solutions to petty problems - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 03-21-2008, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, the other day I read on a site somewhere about the all the little annoyances in our homes that we put up with simply because they are little things. It said that for a day or a week just to jot down all these things as they happen, and then find a solution. I was amazed how many things I had just not stopped to think about, and it was actually fun.
Eg: DH loves his cups of tea, but it was always a pain to carry a drippy used tea bag from our "tea and coffee making nook" to the trash bin: Aha, we found an itty bitty bin that hides in the nook and is just for his tea bags.

I was always annoyed about losing the potato peeler among the bigger utensils in the drawer. Aha. I hung it on a nail under the sink which is the only place I use it anyway.
My recipe books kept slipping down in the cupboard I keep them in. It took DH about 5 minutes to screw a metal bar in there to act as a book end and now they stay up.
We have a king size bed, and the sheets are almost a square but not quite. For years we would put the fitted sheet half on, only to have it the wrong way round, until last year, DH said, "I'm sick of this, can't you just mark the sheets, "Side" "bottom" "top" ? Just two minutes with a black marker, and we've saved ourselves hours of wasted little moments of frustration.
There are still things I haven't found an answer for:
Teenage DS simply CANNOT remember to hang up the wet bath mat, no matter what, it just doesn't register. I've thought of elastic to make it bounce back, a whoopy cushion sewn under it so when he steps on it, it reminds him, a sign sewn in the middle of it!!!?? It makes for interesting sleepless night mind games.
I'd really love to hear if other people are like me...if you've put up with stuff that could have been overcome easily for the sake of a few minutes time and effort and thought. Could we find solutions for each others pet peeves? It's fun to think outside the box sometimes. And sometimes the answer is just staring us in the face, but because it's the way we've always "done it", we just keep on putting up with things.
#2 of 47 Old 03-21-2008, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm impressed!

Unfortunately, I'm also the sort of person who will suffer the inconvenience of stumbling around a dark room for months, without it ever occurring to me to change the light bulb. Organisation.... not my forte. I put up a hook for my aprons once--that's about it! Oh,and I use scrappy paper to write shopping lists on, and keep the spare ones on top of the fridge. Super, no?

I'll be curious to read other people's responses, though--maybe I can pick up some tips.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#3 of 47 Old 03-21-2008, 12:21 PM

I'm with Smokering with this one-- it sounds fantastic but I have to work on the bigger things first, like remembering to change the darn sheets in the first place, etc. I think I'm much more like your son in that I just don't pay much attention to my environment!

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#4 of 47 Old 03-21-2008, 01:54 PM

We do this too. Or, really, I complain about something and DH fixes it. He's not Mr. Perfecto but sometimes it's nice to be married to an engineer who loves tinkering with things and figuring out ways to make things better/more efficient/etc.
#5 of 47 Old 03-21-2008, 01:55 PM

That's the only part of organizing I really like. Finding solutions to stuff. Half the time though, when I find the solution to one thing, I end up completely re-doing everything else too.
#6 of 47 Old 03-21-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillydilly View Post
We have a king size bed, and the sheets are almost a square but not quite. For years we would put the fitted sheet half on, only to have it the wrong way round, until last year, DH said, "I'm sick of this, can't you just mark the sheets, "Side" "bottom" "top" ? Just two minutes with a black marker, and we've saved ourselves hours of wasted little moments of frustration.
You mean you hadn't noticed that the elastic always went the same way?

Quote:
Teenage DS simply CANNOT remember to hang up the wet bath mat, no matter what, it just doesn't register. I've thought of elastic to make it bounce back, a whoopy cushion sewn under it so when he steps on it, it reminds him, a sign sewn in the middle of it!!!?? It makes for interesting sleepless night mind games.
How about a note on the door of the bathroom and one on his bedroom door until it becomes a habit?
#7 of 47 Old 03-21-2008, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
You mean you hadn't noticed that the elastic always went the same way?
It depends on the sheets they have. Some are elasticized all around. Some brands are elasticized along the width, others along the length. If they have the "all around elastic" type, or two (or more) sets with elastic in different locations, it will be harder to remember.

For the soggy bathmat, I was also going to suggest a note at your son's eye level reminding him to hang it up. How about something cutesy like "I hate wet feet, just like a cat, please be a sweetie and hang up the mat".

But there may be no simple solution to that one. It's one thing to do something to make it easier to find things for YOURSELF (new location for the potato peeler, etc) but something else altogether to make SOMEBODY ELSE remember to do something, especially if that person is a teenager!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#8 of 47 Old 03-21-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
It depends on the sheets they have. Some are elasticized all around. Some brands are elasticized along the width, others along the length. If they have the "all around elastic" type, or two (or more) sets with elastic in different locations, it will be harder to remember.
Eeeew, how would you ever... wait now I know how to handle it if I get scary sheets like that some day!
#9 of 47 Old 03-21-2008, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, the elastic goes all the way round on my sheets.
And I'll admit, I'd rather organize than clean. Give me a filing cabinet to sort rather than a floor to sweep, any day.
Would you believe I hadn't thought of a simple note for DS. Maybe a waterproof note pinned on the mat, and then when he steps on the pin....hehehe
(no, I didn't honestly say that. I'll use a safety pin.)
A big reminder note on the back of the door.. and it'll be out of sight to everyone else. I can't believe I didn't think of it before.
So thanks everyone.
Best Feeling, I have 2 engineer sons, and they got their inventive minds from hubby, so I'm lucky that way too. Trouble is though, whenever I see something I really like or need for the house, he's reluctant to ever buy anything. It's always, "I could make that.. I've got bits in the shed I could use". And then I have a hard time convincing him that I don't really want a coffee table made out of steel and angle iron!! Not complaining, he's wonderful, but we do end up with some unique things.

PS how do you get the little smiley icons into your posts. I'm new here, and they do put the right expression into posts. I'm always worried I'll sound serious when I'm being "tongue in cheek", and they can convey the right tone. Are they not on the "quick reply" option?
#10 of 47 Old 03-21-2008, 07:24 PM

No, they're not on the "quick reply" but you can type in the smile codes in quick reply if you've memorized them. I've memorized the ones I use most often, as I prefer using quick reply.

Full reply has a box with a few smilies on the side, plus a place to click to get all the smilies open up in a new window.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#11 of 47 Old 03-21-2008, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

thanks ruthla. I'll have to learn
Hooboy, I just found them all in FAQ s
What an impressive collection
Sorry, just showing off now. I had no idea how to do this.
#12 of 47 Old 03-22-2008, 01:57 AM

Do you have a glass shower door or a curtain? If you have a curtain, maybe you could attach the sign to the fabric so that it shows through the plastic layer?

Those are good ideas, btw
#13 of 47 Old 03-22-2008, 02:05 AM

aaahhhh. someone figured out the reason that all my sheets have tone-on-tone stripes....

stripes go up and down.
#14 of 47 Old 03-22-2008, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Loitering: Glass doors. Good idea though. I'd stick it on the outside of the glass, but you see he'd forget again between stepping out and toweling off! He's our 4th boy, so I'm kind of used to teenage boys living on some other planet.. Hormonia?
I think a sign on the back of the door will work. He does have to open the door to get out, and it's the last thing he does, so no excuses. I'm off to print up a sign.
I like your little poem Ruthla, but ummmmm... I might just have to add line to it, like,
"if not, you'll wear it, and that's THAT!"
#15 of 47 Old 03-22-2008, 09:43 AM

my problem... coffee pot on one side of the kitchen sink on the other, had too many steps in between when getting water
my solution... pitcher of water next to the coffee pot that I refil every couple of days

my problem... wanted to start brushing everyones teeth after eating
my soultion... since we wash hands at the kitcen sink when we clear the table I brought the toothbrushes in the kitchen so now when we wash our hands we also brush our teeth.
#16 of 47 Old 03-22-2008, 02:25 PM

My problem with the sheets is that I rotate the bed quarter turns since it is so close to square and neither dh nor I (nor ds, lol) are tall. It's nice having an extra little bit of width and I figure it will help the mattress wear evenly. I flip it, too, occasionally. It's a lower end mattress so it needs all the help it can get. I think I need to color code the sides of the mattress, mattress pad, and sheets.

I got annoyed with the drain rack being on the right of the sink. Much better for me to have it on the left since I hold the dish with my left hand while scrubbing with the right hand. I was slow to change it because the electrical outlet is on the left but I managed to rearrange things.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#17 of 47 Old 03-22-2008, 02:46 PM

Hmmm. I'm all for rooting petty little annoyances out of my life. Let me think about what they are!

I'll be back later...

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

#18 of 47 Old 03-22-2008, 08:07 PM

My DH rocks at figuring out those types of little solutions. I'll usually just live with it, but if I complain to him, he'll figure out a solution:-).

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#19 of 47 Old 03-22-2008, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

I'm thinking of more too.
An area in our shower room, between the shower and the vanity, that collects hair and lint, but is just too small for the vacuum head to reach and a pain to have to reach in and wipe out every time too. It just bugs me every time I do the floor in there.
Just thought of a solution here now. Find a lidded basket the right size to fill in the gap and use it for... something or other.
DH likes a hot drink while he's using the computer, and misses the coaster I have there, so sticky rings end up round it. Solution: A cork placemat instead of a coaster. Her can't miss that, surely?
Never having a pen at the phone.. this is a world wide thing, surely. My Mum always had hers on a little chain, so no one could "borrow" it from there. But I just put up with never having one there when I needed it, till recently. Why? because it would take a minute to do it, never mind how many hours I've wasted over the years searching for a pen.
#20 of 47 Old 03-23-2008, 12:10 PM

What a great thread. I do have little annoyances here and there. I know we recently addressed a few of them but I cant even remember what they are!!! LOL I will post when I remember.

I am with you on the king sheets. I put them on wrong *every time* .. annoying. I will mark them now! Ours have elastic all around as well.

One thing I did about a year ago is purchase a shower curtain rod that has a second rod, in front of the "main" rod. You can hang your towels on that rod to dry, and they dont interfere with opening and closing the shower curtain. Love it.

I will think on this.
#21 of 47 Old 03-23-2008, 12:32 PM

Good ideas to think about. Next time I'm getting grumpy about petty things like that, I'll try to think up a quick and useful solution, instead of complaining We're moving in a week, so I'm sure to have plenty of opportunities to work on it!!

Carlyn - loving and caring for my family.
Married 13 years, mama to 12 (boy), 8, 6, 4, 1 (girls)
#22 of 47 Old 03-23-2008, 02:47 PM

We live in a small condo and have little storage place. We have a hall closet where most of it hides. This may sound silly but for years I've kept all my brooms,vacuum cleaner and ironing board right at the front when you opened the door. Everytime the ironing board would fall forward as I opened the door-it was so aggravating. Finally two weeks ago I thought to myself-why don't I move this dumb ironing board into our spare bedroom closet because its so rare I even use it. This has made such a difference because now I can open the door with ease and not worry about the dumb ironing board falling on my toddler. Its amazing how it took me so long to even think to change this!
#23 of 47 Old 03-23-2008, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

You ladies have me on a roll now:
One of the best things I did recently was finally clip a lanyard on my bag for car keys. I cringe when I think of how much of my life I've wasted searching for car keys in my bag.
I finally worked out to put my lip gloss where I keep my toothbrush.
#24 of 47 Old 03-23-2008, 11:44 PM

Maybe I am too drastic, but I would just take away the whole bathmat and tell him to towel off in the shower from now on.

That's what we did in my house when I was growing up. You can keep a nice, dry matt closer to the sink to stand on to brush teeth and whatnot.
#25 of 47 Old 03-24-2008, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Madskye, thank you, but do you know that I tried that too, and basically it just meant that he trekked wet footprints all the way from the bathroom to his bedroom. Which wouldn't worry me except that we have cream tiles that show every water mark
And I'd keep one at the sink which would get his feet dry, but he only showers in this room. Does his teeth and shaving at the laundry tub outside his bedroom which is great. So, basically he needs a mat outside the shower to dry his feet (also the tiles are scarily slippery when wet).
He's a good kid really, and this isn't such a huge issue either, just something that I figure I don't have to put up with any more.
Yep, I also just pick it up any time I notice it myself, because it is just "small stuff".
But lots of small stuff adds up sometimes.
And I've tried calling him back every time too, thinking he'd finally get sick of being interrupted to go back just to pick up a bathmat. But no, he's a teenage boy, so
I really think the sign on the door is going to work for this.
#26 of 47 Old 03-24-2008, 12:53 AM

I thought of a solution for a problem today! I'm always irritated by my recycling system. We can recycle so many different things, but it always went like this: leave cans and glass on the counter til there's no room left, or leave cardboard and plastic in the small bin til it's overflowing. Then take it out onto the porch and find the dirty, half-filled bag to put it all in - or if I'm in a hurry, just set it all outside and wait til later to sort it. Of course, then it gets gross and I'm less likely to actually recycle it.

So today I bought four bins that sit on top of each other (and you can still access the contents from the front). I actually bought them for toys but realized they'll be perfect for my recycling. They'll only take up the same little area that my small kitchen, but I'll fit so much more in and then just empty each container into the appropriate bag.

I'm so happy with this idea
#27 of 47 Old 03-24-2008, 01:16 AM

I keep one-week menus with complete shopping lists on my computer. I have seven weeks' worth now. When I need to stock the pantry in a hurry, I just choose a week, print the shopping list, and jump in the car. When I have extra time, I plan up another week's menu, save it, and add it to the pile.

I too have solved my recyclable-bottle problem. Up until last week, we kept the giant plastic bags filled with soda bottles in our shed. Then I would have to nag and nag my husband for a month to get him to take the bags in and return the bottles. Now I keep the bags filled with recyclable bottles in his car. Guess what? They don't pile up any more.

Homeschooling, organic gardening, jewelry-making, bread-baking pagan mama to Bubba:
#28 of 47 Old 03-24-2008, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

oooh, I just have to share this one. My DH just proudly announced that he had just found a solution to an annoyance too. He said, "You know how we keep tea bags and tea leaves in those two cannisters that look the same? Well, I was always opening the wrong one, and it was a pain. Well, I've solved it. I just put the lid back on the tea BAG cannister with the tea bag string and tag hanging out. Now I can see at a glance which is the tea bag one"... all said with a little boy proud-as-punch-grin.
"BUT", says I, "the cannisters have labels on the front saying "T-BAGS" and "T-LEAVES" in black and white clear as day printing, right there on the front".
AAaaggh... how little it takes to bring a big man down
#29 of 47 Old 03-24-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
oooh, I just have to share this one. My DH just proudly announced that he had just found a solution to an annoyance too. He said, "You know how we keep tea bags and tea leaves in those two cannisters that look the same? Well, I was always opening the wrong one, and it was a pain. Well, I've solved it. I just put the lid back on the tea BAG cannister with the tea bag string and tag hanging out. Now I can see at a glance which is the tea bag one"... all said with a little boy proud-as-punch-grin.
"BUT", says I, "the cannisters have labels on the front saying "T-BAGS" and "T-LEAVES" in black and white clear as day printing, right there on the front".
AAaaggh... how little it takes to bring a big man down
aww, poor guy. Clearly the labels weren't working for him though, so....
#30 of 47 Old 03-24-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie Mama in MI View Post
I keep one-week menus with complete shopping lists on my computer. I have seven weeks' worth now. When I need to stock the pantry in a hurry, I just choose a week, print the shopping list, and jump in the car. When I have extra time, I plan up another week's menu, save it, and add it to the pile.

OOOHHHHH.....I like that one. Too much of my time is spent meal planning and we end up with much of the same stuff anyway.

Quote:
One of the best things I did recently was finally clip a lanyard on my bag for car keys. I cringe when I think of how much of my life I've wasted searching for car keys in my bag.
My new purse has this feature built in. It's really great.

The things I noticed and changed were: Putting the sheets in the room they are used in, not a linen closet. It saves me time from searching for the correct size and when a bed has been wet, I don't have to leave the room to change it. (Or worse, take the sheets off only to forget to return to the room to resheet it and have it bare when the kids are over tired and it's past bedtime )

I put all the DVDs in a zippered case rather than the jewel cases so that I don't have jewel cases all over.

Screwed hooks into the wall inside my kitchen cabinet for stuff that is easily lost. The peeler, measuring cups, baster, ice cream scoops, etc.

I couldn't stand the piles of soda cans that would be all over so I used one fo the 'camping trash cans' that collapse when not in use, to store cans before I return them to the store. The great thing is, it's not heavy even when full of cans, collapses closed when I am done and want to finish shopping and is leakproof, so no sticky residue on the carpet in the rear of my van every time I return the buggers!

Now I just need to find a solution to the paper clutter (basket or filing....not so good for me!)

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page