What to do w old socks w no mates? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 03-16-2008, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just finished decluttering DH's sock drawer and have about 30 black socks w no mate. I hate to trash things but I don't think goodwill takes one footed socks. Don't need them for dusting. Any other options or is this just trash?
Thanks
p.s I love decluttering and donating but hate to throw things in the trash
#2 of 35 Old 03-16-2008, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
let them go. just throw them out. Youwill never regret it.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#3 of 35 Old 03-16-2008, 04:00 PM

Removed
#4 of 35 Old 03-16-2008, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I give odd socks to my kids to use for various crafts projects. My Mom cuts them up and uses them as rags (well, the terrycloth athletic socks anyway- dress socks are too flimsy for this.)

Before tossing them, try offering them on freecycle. You never know if somebody else could use them for some kind of craft! Then, if you get no takers, you can toss them with a good conscience.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#5 of 35 Old 03-16-2008, 06:11 PM

I agree, try to freecycle, then the next time you buy socks, get all of one kind.
Dh has brown, heavy-weight black, and light-weight black, hiking, and running socks that are all the same.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#6 of 35 Old 03-16-2008, 06:55 PM

These are a few of the ways we use old socks in our house.
If you use thermos flasks, like we do a lot for picnics and DH takes one to work every day, we slip ours into a sock, with a slit for the flask's handle. Protects it for years.
DH uses them in his shoe polishing kit. Whenever I get some lone ones, i just swap them out with the old used ones.
When my 4 sons were small, I always kept a few clean socks in the first aid-medical kit... often had skinned knees and elbows etc. Just cut off the sock toes, and they're a quick bandage for keeping bandaids and dressings in place on knees and elbows and shins.
We used to put a bar of soap in the toe of a sock, put a knot in it, and then tie the other end around an outside tap for the kids to have a hand and foot clean before coming indoors. No more soap left to lie in a slimy puddle. DH still uses one in the sink in his shed.
If the tops haven't lost their stretch, chop off the top few inches, and use like big rubber bands.. I found them safer than rubber bands for kids...around bunches of coloured pencils, holding lids on shoe boxes, etc.
But whatever you can't use, yes, just toss.
#7 of 35 Old 03-16-2008, 08:42 PM

I have a small bin of mismatched socks just in case the missing one shows up. But after a while if none show up they get put in the rag drawer. I have dusted with them, cleaned, I use them constantly in the barn for all kinds of things.
#8 of 35 Old 03-16-2008, 08:46 PM

make them into sock monkeys and puppets and sell them on etsy or hyena cart.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#9 of 35 Old 03-16-2008, 09:21 PM

Dog toys! Stuff one inside another and knot it off. You could take them to an animal shelter if you don't have dogs (and pick yourself up a dog while you're there).

mom to DD 3/09
#10 of 35 Old 03-16-2008, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Oh, I forgot to mention rice socks. Fill with rice, tie off the end, and heat in the microwave when you need a heating pad.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#11 of 35 Old 03-16-2008, 10:33 PM

I use dh's old cotton ones to clean up the hard floors.... I leave them in a bag under the kitchen sink and when there are spills and yuck, but not enough to mop (or I just don't have the time, or OOMPH to do so) I throw on a pair (I've been known to put them on over shoes and spritz the floor with cleaner and "skate" it clean It's even kind of fun!
#12 of 35 Old 03-17-2008, 10:10 AM

I just threw out a whole garbage bag of mismatched socks. I was not hanging on to them any more. I have no idea how we got so many as we never seem to have many socks and I don't buy them very often (once or twice a year I'll pick up a few for the kids. I've bought socks once in the last 10 years for me, DH goes through a lot though. Most of his had wicked holes and runs in them which were unfixable)
#13 of 35 Old 03-17-2008, 10:53 AM

Are you a gardener? If you are you could use them to tie up taller plants! They won't damage the stems!
#14 of 35 Old 03-17-2008, 12:17 PM

I keep a small mesh lingerie type bag with all of the socks with no mates. I go through it periodically to see if a mate has shown up.

If no mate, I'd use them to dust. Or save them for washing your car (if you wash your own at home)...little socks are the perfect size for little hands that want to help.
#15 of 35 Old 03-17-2008, 04:54 PM

Unless your house is pretty much all decluttered just the way you want it, and you're doing purely maintenance decluttering, I'd toss 'em. Finding creative uses for things is, to me, not worth it unless the main job is all done.

(Actually, even if the house _was_ all done, I'd probably toss the socks. Keeping a couple dozen socks a year out of the landfill is a good thing, but it would require developing a whole "sock reuse system", and for me that time could be better used for other things that would have a larger positive impact for the effort.)

Crayfish
#16 of 35 Old 03-17-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayfish View Post
(Actually, even if the house _was_ all done, I'd probably toss the socks. Keeping a couple dozen socks a year out of the landfill is a good thing, but it would require developing a whole "sock reuse system", and for me that time could be better used for other things that would have a larger positive impact for the effort.)
:

If you happen to have some mismatched socks that you really like, with fun colors/textures, you could make them into beanbags. Like the OP, though, we have mostly black socks, and I'm not so enthusiastic about the idea of a basket of black beanbags. It's a bit too funereal for my taste.
#17 of 35 Old 03-18-2008, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great ideas. I didn't realize one could do so many things with old socks!!
#18 of 35 Old 03-19-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
I use dh's old cotton ones to clean up the hard floors.... I leave them in a bag under the kitchen sink and when there are spills and yuck, but not enough to mop (or I just don't have the time, or OOMPH to do so) I throw on a pair (I've been known to put them on over shoes and spritz the floor with cleaner and "skate" it clean It's even kind of fun!
Kind of OT, but, I was looking at the Bed Bath and Beyond flyer I got the other day and they had slippers with microfiber loops on the bottom for doing this on wooden floors. I thought how fun!
#19 of 35 Old 03-19-2008, 12:10 AM

We just have a generic "rag" basket. Anything that can be used to clean with, wipe the counter with, etc, goes in there. Absorbent cloth is absorbent cloth to me, LOL! So, if it lands in there, it might be used as a dishrag, cleaning rag, napkin, etc.
#20 of 35 Old 03-19-2008, 03:57 PM

Did anyone mention sachets? I've taken single socks and filled them with lavender... just tie the end up and tuck them in your sweater drawer to keep everything smelling nice!
#21 of 35 Old 03-20-2008, 04:03 AM

I periodically spend a day doing allll the laundry in the house. At the end of the day, whatever socks are unmated are destined to be lonesome for life because every sock has been washed. They get thrown out unless they have a super fancy pattern and I can make a toy from it.

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!
#22 of 35 Old 03-20-2008, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I love all these ideas!
You guys rock
#23 of 35 Old 03-21-2008, 12:38 AM

I have some waffley textured socks that work well as the inside absorbent layer for mama pads - I cut the heels out so they're not lumpy.
#24 of 35 Old 03-21-2008, 01:02 AM

Either sheet mulch them in the garden or add them to the rag pile.

coolshine.gifSHINE!  Yogini.  My tuna girlgoldfish.gif  Partner to Dteapot2.GIF  Our little flower is herelove.gif/surpriseuc.jpg
#25 of 35 Old 03-21-2008, 09:43 AM

If you are ever going to undertake a home construction project, they make great rags for staining wood trim. Of course, you don't need 100 of them
#26 of 35 Old 03-21-2008, 12:33 PM

This may be TMI about my dressing habits, but if they're all black... they match in my eyes. Seriously, my DH and I have a ton of white tubesock-type socks, and they all seem from slightly different types; some have a grey toe, some a darker grey toe, some are grey all across the bottom, etc. I just pair up any that are left after matching on the grounds that the only visible part is the ankle bit. The matchy-matchy socks go in the top drawer and the almost-matchy pairs go in the bottom, so that at least we know whether we're heading out into the world in slightly mismatched socks.

Unless your husband is in the habit of taking his shoes off in public, can't you just pair them up as closely as possible? Or am I just that much slobbier than the general population? (Seriously, it was my DH that first instilled in me the idea that socks should match at all.)

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#27 of 35 Old 03-21-2008, 01:46 PM

I have been burned by throwing away socks before.

I keep an "odd sock" basket in the laundry room. Whenever I'm folding clothes and come up with odd socks, I throw them in there, and periodically I go through it for matches. Usually I get several pairs that way.

However, any sock that's been in there "long term" is fair game for dog toys, dusting or shoe polishing, or tying up plants.

A few months ago I was reading on Hathor that she quit buying plastic water bottles for her family and started using glass jars filled with filtered water instead. They put the jars in a cooler (each jar in a sock) to take to the park, and if a jar does happen to get dropped, the sock contains the glass. I thought it was a great idea, but we already have Sigg water bottles, so I didn't need to do it.

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

#28 of 35 Old 03-24-2008, 01:03 AM

Stuffing for pillows or toys
Man rags (for the auto or woodshop)
Use for soft hair-rollers on long hair (roll wet hair up from ends and tie)
Cut apart and use pieces to clean guns or oil machinery
Fill toe with beans and sew; use as hacky sack

Homeschooling, organic gardening, jewelry-making, bread-baking pagan mama to Bubba:
#29 of 35 Old 03-24-2008, 02:13 PM

Adult socks with no mates I use as a dusting glove. Just slip it over my hand, spray and dust.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#30 of 35 Old 03-24-2008, 03:47 PM

I put them together, give them a bottle of wine and tell them to act like bunnies.

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page