Old 03-15-2008, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

How's everyone doing?

Things get so messy around here on weekends! It seems to be as much as I can do to try to just keep up with the mess as it's being made. Still, I feel really good about what overall progress I've made.

#24 of 74 Old 03-16-2008, 01:39 AM

Quote:
How's everyone doing?
I've deviated from my schedule, just staying flexible with my kids in tow. Got most of the yard work/ outside cleaning done. All of the clothes have been sorted and bagged for Goodwill. And the green room is almost finished being decluttered.

Tomorrow I'll try to get more sewing finished and finish spring cleaning the green room and get the hall closet decluttered and organized.

I do understand what you mean about messy weekends. My kitchen has exploded with dirty dishes!

Hope everyone is having success!

#25 of 74 Old 03-16-2008, 02:22 PM

I remember those photos on your blog! Your apartment DID look GREAT! You can do it again.

I am oh, so slowly working on this.

Right now I have two containers of cookie cutters I need to sort through ( I don't even BAKE cut out cookies! I've done it TWICE, but I own a bajillion cookie cutters! )

I have a pile of clothes I pulled out of my closet to get rid of, but I set them on a chair...still deciding on whether or not to let go of a few things...and I need to make up my mind and either put the few items back in the closet or let them go. Or at least get the things off the chair that I KNOW I want to get rid of.

I could make one more run through the upstairs ( hit the hutches, clean out the kitchen cabinets again, make a small effort to get the boys to tidy up their closets/drawers, and make another run through my closet/drawers.)

The basement...it's BAD! It's WORSE than it was when I started decluttering. Dh says he'll help me, but he doesn't have time right now. I need to get a space cleared out down there to work, then do what I can on my own. I am also afraid of the spiders down there.

I have a decluttering blog, but I haven't posted on it in nearly a month! :

Thanks for the inspiration to continue.

Subbing.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#26 of 74 Old 03-16-2008, 02:27 PM

P.S. I have a packrat husband and ds#2 is a collector...

Ds#1 has basement boxes to go through, too. I am thinking about just sealing them with his name on them, stacking them...and letting him sort through them when he gets his first real apartment and they go WITH him when he moves out.

I am a reformed/reforming packrat.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#27 of 74 Old 03-16-2008, 05:15 PM

things have been going pretty well here, not superawesomegreat but decent. i have been working on my desk in the day time (in the main area of the house) so that i can work on my bedroom at night (something i have to do by myself so kids have to be in bed for me to do it). i am trying to use my time wisely (it's something i am having to learn ) so while i am sitting at my desk in the morning for an hour drinking my coffee and coming to life i should/could/am decluttering my desk since i am sitting here anyway kwim. also could work on teh kitchen/living room while kids are up, so i need to do that, and remember to keep doing it lol. i am used to do most all of my work at night after they go to bed but i am realizing that in order to stay on my little time schedule i must get stuff done in the day time as well as night. so, anywho, on that note i should get busy. i have to say it's kind of fun/exciting getting rid of stuff, i just wish there were a couple more hours in the day or a little bit more moments when the 3 and 5 yr old weren't fighting so much that i can't get anything done : .
#28 of 74 Old 03-19-2008, 08:52 AM

I had to search for this thread so I guess you have all been busy rather than posting here . I haven't been so good. My ds has been sick and clingy, and now I feel like I am coming down with it. Today I will really work on the living room. Clean up the furniture, pick up the rug and see what sort of scary stuff has worked its way under there, start on decluttering my bills/paperwork area.

My local LLL is taking donations for a yard sale fundraiser so I am going to see what I can get rid of. I am more motivated when I have a deadline rather than just dropping things off at the thriftshop whenever.
#29 of 74 Old 03-19-2008, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

My progress has been slow but continuous. I am having trouble feeling motivated and just keeping up with the daily mess that is created seems daunting enough. :P

#30 of 74 Old 03-19-2008, 11:15 AM

I might be in! I'll try my best. My problem is that I get one room under control, and then another one gets screwed up in the meantime.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page