Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 04-30-2008, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz View Post
OK now that is of interest. Is the time 0 because the house is always neat and clean or because you simply would say to heck with it I'm not cleaning this place? LOL. If its the first would you please care to show pics to the rest of us for inspiration?
It's always neat and clean. I've posted pix before, but here are some again. They're old pictures, but nothing has really changed in the house. We're just a naturally tidy family. Even dd is good about cleaning up her messes when she if finished playing with something.
#32 of 53 Old 04-30-2008, 12:17 PM

less than an hour, for either dinner or overnight guests. I keep the house pretty darned tidy on a regular basis, so it would just be a matter of running the vac and sweeping up a bit if it hadn't already been done that day; and then for overnight guests, changing the sheets on the guest bed.
#33 of 53 Old 04-30-2008, 02:20 PM

I said 1 - 3, but it would be closer to 3, and I am assuming ideal working conditions (ie: I could just work because the baby was sleeping, the kids were out, and I didn't have work to do from my WAHM job).

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#34 of 53 Old 04-30-2008, 04:14 PM

I put 1 hr or less but that's assuming my DH were home to help. If not, 1-2 since I'd have to mop/vacuum and that always takes more time than I think it will.

Even at the height of cleanliness, no one would be allowed in the spare room/office, tho'.
#35 of 53 Old 04-30-2008, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm amazed to say it, but about an hour. (for it to be really nice) I admit though, that I have done it in 15, when really panicked. That did include minor stashing (ie, throwing dirty table cloth in hall closet.)

gottaknit... I *love* flylady!!!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#36 of 53 Old 04-30-2008, 05:12 PM

:A month? Maybe more?

Katie, mama to Katherine 21, Christian 19, Johannah 17, Nicholas 12, Genevieve 10, Matthew 7, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with my husband, Scott
#37 of 53 Old 04-30-2008, 05:16 PM

lol, I posted thinking overnight guests too. Close people I don't care if they see how bad it is. An acquaintance or casual friend would warrant a couple hours of cleaning, a very important guest or someone who intimidates me since they're perfect housekeepers would be a few hours and having some bedroom doors closed in case they have to go upstairs to the washroom
#38 of 53 Old 04-30-2008, 05:31 PM

We have one of those terrible, IMO, open floor plans. So I'd have to clean everything to make it presentable. And worse than that is the tiny apartment with no room aspect.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#39 of 53 Old 04-30-2008, 08:43 PM

On a good day, 15-30 minutes, on a bad day (somebody sick, very busy, or whatever) more like an hour.

P.S. We have a pretty small apartment, that makes it all much quicker to whip into shape.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#40 of 53 Old 04-30-2008, 09:11 PM

I voted 1-3 hours. I'd be ready for a good friend in 15 minutes though. It's little things, like clean dishes in the dish drainer or art projects out that would take a little more time. Plus, I always make sure to empty the trash and other stuff like that if anyone "important" is coming by.

Robin, strong and happy single mama to Anna (7/06)
"Au milieu de l'hiver, j'ai découvert en moi un invincible été."
#41 of 53 Old 04-30-2008, 09:28 PM

I say 2-3, but mostly because I am obsessive about everything being in place for guests. Before I host a party I scrub the floors on my hands and knees, wash the baseboards, reorganize all closets and cabinets just in case, etc.

For a very important guest to come by I would have to pick up the toys, make sure the dishes and laundry were washed and put away, vacuum the floor and furniture, wash the tables, and mop the floors. Even if I had already done those things I would redo them.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#42 of 53 Old 05-01-2008, 04:20 AM

less than an hour.
#43 of 53 Old 05-01-2008, 04:30 AM

I put this to the test today. My sister called me 20 minutes before she got here and by the time she arrived my house was clean and I was sitting down drinking a glass of water.
#44 of 53 Old 05-01-2008, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
I put this to the test today. My sister called me 20 minutes before she got here and by the time she arrived my house was clean and I was sitting down drinking a glass of water.

Woo Hoo! Way to go!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#45 of 53 Old 05-01-2008, 02:31 PM

Hey, my option's not on there! It's ready right now. :^D I am living simply as a minimalist neat-freak with a love of donating any and everything I don't need, want, use or love on a regular basis. I think I got it all in there.. heh. And I've never been happier in my whole life! It's funny, how every time since our dd was born, I think, This is the happiest day of my life; could life GET any better than this?! -- and then every day after that is better and better and better and better and better...

and now today is the happiest I've ever felt, so far, and also, better is a funny jumble of werds to me now. hee.

Here's another funny word: Hug.

"Waking up this morning, I smile. Twenty-four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion."-Thich Nhat Hanh 
#46 of 53 Old 05-01-2008, 02:35 PM

I've been thinking about this thread.... So, this is just me thinking out loud, and certainly not directed at anyone.

But don't you all think we deserve to live in homes that are Good Enough? I mean, what makes these people so special that we should spend half a day or longer preparing for their visit? If my house were really that messy, how could I (or DH, or the kids) enjoy being at home? And if it's not that messy, and I'm spending all that time preparing for them to visit, then maybe I'm just being insecure.

Just food for thought.

Sheesh, I sound like freakin' flylady... :
#47 of 53 Old 05-01-2008, 03:55 PM

I can be ready in 15 mins for just about anyone, but I'm a neat FREAK, so if I had overnight guests coming or was having a party, I voted 3-6 hours. But that's because I would clean everything. And that is because I am crazy.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#48 of 53 Old 05-01-2008, 06:15 PM

My house looks like a tornado hit. It would take 24+ hours right now. If somebody took the kids so dh and I could work together it would be about 3hrs, but with a toddler it makes everything that much slower (especially when he throws stuff on the floor faster than I can pick it up, lol)
#49 of 53 Old 05-01-2008, 06:32 PM

I voted 1-3 hours, but that's knowing that I'd be trying to get it ready with both kids underfoot. But I can do probably under an hour even on the worst days, with no kid interruptions. I can do it in around 2 hours with kids underfoot I think.

It's more about personal items for me than it is about actual dirty or messiness, because I do think we deserve to live in a guest-level clean house. However, when it's just us, it's more practical to have the things we'll use that day out: stroller in the hallway, the sewing box I'm using out on the counter, dds paints out on the art table, a basket of laundry on the bed so I can fold it while the kids nap, etc. (I have a tiny washer and we cloth diaper, so I run about 2 loads a day, one am, 1 pm.) With guests, I want that stuff picked up, bc we won't use it that day. So I like to have 1 day notice, so dh can be sure to get the laundry put away, more personal items put away, etc. during his evening clean up. (I do cooking, he does pick up; I do laundry wash n fold, he puts away).

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#50 of 53 Old 05-02-2008, 12:14 PM

More than a day.We just moved though! From a 3 bedroom townhouse to a 1 bedroom apt the size of our former kitchen/living room.

Maybe in a week I'll be ready for guests!
#51 of 53 Old 05-02-2008, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd say less than an hour because

a) the house is really, really small

and

b) it's a crappy old house, so there's only so much we can do to make it look good.

#52 of 53 Old 05-02-2008, 10:58 PM

Well we had a pox party here today, so I cleaned the entire basement playroom/family room in about 40 min last night, and the kitchen/living/dining room in about an hour this morning, 15 min in the bathroom, and shut the bedroom doors and dh's office door.

Usually it's about that. And I tend to hold a playgroup once a month just so I can clean up.

If I needed to leave the bedroom doors open, well, tbh, all the stuff that's out would be shoved in the closets and those doors shut. To clean it properly, an hour for each room, and an hour for my laundry and dh's office.

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#53 of 53 Old 05-03-2008, 10:11 PM

1-3 hrs depending on if I need the bedroom all clean

Shelly, Mom to Sophia 5 Nicholas 3 & 2 Angels
Its a GIRL! Alyssa Ann 6/29/10 7lbs 5 oz

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page