Does anyone know what to do with car seats? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-01-2008, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have two infant seats with bases and three large car/booster seats. My big kids are in different booster seats now and the bigger seats will be more than six years old by the time the baby is ready for them, so I want to get rid of them. I dropped stuff off at a thrift store last weekend and I asked if they take car seats and they don't. I understand because of not knowing the history, but is there anyone that might take them? The seats have never been in an accident or damaged in any other way, and it seems so wasteful to throw them out when they have some good use in them. And I really need them out of my garage because they take up a lot of room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2008, 04:36 PM

we pass them along to friends or friends of friends, through neighbors, preschool, wherever. Once you start offering up seats for free people will take them if you are "vouched for" by someone they know.

where do you live? I have been looking for a car/booster seat...
Old 04-01-2008, 04:42 PM

You could free-cycle them or give them to a crisis pregnancy center. I *think* you can hand them into the fire dept. or a seat check place and they will check them out...If they deem them to be safe I think they are donated to mothers in need. I'm sure a car seat guru will be along any moment now...
Old 04-01-2008, 05:05 PM

I think that you can also donate them to your local police station. I read( awhile ago) that you they need them sometimes when they need to transfer a child.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraNicole View Post
You could free-cycle them or give them to a crisis pregnancy center. I *think* you can hand them into the fire dept. or a seat check place and they will check them out...If they deem them to be safe I think they are donated to mothers in need. I'm sure a car seat guru will be along any moment now...
this would be a wonderful idea.
Check with your church ... there may be a PG mom who needs one.
If you list them with FreeCycle, you'll get rid of them quickly.

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

Old 04-03-2008, 05:35 PM

Our local shelter takes them. I was half afraid to ask because of the possible prior accident issue but they were thrilled.

The director said straight out that hand-me-down seats are better than nothing as the families will go without seats. (Crazy I know, but I certainly don't doubt her. Plenty of people in this area don't use car seats after the infant stage and never seem to get caught.)

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 04-04-2008, 01:29 AM

I just remembered too that Graco seats are supposed to be recyclable - take off the fabric and the straps and all the plastic parts including the bases are recyclable. I know you are still hoping to find someone to use your seats, but if anyone comes across this thread they'll be informed...

User Tag List