I think i have a purging problem - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 03-24-2008, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have totally de-cluttered everything from kids toys, closets, kitchen cabinets, down to the spice rack, the bathroom and i am looking for more stuff to purge, i actually sit here and think what else can i orginize...do i have a problem here?
#2 of 51 Old 03-24-2008, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

i even went through my old picture box from HS and my 20'S and threw out the lame pictures.
#3 of 51 Old 03-25-2008, 03:30 AM

Just wondering... did you grow up in a cluttered environment? Sometimes people react by going to extreme opposites. Or, if you grew up in a very minimalistic household you could be *following in the family tradition*.
#4 of 51 Old 03-25-2008, 05:53 AM

Why don´t you start helping others? Friends, family, single moms..
#5 of 51 Old 03-25-2008, 05:56 AM

Come organize my spices? Actually, my whole pantry needs help, but I have a toddler who also wishes to help.....

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!
#6 of 51 Old 03-25-2008, 09:37 AM

Yes you do have a problem! And so do I! LOL

My dh said to me the other day "Just make sure to leave me some underwear"

Thats how often I like to go through stuff and purge and nothing is sacred anymore. In fact I went from a 1 year rule to a 6 month rule. If it hasn't been used in 6 months it's gone and I'm not going to ask before I get rid of it!

We need help!

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#7 of 51 Old 03-25-2008, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larablue View Post
Why don´t you start helping others? Friends, family, single moms..
haha thats funny i just did this on friday, i helped my friend that has a daycare and is a single mom totally organize her play room, i even bought the spray paint and we sprayed her really old changing table to a antique white and also her baskets....we got a coffee table from the thrift store that i found and painted that too...i was there from 5 to 11pm i told her to throw out the old toys that are broken and give away some of the others....it looks so good now and she is stoked.
#8 of 51 Old 03-25-2008, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by takebirthback View Post
Yes you do have a problem! And so do I! LOL

My dh said to me the other day "Just make sure to leave me some underwear"

Thats how often I like to go through stuff and purge and nothing is sacred anymore. In fact I went from a 1 year rule to a 6 month rule. If it hasn't been used in 6 months it's gone and I'm not going to ask before I get rid of it!

We need help!
viva de cluttering!!!! Yea my husband is the total opposite, he has a memory to everything from lanyards to underwear...its bad man...my side of the closet is half full and his is full with clothes bulging from the top shelf...i think i purge me and my kids stuff to compensate for his clutter....
#9 of 51 Old 03-25-2008, 03:54 PM

Location: Learning about ancient history along with the kiddos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottothinkpositive View Post
i actually sit here and think what else can i orginize...do i have a problem here?
Yes, your problem is that you're not at my house.
#10 of 51 Old 03-25-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avent View Post
Yes, your problem is that you're not at my house.

Just what I wanted to say!!

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#11 of 51 Old 03-25-2008, 11:36 PM

I feel the same way too. Always, looking for more to declutter. Today I watched Oprah about the hoarding problem this woman had and it really put things into perspective for me again. Everytime I see how bad people have it I feel so relieved I am just the opposite. Makes me feel so organized. Sometimes if I visit other peoples homes I come back feeling so thankful for my place.
#12 of 51 Old 03-25-2008, 11:47 PM

I wish I had you problem!

Mama to lots of kiddos.

#13 of 51 Old 03-26-2008, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottothinkpositive View Post
I have totally de-cluttered everything from kids toys, closets, kitchen cabinets, down to the spice rack, the bathroom and i am looking for more stuff to purge, i actually sit here and think what else can i orginize...do i have a problem here?
WE'RE . . . . NOT . . . . WORTHY . . . !

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#14 of 51 Old 03-26-2008, 08:29 PM

A purging problem? I suffer from that periodically too, and I laughed when I read this thread because I got on the de-cluttering roll last week, and now even my stationery stuff, my sewing desk, all those fiddly junk drawer things like rubber bands, paperclips, tape etc, are all neatly sorted into little plastic drawer sets.
But ladies, I have an added problem. Once I have things de-cluttered and organized, I get hooked on labelling.

When I'm on a roll, look out, anything that stands still longer than 3 minutes gets labelled . Last week DH stood staring in wonderment at his sock drawer, which is now sporting a nice neat label stating, "socks". Aaaah, he says, how very handy, I've been wondering what those things were in there
#15 of 51 Old 03-26-2008, 10:18 PM

OH wow your an inspiration!
I actually only go in waves.. and well right now is def not one of my waves

Shelly, Mom to Sophia 5 Nicholas 3 & 2 Angels
Its a GIRL! Alyssa Ann 6/29/10 7lbs 5 oz
#16 of 51 Old 03-26-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillydilly View Post
Last week DH stood staring in wonderment at his sock drawer, which is now sporting a nice neat label stating, "socks". Aaaah, he says, how handy, I always wondered what those things were in there
I am a labeller, too!

Kath contented vegan mama to my trio of free-range boys
Permaculture Design Student & Wannabe Urban Homesteader
#17 of 51 Old 03-27-2008, 10:15 AM

I'm a labeller, too. DH will sometimes just open up a cabinet, spot the new label, roll his eyes and say, "We really needed a label for that?"
#18 of 51 Old 03-27-2008, 11:07 AM

Purging issues over here. Dh asked that I keep the toothbrushes Funny thing is I notice lately he has gone through and purged through his items. House is easier and easier to keep clean.

I love what someone said earlier about nothing is sacred anymore - I obviously have some sort of issue in that I have items that cause me stress. Can't get rid of that cause it was from so and so issues. Well, I'm letting go of that and boy does it feel good. Palpable stress out the door with said items!

I love that this thread and forum is here.
#19 of 51 Old 03-27-2008, 11:40 AM

LOL btw! Take this any way you want- This is like saying, I cannot find pants that fit my really long legs! Or I hate how all these men are always asking me for dates and taking me to dinner!

OTH, I love the labeling posts I could hear my dh now if I started labeling each and everything. I too get the declutter bug and go thru everything. I think its healthy to move things along that are no longer blessing your home or useful. Someone else can find a use for it.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#20 of 51 Old 03-27-2008, 11:41 AM

How, please tell me how you ladies all do this??? How is nothing sacred? I really need to know. I want to purge and declutter, but everytime I start to make some headway, my sentimental attatchment kicks in, and I freeze. Any and all advice appreciated.
#21 of 51 Old 03-27-2008, 11:58 AM

If I started labeling stuff DH would slap me. I do label some things like the craft supplies stored in boxes. If I labeled his sock drawer he would freak though.
#22 of 51 Old 03-27-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socialworkmamma View Post
How, please tell me how you ladies all do this??? How is nothing sacred? I really need to know. I want to purge and declutter, but everytime I start to make some headway, my sentimental attatchment kicks in, and I freeze. Any and all advice appreciated.
First, invite the OP to come live with you.

or

Why feeling sentimental? IS it over outgrown toys or clothing or other items? Find things that can fit in a small box for each member and that can be your sentimental box. Everything else is fair game.

The Decluttering Questions:

Do I love this item?

Have I used it in the past year?

Is it really garbage?

Do I have another one that better?

Does it have sentimental value that causes me to love it?

Does it give me guilt and make me sad when I see it?

What does this represent?

Why am I afraid to get rid of it?

How long am I going to carry it around?

Does it bless my fmaily? Could it bless someone else's family?

I know pople who have these printed out and carry them with while decuttering. I myslef would pick an item, and then read through the questions. I have gotten rid of a ton of stuff on "How long am I going to carry it around."

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#23 of 51 Old 03-27-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmlife View Post
Purging issues over here. Dh asked that I keep the toothbrushes Funny thing is I notice lately he has gone through and purged through his items. House is easier and easier to keep clean.
Mine too! I am slowly crawling toward a decluttered house and at first he accused me (in a teasing way) to throwing EVERYTHING away.

Just the other day, he actually got excited about helping me declutter his closet.

I purged old pictures too. I sat down next to the shredder and started feeding the lame ones into it as I saved the good ones.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#24 of 51 Old 03-27-2008, 11:49 PM

HA HA...I laughed hard when I read your post. I ask myself the same thing all the time. I can spend an entire day organizing and ridding my house of un-used things, and by bedtime I am questioning things I kept. I have such a desire to simplify and live minimally without materialistic things that I too only want what is sacred in my home. What really represents who I am. Nonetheless, like the last post, I too get sentimental and keep things for that very reason. Although, I find the next time I organize, I'm okay with letting something go that 2 weeks before I couldn't part with. Weird!
#25 of 51 Old 03-28-2008, 01:59 AM

I was hanging onto some things my Mum gave me that were her mother's. I thought I should keep them because they were so old, therefore maybe rare, therefore maybe valuable, even though I thought they were rather ugly.
Out of curiosity one day I did a search on Ebay for the same things, just to get an idea of value. Shock horror! There they were on Ebay for not very much money, and quite a few of them. I donated them in the give away bag happily
Every time I want to de-clutter stuff, DH says, "but if people didn't keep stuff, how would we ever have museums". Fair enough, I suppose, but I'll leave that to the people who like living among a lot of things, and I'd rather visit a museum than live in one. He saw someone's terrific collecton of old matchbox cars from back when they first were made, and then suggested our boys should have kept all theirs, because if someone doesn't, history will be lost etc etc.
I really need a good come back for this. I just ask him does he want to end up in a few hundred years, like Tutenkamen, with his treasures on the cover of National Geographic, but still dead? and that my life's too short to worry about museums in the year 3000.
Not a good come-back. Anyone got a better one?
#26 of 51 Old 03-28-2008, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillydilly View Post
I'd rather visit a museum than live in one.
This on it's own is a pretty good comeback. Those old cars WILL end up somewhere. And no matter where Somewhere is, there's always the hope that they'll be discovered and curated.

Reassure Dp that even if it's a landfill, archaelogists will probably dig them up anyway.... after sifting through mounds of disposable diapers and "obsolete" computers. Our generation has produced enough tchotchkes that future historians should have no questions as to how we once lived!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#27 of 51 Old 03-28-2008, 11:59 AM

I printed off Amys1st list and taped it to the linen closet last night.

I have been able to tackle the everyday areas but I know our household challenge will be getting rid of the "treasures" that are currently in the attic and basement (out of sight, out of mind)

DH husband thinks his old Jim Bean whiskey bottles are worth so much money. I searched EBay and the exact same bottles are listed for $2 or less. Unfortunately, I am going to have to prove him wrong in order to get rid of some of the stuff.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#28 of 51 Old 03-28-2008, 06:28 PM

If no one here has read the book It's All Too Much by Peter Walsh, go get it right now! It's the best book ever. I absolutely love it. I just finished reading it for the second time in 6 months (I never remember books and movies; my brain just does. not. like to store them for some reason.). It goes through every room in the whole house and everything you need to do to clear it out of all the stuff you don't need, use or love. This book is SO much fun to read!

OP:
I am EXACTLY the same way. It's gotten to the point where I think about it every day, and wonder what areas I might be able to "do over" (for the 4th time). Since my daughter was born a little over two years ago, I've become a total neatnick and Love to purge stuff. Nothing is sacred is totally how I feel, too.

The bad part is that my husband keeps -everything-. Since he ends up with so much paper/computer stuff boxes/crapola in his computer area, I just try to keep it halfway organized-- not for him, for ME! I can't stand the mess. I'm sitting in the middle of it right now and I wish all the flat surfaces were clear and clean and everything had a place and the millions of random tiny objects were gone! But it's his area, and I can only hope that he'll come around one of these days and see the light, heh. He's still stuck in the "It's too valuable/I might need it someday" way of thinking. I could go on forever about this stuff. :-p

The major things I still want to do are consolidate our 600 dvds into cases, alphabetically... that will take a while; I wish it was done now! I have them all in a closet on their stands, because my daughter loves messing with them. Matter of fact, it's about time to go through them all (again) and donate the ones that we don't like anymore. My daughter loves to help fill up Donation Bags. :-p

The greatest thing out of all of my crazy neatnick/purge-o-holic/cleaning madness is that our house looks BEAUTIFUL. It's so clean and simple and gorgeous. It's so incredibly relaxing and calm here now. There isn't clutter everywhere. Everything is clean and organized. I feel like I can do anything! I also feel like we have so much time to enjoy our lives and go and do things and have family experiences together. I'm taking my dd to the National Aquarium next week. :^D I'm so excited!

"Waking up this morning, I smile. Twenty-four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion."-Thich Nhat Hanh 
#29 of 51 Old 03-28-2008, 09:15 PM

I printed the decluttering questions and plan to start putting them to use tommorrow! Thanks!
#30 of 51 Old 03-28-2008, 09:52 PM

Danidama, Yay, you said it so well. Every now and then I walk around our home, and pretend it's a holiday unit or health spa that I've booked into for a holiday, and I try to see it through the eyes of a paying guest. Really helps me sort out what's just clutter and what looks serene and balanced. I've always loved the feel and look of motel rooms, just because they're so uncluttered, and I'm always drawn to photos of those Eastern meditation rooms with 2 mats and a table. No, our house doesn't look like that LOL, but so often visitors comment on how serene and "relaxing" it feels. Some have even said, they feel like they're on holidays or something.
And like you too, my DH... well, let's not even GO there. Fortunately (or maybe not so fortunately LOL) he has a big shed, and he can keep all his stuff in there. He's a real handyman so i don't complain too much. I helped him go through a lot of stuff yesterday to give away, and once he saw the space opening up, well, I think he must be starting to like the idea of less. Even as I'm typing this, I can hear him over there now moving stuff around. I might just back the trailer in there for him before he changes his mind.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page