What to do w old socks w no mates? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 03-24-2008, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sock puppets, cat toys, cleaning tools...
#32 of 35 Old 03-24-2008, 06:22 PM

I like to give socks to DD1 (5) to clean with. It probably doesn't do much, but she loves it, and it is easier for her to use then a rag. eventually, she'll just start playing with it. I keep them with my rag pile. Sometimes a sock will find its mate and be liberated, or a matching sock will lose its pair due to a hole, and then I have a back up!

Clean socks (no lint, ect) dipped in cold water are great for a teething baby or in case they bite their gums/lip (this just happened to us yesterday).
#33 of 35 Old 03-28-2008, 12:14 AM

I use ours for dirty jobs around the house that I don't want to wash the rag after using, I just used a couple for cleaning the oven.
Other cleaning jobs I use them for are, cleaning the fat out of the pan, I either burn it or throw them away. Dog poop off dd's shoes. Areas like behind the bathtub or washer and dryer. Take to the park or yard to dry off swings or slides of clean a mess off them, then you can toss them in the garbabe if you don't want to carry them home. Washing the car tires. Outdoor window washing. You get the picture. I am sure there is a lot more cleaning you do other than dusting

We also do family cloth so the soft cotton ones I cut up and use for that. They are great!!

I am shocked at any one saying just throw them out! There is automatically a million uses for them if you are purchasing any disposable paper products like toilet paper, swifer whatever, paper towels, etc.

Mama to two beautiful children. 

#34 of 35 Old 03-28-2008, 12:59 AM

We make dog toys out of them, or fill them with rice for heating bags.

Rebecca, CPST, Navy wife to Chris, furmama to Fenway
#35 of 35 Old 03-30-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
I use dh's old cotton ones to clean up the hard floors.... I leave them in a bag under the kitchen sink and when there are spills and yuck, but not enough to mop (or I just don't have the time, or OOMPH to do so) I throw on a pair (I've been known to put them on over shoes and spritz the floor with cleaner and "skate" it clean It's even kind of fun!

That's funny. I came home from work one day to find the kitchen floor clean. I asked my dh if he mopped. He said his socks got wet, so he bachelor mopped.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page