solutions to petty problems - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 03-25-2008, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For me, it has been very annoying to deal with spice organization. Since becoming vegetarian I have amassed a large variety of spices. I buy most of them from bulk comtainers at the co-op, so they don't come in jars. I recently purchased clear plastic 'shoe boxes' and a few dozen clear glass jars and labels. I now need to find the time to go through the collection and bottle, label and sort the spices. My goal is to have 3-4 boxes of spice bottles that are arranged alphabetically.

I hated having the coats all sloppily hung on hooks by the front door. We rarely use that door as it is! I moved them to the closet by the garage door where we come in and hang the coats there. Eventually, I would like to put cubbies/hangers in the basement/garage to organize our shoes and coats and free up the closet space upstairs.

I was tired of never having space for clean towels in the linen closet. I moved the sheets to the bedrooms and downsized the number of towels we keep readily available. I vacuum packed the rest for when visitors come and we need more then 4 bath towels out. Now I have a mostly empty linen closet!

DVDs have been a sticky situation for me and DH- he likes the jewel cases, I hate them. The solution has been for me to get a binder and CD sleeves and to 'save' all the papers and inserts from the CDs/DVDs. We have way more CD 'pages' then we would otherwise, but at least now I don't have shelves of CDs and DVDs looking at me....

I was sick of feeling bogged down by our paper/bill filing system. We moved as many bills as possible to electronic notification only. I now have a few copies of our bills in digital formats and only a few paper files remaining.

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!
#32 of 47 Old 03-25-2008, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

ErinBird, I label all my smaller bottles and jars on their lids, rather than the side. I used to keep them on the lower shelves of my pantry in baskets that I can slide out. I can just see the jar I want at a glance, and it saves shifting rows of things to select the one I want. Now I have a pantry with big drawers, and most of my stuff is labelled on the lids, as long as it's below head height. Mightn't work for you, kind of depends on how the cupboards are etc, but it just thought I'd share in case it's any use. Hope this makes sense?
Lily
#33 of 47 Old 03-25-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie Mama in MI View Post

I too have solved my recyclable-bottle problem. Up until last week, we kept the giant plastic bags filled with soda bottles in our shed. Then I would have to nag and nag my husband for a month to get him to take the bags in and return the bottles. Now I keep the bags filled with recyclable bottles in his car. Guess what? They don't pile up any more.

Wow, my parents just solved this exact problem in the exact same way!

Actually, the straight-to-the-car method works well for us with clothing and books to be donated. Clothing goes straight to my car because I'm more likely to be near a donation box, books go straight to dh's car because he's more likely to stop at the used book store.
#34 of 47 Old 03-25-2008, 06:39 PM

those are great ideas

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

#35 of 47 Old 03-25-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerlerler View Post
aaahhhh. someone figured out the reason that all my sheets have tone-on-tone stripes....

stripes go up and down.

LOL--we bought striped sheets and thought we were geniuses because they would be so easy to put on the bed because of that! Lo and behold, apparently we bought crappy sheets, because the fitted sheet's stripes go side to side, and the flat sheet's stripes go up and down!! Argh! Apparently sheets made by 8-year-olds in Thailand do not have the best quality control.
#36 of 47 Old 03-26-2008, 03:45 PM

Hippy Mama in WI,

Would you consider sharing those menus? Menu planning is something I do but don't like--my kids are not adventurous eaters and my dh is no cheese, etc. kind of healthful eater and I'd be happy with a bowl of muesli, and apple and a good book--any help in that area would be appreciated.

Happy mom to DS2000, DS2002, DD2004, DS2006 and DS 10/2009:
#37 of 47 Old 03-26-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziek View Post
Hippy Mama in WI,

Would you consider sharing those menus? --any help in that area would be appreciated.
I was just about to do the same thing! Wow! I thought just as I turned on the 'puter, hmmmm maybe she would be willing to share those menu ideas? I seem to do the same 10 things. BORING!

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

#38 of 47 Old 03-26-2008, 06:46 PM

I'd love to see your menu pages too. :
#39 of 47 Old 03-27-2008, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Aaaaghh, here's another annoying thing I found this a.m. that I've been putting up with for years. You know the springy rod on the ironing board that is "supposed" to hold your iron's electrical cord out of the way. You clip the iron cord on the end of the rod and it holds it up in the air, and springs back and forth as you iron? My cord is ALWAYS slipping out of it, and yet I need it or I find myself ironing the cord. Over the years, I've had bits of foam with a rubber band around it, sticky tape, bulldog clips, pegs, you name it I've tried it. Nothing seems to work properly. So, I came to iron this morning, and got frustrated again with the present arrangement of a rubber block with a slit in it...as soon as I pull against the cord, out it pops. BUT I'm going to solve this for once and for all.
What do you ladies do, or is it only me who gripes about this? Yep, I know, there are more important issues in life than an iron cord grip, but it bugs me to bits. Suggestions? There HAS to be a solution.
#40 of 47 Old 03-27-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillydilly View Post
Aaaaghh, here's another annoying thing I found this a.m. that I've been putting up with for years. You know the springy rod on the ironing board that is "supposed" to hold your iron's electrical cord out of the way. You clip the iron cord on the end of the rod and it holds it up in the air, and springs back and forth as you iron? My cord is ALWAYS slipping out of it, and yet I need it or I find myself ironing the cord. Over the years, I've had bits of foam with a rubber band around it, sticky tape, bulldog clips, pegs, you name it I've tried it. Nothing seems to work properly. So, I came to iron this morning, and got frustrated again with the present arrangement of a rubber block with a slit in it...as soon as I pull against the cord, out it pops. BUT I'm going to solve this for once and for all.
What do you ladies do, or is it only me who gripes about this? Yep, I know, there are more important issues in life than an iron cord grip, but it bugs me to bits. Suggestions? There HAS to be a solution.
Replace it with one of those carabiner clips that so many people use for their keys?
#41 of 47 Old 03-27-2008, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

sorry, double post
#42 of 47 Old 03-27-2008, 11:58 PM

I just greased the squeaky hinges on our bedroom door which would creak everytime I went to bed (dd and dh sleeping), so now it is done and I can sneak to bed silently

Keeping my eye out for more petty problems. One I am reminded of is my spice cupboard. It isn't efficient either. I really like the magnetic metal containers that were mentioned in the small house thread as I too have a lot of spices in bags. Hmmm time to Do something about it.

Mama to two beautiful children. 

#43 of 47 Old 08-28-2008, 11:17 PM

great thread!

Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)

#44 of 47 Old 08-29-2008, 03:16 PM

Marlee, I found those spice containers at Bed Bath and Beyond. (Just in case you were still looking for them!)
#45 of 47 Old 08-30-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
I got annoyed with the drain rack being on the right of the sink. Much better for me to have it on the left since I hold the dish with my left hand while scrubbing with the right hand. I was slow to change it because the electrical outlet is on the left but I managed to rearrange things.
I had this problem at my old place, but the new place the disposal is on the right hand side and amazingly I don't mind doing dishes now! Everything is just set up better her for a righty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinBird View Post

I hated having the coats all sloppily hung on hooks by the front door. We rarely use that door as it is! I moved them to the closet by the garage door where we come in and hang the coats there. Eventually, I would like to put cubbies/hangers in the basement/garage to organize our shoes and coats and free up the closet space upstairs.
You totally just made me think about my options for our coats and shoes this winter! We don't have a closet by our garage, which is our main entrance, but we do have like a garage entry way. I think I'm going to hang some coat racks there and put a tray to catch muddy and snowy shoes! I always hate taking them off in the house!!

This is a great thread!!

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
#46 of 47 Old 08-30-2008, 07:39 PM

Oooh, I'm SO moving my dish drainer to the left side of the sink.

My dad has a two-story house. I thought he was the smartest person in the world when he said to me one day, "Where do you get dressed and undressed? Upstairs, right? So why are all of the laundry rooms in two-story houses downstairs? (Or worse, in the basement?)" He finished part of the attic and moved the washer and dryer upstairs.

Of course, now that I live there, I am slowly reconfiguring it so that it is the "closet", just like how the Duggars have their 'family closet' where the washers and dryers are. I always thought that was smart too.

My daughter got a set of sheets for her toddler bed, and the flat sheet had elastic sewn around the bottom corners, so it's incredibly easy to get onto the bed, no tucking in, you get the idea. Thought it was so smart that I took all my flat sheets for all the beds and sewed elastic around the bottom.

I started brushing my teeth in the shower after I read that Toni Braxton did that. I thought it was a great idea! But, since I only shower once a day, I keep a toothbrush and toothpaste in the shower. I shower at night, so I also have a toothbrush and toothpaste in the downstairs bathroom, so that I don't have to walk upstairs after eating breakfast just to brush my teeth.

Now, who has the magic solution to getting dishes from the dish drainer and/or dishwasher BACK to the cabinets?

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#47 of 47 Old 08-30-2008, 07:45 PM

These are some great ideas. I'll have to jot down my little daily annoyances.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page