I'm starting to get kind of snotty with my freecycle messages... and it's working - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-06-2008, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've had it with people not showing up.

I've had it with the five billion stupid questions.

So, last week, I put a bunch of stuff on the curb and posted this:
Quote:
I have set the following out on the curb in front of 123 XYZ Street:
* 1 green Emmaljunga "pram"-type stroller. I don't know how to fold it, so you'll have to figure it out
* 1 older stroller (NOT umbrella style). It's faded and dirty from being in the garage, but still works great and is really comfy and padded
* 1 black folding bar stool
* 1 small bag of girl's clothes, approx. sizes 6,7, 8

I'm putting these out on the curb because I can't deal with the endless questions and no-shows. If you want them, come and get them.

I'm not answering questions about them. Please don't ring my doorbell. I'm homeschooling, I have a baby who might be napping, and we're running errands later and may not even be home.

I will try to update as things are gone so no one makes the trip in vain.

Thanks!
Not only was it all gone by the end of the day, but I got two emails from people who said they felt my freecycle pain.

Posted something similar about some plywood on Friday; it was gone by today (it had rained so she asked if she could wait to pick it up)

Today I posted:
Quote:
I have two small boxes of books and old Country Cross Stitch magazines. They were out on our "sleeping porch" and while they don't seem to be too damaged, they are a bit weathered and dusty.

You must take them all.

You must come pick them up (I am in XYZsport, near Brandon Park/Curtain Middle School/St. Boniface.)

And I am not fielding questions about what exactly there is. Think of it as a lovely spring reading and crafting surprise.
and
Quote:
I have a Sunbeam Air Purifier for grabs. I have no idea if it works or if it needs a filter.

You must come pick them up (I am in XYZport, near Brandon
Park/Curtain Middle School/St. Boniface.)

I know nothing about this other than the fact that it's an air purifier. It's by Sunbeam. And it's on my porch waiting for someone to pick it up and I am not bringing it back in to plug it in or see what size it is or anything else.
Both spoken for.

It's weird. People on Freecycle must like tough love.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2008, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That's why I'm having such a hard time! I do give people way too many chances and it ends up making my DH angry.. he'd rather throw this stuff away than have it sit in the way for days on end..

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Old 04-06-2008, 09:22 PM

That's awesome!

Though I have to wonder...

Quote:
You must take them all.
How do you police that if it's at the curb?
Old 04-06-2008, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Only the first post was at the curb. The other two I'm going back to the old ways. We'll see if it bites me in the butt.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 04-06-2008, 09:39 PM

Good for you, and glad it worked. We can't do curb alerts in my Freecycle.

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
Old 04-06-2008, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Huh. I hope we're allowed to here. No one yelled at me.

I'm just sick of the endless questions. It's like no one has ever heard of google or mapquest.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:00 PM

LOL I love it.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:11 AM

I haven't had much luck with actually GETTING things from Freecycle. I see something I'd like, email the poster, and never hear back from them. Some times I see a post later that it's gone, sometimes I don't.

Is this the way it normally works??

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

Old 04-07-2008, 01:15 AM

I think thats against the freecycle rules? the curb thing?

But I totally see why you'd want to do it

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:13 AM

Some people seem to feel that not being snotty means you've got time and really want to babysit them through every little detail.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:51 AM

Well done!
I have had endless trouble with no shows on freecycle. Last week I offered a child's bike on Monday and stated it had to be collected by Friday. A guy emailed me about it and I said he could collect anytime I was here and gave my address and phone number. On Thursday afternoon he called while I was not here and then on Sunday I got the following email........

" called you three days ago, but seemed you are out or unvailable.
Could you please let me pick it up from the City Center when you are in your way to the center any time. Sorry for requesting that because we have just moved to the UK and we do not have a car yet. If you do not mind, please email me and specify any time that suits you."

What?!?!? Why did he agree to collect by Friday if he didn't have the ability to do so? Why is he asking me about this on Sunday when Friday was the cut off point?

I must be really soft because I was almost thinking of doing it?!?
Old 04-07-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonsterMommy View Post
Good for you, and glad it worked. We can't do curb alerts in my Freecycle.
Neither can you on mine. I'd love it. I just don't answer any questions and you get one chance to p/u when you said you would or I move over to the next person.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

Old 04-07-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post
That's awesome!

Though I have to wonder...

How do you police that if it's at the curb?
I don't know if the OP answered that question or not--but a person could still pick and choose if they thought they wouldn't get caught or recycle the rest if they thought that they had no choice but to take them all.
Good for you, OP, for getting tough...glad it's working. Weird how a little bit of tough love seems to have worked out better for you. People are weird. But I can totally understand where you are coming from.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:35 PM

Good for you. I wish that would work here, but the weather is still too unsure. Sudden rain/snow/freezing would destroy a lot of stuff!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Old 04-07-2008, 05:02 PM

Good job!

My DH handles our freecycle items and he must exhibit the right mix of firmness/detail because people have always shown up on time and taken exactly what they said they would. THANK GOODNESS!!!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 04-07-2008, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

I think the curb thing is a locally-decided rule. We can do curb alerts and "spotted" notices if we see a neighbor has something out.

I scored a picnic table last night. It was a total long shot, but I figured I had nothing to lose my asking. Now I just need to figure out how we'll pick it up.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Now I just need to figure out how we'll pick it up.
Yeah, cuz you don't want to no-show, that's for sure.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
Old 04-07-2008, 06:13 PM

So I basically need to get evil for freecycle to work? Thanks for the tip. I have so much stuff to freecycle but it scares me because it sounds like a total pain. I'll list something later with your rules AM and see if I can get control over this stuff.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Not evil, just... firm.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:49 PM

My freecycle has a twice yearly free-for-all. so this weekend everyone brings the piles of crap that they haven't gotten rid of, and get to shuffle through everybody else's piles of crap to see if theres anything they want =D It's great! All leftovers get donated to habitat for humanity.

It's great not having to wait around for no-shows or respond to 50 people who want what you offered or something similar and if you have it in red would you have a spare blue one lying around because their sister's friend's uncle lost his leg and is wheelchair bound and tryin to put his grandson in college and really needs it.

Wife to one : Mama to 4 Gramma to 1 :
Old 04-08-2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaTX View Post
My freecycle has a twice yearly free-for-all. so this weekend everyone brings the piles of crap that they haven't gotten rid of, and get to shuffle through everybody else's piles of crap to see if theres anything they want =D It's great! All leftovers get donated to habitat for humanity.

It's great not having to wait around for no-shows or respond to 50 people who want what you offered or something similar and if you have it in red would you have a spare blue one lying around because their sister's friend's uncle lost his leg and is wheelchair bound and tryin to put his grandson in college and really needs it.
That's such a great idea! Where does your freecycle find the space to hold this?

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Old 04-08-2008, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Well, dang it. My air purifier lady didn't show. Now I move on to step two. I am making A List. I plan on giving a lot away--we're decluttering--but no shows are going on My List.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:17 PM

I have "A List" - and it's getting long :

You do have to be firm. We can't do curb alert postings on our local freecycle, but it's so bad now that I put a "you must pick up by x date" and "please do not reply unless you plan to drive here and get x item"!!

It's sad the way people feel it's ok to waste someone else's time!
Old 04-08-2008, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Sigh! My Freecycling honeymoon is coming to a close. Maybe it's time to go back to the old way---thrift store drop-offs and pick-ups. At least the GoodWill van comes reliably.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 04-09-2008, 03:55 PM

Why anyone bothers with freecycle is beyond me. I really just don't have the patience for it. It seemed like such a great idea in the beginning.

I have gone back to dropping things off at Goodwill instead. If it's something too big for me to move, or worth selling, I post it on craigslist or call Habitat for Humanity to pick it up.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaknit View Post
Why anyone bothers with freecycle is beyond me. I really just don't have the patience for it. It seemed like such a great idea in the beginning.

I have gone back to dropping things off at Goodwill instead. If it's something too big for me to move, or worth selling, I post it on craigslist or call Habitat for Humanity to pick it up.
I'll second that

Decluttering 500/2010
Old 04-09-2008, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

I've kind of had it as well. It's great for getting stuff, but I am sick of people not following through. I'm on Person Three for this air purifier.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:22 AM

This is the high cost of free. People have absolutely no investment in the system, so it's no skin off their noses to flake.

I find freecycle really great for getting rid of or acquiring things of no cash value (moving boxes, partially used art supplies, concrete detritus for making raised beds, packing materials) or things with a cash value that are for some reason difficult to sell or move (I've gotten rid of a loom and nice yarn, for example). The former category is obviously beneficial to both parties; the latter category is obviously one party being extremely generous. The problems seem to show up when both parties can think of themselves as doing the other guy a favor - if you take this broken appliance to fix, did I give you the value of the appliance or did you give me the value of the space and the gas and time it would have taken to take it to the dump? If you take this box of old romance novels that you're going to sell at .75 each to increase your ratings on half.com or swap on paperbackswap, same thing - who is better off on the deal? It's impossible to say, so both parties can feel like they're being generous and then feel put upon when the other guy doesn't bend or is flakey or asks a million questions.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have it great here in that I can leave things out early on trash night and some guy with a pickup truck will haul it away. Presumably he is mostly doing it for scrap metal so I don't feel bad about putting out old appliances that don't work.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
Old 04-11-2008, 04:02 AM

I've pretty much given up on freecycle and craigslist, too. Sooo many no-shows, just plain rude people, etc. I just take things to the thrift store lately.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

User Tag List